This news has been received from: mercurynews.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

The community has spoken — and it appears they have swayed San Jose leaders.

Faced with overwhelming opposition from residents across the city, San Jose leaders are quickly pumping the breaks on a plan that called for allowing about 75 new digital billboards on private properties along the freeways, as well as some smaller signs on private downtown buildings and public land.

Councilmember Raul Peralez, who for years has been the most vocal proponent of the plan, on Tuesday called for the city to “completely halt” the proposal and remove it from the city’s list of priorities — a distinction it had been given for the past four years in a row.

In a memo released Tuesday afternoon, Peralez said that his original intent behind the proposal was to “generate new revenues and improve the quality of life for some of our poorest neighborhoods who live with the status quo of blighted paper billboards.” But in light of the coronavirus pandemic and in response to community feedback, he now believes that bigger and more pressing matters deserve the city’s attention.

“At this time, we should move on and truly focus on the herculean task of recovery for our city,” he said in the memo.

A citywide ban on new billboards has been in place in San Jose for more than 35 years. Proponents of the ban have long argued that they create visual blight, distract drivers and negatively affect the environment and surrounding wildlife.

But billboard industry executives and lobbyists have spent the past half-decade pushing San Jose to overturn the ban, arguing that new digital signs could help energize the city.

Peralez and his team, in particular, have facilitated dozens of meetings and calls with billboard industry representatives in recent years, according to email records obtained by this news organization. In some instances, staff in Peralez’s office have even taken input from industry lobbyists to craft the language behind his billboard proposals, records show.

The unveiling of the councilmember’s new stance — outlined in the Tuesday memo — comes just a day after the community grassroots organization ‘No Billboards in San Jose’ submitted a petition to city leaders with more than 600 signatures in opposition of the proposal.

The city’s planning department last week also released an online survey seeking input from residents on the billboard proposal. As of Tuesday, at least 80% of respondents had answered that they were “strongly opposed” to allowing new digital billboards to be built along the city’s freeways, according to the planning department.

John Miller, one of the leaders behind the organization, called the latest developments “gratifying.”

“We always felt the vast majority of residents in San Jose would object to this if they knew more about it and I think we’ve been proven correct in that notion,” Miller said.

The San Jose City Council was scheduled to discuss the proposal during a Thursday meeting on the city’s top priorities for the upcoming year — also referred to as the “City Roadmap” — but Deputy City Manager Kip Harkness announced in a memo on Monday that the matter would no longer be appearing on the agenda.

“For the purposes of the City Roadmap, this electronic billboard policy work is anticipated to be substantially complete by the end of fiscal year 2020-2021, and therefore does not need to appear on the Draft Roadmap for fiscal year 2021-2022,” he wrote.

Despite the anticipated summer completion date, Peralez said he wanted to scrap the plan before any more work was done on it.

Updating the city’s sign ordinance and in turn, dismantling a decades-long ban on new billboards in San Jose, was divided by the city council into two phases.

In September 2018, the council completed phase one of the update when it voted 9-2 to allow digital signs on 17 city-owned sites that could accommodate up to 22 signs. The measure passed without almost any input from the residents due to what they say was inadequate community outreach on the city’s behalf.

But more than two years later, the contracts for companies to erect those signs have yet to be awarded after sign companies protested certain city provisions, along with delays caused by the pandemic.

Peralez is recommending that the city move forward with plans to award the contracts in the coming months and leave that work “unaltered,” but proponents of the city’s billboard ban also want to fight this from taking effect as well.

Under the proposed phase two amendments, which Peralez is now asking to be shelved immediately, San Jose would allow private property owners to erect free-standing billboard structures on approximately 75 freeway-facing sites in addition to an undisclosed number of digital signs on privately-owned downtown buildings and on structures in the public right-of-way, such as light poles and public restroom facilities.

The phase two proposal mandates that billboard companies seeking to erect a sign on a freeway-facing site must take down at least four dilapidated, paper billboards, though there is no removal requirement for the building-mounted signs downtown.

Unlike the first phase, where San Jose will earn some advertising revenue from the signs on public buildings, the city would reap little to no profits from the second part of the plan.

Related Articles
  • San Jose mayor launches vague new advocacy organization. Here’s how he explains it
  • ‘This is outrageous’: Residents protest big rate increases from San Jose Water
  • Opinion: San Jose vaccine distribution needs to be delivered equitably
  • Historic monument in San Jose’s Japantown defaced overnight
  • San Jose backs $3-an-hour ‘hazard pay’ raise for grocery workers

Mayor Sam Liccardo, who has been opposed to dismantling the city’s billboard ban since the beginning and voted against phase one of the plan in 2018, wrote in his own memo submitted before Peralez on Tuesday that the city needed to understand the impacts of phase one before moving onto the second part of the proposal.

“At best eyesores, and at worst, a dangerous distraction to motorists, I’ve characterized such signage as a giveaway to the advertising industry, without any clear public benefit to the community or taxpayers,” he wrote. “… We shouldn’t be surprised that residents have begun a drumbeat of vocal opposition, joined by environmental and other non-profit organizations.”

News Source: mercurynews.com

Tags: mr roadshow cartoons pac 12 hotline celebrities mr roadshow cartoons pac 12 hotline celebrities environment san jose city council transit transportation city’s billboard on the city’s the city’s the second part the city’s downtown buildings planning department phase one san jose leaders the proposal from residents san jose the contracts the community the community that the city according city council the council the plan fiscal year the city

Search of River Resumes for Bodies of 2 Missing Children

Next News:

Kinky sex-themed hotels in Britain – complete with sex dungeons and raunchy room service hampers

COUPLES wanting to spice up their relationship can head to a number of hotels and B&Bs around the UK with raunchy extras to take advantage of.

Here are the best sex-themed hotels you can stay in across Britain when the lockdown lifts.

The Secret Dungeon, High Wycombe 12You can stay at the Secret Dungeon in High WycombeCredit: Secret Dungeon 12Guests have unlimited use of all of the equipment in the roomCredit: Secret Dungeon 12The room has even featured on Celebrity Come Dine With Me

The Secret Dungeon, which calls itself "boutique self-catered accommodation and BDSM play-space" is located close to the High Wycombe train station.

Inside the room is a double bed and a hot tub, which remain the two tamest parts of the room.

This includes a "fully equipped dungeon" with leather swings, chains and other "equipment".

It has even appeared on Celebrity Come Dine With Me.

Rooms start from £230 per night.

Better Than A Bed, London 12Better than a bed is a B&B dedicated to BDSMCredit: Better Than A Bed 12The room has full use of the accessories and toysCredit: Better Than A Bed 12Guests can stay overnight with everything available in the roomCredit: Better Than A Bed

Instead of staying at a hotel, Better Than A Bed is a self-contained apartment which says is themed around the"joys of adult play".

Inside the building is a play-space in the dungeon, with extensive toys and accessories dedicated to BDSM.

All of the equipment is free to use by guests who stay.

Rooms start from £250 per night.

Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel, London 12Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel has raunchy room service as well as a dedicated roomCredit: Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel 12The hot tub is private to guestsCredit: Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel 12A Box of Grey comes with a number of toys and items to useCredit: Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel

One of the first S&M suites to launch in the UK, most of the Karma Sanctum Soho Hotel rooms don't look like anything out of the ordinary.

However, guests can order a Box of Grey, which are velvet lined boxes with toys and items delivered to the bedroom.

There is also Room 404, the Box of Grey suite with a fully equipped toy cupboard which includes accessories and restraints.

Staying for your wedding night? They have a themed wedding box too, all of which you can keep.

Rooms start from £187.

Hotel Pelirocco, Brighton 12Hotel Pelirocco has a number of sex-themed roomsCredit: Hotel Pelirocco 12One has a bed with stocksCredit: Hotel Pelirocco 12Another has a pole dancing areaCredit: Hotel Pelirocco

Hotel Pelirocco has a range of themed rooms, from Star Wars to Dollywood, although has three raunchy rooms too.

The Lover's Lair has an 8ft round bed and pole-dancing area while the Nookii room has a bed with stocks and a sheer-wall shower.

There is also a Japanese love hotel themed room called Kobito Love with floor to ceiling windows, a raised platform bed and large bath in the bedroom.

Other guests can buy the Kobito "love hampers" ranging from £35 to £260 with different toys, accessories and treats inside.

Rooms from £96 per night.

Most read in News TravelDREAM A LITTLE DREAMFirst look at Disneyland Paris' new Dream Factory opening this yearDOG'S BALEARICSMajorca & Ibiza hope to follow Portugal, Greece & Cyprus in welcoming BritsGIRL TOWERDisney opens its first PC castle, with plenty of room for 14 diverse princessesRIGHT JABQantas will only let passengers who have Covid vaccine on international flightsBA-D ASSHow BA flight attendant CAUGHT pilot sucked from cockpit at 23,000ftLONDON'S CALLINGInside ‘UK Disney World’ London Resort planning to open in 2024

You can also go on a sex, scandal and sodomy tour around London.

A study found that one in five Brits who have had sex on a plane did it with a member of the cabin crew.

Single tourists have even flocked to two Italian islands for "sex pilgrimage" holidays which include naked hikes and phallic-shaped rocks to pray on

Other News

  • The newspaper library uncovers Hernández Hernández, the controversial Madrid derby referee: Favorite team? Barcelona
  • PRO Act gains socialist support: The Democratic bill that would crush right-to-work laws
  • Dozens in Florida get COVID vaccine by posing as health care workers
  • FIFA 21: How to complete Guaranteed What If Player SBC – Requirements and solutions
  • 13 of the most controversial royal couples of all time
  • Dozens in Florida get COVID-19 vaccine by posing as health care workers
  • Meghan Markle broke her silence on her father, Thomas Markle Sr. Here's a complete timeline of the drama.
  • Game On: NWHL to Complete Virus-Disrupted Playoffs in Boston
  • Dozens of Migrants Scale Fences Into Spain's Melilla Enclave
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said they left the royal family due to a lack of support and lack of understanding. Heres a complete timeline of their relationship.
  • Dozens of migrants scale fences into Spains Melilla enclave
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said they left the royal family due to a 'lack of support and lack of understanding.' Here's a complete timeline of their relationship.
  • State halts controversial construction on Marsha P. Johnson Park
  • Fauci’s controversial ’60 Minutes’ interview about mask wearing was one year ago
  • Mumford & Sons member Winston Marshall faces backlash after praising controversial conservative writers book
  • Will LeBron James get COVID vaccine? His controversial answer
  • New Yorks top legislative leaders call on Andrew Cuomo to resign
  • New York Democratic Leaders Stewart-Cousins and Heastie call on Cuomo to resign from office
  • Switzerland votes to ban face coverings including burka and niqab in controversial referendum