Feb 28, 2021
Vanessa Bryant reacts to LAPD request to redact deputies names
This news has been received from: New York Post
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Originally Published by:
- Kansas officers hurt in possible explosion in downtown Wichita
- Montana massive 30-car pileup blamed on icy bridge
- Virginia hit-and-run kills off-duty police officer
Kobe Bryant’s widow Vanessa Bryant said Saturday that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department wants to redact the names of deputies who allegedly took photos at the helicopter crash site that killed her husband, daughter, and seven others.
“The Sheriff’s Department wants to redact the names of the deputies that took and/or shared photos of my husband, daughter, and other victims,” she wrote in an Instagram story Saturday afternoon.
Her lawyers filed an amended complaint this week against four L.A. County sheriff’s deputies, alleging they took photos of the helicopter crash site and the remains of Kobe Bryant and 13-year-old Gianna Bryant, the Los Angeles Times reports.
County lawyers argue that unsealing the deputies’ names would make their addresses and other personal information public, potentially turning them into targets for hackers and others who wish to do them harm, according to the newspaper.
The Department of Homeland Security is encouraging police officers nationwide to increase their online security over fears that officers are being targeted with doxxing tactics, The Associated Press reported last year.
The DHS report said the agency has “medium confidence that cyber actors will possibly continue to target law enforcement officers.”
Forty-three law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty last year, and 43 more were killed the year before that.
Vanessa Bryant argued Saturday that “anyone else facing allegations would be unprotected, named and released to the public.”
“Not all law enforcement is bad,” she wrote. “These specific deputies need to be held accountable for their actions just like everyone else.”
She originally sued the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department in September, seeking damages for negligence, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.see also
L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said last year that he ordered eight deputies to delete graphic images they took at the scene of the crash.
“That was my No. 1 priority, was to make sure those photos no longer exist,” Villanueva told NBC News in March. “We identified the deputies involved, they came to the station on their own and had admitted they had taken them and they had deleted them. And, we’re content that those involved did that.”
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill in September that makes it a misdemeanor for first responders to take photos of a crime scene for any reason other than an official law enforcement purpose.
Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and six others were heading to his Mamba Sports Academy in Ventura County on a cloudy January morning last year when the helicopter they were flying in crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, northwest of Los Angeles.
National Transportation Safety Board investigators said in a report earlier this month that pilot Ara Zobayan lost his bearings when flying through the clouds and thought he was ascending when he was actually banking.Filed under celebrity deaths , kobe bryant , lapd , Vanessa Bryant , 2/28/21
News Source: New York Post
Tags: search celebrity deaths kobe bryant lapd vanessa bryant county sheriff’s department sheriff’s department county sheriff’s law enforcement officers vanessa bryant saturday in september the deputies kobe bryant los angeles were killed took photos
How Long Will The Derek Chauvin Jury Remain Anonymous?
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The judge who oversaw Derek Chauvin’s trial in George Floyd ’s death said the jury would remain anonymous until he deemed it safe to release their names, in an effort to not just protect the 12 jurors from outside influence but also to preserve Chauvin’s right to a fair trial.
Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill hasn’t said how long their names might stay secret. He told potential jurors in the runup to the trial that their names would come out eventually, but assured them he would protect their privacy as long as he feels it’s necessary.READ MORE: Derek Chauvin Sentence: How Long Will He Spend In Prison?
HOW LONG MIGHT IDs OF CHAUVIN JURY STAY SECRET?
Names of jurors and other data such as questionnaires normally become public soon after trials in Minnesota. But in a case similar to Chauvin’s — the 2019 trial that led to the conviction of former Minneapolis Officer Mohamed Noor in the shooting death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond — Hennepin County Judge Kathryn Quaintance waited more than 18 months before agreeing to release the names.
Even then, it took legal action from the Star Tribune to get the names unsealed. And the judge released only names, with no additional identifying information.
HOW COMMON ARE ANONYMOUS JURIES?
They’ve become more common in the U.S. in recent decades. Sometimes judges approve them in organized crime cases. Examples include the 1987 and 1992 trials of John “Teflon Don” Gotti and the 2019 trial of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán.
There was an anonymous jury for the 1993 trial of Laurence Powell and Stacey Koon, two of the Los Angeles police officers accused of beating Black motorist Rodney King, as well as for the trial of three African American defendants accused of beating white trucker Reginald Denny in the riots that followed the officers’ acquittal.READ MORE: Its Very Encouraging: Faith Leaders Hope Chauvin Verdict Lifts Racial Justice Work
But judges have also approved them in trials, including civil cases, in which the only risk to jurors was the possibility of being approached for news interviews afterward, according to the Freedom Forum Institute.
Minnesota first empaneled an anonymous jury for the 1993 trial of alleged gang member Shannon Bowles in the slaying of Minneapolis police Officer Jerry Haaf in 1992, according to the William Mitchell Law Review. The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled in 1995 that keeping the jurors’ identities under wraps did not infringe on Bowles’ right to an impartial jury or his right to be presumed innocent, and set out rules for future anonymous juries.
WHAT IS KNOWN ABOUT THE CHAUVIN JURY?
Chauvin’s jurors were referred to only by number in open court. Cahill and attorneys for both sides tried to avoid eliciting identifying information from them during the selection process. The video feed did not show the jurors. According to the court, six of the jurors were white, and six were Black or multiracial.
The foreman was Juror No. 19, a white man in his 30s who said during jury selection that he works as an auditor. The man described himself as someone who tries to resolve conflict and make decisions based on facts, not emotions, and said he has a friend who is a canine officer with the Minneapolis Police Department.
That man said he supported Black Lives Matter in general but disagreed with actions by some BLM activists. He had an unfavorable opinion of Blue Lives Matter. He wrote in his questionnaire that he had heard Floyd was on hard drugs but didn’t think it should affect the case. “Whether you are under the influence of drugs doesn’t determine whether you should be living or dead,” he wrote.MORE NEWS: New Mugshot Released As Derek Chauvin Is Booked Into Maximum Security Prison
(© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)