Apr 07, 2021
Family questions investigation after Marvin Bouler, 82, fatally shot by Gary police in 2019
This news has been received from: abc7chicago.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
GARY, Ind. (WLS) -- After a great-grandfather was killed by Gary police, his family is now questioning the timing of an investigation happening more than a year after his death.
In November 2019, Gary police shot 82-year-old Melvin Bouler outside a condominium complex. Police said officers were responding to reports of a man with a gun.
SEE ALSO | Man, 82, shot by Gary police
Activists and Bouler's family are now demanding answers.
"We don't know what police shot him. We don't know if they were put on desk duty. We don't know if they were fired," said Kwabena Rasuli, Black Lives Matter activist.
"This incident was not of my father's character. He was not a threat to anyone," said Eric Bouler, his son.
Bouler's son called his father "gentle" and "hard-working."
"He told us he believed in Gary. Unfortunately this allegiance cost him his life," Eric Bouler said.
In a federal lawsuit filed last month, Bouler's family claimed he was shot at least seven times. They question why deadly force was used, claiming Bouler was unarmed and hearing impaired.
"You talk about things that cause communities to doubt and lose confidence, this is one of those things. You haven't even identified the officers," said Robert Beeman, Bouler family attorney.
Now the family is suing the city of Gary, the police chief and the officers involved in the shooting, claiming wrongful death, plus constitutional, civil rights and other violations.
The city of Gary declined to comment on pending litigation and the police department has not responded to our requests for comment.
The Lake County Indiana Sheriff's Office said it has completed its investigation of the shooting and now the county prosecutor wants a grand jury to review the case.
News Source: abc7chicago.com
Tags: black lives matter police shooting officer involved shooting man shot we don’t know if ’t know if they don’t know if we don’t know don’t know ’t know if family the shooting the officers police shot
Yankees Jay Bruce to retire after Sundays game
NEW YORK (AP) — Jay Bruce will be retiring after the New York Yankees’ game against Tampa Bay on Sunday.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone made the announcement before New York played the Rays.
“He actually came to me at the start of the series,” Boone said. “He let me know his thinking.”
The 34-year-old Bruce is a three-time All-Star outfielder. He went to spring training with the Yankees on a minor league contract and made the major league roster as a first baseman when Luke Voit injured a knee.
Bruce is hitting .118 with one homer and three RBIs in 39 plate appearances, and he remained active for Sunday’s game.
He has a .244 average with 319 homers and 951 RBIs in 14 major league seasons with Cincinnati (2008-16), the New York Mets (2016-18), Cleveland (2017), Seattle (2019), Philadelphia (2019-20) and the Yankees.
More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.