Apr 07, 2021
College student from Joliet injured in Quincy bar beating that attorneys say was racially-motivated
This news has been received from: abc7chicago.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Police downstate are investigating the beating of a 19-year-old college student from Joliet that left her with visible injuries.
It happened last weekend in a bar in Quincy, and police said that bar's owner was involved.
Jazzpher Evans' face is badly cut and marked with bloodied abrasions.
Attorneys for the 19-year-old college basketball player from Joliet said that's how Evans was left after she was beaten and left unconscious.
Quincy police are investigating fight at a downstate bar early Easter morning.
Attorneys for Evans say the owner of a bar called "The Barn" in downtown Quincy violently attacked the young woman.
Evans' attorneys believe the incident was racially provoked. Quincy police, so far, are calling this a "complicated investigation."
A Joliet West High School graduate, Evans is a freshman at Quincy University where her family said she was recruited to play basketball on a full scholarship.
In a statement released by Evans attorneys, they say the owner "approached Jazz and a young fellow Quincy University White Female Student (who were both standing near the DJ Booth requesting a change to the music) and violently pushed Jazz against the wall."
Attorneys say Evans was thrown to the ground and "then placed Jazz in a full choke hold and strangled her until she lost consciousness."
As Quincy police investigate, they're asking for people to wait for more facts.
Jazzpher Evans and her family in Joliet will be talking to the media along with their attorneys Thursday morning.
News Source: abc7chicago.com
Mossimo Giannulli completes 5-month sentence for college admissions scandal
More On: college admissions scandal Olivia Jade and Bella Giannulli picked up dad Mossimo from prison Mossimo Giannulli released from prison two weeks early Olivia Jade still promoting Sephora after being dropped as ambassador Brandi Glanville throws shade at college admissions scandal
Mossimo Giannulli — who was allowed to serve the final days of his five-month sentence under house arrest — has completed the brief stint for his role in bribing schools on behalf of his children as part of a larger college admissions scandal.
According to federal inmate records obtained by People, Giannulli, 57, was officially released Friday, one day ahead of his April 17 release date.
Daughters Olivia Jade, 21, and Isabella “Bella” Rose Giannulli, 22, along with his 30-year-old son from another marriage, Gianni Giannulli, went together to pick their dad up last Friday from a federal prison outside Santa Barbara, Gianni told “Extra” host Billy Bush.
The two girls had a special surprise as well, as they hid in the back seat and popped up when he got in the car.
The designer was sentenced back in August for his role in bribing his daughters’ way into college, alongside wife, “Full House” TV star Lori Loughlin, 56. The pair pleaded guilty in May to paying $500,000 to get their two daughters accepted into the University of Southern California as crew recruits despite not being rowers.
He was also ordered to pay a $250,000 fine and perform 250 hours of community service.
Loughlin did two months behind bars before being sprung in December.Filed under college admissions scandal , jail , lori loughlin , mossimo giannulli , 4/17/21