Apr 07, 2021
Edward Brown Gets One Year In Prison For Test-Firing Gun, Starting Chain Of Events Leading To 2 CPD Officers Deaths In 2018
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CHICAGO (CBS) — A man has been sentenced to one year in prison after test-firing a gun he found – setting off a chain of events that left two Chicago Police officers dead back in 2018.
As CBS 2’s Meredith Barack reported, Edward Brown is not facing more time behind bars because of his lack of a criminal record, and because he is not legally responsible for the officers’ deaths.READ MORE: Feds Accuse 2 Truckers With Chicago Connections Of Kidnapping Women, Recruiting Them Into Prostitution; FBI Looking For Potential Victims
Brown was sentenced Wednesday. Court records show he pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.
The sentencing comes more than two years after officers Conrad Gary and Eduardo Marmolejo responded to a ShotSpotter alert near 101st Street and Dauphin Avenue in the Rosemoor neighborhood.
The officers were struck and killed instantly by a South Shore Line train while pursuing Brown, who admitted he had been firing shots near the railroad tracks.
Police said body camera footage showed the officers were distracted by an oncoming train and they never saw the train behind them.READ MORE: Illinois Secretary Of State Closes Driver Services Facility In Midlothian After Employee Tests Positive For COVID-19
Brown’s attorney anticipated the initial charges, which also included reckless discharge of a firearm. Sentences vary depending on criminal history, and this was Brown’s first arrest.
CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller explained why Brown is not responsible for the officers’ deaths.
“He is responsible for being in possession of a handgun, and not legally possessing that handgun – and unfortunately, what occurred in this case is the ultimate of tragedies, where two police officers lost their lives,” Miller said. “But that wasn’t foreseeable for him, you know, that the officers got struck by the train.”
Miller said this is a typical sentence for first-time offenders, and what 99 percent of other defendants in Brown’s position get.MORE NEWS: Chicago Weather: Rain Likely By Daybreak
Brown has been out on bond and will get credit for 30 days served.
News Source: cbslocal.com
Tags: chicago news investigative chicago police edward brown rosemoor chicago news investigative the officers’ deaths for the officers’ officers’ deaths the officers’ the officers were the officers were police officers brown is not edward brown miller said not legally
Boxing fans express concern for Oscar De La Hoya after ‘train wreck’ interview on Jake Paul vs Ben Askren card
BOXING fans expressed concerns for legend Oscar De La Hoya following his appearance on the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren broadcast.
The Golden Boy joined the Triller broadcast team early this morning ahead of former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir's clash with Steve Cunningham.4Oscar De La Hoya's appearance on the Triller broadcast sparked concern among boxing fansCredit: TRILLER 4Oscar De La Hoya didn't appear to be clear-minded during his appearance on the Triller broadcastCredit: TRILLER
And moments into his interview, it became apparent the Olympian wasn't completely sound of mind.
De La Hoya slurred his words at times and repeated himself on several occasions.
And viewers of the broadcast were quick to share their worries for the six-weight world champion, who had previously admitted to substance abuse.
One said: "Oscar De La Hoya looks like he's been partying before and during this entire show."
Another boxing said: "This is a train wreck with Oscar De La Hoya.
And another said: "They need to get Oscar De La Hoya off the mic."
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH4
One remarked: "What in God’s name happened to the classy Oscar De La Hoya? Sounds drunk af."
When asked about his July 3 comeback, De La Hoya said: "You can expect a f***ing real fight. A real fight.
"Whoever I pick to be my opponent. You bet your ass that I'm gonna be the best motherf****r out there.4Oscar De La Hoya is gearing up to return to the ring on July 3Credit: Getty Most read in BoxingLive BlogJAKE PAUL VS BEN ASKRENAll the build-up as YouTuber takes on MMA star in tonight's clashLive BlogBILBAO 0 BARCELONA 4Messi, Griezmann & De Jong goals see Barca ease to Copa del Rey winFeaturefight clubMillionaire Fournier, who dated Paris Hilton, fights on Paul v Askren undercardEVERYTHING'S ROSEYWhy is Julia Rose in Joe Fournier's corner on Paul vs Askren undercard?LOG OUTLogan Paul says anyone who backs Askren to beat brother Jake are 'f***ing morons'PicturedBEACH BABESPaige VanZant, Mandy Rose & Mia Yim show off bikini bods in the sunshine
"I always fought the very best, and I'm proud of that. And whoever it is, I've been retired for 14 years.
"But guess what I'm pick the very best."
He added: "I don't care who it is.
"I will fight until the end, I will bleed until the end. And I will go down to the end."Oscar De La Hoya in 'serious talks' to box MMA star Eddie Alvarez in sensational ring return