May 04, 2021
UEFA details Euro 2020 rules for teams hit by virus issues
This news has been received from: FOX News
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
UEFA published extra rules for the June 11-July 11 tournament, including raising squad sizes from 23 players to 26 to help teams cope amid the coronavirus pandemic.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Euro 2020 is scheduled to play 51 games in 31 days with few days available as back-ups. Matches will be played on schedule if each team has at least 13 players, including one goalkeeper, available for selection.
UEFA said teams with fewer than 13 players could have their game "rescheduled within the next 48 hours of the date of the relevant match" and possibly at a different venue.
"Any additional player called up to meet the minimum of 13 players requires that an equivalent number of quarantined players are definitively withdrawn from the 26 players list," the European soccer body said.
The team responsible for a game not being played will forfeit it as a 3-0 loss and the national federation will face disciplinary action by UEFA.
The emergency rules are similar to those enforced by UEFA this season in its club competitions and Nations League, and upheld in several appeal cases at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Ukraine and Norway forfeited Nations League games as 3-0 losses last year. Ukraine’s squad was put in quarantine by public health officials in Switzerland. Norway’s squad was stopped from traveling to Romania by a decision of its own health officials.
Euro 2020 is being played with 24 teams in 11 cities across Europe with at least 25% of stadium capacity set to be available for all games.
Dublin was dropped by UEFA last month after public authorities did not give assurances on how many fans could attend games, and Bilbao was replaced by Seville.
News Source: FOX News
Tags: security innovation computers video games military tech security innovation computers video games military tech health officials have their game nations league available the european being played teams hit
Patrick Marleau answers question as to whether hes going to retire
SAN JOSE – Patrick Marleau is not planning his retirement party just yet.
Marleau said Thursday that he plans to keep playing next season, which would be his 24th in the NHL, as he wants to rebound from what he felt was a disappointing year from a personal and team standpoint.
Marleau had just nine points in 56 games in 2021 as he was used in a variety of roles by Sharks coach Bob Boughner. He has 1,197 points, including 566 goals, in 1,779 career NHL games.
The Sharks played their final regular-season game Wednesday, losing 6-0 to the Vegas Golden Knights at SAP Center. The Sharks finished the season with a 21-28-7 record and in seventh place in the West Division.
“I feel like I still have a lot to give out there, a lot more than what happened this year for myself personally and points-wise,” Marleau said. “I’m eager to have a really good season and get back to playing the way I’m used to.”
Marleau played his 1,768th career NHL game on April 19, passing Gordie Howe to become the league’s all-time leader in games played.
General manager Doug Wilson said Wednesday he was glad that Marleau had the opportunity to become the NHL’s leader in games played with the Sharks, but did not offer any guarantees that re-sign him for next season. Marleau was signed in October by Wilson and the Sharks to a one-year deal worth the NHL minimum salary of $700,000.
Marleau, 41, reiterated that his priority is to win the Stanley Cup, which has eluded him since he entered the league in 1997. He said he would open to playing elsewhere to get another opportunity at winning the Cup.
Please check back for updates to this story.