Jun 10, 2021
Bruce Arians Reveals Starting Running Back Plans After Minicamp
This news has been received from: Heavy.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Getty Leonard Fournette and Ronald Jones II are on a collision course toward an intense position battle for starting running back in July.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians acknowledged the two front runners for starting running back after minicamp, but he said the final decision will have to wait until training camp.
Ronald Jones II and Leonard Fournette carried the load primarily for the Bucs at different points in 2020, and it looks similar this coming season. The Bucs wrapped up minicamp on Thursday with training camp on tap for late July.
Jones started off shouldering the load with 978 yards and seven touchdowns in 2020, but injuries hindered him down the stretch and in the postseason. That’s when Fournette took off after mustering 367 yards and six touchdowns in the regular season. He amassed 300 yards rushing and three touchdowns in the playoffs plus 18 receptions for 148 yards and a touchdown, which earned him the nicknames “Playoff Lenny” and “Super Bowl Lenny.”
“Both those guys are starters in my mind,” Arians said according to Buccaneers.com’s Scott Smith. “Whoever goes out first doesn’t really matter to me. But that will be determined in camp.”
Tampa also has second-year back Ke’Shawn Vaughn and free agent signee Giovani Bernard competing carries. Vaughn averaged 4.2 yards per carry and 6.8 yards per reception in 2020. Bernard gained 3.4 yards per carry and 7.6 yards per catch with the Cincinnati Bengals last year.
“Ke’Shawn’s made a nice move but he has to be a better special teams players right now because of what’s in front of him,” Arians said per Smith. “But I have all the confidence in the world in him as a runner and a receiver. And Gio has added a nice presence back there.”
Arians wasn’t happy with Vaughn the week before during voluntary organized team activities when the young back chose quarterback Tom Brady’s informal workout instead. The coach said he hoped Vaughn would “make a better decision” per The Athletic’s Greg Auman.
The latest Bucs news straight to your inbox! Join the Heavy on Bucs newsletter here!
Join Heavy on Bucs!Jones vs. Fournette
Arians believes the Jones-Fournette competition will be one of the best position battles at training camp next month.
“They’re so talented and they both bring so much to the table,” Arians said in an interview on the Pewter Report podcast in May. “Hopefully if they’re both healthy, they are splitting time. I know fantasy doesn’t like that, but those two guys…I mean, RoJo is one of the best runners I’ve been around. Lenny had that great run in the playoffs. He showed what they drafted him for in the top 5.”
The Jacksonville Jaguars took Fournette at No. 4 in the 2017 draft from LSU, and he burst on the scene, helping the Jaguars reach the AFC title game. Fournette’s success in Jacksonville didn’t last as the team released him right before the 2020 season. The Bucs picked him in time for Week 1.
Jones joined the Bucs as a second-round pick in 2018 from USC. He only carried the ball 23 times as a rookie, but took off in 2019 as the primary back with 724 yards and six touchdowns in a pass-heavy offense.Bernard Brings Third-Down Relief
Tampa adding Bernard not only made the running back room deeper, but it brings in reliable third-down back as Arians told Pewter Report last month.
“He’s an excellent receiver, but he’s a hell of a protector and he’s extremely smart,” Arians said on the podcast. “You don’t see any blitzers coming through that weren’t supposed to be getting to the quarterback with [Bernard]. He’s a bright guy and he can really still play.”
News Source: Heavy.com
Police release new info on suspect wanted in brazen Bronx shooting; kids seen running for cover
MOUNT EDEN, Bronx (WABC) -- Police have released new information about the suspect wanted for opening fire just mere inches away from children as they ducked for safety in the Bronx.
The incident was reported around 6:45 p.m. on Thursday in front of 1551 Sheridan Ave.
The children, a 10-year-old girl and her 5-year-old brother, somehow avoided being shot as the gunman fired multiple shots on his intended target, a 24-year-old man.
The first suspect is described as a man with sunglasses who wore all black clothing. The second individual is a light-skinned male who wore a white baseball cap, a red long-sleeved shirt, and dark-colored shorts.
One of the suspects fired about a dozen shots in total.
The victim was shot three times -- once in each leg and in the lower back -- and taken to the hospital, where he is expected to survive.
The children were not physically injured.
WARNING: The following video is shocking -- everyone involved survived
EMBED More News Videos
A 24-year-old man was shot by a gunman who opened fire inches from children diving for safety in the Bronx
After the shooting, the suspect got on a scooter with a second person and they both got away northbound on Sheridan Avenue.
NYPD Chief of Department Rodney Harrison said the shooting "seems like it's a gang incident, which has been plaguing NYC this year."
"I'm disgusted, I'm going to be honest with you, it's very alarming," Harrison said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).
ALSO READ | NY passes 'SLEEP Act' to curb loud souped-up vehicles
EMBED More News Videos
The New York Legislature has passed a law designed to curb loud, souped up vehicles that have been aggravating residents throughout the state.
* More Bronx news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a News Tip