Jun 10, 2021
Marco Rubio Will Defer Your Student Loans, but Only If You Survive a Terrorist Attack
This news has been received from: motherjones.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Michael Brochstein/ZumaLet our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.
Today, Sen.Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) reintroduced legislation, called the Terrorism Survivors Student Loan Deferment Act, which would do just that. He said in a press release, “Giving survivors some time to regroup by delaying their student loan payments is just commonsense.” It’s also the bare minimum.
As my colleague Hannah Levintova wrote yesterday, canceling student debt is one broad policy that won’t disproportionately benefit wealthy households. Just the opposite: The authors of a new study “found that at each proposed level of cancellation—$10,000, $50,000, or the $75,000 proposed last year by the Roosevelt Institute—those with the least net worth would see the biggest benefit.”
In case you were wondering, per the proposed legislation, “a victim of a terrorist attack is an individual who is designated as a victim of a terrorist attack by the head of the Federal agency that is handling the investigation of the attack.”
The FBI defines terrorism as “violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.” In other words, if you survived a bombing or a mass shooting perpetrated by someone with no particular motive, well, tough luck.
News Source: motherjones.com
Tags: donate donate subscribe coronavirus investigations photos coronavirus donate investigations photos donate donate donate donate marco rubio republicans student debt subscribe donate subscribe subscribe magazine subscriptions give a gift subscription donate student loan marco rubio
Body of fourth victim in NC tubing incident found
Mark Price | The Charlotte Observer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The body of a fourth tuber has been found in a North Carolina river, local officials said Sunday.
The Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that authorities received a 911 call about 10 a.m. reporting a body in the Dan River near a boat landing in the town of Eden.
The sheriff’s office said crews have begun efforts to recover the body. The victim’s identity is yet to be confirmed. Two tubers had been missing. One was a 7-year-old boy. The other was a 35-year-old woman.
- Officials: Deadly Pride parade crash appears unintentional
- Hayward: One killed in Interstate 880 crash involving multiple vehicles
- San Jose man drowns in Lake Berryessa
- ‘Brilliant’: Oakland native remembers brother killed in strange North Bay gas station accident
- Man, dog rescued from burning car in Oakland hills
©2021 The Charlotte Observer. Visit at charlotteobserver.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.