Jun 11, 2021
US will restore $1 billion for California’s troubled bullet train
This news has been received from: mercurynews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
SACRAMENTO — The federal government has reached an agreement to restore nearly $1 billion in funding for California’s troubled bullet train, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced.
The U.S. Department of Transportation finalized settlement negotiations to restore the money for the high-speed rail project that was revoked by the Trump administration in 2019, Newsom said Thursday night.
The restoration of $929 million in grant funding “will continue to spur job creation, advance the project and move the state one step closer to getting trains running in California as soon as possible,” Newsom said in a statement.
California voters in 2008 approved nearly $10 billion in bond money to build a high-speed rail line connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco that was supposed to be running by 2020.
But the project was plagued by cost overruns and delays. Officials now hope to have trains running on a segment through the state’s central valley agricultural region by 2029.
- Caltrain electrification delayed to 2024, and the price tag is rising too
- Walters: Inflated job numbers prop up bullet train
- High-speed rail misses out on California’s massive budget surplus
The project’s business plan anticipates environmental approval for the 500 miles (805 kilometers) between Los Angeles and San Francisco by 2023. Completion of the full line depends on funding and other unknowns.
Newsom last month unveiled a budget proposal that includes $4.2 billion for the project, including the bond money approved by voters in 2008.
News Source: mercurynews.com
Tags: mr roadshow cartoons pac 12 hotline celebrities mr roadshow cartoons pac 12 hotline celebrities biden administration high speed rail infrastructure morning wire california’s troubled los angeles and san francisco for california’s high speed rail trains running billion newsom said the project
Tucker Carlson on running for president: I guess if like I was the last person on Earth
Fox News’s Tucker CarlsonTucker CarlsonKinzinger: Conspiracy theory FBI planned Jan. 6 example of 'legacy of Trump and Trumpism' Fox launches Apple podcast subscription service FOX News Podcasts+ Overnight Defense: Top admiral shoots back at criticism of 'woke' military | Military guns go missing | New White House strategy to battle domestic extremism MORE said he has no interest in running for the White House during an interview Friday with the conservative podcast Ruthless.
“Oh God, come on! Yeah. I'll be running,” Carlson said facetiously when asked if he was running for president.”
Carlson said the job has no appeal to him and would also not be very popular with his family.
“That seems like a fun job. Ha-ha-ha-ha, I'm sure my poor children would love that. Can you imagine?” he said. “I've known and talked to every president, you know, for a while, for like more than 30 years. And you know, I can't think of anyone whose life was improved by that.”
“I mean, I guess if like I was the last person on earth, I could do it, but I mean, it seems pretty unlikely that I would be that guy,” he added.
The answer was Carlson's latest declaration he has no interest in running for president.
Talk of a possible Carlson White House bid has taken place given the popularity of his show, which is often the most highly rated program on cable television.
Last July, political strategists, commentators and several leading Republicans told Politico the 2024 candidacy was Carlson’s if he wanted it.
“Let me put it this way: If Biden wins and Tucker decided to run, he’d be the nominee,” Sam Nunberg, a former top political aide, told Politico.
Republican political Vernon Robinson even predicted that Carlson “will be the Republican nominee” in an interview with The Independent last September.
But Carlson has dismissed the idea, at least as far back as 2019 during a keynote address at a conservative gathering, according to the National Review.
“If I were running for president — which obviously I would never do, I would be insane to run for president, I would never do that…” Carlson said while offering Republican politicians on how to appeal to voters during his keynote address at the National Conservatism Conference.
And Carlson has made similarly dismissive statements about a possible presidential candidacy to other outlets, “No I’m not running for anything — come on,” he told Mediaite in a podcast interview last August.