Jun 11, 2021
Body found in bag 3,000ft below sea off Tenerife IS missing six-year-old ‘kidnapped by her dad’
This news has been received from: the-sun.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
SPANISH police have confirmed a body found 3,000ft under the ocean off Tenerife yesterday is Olivia Gimeno's, the six-year-old girl kidnapped by her father in late April.
Coroners identified Olivia's body on Friday after carrying out tests on an anonymous body found in a bag floating in the ocean.11Olivia,6, has been missing for more than two weeksCredit: Instagram 11Along with her sister, one-year-old AnnaCredit: Instagram
Olivia sister, Anna, one, is still missing and presumed dead.
Beatriz Zimmerman, the anguished mother of the two girls, has been informed of the grisly discovery.
Her ex Tomas Antonio Gimeno, 37, disappeared with the girls on April 27 after failing to return them to their home in the Tenerife capital Santa Cruz in a drama which has been followed around the world.
A spokesman for the investigating magistrate said: “Pending more conclusive forensic tests, the body could almost certainly correspond to that of Olivia G, the youngster who vanished on April 27 with her one-year-old sister and their father.TRAGIC DISCOVERY
“The body was found by a robot from the search vessel Angeles Alvarino at midday today around 1,000 metres below the water some three miles off the Tenerife coast.
“It was inside a sports bag attached to an anchor. Next to it was another empty sports bag.
“The body was taken to dry land for an autopsy. The vessel called Angeles Alvarino is continuing its search.”
Last night, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez reacted to the tragic news, tweeting: "I cannot begin to imagine the pain of the mother of little Anna and Olivia, who disappeared in Tenerife, following the terrible news we have just heard.
“I send a hug and my love and that of my whole family, who today show solidarity with Beatriz and her loved ones.”11The child's body was found by a robot from police search vessel Angeles Alvarino, seen here today in Santa Cruz TenerifeCredit: Solarpix 11A Guardia Civil spokesman revealed earlier that a child's body had been foundCredit: Solarpix 11Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has led the messages of condolence to the familyCredit: Solarpix
Jose Manuel Bermudez, the mayor of Tenerife capital Santa Cruz, announced a minute’s silence for Anna and Olivia would be held at midday tomorrow.
He said: “There are no words to express the terrible desolation I feel.
“From respect at the mother’s pain and with all the caution the terrible news that is reaching us deserves, I want to express to the family all the solidarity of the citizens of Santa Cruz.”
The Canary Islands’ president Angel Victor Torres tweeted: “Weeks hoping to receive hopeful news and today we receive the worst possible, one that freezes our soul, about the little girls from Tenerife, Anna and Olivia.
“Our condolences, encouragement and strength for their mum Beatriz, her family and friends. Canary Islands devastated.”
Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner Georgina Rodriguez was among those who shared a video of Olivia and Anna released by their mum as part of a huge social media campaign urging the public for help in finding them.
Beatriz said after the diving bottle was found on Monday she thought it was part of an attempt by her estranged partner to disguise his flight with the girls.
South America was highlighted as a place Gimeno could have taken them soon after he vanished with the youngsters.11Tomas Gimeno is accused of kidnapping his daughtersCredit: Newsflash 11The girl's mum has shared a letter for her "two angels"Credit: Gaurdiacivi 11The trio disappeared after Gimeno picked them up from school two weeks agoCredit: Instagram 11Gimeno transferred a large sum of money to his bank account before disappearing
Georgina Rodriguez said in an emotional post to her 24 million Instagram followers shortly after the mystery disappearance: “I want to use my reach on this great social network to make sure this reaches as many people as possible.
“These are two sisters who are being searched for in Spain and abroad. They are called Olivia and Anna and are aged six and one.
“Their mum is seeking maximum publicity for this video to try to find them as soon as possible and bring them home.
“I hope with all my heart that the girls are found safe and well and can hug their mum again soon.”
Local authorities said from the start all theories were being explored, including the possibility the girls were dead, although their loved ones said they were clinging to the hope they were still alive and a reunion with their mum could still take place.
Gimeno took the girls without consent and left Tenerife on a boat which was later found empty off Puertito de Guimar, which is on the east corner of the island just over 10 miles south of Santa Cruz.
Police had been using a boat lent to them by the Spanish Institute of Oceanography to search for clues in the spot where Gimeno’s mobile signal was last detected.
Gimeno had never accepted Beatriz's relationship with a new Belgian partner following their split.Most read in NewsJOE’S POWER TRIPBiden poses with G7 leaders for group photo ahead of Queen meetingMYSTERY DEATHPorn star found dead after being trolled for posing topless at Floyd muralRARE RISK'Emergency' as 283 teens & young men suffer heart inflammation after Covid jabCANDID KAMFlustered Kamala SNAPS at reporter when asked when she will visit MexicoGraphic WarningLASHED OUTBirthday girl gets entire EYELID torn off by chihuahua while getting lashes doneMEGAHACKHackers steal 26m logins for Facebook, Apple & more with virus that takes your pic
A spokesman for the Civil Guard said: “This afternoon the boat belonging to the Spanish Oceanographic Institute, Angeles Alabrino, which was in Tenerife combing the sea bed following the disappearance on April 27 of Tomas Gimeno with his daughters Anna and Olivia, found human remains.
“Those remains correspond with the body of a minor and were discovered in the search area that had been determined by investigators.
“The remains have been taken to the Forensic Medicine Institute in Santa Cruz where they will be analysed for the purposes of identification.”11Zimmerman had previously shared a video of her two daughtersCredit: Solarpix 11He left Zimmerman a goodbye note before fleeing on a boat
News Source: the-sun.com
Tags: child’s body a spokesman georgina rodriguez shared a video the terrible news kidnapped with the girls body found santa cruz in santa cruz following to the family six year old as part one year old the tenerife the body as possible the spanish in tenerife
Russia fires warning shots to force British warship away from waters near Crimea
MOSCOW -- A Russian warship fired warning shots and a Russian warplane dropped bombs Wednesday to force a British destroyer away from an area in the Black Sea near Crimea that Russia claims as its territorial waters.
The incident marked the first time since the Cold War that Moscow has used live ammunition to deter a NATO warship, reflecting growing risks of military incidents amid soaring Russia-West tensions.
The Russian Defense Ministry said the Russian warship fired warning shots after the British missile destroyer Defender had ignored a notice against intrusion in Russia's territorial waters. It said that a Russian Su-24 bomber also dropped four bombs ahead of the British ship to persuade it to change course. Minutes later, the British warship left the Russian waters, the ministry said.
The Russian Defense Ministry said it has summoned the U.K. military attache in Moscow to protest the British destroyer's maneuver.
The U.K. Ministry of Defense said it was aware of the reports but had no immediate comment.
HMS Defender, a Type 45 destroyer, is part of the U.K. Carrier Strike Group currently heading to the Indo-Pacific region. However, it was announced earlier this month that it would be temporarily breaking away from the group to carry out its "own set of missions" in the Black Sea.
Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in 2014, a move that was not recognized by most countries in the world, gaining access to the peninsula's long Black Sea coastline. Russia has frequently chafed at NATO warships visits near Crimea, casting them as destabilizing.
NATO members Turkey, Romania and Bulgaria all are on the Black Sea, but warships from the U.S., U.K. and other NATO allies also have made increasingly frequent visits there in a show of support for Ukraine.
Speaking Wednesday just before the incident, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, the chief of the General Staff of the Russian armed forces, sharply criticized the deployments of NATO warships near Russian waters.
"The moves by warships of the U.S. and its allies have been clearly provocative," Gerasimov said at an international security conference in Moscow organized by the Russian Defense Ministry. "It creates preconditions for incidents and doesn't help ease tensions in the military sphere."
He charged that the British destroyer Dragon intruded into the Russian waters near Crimea in October, and the U.S. destroyer John McCain violated the Russian border in the Sea of Japan in November.
In April, Russia imposed restrictions on foreign navy ships' movements near Crimea until November in a move that drew strong complaints from Ukraine and the West. Russia has rejected that criticism and noted that the restrictions wouldn't interfere with commercial shipping.
Earlier this year, Russia also beefed up its troops near the border with Ukraine and warned Ukrainian authorities against using force to reclaim control of the country's east, where a conflict with Russia-backed separatists has killed more than 14,000 people in seven years. Moscow withdrew some of its forces after sweeping maneuvers, but Ukrainian officials say that the bulk of them have remained.
Associated Press writer Jill Lawless in London contributed to this report.