This news has been received from:

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

The fiancé of murdered US Army Specialist Vanessa Guillen is speaking publicly for the first time, revealing he learned about her horrific death after seeing posts on Twitter.    

Guillen, 20, disappeared from a Texas Army base last April after telling her family she was being sexually harassed - and her dismembered and buried remains were found on June 30 near the Leon River.


Prosecutors said she'd been killed by another soldier, Specialist Aaron Robinson, 20, who'd been accused of sexual harassment. Robinson was detained, but escaped - when he then killed himself. 

A damning Army investigation in the wake of Guillen's murder led to the firing or suspension last year of 14 officers and soldiers at the Fort Hood base in Texas after it uncovered chronic leadership failures that contributed to a widespread pattern of violence including murder, sexual assaults and harassment.   

Meanwhile, Guillen's boyfriend, Juan Cruz, 22, has now revealed in an interview set to air Friday night that he didn't learn about the horrific killing of his girlfriend, Guillen, until he was scrolling on social media and saw posts about it.

'I clicked on the conversation that was happening and I started to listen to the story of what happened,' Cruz said. 'So I was at work ... I started getting anxiety attacks. I got in my car and I started to cry.'

On the 20/20 special on ABC News, Cruz spoke about the first time he met Guillen.

'At a quinceanera, she looked at me once and I said, "Man, she's pretty'" Cruz said in Spanish in a clip obtained by, referring to a birthday party for a 15 year old. 'And we danced all night and that's how I met her.'

'I knew she was the one,' Cruz added in English. He said the two became engaged in March 2020.

'She was beside me ... we were all happy,' Cruz continues.

Scroll down for video 

In a special on ABC News set to air Friday, Juan Cruz spoke about the time he met Guillen: Both of them are pictured

Cruz and Guillen became engaged in March 2020, a month before her disappearance

Cruz last saw Guillen on April 19, 2020, three days before Guillen went missing.

'She told me, "I love you. Goodnight." Then, the next day, she woke up, like, at 5 in the morning to leave to Fort Hood... I was still asleep but I remember she gave me a kiss and she left,' Cruz says.

The ABC story set to air doesn't detail what Cruz now does for work or where he's living; it's not clear. 

Meanwhile, Guillen last year had planned to hike with a friend on the day she went missing. Investigators say she reported to work in the morning, went to the arms room and last communicated around 10:23am before friends and family became worried later in the day. 

He learned about the details of Guillen's murder when he saw them pop up on Twitter

Tay Hightower, her hiking companion, learned around 10pm that the last person she was with was Aaron Robinson and spoke with him, with Robinson claiming he hadn't spoken to Guillen earlier.

The military police and the U.S. Army Criminal Investigative Division ultimately became involved as rumors swirled about what happened to Guillen. 

The Army designated Guillen as being AWOL two days after her disappearance.

Robinson told investigators that Guillen left the arms room after finishing a task and he later went to be with his girlfriend, who backed up his claim.

Guillen, 20, (left) disappeared from the Texas, base in April 2020 and her dismembered and buried remains were found on June 30 near the Leon River. Officials said fellow soldier Aaron Robinson, 20, (right) was the main suspect in her killing

Meanwhile, the Army made several missteps in their investigation, from searching the wrong spot to 'mistakenly' marking her present on the day she went missing.

Gloria Guillen, Vanessa's mother, began speaking publicly about sexual harassment her daughter had been facing, blowing the story wide open. 

  • Previous
  • 1
  • Next
  • Family of murdered soldier Vanessa Guillen demand bullying... Murdered soldier Vanessa Guillen WAS sexually harassed by...
Share this article Share

Investigators later discovered that Robinson’s phone pinged in Belton, Texas, by a bridge near the Leon River, about a half-hour from the base in the early morning hours shortly after Vanessa vanished.

When they went to the location, they found a burn pile, including a tough box, an item Guillen had been seen with earlier by eyewitnesses.

Investigators noted that Robinson and his girlfriend, Cecily Aguilar, shared multiple phone calls the night of Guillen's disappearance, which Aguilar said was because she couldn't find her phone. 

Guillen, one of six children, went to her first training for the Army in June 2018

Investigators believe Robinson bludgeoned Guillen, 20, to death with a hammer, removed her body from an armory at Fort Hood, and then dismembered her and buried her remains on April 22, 2020.

Guillen’s remains were found near the Leon River in Bell County, Texas on June 30.

'The way that he knew that it was Vanessa was because he described her hair to me,' Mayra Guillen said of the discovery of Vanessa's remains. 'And I just dropped my phone and it was just like everything came to an end.' 

According to an Army report released in April, Robinson was detained shortly after Guillen’s remains were found, but he was allowed to escape. A few hours later, he fatally shot himself as police were about to take him into custody.

Robinson’s former girlfriend, Cecily Aguilar, has been charged with helping Robinson hide Guillen’s body and impeding the investigation. She told investigators Robinson admitted to the killing when she was prompted the day Guillen's remains were found.

Aguilar has pleaded not guilty and her lawyers have filed a motion to have the case tossed. 

The Army report from April details the final hours of Robinson’s life. 

At around 5pm on June 30, just hours after workers found Guillen’s remains in a shallow grave, a member of the Army Criminal Investigation Command called Robinson’s unit and told them to put the specialist under strict observation.

Robinson was told he was being detained for violating COVID-19 quarantine rules. He was then placed inside a conference room where an unarmed soldier was guarding the door.

Vanessa's aunt Alma Garcia (C), Juan Cruz, the fiancé of US Army Specialist Vanessa Guillen and family members embrace during the public memorial service in honor of the soldier at Chavez High School on August 14, 2020, in Houston, Texas

Juan Cruz, boyfriend of Army soldier Vanessa Guillen, kneels in front of a mural honoring her

Pictured: Guillen from a Facebook photo. Her remains were found in June 2020

While Robinson was upset he was being detained, he nonetheless appeared relaxed. He spent his time in detention playing video games, according to the report. Robinson was also allowed to keep his cell phone, which was being monitored by his superiors.

A few hours later, commanders got wind of new information suggesting that Robinson would try to escape, according to the report.

In a text chain, one officer said that if he tried to escape, the guards had to ‘tackle his a** and call the MPs [military police]'.

But the soldier guarding Robinson did not get the message, according to the Army report.

Just after 10pm, Robinson received a telephone call that appeared to be from his mother.

‘Don’t believe what you hear about me,’ a guard heard Robinson say.

Several minutes later, Robinson escaped. A few hours later, he was spotted by Army and civilian police in the city of Killeen, just outside of Fort Hood.

As officers were closing in to make an arrest, Robinson pulled out a gun and shot himself dead.

Major General Gene LeBoeuf said that Robinson’s escape is still the subject of an ongoing investigation.

The report blamed a communication breakdown between the soldier’s unit and the criminal investigation agents which allowed him to flee.

The family of Guillen also demanded military officials release the name of a supervisor who sexually harassed her before she was killed by another soldier last year. 

The Army report from April said that the sexual harassment by the superior was unrelated to Guillen’s murder and that the suspected killer, Robinson, 20, had also been accused of harassing another female service member. 

Friday's report did not name the man accused of harassing Guillen, who is said to have asked her for a threesome, over 'privacy concerns' because of his low rank.

He was one of 21 people hit with disciplinary action over his behavior, but Army officials did not comment further on details of that punishment.  

U.S. President Donald Trump listens to Gloria Guillen, the mother of slain Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen who was was found dead after disappearing from the army base in Texas, during a meeting in the Oval Office at the White House on July 30, 2020

Guillen's family is relieved to have some justice, but they still don't understand why the Army has refused to release the supervisor's name. 

Guillen's sister Mayra Guillén told ABC News: 'The Army keeps trying to protect this name and I want to understand why. Why not just try to take a step forward, admit that you were wrong, fix it and make yourself look better so, the nation could trust you again.' 

Mayra also said that her family hopes to push the US government to address sexual harassment in the military. 

'We're still looking to work very hard on this so we can put an end to it and not have what happened to Vanessa happen to anyone else ever again,' she said.

The Guillén family has also joined Congress members and other activists to fight for the passage of the I Am Vanessa Guillen Act. 

The act is named after the hashtag that was used by military sexual assault survivors to denounce their experiences on social media when Guillen went missing in April 2020. 

Reps Jackie Speier, a Democrat from California, and Markwayne Mullin, a Republican from Oklahoma, said the bill would make sexual harassment a crime within the Uniform Code of Military Justice. 

Guillen’s killing shocked the military and forced the high command to re-examine the extent to which a culture of sexual harassment had taken root throughout the armed forces

Guillen, one of six children, went to her first training for the Army in June 2018.

Ryan Landy, a soldier in Guillen's unit, told 20/20 that Guillen had a memorable laugh.

'I guess, apparently I'm kind of funny sometimes, and she'd crack up all the time. Like, her laugh was very, very contagious,' Landy said.

'It just seems like a nightmare when I drive through Houston,' Cruz added. 'I see her murals and I say to myself, "Damn, this is reality. She’s no longer here." On the other hand, murals aren’t made for just anyone. That brought me a bit of peace to my heart.'

Guillen’s killing shocked the military and forced the high command to re-examine the extent to which a culture of sexual harassment had taken root throughout the armed forces.

The latest findings were announced as part of an investigation into Guillen’s killing and the actions of officers immediately afterward.

Last year, a separate, civilian-run probe was launched examining the overall culture at Fort Hood.

As a result of the investigation, the Army fired or suspended 14 officers and enlisted soldiers at Fort Hood and ordered policy changes to address chronic failures of leadership that contributed to a widespread pattern of violence.

An independent review found that the Army’s Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Prevention Program (SHARP) failed to curb sexual assault and harassment on bases due to structural failures.

Panelists said there was a lack of training, resourcing and staffing at the SHARP office on Fort Hood.

It also found that the command climate failed to practice the program’s core values below the brigade level, which led to less trust in the program. 

The actions come after a year that saw at least 31 soldiers assigned to Fort Hood die due to suicide, homicide or accidents, including the bludgeoning death of Guillen.

14 fired or suspended at Fort Hood: Army acts after investigation sparked by Vanessa Guillen's death finds 'chronic failures that fostered widespread pattern of violence including murder, sexual assaults and harassment' at base 

The Army fired or suspended 14 officers and soldiers at the Fort Hood base in Texas after a damning investigation uncovered chronic leadership failures that contributed to a widespread pattern of violence including murder, sexual assaults and harassment.  

In July, a panel of five civilians was formed to investigate the base's command culture and handling of sexual harassment cases and disappearances and those results were shared publicly in December.

'The investigation after Vanessa Guillen's murder found Fort Hood has a command climate that was permissive of sexual harassment and sexual assault,' then Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said in a press conference in December.

He said the issues plaguing Fort Hood are 'directly related to leadership failures.' 

Army Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt, who was left in charge of the base when Guillen was killed, was fired from his post. 

Army leaders had already delayed Efflandt's planned transfer to Fort Bliss, where he was supposed to take over leadership of the 1st Armored Division, due to the investigations into the base. 

The base commander, Army Lt. Gen. Pat White, will not face any administrative action because he was deployed to Iraq as the commander there for much of the year.  

The leadership of Guillen’s unit, Col. Ralph Overland and Command Sgt. Maj. Bradley Knapp of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment were also fired.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Broadwater and Command Sgt. Maj. Thomas C. Kenny, 1st Cavalry Division commanding general and command sergeant major, were both suspended. 

Army Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt, who was left in charge of the base when Guillen was killed, was fired following the review

Suspended: Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Broadwater (left) and Command Sgt. Maj. Thomas C. Kenny (right), both of the 1st Cavalry Division, were suspended following the review

Fired: Col. Ralph Overland (left), the 3rd Cavalry Regiment commander and Command Sgt. Maj. Bradley Knapp (right), both of whom were in charge of Guillen's unit, were fired

Their suspension is pending the outcome of a new Army Regulation (AR) 15-6 investigation of 1st Cavalry Division’s command climate and Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention program. 

The names of the battalion level and below commanders and leaders who received administrative action were not released. 

McCarthy said the panel published nine main findings and 70 recommendations that the Army is accepting to correct the command culture at the base.  

The panel said they made an effort to talk to women in every division at the base, especially those in Guillen's unit. 

The panel conducted 647 individual interviews on the base. 

'Of the 503 women we interviewed [in the investigation], we discovered 93 credible accounts of sexual assault. Of those only 59 were reported,' said Queta Rodriguez, a member of the independent review panel.

'And we also found 217 unreported accounts of sexual harassment. Of those only half were reported. What we discovered was over the course of those interviews, the lack of confidence in the system effected the reports of those incidents,' she added.

The independent review found that the Army’s Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Prevention Program (SHARP) failed to curb sexual assault and harassment on bases due to structural failures.

Panelists said there was a lack of training, resourcing and staffing at the SHARP office on Fort Hood.

It also found that the command climate failed to practice the program’s core values below the brigade level, which led to less trust in the program.  

McCarthy ordered for the review in mid-July to find the 'root causes' of sexual harassment and violence on the base and whether the command culture and climate reflects the Army's values. 

Fort Hood Review by Jim Hice

Scribd Privacy Policy

Of the 31 deaths at the base in 2020, while some where deemed accidents, five were homicides and 10 were suicides.

'Soldiers assaulting and harassing other Soldiers is contrary to Army values and requires a dramatic change in culture,' Chris Swecker, the independent review panel chair, said. 

'There was a founded fear that the confidentiality of the [sexual assault] reporting process would be compromised. It took so long to get an adjudication that people never saw an adjudication,' he added.

He said the panel's recommendations were designed to 'address deeply dysfunctional norms and regain soldiers' trust,' he added.  

The panel offered new policies for the Army to implement including a restructure of the SHARP Program at Fort Hood, which they said was ineffective at the base.

The panel advised for the creation of full time Victim Advocates comprised of a hybrid of civilian and uniformed personnel and the creation of a SHARP Program Office track to monitor the life-cycle and aging of each sexual assault and harassment case and prepare a quarterly report with that information. 

They also suggested new measures to better track soldier disappearances. 

The panel advised for the creation of an Army-wide set of protocols for 'failure to report' scenarios in the critical first 24 hours of a soldier’s absence.

Under the new policy commanders will be required to list service members as absent-unknown for up to 48 hours and must do everything to locate them to determine whether their absence in voluntary before declaring them AWOL, or absent without leave.

It also includes new guidance on steps to classify soldiers as deserters.

McCarthy said the People First Task Force has been created to study the committee’s recommendations and map out a plan to enact them.  

Fort Hood Commanding General Lt. Gen. Pat White said: 'There's some candid feedback on the culture here. What was made abundantly clear is we have to fix our culture, particularly with sexual assault and harassment.'

He said changes are already underway at the base and he has set aside more than four million hours for junior leaders to work on team building and get to know their soldiers. 

He said that the base was given notice of the firings and had time to prepare a 'compassion team' that includes a lawyer, a public affairs representative, a chaplain, behavioral health representative and a cyber awareness expert.

The five members of the independent review committee are Chris Swecker, Jonathan Harmon, Carrie Ricci, Queta Rodriguez and Jack White, who together have a combined 75 years of experience as active-duty military and law-enforcement personnel.   

Chris Swecker is the former assistant director of FBI’s Criminal Investigative Division and Jonathan Harmon is a civilian trial attorney who represented Fortune 500 companies and a combat veteran who served in the Gulf War.

Carrie Ricci is 21-year Army veteran and assistant general counsel for the Department of Agriculture, Queta Rodriguez is 20-year Marines veteran and regional director for the non-profit FourBlock, and Jack White a partner at the law firm Fluet Huber Hoang in McLean, Virginia who is a West Point graduate and served five years on active duty.

Read more:
  • Vanessa Guillen’s fiance, closest friends detail upsetting investigation - ABC News

News Source:

Tags: topics index the army’s sexual harassment army’s sexual harassment guillen’s remains were remains were found fort hood soldier vanessa guillen murdered soldier vanessa guillen guillen’s murder murdered soldier vanessa guillen recommendations vanessa guillen’s guillen’s remains the army’s sexual that the army’s remains were that robinson’s the program’s army’s sexual in guillen’s guillen’s to guillen’s cruz added sexual harassment according to the report command the army’s he added remains murder he learned accused of harassing told investigators her disappearance speaking publicly the creation sexually harassed the investigation mccarthy said disappeared what happened investigation he learned a

8 shot, 4 killed in Englewood shooting, Chicago police say

Next News:

Mum, 28, ‘murdered her six-week-old boy by shaking him so hard he suffered catastrophic brain injuries’

A MUM allegedly murdered her six-week-old son by shaking him so hard he suffered catastrophic brain injuries.

Chelsea Cuthbertson, 28, called for an ambulance and said son Malakai Watts was not breathing - but doctors discovered his cardiac arrest was most likely allegedly caused by a 'non-accidental injury'.

8Chelsea Cuthbertson, 28, called for an ambulance and said son Malakai Watts was not breathingCredit: AT&T Audience Network 8Cuthbertson pictured outside court todayCredit: Solent 8Doctors found Cuthbertson's son Malakai allegedly died from being shakenCredit: Solent

He was rushed from her flat in Hythe, near Southampton, Hants, to Southampton General Hospital on February 2, 2019 but died four days later after he was taken off life support.

Malakai was 'grey from head to toe' when police arrived at the two-bedroom flat, a jury was told.

Today, Cuthbertson, who denies murder, appeared at Winchester Crown Court, Hants, where prosecutor Sally Howes QC explained the cause of death was recorded as 'head injury'.

Examinations also revealed he had suffered eight rib fractures.

Ms Howes QC said: "He was born one of twins on 25 December 2018, the son of defendant Chelsea Cuthbertson and her partner Dell Watts.

"Following a cardio respiratory collapse on 2 February 2019, Malakai was taken by ambulance to Southampton General Hospital. Following an initial assessment he was placed on the paediatric intensive care unit.

"On 6 February 2019, when following the decision to withdraw life support, he died. An extensive post mortem investigation identified findings consistent with traumatic head injury.

"The key mechanism was some form of shaking, possibly with some form of impact.

"The post mortem investigation also identified eight rib fractures, one of which is clearly older than all the others and therefore must have been sustained on an earlier occasion."

8Cuthbertson's son was was 'grey from head to toe' when police arrived at the two-bedroom flat, a jury was toldCredit: Solent 8The court heard Cuthbertson met her son's dad in August 2014Credit: AT&T Audience Network 8Cuthbertson gave birth to twins, with Malakai being the smaller of the twoCredit: Solent

The court heard Cuthbertson met Mr Watts in August 2014 and had a daughter together in February 2016, following which they moved into the flat in Hythe.

Ms Howes added: "Both Chelsea Cuthbertson and Dell Watts were habitual users of cannabis and also took cocaine on a less frequent basis."

She explained that Mr Watts moved out due to 'friction' in their 'on and off' relationship, but returned home when the twins were born several weeks premature, with an expected due date of February 5, 2019.

Malakai was born the smaller of the two twins but they were both discharged from hospital on January 9.


Ms Howes explained that Mr Watts recalled being woken by Malakai 'crying' at about 3am on the day the ambulance was called.

She said: "The twins slept in separate cribs next to the bed on the side that Miss Cuthbertson used.

"Approximately five minutes after being settled, Malakai started breathing quickly. He [Mr Watts] described it as being panting. He asked her if he was ok, she said he was fine. This continued for about ten minutes and then returned to normal."

Ms Howes explained that the twins woke for their 4am feed, and Mr Watts left the room several times to bring the bottles in after Cuthbertson said to him 'Oh, well there are fucking two of them'.

She explained that Mr Watts 'could tell that Chelsea Cuthbertson was about to get angry and argumentative with him' so he went and slept on the sofa.

The next morning he left for work after peering through the door and hearing Cuthbertson 'snoring'. He did not check on the children before he left.

At 9.30am Cuthbertson called 999, reporting her baby boy was not breathing.

Ms Howes described the paramedic arriving to find Cuthbertson giving CPR to Malakai on the floor of the bedroom, with the older daughter 'distraught and crying' by the foot of the bed.

The court heard the paramedic described the baby as 'floppy' with 'pale' lips.

Another ambulance crew and a helicopter team arrived to assist and were able to get circulation flowing before he was transferred into an ambulance and sent to hospital.

Ms Howes said Malakai showed signs of internal bleeding which 'raised the possibility of non-accidental injury'.

The first police officer on scene spoke to Cuthbertson, who told her that she had gone outside for five minutes to have a cigarette and that Malakai was not breathing when she came back.

Most read in NewsCOME HOME PLEAShamima Begum says she was just a ‘dumb kid’ when she joined ISISDRINK DRIVE DEATHGrandad killed when he rode electric bike while 3 times drink-drive limit'wicked'Dad 'murdered daughter, 17, after she exposed sex abuse & wife helped cover it up'PUB PLUNGEMan in his 20s dies after falling from second-floor window of pubLET HER RESTGrieving mum ordered to make baby's grave smaller or workmen will do itKAYAK TRAGEDYMan in his 30s dies after falling from kayak in 27C heatwave

The court heard that once at hospital Malakai had an emergency ultrasound and a CT scan which found 'catastrophic signs of brain injury'.

Ms Howes said it was the opinion of doctors his physical injuries meant non-accidental injury was 'the most likely cause of his cardiac arrest'.

The trial continues.

8The court heard that Cuthbertson was a habitual cannabis userCredit: AT&T Audience Network 8Cuthbertson, who denies murder, appeared at Winchester Crown Court todayCredit: Solent

Other News

  • Two Fort Hood soldiers charged with attempting to smuggle undocumented immigrants into Texas
  • Murdered South Carolina man reportedly had other brushes with the law
  • Wife, 59, murdered husband, 80, by pouring boiling water mixed with sugar over him as he slept
  • Here comes the bridezilla! Shocking social media posts capture outlandish wedding behaviour - including one notice telling guests how to style their hair and what to spend on gifts
  • Pennsylvania National Guardsman And Fort Hood Solider Accused Of Smuggling Migrants From Mexico
  • Fort Hood Soldier Accused Of Smuggling Migrants Into Texas From Mexico
  • 2 Teenage Girls Hung From Tree Were Raped And Murdered, Police Say
  • Ex-lawmaker is shot in the back of the head while mowing her lawn – after claiming sister-in-law was murdered nearby
  • UFC 263: 3 things we learned from Dana White during the post-fight scrum
  • Teen Mom Briana DeJesus shares photo of ‘the only thing that matters to me’ after ‘split’ from fiance Javi Gonzalez
  • Scientists say culture - including learned knowledge and skills - is now surpassing genetics as the driving force for human evolution
  • Boyfriend screamed and fell to his knees when he found the bodies of his murdered girlfriend and her sister in a bush
  • Has the political press learned anything in its coverage of the Trump Republican Party?
  • German Stonehenge was ‘ancient sacrifice village’ littered with ‘skeletons of brutally murdered women and children’
  • German Stonehenge was ancient sacrifice village littered with skeletons of brutally murdered women and children
  • Harris needs to visit horrifying Darien Gap to see true migrant pipeline, congressman says
  • Jersey Shore alum Sammi ‘Sweetheart’ Giancola ditches engagement ring again after ‘split’ from fiancé Christian Biscardi
  • Fitness model with ‘Brazil’s biggest bum’ insures asset for £280,000 after waking at 4am daily to pump it up in the gym
  • Michigan Town To Keep Statue Of Black Child, South Soldier