This news has been received from: dailymail.co.uk

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

Runaway Saudi Princess Latifa and her stepmother Princess Hayaa bint al-Hussein have been named as targets of the Pegasus software hack by foreign governments.  

The two women's phone numbers appeared on the list of targets put together by foreign governments who had purchased the software from Israeli firm NSO Group after they both fled the UAE.

   

Pegasus is a malware made by Israeli firm NSO Group that was purportedly intended to combat terrorism and is sold to foreign governments. 

According to Amnesty International and a consortium of international media outlets, foreign governments who bought Pegasus from NSO later used it nefariously snoop through the phones of journalists, royals and private individuals, like the two princesses who both tried to flee Latifa's father Sheikh bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE. 

The suspected culprits are the governments of India, Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Morocco. 

In a report on Wednesday, The Washington Post, one of the outlets in the consortium, reveals that Latifa's phone number appeared on the Pegasus list in 2018, along with others that belonged to her associates, after she fled. 

Haya's was entered in 2019, after she fled, along with the numbers of several of her associates, following an alleged affair with a British bodyguard and after privately raising concerns about Latifa to her husband.  

In 2018, Latifa tried to flee her father on board a yacht but was caught and taken back to Saudi Arabia.

In 2019, Haya fled to London after an alleged affair with a bodyguard.

She has refused to return to the UAE and fought Sheikh Mohammed for custody of their children at the High Court in London last year. She won. 

Amnesty International says both she and Latifa were targeted by hackers after they left the UAE which puts the governments of Saudi Arabia and Dubai firmly in the frame. 

Princess Haya, the second wife of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, was among the 50,000 targets of the Pegasus hack, according to Amnesty International. She left him in 2019 and now lives in London with their children after fighting him at London's High Court for custody

Runaway Princess Latifa was also targeted with Pegasus, which adds to the theory her father chased her down using her phone data after she tried to escape him in 2018 

Others on the list of Pegasus targets include the widow of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and American reporters for CNN, The AP, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal who work overseas, often reporting on corrupt governments. 

NSO Group says it had nothing to do with any misuse of its product and that it is investigating its foreign government clients for abuses. 

Amnesty International said in an announcement that Pegasus led to Latifa being recaptured, and that NSO made 'is the spyware of choice for human rights abusers'.  

'These shocking revelations appear to implicate NSO Group in the catalogue of human rights violations inflicted on Princess Latifa and Princess Haya.

'NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware potentially helped to strip Princess Latifa of her freedom – it may have given her captors the tools they needed to hack her phone and track her down. 

'It may also have been used to target Princess Haya and many of her associates, after she spoke out in support of Princess Latifa. 

'This proves once again that Pegasus is the spyware of choice for human rights abusers,' Amnesty International's Tech Director Rasha Abdul Rahim said.  

Princess Haya, the sixth and youngest wife of billionaire Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum (pictured together at Ascot) left him in 2019. MailOnline previously revealed that she paid her British bodyguard lover (left) £1.2 million to keep their affair secret. They are all pictured together in 2018, a year before she fled

Princess Haya with her lawyer Fiona Shackelton at the High Court in London in February 2020. She fought for custody of their children and won. She also agreed with the media that the court's findings should be made public to expose the UAE regime which she said was rife with human rights violations, which the Pegasus hack revelations compounds 

Latifa was found aboard the yacht Nostromo off the coast of Goa, India, in March 2018 after a failed attempt to escape her father. 

She begged to be shot when Indian commandos stormed the boat and seized her, yelling: 'Shoot me here, don’t send me home!’

She had been helped by Hervé Jaubert, a former French naval captain and spy who had helped her escape from Dubai to Oman. It was previously revealed that the Indian authorities found the Nostromo by pinpointing the internet usage on Jaubert's phone.  

According to a USA Today report earlier this month, it was the FBI that inadvertently turned her over after they were contacted by the Saudi government which allegedly claimed she'd been kidnapped, but Amnesty International's Pegasus claims cast doubt on that. 

Her father maintains that he rescued her from kidnappers and that she has free will. 

Princess Haya is the daughter of King Hussein of Jordan and his third wife Queen Alia and the half-sister of Jordan's King Abdullah II. 

She married into the Emirati in 2004 as the youngest of Sheikh Mohammed's six wives. 

In 2019, she fled Dubai with the two young children she shares with the Sheikh and sought asylum in Germany. She then went on to England. 

Sheikh Mohammed, irate that she'd taken the children from him, filed proceedings to have them sent back and Haya fought them, taking their custody battle to the High Court. 

She argued that if they were sent back, the couple's 12-year-old daughter Jalila would be forced to marry against her will in an arranged marriage. 

She also backed the media's fight to have the court proceedings and judgement be made public.

Sir Andrew McFarlane, president of the family division of the High Court, agreed.   

Latifa was found aboard the yacht Nostromo, sailing in the Indian Ocean, in 2018, after eight days at sea. The yacht is pictured 

Latifa was found aboard the yacht Nostromo off the coast of Goa, India, in March 2018 after a failed attempt to escape her father and his kingdom. She begged to be shot when Indian commandos stormed the boat and seized her, yelling: 'Shoot me here, don’t send me home!’=

He said the sheikh had waged a 'media war' against his wife since she left him, causing more than 1,000 articles to be published about her worldwide. The public were under a false impression about Princess Haya and it needed to be corrected, he added.

'The mother describes her life with the children over the past nine months as being one of 'solitary confinement' in which she and the children have been shunned and deserted by many, if not all, those who had, in happier times, been friends and, for the children, play companions,' Sir Andrew said in his judgement. 

Amnesty started investigating NSO and its software in 2018 after learning one of its staffers had been targeted. 

NSO Group claims it is on a 'life-saving mission' to combat terrorism

It compiled a list of 50,000 phone numbers that were exposed to the malware. It's unclear if all were compromised or if the numbers are just a list of potential targets. 

Some of the reporters are named Financial Times editor Roula Khalaf, Siddharth Varadarajan and Paranjoy Guha Thakurta from Indian news site Wire Omar Radi, a Moroccan journalist, Mexican freelance journalist Cecilio Pineda Birto and Azerbaijani investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova. 

In 2019, NSO Group reportedly contracted the SKDK -  a PR firm run by Anita Dunn, one of President Biden's advisers. 

She did not immediately respond to DailyMail.com's inquiries about the scope of her work with the firm.

Hanan El Atr, the widow of murdered Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi, was also targeted, according to the data

Financial Times editor Roula Khalaf was also among those whose phones were targeted 

The journalists targeted included Ben Hubbard, the New York Times' Beirut Bureau Chief (left) and Azam Ahmed, the Times' Mexico Bureau Chief (right) along with other journalists based in India, the Morocco, Mexico and Azerbaijan.

News Source: dailymail.co.uk

Tags: topics index amnesty international’s journalist jamal khashoggi previously revealed foreign governments human rights violations pegasus don’t send ’shoot me princess latifa to combat terrorism sheikh mohammed the new york times the governments the new york times pictured together appeared be made public on the list after she fled according were targeted phone numbers bureau chief the children saudi arabia she left him she left him the numbers left him

Former FDA commissioner: New CDC mask guidance will likely have 'negligible impact' on curbing Delta variant

Next News:

Frosted relic: Slice of Lady Dis wedding cake up for sale

LONDON (AP) — Don’t let them eat this cake.

A slice of one of Prince Charles and Princess Diana’s wedding cakes is up for auction 40 years after the nuptials watched around the world.

The iced slice came from one of the 23 official wedding cakes marking the July 29, 1981 marriage of the heir to the British throne and his shy 20-year-old bride. It features a marzipan base and a sugar onlay coat-of-arms, colored in gold, red, blue, and silver, on top.

The piece of cake was given to Moyra Smith, a member of the Queen Mother’s household at Clarence House. Smith kept it in a floral cake tin and with a handmade label on the lid reading: “Handle with Care – Prince Charles & Princess Diane’s (sic) Wedding Cake” which she signed and dated 29/7/81.

Smith’s family sold the cake to a collector in 2008, but it is up for auction again Aug. 11. It is expected to fetch between 300 pounds ($418) and 500 pounds ($697), together with an order of service, ceremonial details and a royal wedding breakfast program.

“It appears to be in exactly the same good condition as when originally sold,” Chris Albury, auctioneer and senior valuer at Dominic Winter Auctioneers, said. “But we advise against eating it.”

Copyright © 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Other News

  • Prince Charles and Princess Dianas wedding cake to go up for auction
  • Princess Dianas Brother Charles Spencer Wins Latest Legal Victory over Lie That He Deprived Diana of a Home
  • With Turmoil at Home, More Nicaraguans Flee to the US
  • The Princess Diaries Cast: Where Are They Now?
  • 19 things you probably didn't know about 'The Princess Diaries'
  • Baby expert shares the easy ‘newborn hug’ she claims calms fussy babies instantly
  • THEN AND NOW: The cast of 'The Princess Diaries' 20 years later
  • Dark money group with foreign backer targets Sinema with ads over filibuster support
  • Runaway Pickup With Kids Inside Slams Into Montvale Restaurant
  • With turmoil at home, more Nicaraguans flee to the U.S.
  • Practice Your Curtsy! These Are the Best Movies About Fictional Royals
  • Princess Diana and Prince Charles married 40 years ago today. Heres a complete timeline of their relationship.
  • Tokyo 2020 hero Jess Fox reveals how she used a CONDOM to repair her Olympic kayak in brilliant hack
  • Tokyo 2020 hero Jess Fox reveals how she used a CONDOM to repair her kayak in brilliant hack
  • Mum’s ‘genius’ meal prep hack saves her HOURS every week & parents can’t believe they never thought of it
  • Long Island Animal Advocacy Group Partners With PETA For Billboard Inspired By Runaway Bull
  • Knicks Rumors: Pacers potential trade partner at 13, Davion Mitchell and Chris Duarte are primary targets
  • NSA reveals simple phone trick to help stop hackers from stealing your information – turning it off and on
  • As Brandon Crawford targets return, SF Giants have found another important contributor