Jul 21, 2021
LA Restaurants Close In Response To Rising Numbers, Breakthrough Cases Of COVID-19
This news has been received from: cbslocal.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — A new surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations is again taking its toll on Los Angeles-area restaurants.
Restaurants throughout the region are already struggling to staff up to meet the high demand for dine-in meals, but now they are also being hit disproportionately hard by the rise in new infections, especially among people who are unvaccinated.READ MORE: Suspect Hits Speeds Of Over 160 MPH During Wild Inland Empire Pursuit
This week, both Bottega Louie in West Hollywood and Village Idiot LA in the Melrose area announced temporary closures due to COVID-19 on Instagram.
The Village Idiot said it would close for a few days due after a fully vaccinated staff member tested positive for the virus.View this post on Instagram
A post shared by the village idiot (@villageidiotla)
“We apologize for the inconvenience, but unfortunately we’ve had a breakthrough case of Covid-19 with one of our fully vaccinated staff members. We will be closed for the next few days until all of our employees are tested,” the restaurant said in an Instagram post. “Once we feel secure that it’s safe for us to resume serving you our doors will reopen.”READ MORE: Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty In LA Court To Charges He Sexually Assaulted 5 Women
Bottega Louie in West Hollywood said they would close “out of an abundance of caution.”View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Bottega Louie (@bottegalouie)
“…we have decided to close Bottega Louie West Hollywood for a few days, due to increasing COVID-19 cases,” the restaurant said on Instagram.
Neither restaurant said when they would reopen.
During previous surges of the virus, a mask mandate was in place throughout the state, and restaurants were required to either serve diners outdoors or limit their capacity. But all coronavirus safety restrictions and the mask mandate were lifted statewide on June 15. Since then, the state has seen a troubling rise in new infections, hospitalizations, and deaths, and more than 99% of this surge’s victims have been unvaccinated people.MORE NEWS: Johnny Ray Gasca Of New York Charged With Kidnapping Woman With Dementia From VA Medical Center In West LA
An indoor mask mandate has been reimposed in Los Angeles County, and public health officials in several other counties are strongly recommending people wear face masks when indoors or in crowded outdoor venues.
News Source: cbslocal.com
Tags: coronavirus covid 19 los angeles melrose west hollywood view this post on instagram fully vaccinated staff rise in new infections the restaurant said a post shared for a few days throughout mask mandate los angeles would close
Sommelier charged for 3 NYC arson attacks, including rival restaurants
More On: arson Man accused of setting deadly fire because relatives didn’t follow Bible US media shamefully justified a string of Canadian church burnings Dad accused of intentionally setting fire that killed his infant, her grandparents Bronx man busted for killing roommate, setting apartment on fire: cops
A one-time “sommelier of the year” was apparently far too obsessed with fiery reds — getting charged this week in connection to a trio of Manhattan arson attacks, authorities said.
Caleb Ganzer — the 35-year-old managing partner of La Compagnie des Vins Surnaturels on Centre Street — was first busted after he was caught starting a fire to Prince Street Pizza’s outdoor dining shed in Nolita in the early hours of July 13, FDNY Fire Marshals said.
Surveillance footage shows a shorts-wearing man casually using a lighter to start a small blaze in one corner, doing the same to the other end of the outdoor area as he strolls off.
Photographs showed the structure was badly charred by the blaze.
After a “thorough investigation” and arrest of Ganzer — who has worked at some of Manhattan’s most exclusive restaurants — investigators tied him to two other lower Manhattan attacks that “fit the same pattern,” the marshalls said.
The first was from late on Jan. 8 to another outdoor dining structure, this time to Forsythia Restaurant on Stanton Street in the Lower East Side, close to where Ganzer appears to live.Caleb Ganzer lit up a rival restauraunt.FDNY
Owner Jacob Siwak told The New York Times that someone had tried to light a fire at least four times over nine days that month — saying it cost $3,500 to repair the shed after both ends burned down completely.
One sparked flames at least two stories high that threatened to spread to the restaurant and even the rest of the building, he said.
Siwak told the paper he “was expecting it to be a guy that flicked a cigarette butt in the trash or a homeless man trying to keep warm.”
Instead, his security cameras showed a nattily dressed man who had even unpacked kindling from his backpack to start fires.
Investigators also tied Ganzer to a trash fire on the corner of Broome and Centre Streets, close to his own establishment.
Ganzer — who was “Food & Wine” magazine’s “sommelier of the year” in 2017 — was hit with a slew of charges.
They included two counts of third-degree arson, two counts of third-degree criminal mischief and three counts of second-degree reckless endangerment, the FDNY said. The case will be prosecuted by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.Caleb Ganzer’s arson work left three restaurants charred.FDNY Prince Street Pizza’s outdoor eating venue was lit aflame.FDNY
“Every act of arson has the potential to spread rapidly, endangering the lives of New Yorkers and FDNY members,” Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. “Thankfully in these incidents there were no injuries and the suspect has been apprehended before another fire could be set.”
Ganzer was not immediately available for comment, and his social media appeared to have been switched to private settings since his arrest.
“We as the company are aware of the incident, and Mr. Ganzer is on a leave of absence,” La Compagnie des Vins Surnaturels told the Times, refusing to comment further.see also
Originally from Illinois, Ganzer lived for a time in Paris before settling in New York about a dozen years ago, according to a 2017 article in The Daily Journal to mark his “Food and Wine” honor.
“New York’s become home,” he told the paper at the time.
However, in a recent interview with Sommelier Business, he complained about the “sort of existentially crippling” pressure of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A bio on Great Sommeliers noted that he has worked at several restaurants owned by the chef Daniel Boulud, including Daniel and DBGB.
The site also features a video of him using a blow torch to prepare port wine while he was the sommelier at Eleven Madison Park .
With a big smile, he says, “This is the most dramatic aspect of it — it’s the fire.”Filed under arson , fires , manhattan , wine , 7/29/21