Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 04:30:12
1000 results - (0.002 seconds)

stay:

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Gov. Gavin Newsom is expected to lift California's strict stay-at-home orders he imposed on much of the state in December.In a letter to restaurant owners, the California Restaurant Association say sources tell them that officials with Gov. Newsom's office plan to lift the stay-at-home orders in all regions of the state on Monday.Golden Gate Restaurant Association President Laurie Thomas says she's "optimistic outdoor dining will resume by the end of the week"RELATED: Gov. Newsom announces new, regional stay-at-home order in CaliforniaWhen Newsom announced the most recent round of stay-at-home orders, he divided the state into five regions. The new restrictions would be triggered if any region's hospital intensive-care unit available capacity dropped below 15%.The stay-at-home order closed bars, wineries, nail salons, hair salons and barbershops, and other personal care services. Private gatherings of any size were prohibited, although enforcement of that has been inconsistent. Restaurants had...
    Madison LeCroy shares screenshots of alleged fling with Jay Cutler Rental lease agreement: Know what your lease means and how to get out of it Even Houstons mayor is trying to get Deshaun Watson to stay with the Texans next season Even the Houston mayor is getting in on the push to keep Deshaun Watson with the Texans next season.  Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner sent a pair of tweets out at Watson on Sunday afternoon, yet another effort from Houstonians to get Watson to want to stay with the team in 2021.  Houston loves @deshaunwatson and the @HoustonTexans. Houston is a great City that is hungry to back our players and team. As Mayor of a City that is second to none I pray we move forward together. st— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) January 24, 2021 I value @deshaunwatson as a player but I respect him even more as a...
    BOSTON (CBS) — At Douzo Modern Japanese restaurant in Boston, it’s far from business as usual, but CEO Jack Huang has been staying positive throughout the pandemic. “End of the tunnel there’s a light for us so we will hang in there until that comes up,” he said. Some of the coronavirus restrictions that were put into place back in November are being lifted on Monday, meaning restaurants like Douzo no longer have to close at 9:30 p.m. “It’s giving people something to look forward to. In the past, they say, ‘I need to home by 9:30,’ now it’s a little different, now it’s ‘I can go in at 9 o’clock or 8:30,’” Huang said. For a while, the latest reservations at Douzo were at 7 p.m. Huang has been in business in the Back Bay for 15 years. This is no doubt the most challenging time of his career....
    SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A stunning turn with regional ICU availability numbers. The Bay Area is suddenly at 23.4% capacity after spending a couple of weeks in the single digits, according to state data released this weekend. ICU availability has become the number the state relies on when it comes to issuing stay-at-home orders, the threshold is 15%."This could potentially be the beginning of the end," said UCSF Epidemiologist Dr. George Rutherford.RELATED: Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rulesThose encouraging words from Dr. Rutherford, after Bay Area's ICU capacity saw a dramatic improvement from 6% last week to more than 23% on Saturday."All this stuff suggests we're on the downslope of the third wave of the pandemic, finally," said Rutherford.Doctors confirm COVID-19-related hospitalizations have dropped at Zuckerburg San Francisco General Hospital."Percentages of ICU patients are staying down so overall that's given us capacity, it's very encouraging news...
    She may be 51, but with her smooth skin, wrinkle-free forehead and impressively unlined eyes, Jennifer Lopez doesn’t look a day over 40. In fact, she looks no different than she did a decade ago. Yet when one fan recently took to social media to claim that her youthful glow must be the result of wrinkle-zapping Botox injections, the singer was quick to shoot them down. ‘For the 500 millionth time . . . I have never done Botox or any injectable or surgery!!’ she wrote in reply. ‘Just sayin’.’ Miss Lopez is not the only celebrity whose face seems to be frozen in time. Here, ALISON BOSHOFF looks at the stars who still look the same as they did a decade ago — leaving us all wondering how do they do it? When a fan commented on Instagram last week that singer Jennifer Lopez, 51, had ‘definitely’ had...
    WINSTON SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Dana Evans hit a driving shot for the go-ahead three-point play with 8.0 seconds left to help top-ranked Louisville barely avoid a huge upset by holding off Wake Forest 65-63 on Sunday. Evans’ driving shot against Gina Conti and free throw finally gave the Cardinals their winning margin. But Louisville had to survive a final shot from the Demon Deacons, with Ivana Raca missing a 3-pointer from the right at the horn that would’ve given Wake Forest its first-ever win against a No. 1-ranked opponent. Instead, the Cardinals survived to remain unbeaten less than a week after ascending to the top spot in the AP Top 25 poll for the first time. Evans scored 25 points for Louisville (14-0, 7-0 Atlantic Coast Conference), who trailed by nine midway through the fourth quarter before going on a 14-2 run to push back in front and set...
    Drew Angerer/Getty Images In the past year of the Trump administration, there were plenty of calls for Dr. Anthony Fauci to resign, given how President Donald Trump and people around him were saying things very different than he was. In a new interview with the New York Times, Fauci says he “never” did. “When people just see you standing up there, they sometimes think you’re being complicit in the distortions emanating from the stage. But I felt that if I stepped down, that would leave a void. Someone’s got to not be afraid to speak out the truth,” he said. Fauci argued that by staying there, he was “the skunk at the picnic” pushing back against overly optimistic talk from others. “Even if I wasn’t very effective in changing everybody’s minds, the idea that they knew that nonsense could not be spouted without my pushing back on it, I felt...
    UFC 257 is underway! The world has its eyes on it as Conor McGregor will face Dustin Poirier in the main event. The biggest personalities from Hollywood, MMA, and even wrestling have chimed in with their picks. One such personality was fellow Irishman and WWE Superstar Becky Lynch. Becky Lynch sends a message to Conor McGregor ahead of his UFC 257 fight WWE Superstar Becky Lynch took to Instagram earlier today to send a message to ‘The Notorious’ Conor McGregor ahead of his fight against Dustin Poirier. Becky wore Roots of Fight merch as she held her newborn baby, Roux, in one hand. She endorsed the merchandise subtly and mentioned the proceedings would go for children’s health in Ireland. This isn’t the first time Becky is rooting for McGregor. Back when Khabib Nurmagomedov defeated Conor, Becky backed him up and believed he would beat Khabib in a rematch. Not just...
    PARIS (AP) — Jonathan David’s early goal was enough to help second-place Lille secure a 1-0 win at Rennes on Sunday and stay level on points with league leader Paris Saint-Germain. The Canada forward pounced in the 15th minute after goalkeeper Romain Salin failed to properly clear a corner, and the ball fell to him to sweep into the left side of the net. After a slow start to his Lille career, the 21-year-old David has four league goals. David made a sharp run behind the Rennes defense midway through the first half and was awarded a penalty after being knocked over by defender Nayef Aguerd. But referee Eric Wattellier reversed the decision after a video replay showed that David was fractionally offside when making his move, and rescinded the yellow card shown to Aguerd. The home side threatened little after the break and it was a comfortable win for...
    SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — The Bay Area has experienced the largest ICU capacity swing in several weeks — jumping to 23.4% availability from just 6.5%. So when will the restrictive COVID-19 surge stay-at-home order be lifted? “I really want to stress this, that I firmly believe this is our last surge and this is the last time that those restrictive lockdowns will occur, because of the availability of the vaccine,” said UCSF Infectious Disease Expert Dr. Monica Gandhi. “Because of the new administration and the federal government pushing it out, signing the National Defense Act.” Gandhi is encouraged by the region’s ICU availability. She is seeing hospitalizations drop first-hand at Zuckerberg San Francisco General, where she also works. “We did not see the surge that was predicted. We did from Thanksgiving, and then it was not as bad at Christmas and New Year’s at all that was predicted,” she...
    By Laura Schweizer | KITV Maui, HI — Monday at about 7:45 a.m., a 73-year-old man was bitten by a shark while snorkeling at Ka’anapali Beach on Maui. It happened in waters fronting the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort, about 40 yards out. Maui Fire and Ocean Safety responded to the call after the California visitor was reportedly bit by an estimated eight foot shark. The victim made it to shore on his own, and was given first aid by staff at the resort. The man suffered lacerations to his calf, but is said to be in good condition. He is still being evaluated by medics. Related Articles Young sea lion recovers from shark bite at Marine Mammal Center, returns to ocean Beach goers are advised to stay out of the water. “Shark warning signs have been posted from Pu’u Keka’a (Black Rock Beach) to Honokowai Beach Park warning...
    A HAIRDRESSER who racked up £17,000 in coronavirus fines by staying open during the second national lockdown has vowed to reopen next week. Sinead Quinn went viral after quoting the Magna Carta when cops insisted she closed her business last month. ???? Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 4Sinead Quinn has vowed to reopen her salon on January 30 despite the national lockdownCredit: Guzelian The hairdresser has vowed that her salon Quinn Blakey Hairdressing in Oakenshaw, West Yorks will reopen on January 30 - despite the national lockdown. Hairdressers are not permitted to open under the national lockdown rules. The salon owner racked up £17,000 worth of fixed penalty notices and received a court order that banned her from opening until after midnight on December 2 - the end of the previous national lockdown. Kirklees council confirmed none of the fixed penalties had...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — With temperatures this cold, many are trying to find ways to stay warm. Eyewitness News has some dos and don’ts for heating your home and some resources for those who need a place to go. These biting cold temperatures aren’t for the faint of heart. You want to make sure your source of heat is safe. Whipping winds coupled with cold temperatures can be brutal. “It is getting there, yes,” Alexa Sammie of South Philadelphia said. People out and about are bundled up and staying warm. “Obviously with my new Eddie Bauer down jacket,” Cara Clinton of Northern Liberties said. Staying inside where it’s warm and cozy is always a great idea. Fairmount Hardware has been busy. “Everything’s been flying off the shelves, from firewood to heaters, parts for generators,” Michelle Connelly with Fairmount Hardware said. “People are fixing their equipment that they’re realizing is not working.”...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, so does the battle over returning to in-person learning at Chicago Public Schools. Kindergarten through eighth-grade teachers are scheduled to return to classrooms this Monday, Jan. 25. Students in kindergarten through eighth grade are set to return a week later, on Monday, Feb. 1. As CBS 2’s Jeremy Ross reported, some parents are urging educators to stick to that timeline. But the Chicago Teachers Union is holding a vote that could change everything. It has been about 10 months since some students have seen the inside of a classroom. Those 10 months have been long for 6-year-old Constantino Torres and his 6-year-old sister, Olivia. Both are relying on e-learning, and both have special needs. “My daughter she has issues with speech and a learning disability, so I’m not a speech therapist; I’m not a special education teacher, and besides not being...
    SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- All Bay Area counties are under a stay-at-home order as the region's ICU capacity is at only 6.5%.STAY AT HOME ORDER DETAILS: Gov. Newsom announces new, regional stay-at-home order in CaliforniaThe stay-at-home order was triggered when the region's ICU capacity dropped below 15%.ABC7 News data journalism team also took a look at the statistics for all nine Bay Area counties, plus Santa Cruz and Monterey, which the state includes as part of the region. Here's how it breaks down at the county level:Alameda: 26.5% of ICU beds available, as of Jan. 22Contra Costa: 2.3% of ICU beds available, as of Jan. 22RELATED: Here's what will close under a stay-at-home order in the Bay AreaMarin: Data for ICU beds not availableMonterey: 18% of ICU beds available, as of Jan. 22Napa: 8% of ICU beds available as of Jan. 22San Francisco: 26% of ICU beds available, as of...
    The negotiations were simple: I begged. “No,” they said. I pleaded. “Nope,” they replied. I bargained: Let me stay up until 9 o’clock, and I’ll go to bed a half-hour earlier tomorrow. Swear to God! “A half-hour tonight in exchange for a half-hour tomorrow. You’ll shake on it?” my father asked, overruling the far more draconian leanings of my mother — to whom an 8:30 bedtime for a generally hyper 7-year-old boy seemed perfectly reasonable. I extended my hand. My father shook it. So it was that on the evening of April 8, 1974, inside the modest house at 669 Thrush Avenue, West Hempstead, a deal was struck: I would be allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch two Hank Aaron at-bats on a night when a Braves-Dodgers baseball game would be televised on Channel 4. I was too young to know just how much leverage I really...
    Q: Self-driving cars will bring new business for psychiatrists! John Dannenberg Like Mr. Roadshow’s Facebook page for more questions and answers about Bay Area roads, freeways and commuting. A: Why is that? Q: Your column is replete with narcissistic complainers who retch about road boulders, speeders, lane-changers, dive-bombers, and tailgaters. But these denizens of the vanishing manual control era will be cast into a deep depression when their new autopilot vehicle obeys speed laws, maintains safe separation, won’t weave in and out of traffic, run red lights, or cut others off. Predictably, as the limited road real estate fills to capacity with ever-longer trucks and SUVs, autopilots will announce the sad news as to when your vehicle will be permitted to enter traffic. But hark, relief is on the horizon! You will be able to outbid those less fortunate for favored routing privileges. Aggressive driving will be replaced by...
    PEAKY Blinders fans can stay in the house which features in the show as the home of Arthur Shelby. Located in Cheshire in the village of Rostherne, the house featured in series four. 8You can stay at a house that features in the TV series Peaky Blinders Of course, Hawthorn Bank has modern upgrades for guests which didn't feature in the series. The three-bedroom property can sleep up to eight people, with a double room, twin room, single room and a sofa-bed in the main living room. There are also two dining rooms and living rooms, making it perfect for entertaining. If you feel chilly, there is a fireplace with logs for when the evenings get cold. Stays start from £180 per night with minimum four-night stays although you can book for just two nights. You can even request a hot tub for additional costs which is private for guests...
    NATALIE Cassidy has slammed supermarket shoppers for ignoring social distancing guidelines. The former EastEnders star, 37, vented her annoyance at fellow shoppers “walking into” her and “leaning over” while she’s picking up essential items. 8Natalie Cassidy shared her feelings about the latest UK lockdown in a candid Instagram postCredit: Instagram Mum-of-two Natalie shared her message to 73,000 Instagram fans alongside a relaxed selfie, featuring a smile and a cuppa in hand. She began: “Ready for another day with my girls. The data we receive each day from the news is so upsetting.  “I just wanted to say I’m thinking of everyone who has lost someone and thinking of the people who’s loved ones are in hospital.  “I’m thinking of people on their own and the Drs and nurses who are dealing with it each day. 8The former EastEnders star said fellow shoppers who walked into her were "driving me mad"Credit:...
    Celebrity PDA of 2021 He began buying Tesla at just $7.50, and now he’s retiring at 39 years old with $12 million worth — he still refuses to sell a single share AC Milan stay top despite Atalanta defeat as rivals Inter held AC Milan held top spot in Serie A on Saturday despite falling 3-0 at home against Atalanta after nearest rivals Inter were held to a goalless draw at Udinese. © MIGUEL MEDINA Duvan Zapata scored for Atalanta in a 3-0 win over AC Milan in the San Siro. © MIGUEL MEDINA Zlatan Ibrahimovic's AC Milan fell to their second defeat of the season against Atalanta. Stefano Pioli's Milan saw their lead on second-placed Inter cut to two points but hold pole position at the half-way stage of the season for the first time since they last won the title in 2011. © Filippo MONTEFORTE Under-pressure Roma...
    BORIS Johnson has given up booze for the month to help him keep trim. The PM, 56, has swapped pints and red wine for soft drinks and non-alcoholic beer to observe Dry January. 3Boris has given up booze for the month to help him keep in trimCredit: PA:Press Association He has also gone on the 5:2 diet — eat what you want for five days, fast the other two — on the advice of partner Carrie Symonds. He has lost two stone since last April when he nearly died from Covid — later admitting he was “way overweight” when he contracted the disease and went into intensive care. A close source said: “Boris has always enjoyed a social drink but has been enduring, and succeeding so far, with Dry January. “He’s had drinks like Heineken Blue and other low alcohol stuff to get him through. "His health’s never been more...
    In what has been described as “emotionally manipulative propaganda”, the British government has released a high-production lockdown ad campaign, attempt to guilt the public into obeying the country’s lockdown restrictions. On Saturday, the official Number 10 Downing Street account for the office of Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Twitter published a dramatic video of sickly coronavirus patients and National Health Service (NHS) workers, demanding that Britons “Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives”. As ominous Hollywood-esque piano plays in the background, the video pans in close to the eyes of coronavirus patients, and the narrator says: “Look them in the eyes and tell them you’re doing all you can to stop the spread of COVID-19.” The shock ad was accompanied by the message: “COVID-19 hospital admissions are higher than ever. It’s likely someone near you has it. So only go out if it’s essential. Sticking to the rules stops the...
    (CNN)Not all the Capitol rioters are riotous enough to stay in jail. But the question of which ones are has become one of the thorniest issues for courts to decide, more than two weeks after a pro-Donald Trump mob attacked the US Capitol.Four times so far, judges across the country have disagreed with the Justice Department's attempt to keep locked up alleged rioters who breached the Capitol on January 6. The latest ruling came Friday night in Tennessee, where a judge decided to release a man who's become known for the zip-tie-like restraints he carried and the black helmet and body armor he wore into the Senate chamber that day.At least three other alleged rioters whom judges said should be released still remain in custody, and will be brought to Washington, DC, according to court records. Investigation into US Capitol riot moves into more complicated phaseThe surprise recent decisions from...
    Five California businesses are suing Gov. Gavin Newsom, Attorney General Xavier Becerra and public health officer Dr. Erica Pan over the state's coronavirus stay-at-home orders.  Lawyers representing Pineapple Hill Saloon & Grill, Luxury Nail Lounge, Pomp Salon, Bella & Harmony and Coachella Valley Hospitality Unites argue that the restrictions violate the merchants' constitutional rights. Angela Marsden, owner of Pineapple Hill in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood of Los Angeles, appeared in a video that went viral in December in which she claims Mayor Eric Garcetti shut down her restaurant's outdoor patio while allowing a film crew to set up an outdoor dining area across the street. "There is no science nor data that justifies the blanket closure of all outdoor dining and beauty services," Harmeet K. Dhillon, managing partner of the Dhillon Law Group, Inc., said in a Friday statement. "While California continues to experience the most restrictive shelter-in-place orders in the country, the highest positive test rate and most deaths, Governor Newsom's orders are devastating small businesses while...
    COPS patrolled packed parks and beaches today as Brits headed out this weekend despite the Government's stay at home pleas. People keen for fresh air flocked to walking routes amid the third lockdown - before bad weather sweeps in tomorrow. ???? Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 14Cops talking to people in London's Trafalgar SquareCredit: © 2021 Joshua Bratt 14A popular spot, Victoria Park in east London was full of groups out for a strollCredit: London News Pictures 14Bournemouth beach front was busy today as people enjoyed the sunny dayCredit: ©Graham Hunt 14Although cold, it was a fine day to walk along the beach at TynemouthCredit: North News and Pictures Cops were seen speaking to people to remind them of the rules while out and about. Brits have to stay at home as much as possible to beat the rise in Covid cases...
    Research has revealed that proper daily water intake is directly tied into personal wellness, and there is no reason that your on-the-go lifestyle needs to limit that necessary hydration. For some, the solution is to repeatedly purchase plastic bottles, which are costly and create a negative impact on our environment. Instead, invest in one of these several innovative and sustainable bottles that are ready to quench your thirst, last long-term, and keep you moving in a positive direction. Vapur 1L Wide Mouth Anti-Bottle: Bundle of 2, on sale for $14.99 (34% off) It supplies reusable, foldable, attachable, freezable, and sustainable convenience. Unlike traditional rigid bottles, it lays flat when empty, and has the ability to be folded and stored where other bottles cannot. Pressa Bottle: Water Bottle and Built-In Juicer, on sale for $32.99 (17% off) Enjoy a delicious and nutritious alternative to artificial flavors, as this compressing unit allows...
    The Paris Saint-Germain playerKylian Mbappé has revealed this Friday that it is in talks with your current club to renewHe also confirmed that he is “happy” in the French capital and that “soon” he will make a decision about his future, for which Real Madrid continues to wait. The French international, world champion in 2018, marked this friday in the Parisian victory against Montpellier (4-0) after four games without seeing a goal. Mbappé, who has a contract with PSG until June 30, 2022, appeared before the media and but did not make his position clear to renew. “We are currently negotiating with the club, looking at the project, and I too find myself reflecting, in a period of reflection … If I renew with PSG it will be to stay for many years, “said Mbappé in statements after the game to ‘Telefoot’. “I’ll have to make a decision soon, but...
    Kamala Harris' niece has told how her partner gave up his high-flying tech job in San Francisco to be a stay-at-home father to their two daughters, and free her to write feminist children's books and run her business. Meena Harris, 36, told The Times how Nikolas Ajagu, who she met while working in the tech industry, decided he wanted to be a full-time father to Amara, four, and two-year-old Leela. Ajagu left his job as the Global Head of Partnerships at Facebook to raise their children, she told the paper. It was unclear if he has since returned: his LinkedIn page says he still works for the company. On the day of the inauguration won praise from sneakerheads for his stylish $2,000 Dior Air Jordan 1s. 'We do not ascribe to the traditional gender role thing in our house,' she said. Meena Harris and her partner Nikolas Ajagu are parents...
    NATIONAL Guard troops numbering roughly 5,000 are expected to stay at the Capitol through at least March - as First Lady Jill Biden expressed appreciation by giving them cookies.  Those Guardsmen will remain amid lingering threats of "right-wing extremism" after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, although no violent incidents occurred on Inauguration Day. 6About 5,000 National Guards members are expected to stay in Washington, DC, through MarchCredit: EPA 6First Lady Jill Biden handed out cookies to GuardsmenCredit: AFP The 5,000 troops will be stationed in Washington, DC, through mid-March, the National Guard told a WUSA reporter on Friday. Local law enforcement officials had requested that about 7,000 members continue to assist them, a National Guard official told Military.com the same day. Guard members who stay past the original 31-day mobilization order will do so voluntarily and receive orders with new time frames, Guard Bureau spokesman Nahaku McFadden told Military.com. "We are...
    SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose hazmat crews are responding to an ammonia spill that has blocked off streets.Fire officials say it's on Eggo Way off Wooster Avenue which is not far from Highway 101.The fire department is telling people who live in the area to stay inside and to close their doors and windows.The Kellogg Company has a plant in the area there also is a park and some apartments.Stay with ABC7 News for the latest details on this developing story.
    Loading the player... Airbnb says it wants to help combat COVID-19. The home rental company sent a letter to President Joe Biden on Friday alerting him it is willing to help with vaccine distribution with a focus on rural areas, per The Hill. Read More: Airbnb reviewing bookings in Michigan Capitol The company would like to offer up some of its listings as vaccine distribution centers, especially in areas that health care facilities aren’t as plentiful. “These Airbnb ‘vaccine depots’ could be available in locations where there are limited or no health care facilities or pharmacies, so-called ‘health care deserts,’ ” wrote Christopher Lehane, Airbnb’s senior vice president for global policy and communications. He adds that companies have assisted with nationwide hardships in the past. A COVID-19 vaccine hub taking appointments only stands in Brooklyn as the city begins to run low on doses on January 22, 2021...
    Reuters January 22, 2021 0 Comments Between 150 and 200 National Guard deployed to Washington, D.C., to provide security for President Joe Biden’s inauguration have tested positive for the coronavirus, a U.S. official said on Friday. The U.S. government imposed unprecedented security measures in the city following the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump, including fences topped with razor wire and checkpoints manned by National Guard. The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the number of National Guard troops who tested positive could rise but was still a small fraction of the more than 25,000 troops deployed in city over the past few days. The United States reported more than 4,000 daily deaths from COVID-19 for a second consecutive day on Thursday, according to a Reuters analysis of public health data, bringing the cumulative number of U.S. lives lost...
    Moderate GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski has been very vocal for years that she’s no fan of Donald Trump’s takeover of the Republican Party. But the lawmaker from Alaska made it clear on Friday that she has "absolutely no desire" to leave the GOP and join Senate Democrats. IN WAKE OF CAPITOL INSURRECTION, MURKOWSKI CALLS ON TRUMP TO RESIGN And Murkowski, speaking with reporters on Capitol Hill, acknowledged that she didn’t vote for Trump in November’s presidential election, saying "I wrote someone in." December 14, 2020 - Washington, DC, United States: U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) speaking at a press conference to introduce a bipartisan and bicameral COVID relief bill. (Photo by Michael Brochstein/Sipa USA)No Use UK. No Use Germany. (Reuters) After the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol by right wing extremists and other Trump supporters which was seemingly encouraged hours earlier by the president, Murkowski called on Trump...
    SACRAMENTO (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has from the start said his coronavirus policy decisions would be driven by data shared with the public to provide maximum transparency. But with the state starting to emerge from its worst surge, his administration won’t disclose key information that will help determine when his latest stay-at-home order is lifted. State health officials said they rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public. Dr. Lee Riley, chairman of the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health infectious disease division, disagreed. “There is more uncertainty created by NOT releasing the data that only the state has access to,” he said in an email. Its release would allow outside experts to assess its value for projecting trends and the resulting decisions on lifting restrictions, he wrote. Newsom, a Democrat, imposed the...
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California Gov. Gavin Newsom has from the start said his coronavirus policy decisions would be driven by data shared with the public to provide maximum transparency.But with the state starting to emerge from its worst surge, his administration won't disclose key information that will help determine when his latest stay-at-home order is lifted.RELATED: Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under stay-at-home order, reopening tiersState health officials said they rely on a very complex set of measurements that would confuse and potentially mislead the public if they were made public.After Newsom, a Democrat, imposed the nation's first statewide shutdown in March, his administration developed reopening plans that included benchmarks for virus data such as per capita infection rates that counties needed to meet to relax restrictions.It released data models state officials used to project whether infections, hospitalizations and deaths are likely to rise or fall.As cases surged...
    New York : Robbie Williams. Photo: John Phillips / . According to reports in a British newspaper, the singer Robbie Williams flew to St. Barts in France with his wife Ayda field and his four children shortly after Christmas where he was caught a few days ago using a face mask to travel by boat, but it seems that despite taking the proper precautions, these did not work. He ended up getting infected in the place and the artist had to extend his stay with the intention of isolating himself after receiving the news that he had tested positive for Covid-19. Vacation #RobbieWilliams they end badly, it catches # Covid19 and he will have to ‘sacrifice’ himself and remain there in that paradise. ????????‍♂️ pic.twitter.com/QsSCipdClY – CandyShowDAILY (@TheCSdaily) January 22, 2021 “Robbie has been quite ill, but he is already much better. He is...
    A GROUP of Covidiot families were slapped with £200 fines after they were caught enjoying a barbecue on the snowy moors. Five adults and eight kids from three separate households were busted by cops after they drove more than 20 miles for the grilling in Waskerley, County Durham. ???? Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 2Durham Police found the group grilling away in sub-zero temperatures on ThursdayCredit: PA:Press Association Durham Police said they were called out at around 4pm on Thursday to find the group - including a seven-month-old baby - in sub-zero temperatures, with the remnants of Storm Christoph still causing 40mph gusts. Initially the adults insisted they hadn't done anything wrong - but later came to accept they were at risk of spreading coronavirus. They were also told they had put themselves and the emergency services in danger, should they have crashed...
    Stay-at-home dad and former aircraft technician Steve Jones is converting a Boeing 737 plane into a mobile home. Courtesy Steve Jones Stay-at-home dad Steve Jones is converting a Boeing 737 plane into a camper trailer. Jones has been renovating camper trailers for over a decade. Jones' plans for the Boeing 737 camper include adding French doors and a rear balcony. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Steve Jones knows his way around a plane. A former aircraft technician turned stay-at-home dad, Jones has found a creative way to combine his love of planes with his duties at home.Last year, he transformed a 13-foot-long nacelle of a VC10 jet engine into a camper trailer for family road trips.Now, he's set his sights on something much larger: a decommissioned Boeing 737 plane.Take a look inside what he calls his "craziest project" yet.
    ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Authorities in Greece say high schools will reopen on Feb. 1 for the first time since mid-November, but that nationwide lockdown measures will remain in effect. Education Minister Niki Kerameus on Friday said high schools would follow the reopening of primary schools on Jan. 11 and a limited opening of retail stores a week later. But restrictions on movement will remain in effect, including a national nightly curfew, a ban on domestic travel and a mandatory seven-day quarantine for all passengers arriving from abroad at Greek airports through Feb. 8. Remote classes will also continue for university students. Greece has seen a steep decline in pandemic-related deaths in recent weeks, but authorities say tough restrictions will remain in place through the winter. The weekly rolling average number of deaths is currently at 0.25 per 100,000 residents in Greece, from a high of 0.94 in early December....
    Bernie Sanders sitting alone with mittens on sparked a flurry of memes. BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images Sen. Bernie Sanders responded to all the memes made of him at President Joe Biden's inauguration on "Late Night with Seth Meyers." Sanders told Meyers he was just "trying to keep warm" after the image of him wrapped up at the event has been placed in innumerable different scenarios. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Sen. Bernie Sanders has reacted to the memes surrounding his attendance of President Joe Biden's inauguration, and has said that the Vermont schoolteacher who made his mittens has been "overwhelmed." Sanders was appearing on NBC's "Late Night with Seth Meyers" when the chat show host couldn't help but bring up the subject of the grumpy Bernie Sanders memes that spawned from his appearance at the inauguration. "I was just sitting there trying to keep warm,...
    ZINEDINE ZIDANE is set to stay as Real Madrid boss - because the club is skint. The Frenchman, whose side were humiliated by a third division team in the Copa Del Rey on Wednesday, looks certain to be replaced at the end of the season. 3Zidane is facing the Madrid axe at the end of the seasonCredit: Reuters 3Things are looking down for club legend since shock cup loss to AlcoyanoCredit: AP:Associated Press But Real, who also do not have any money to sign players, also want to avoid the expense of bringing in a costly management team halfway through the season. Zidane’s second-placed team are four points off city rivals Atletico Madrid in La Liga but they have played two games more. But the big shock was the 2-1 loss in extra-time to Alcoyano in the last 32 of the cup.  Spanish newspaper AS called it 'one of the...
    (CNN)Construction on an enormous trench across Libya, dug by Russian-backed mercenaries Wagner, is raising fears that foreign fighters will not withdraw from the country by Saturday, as a UN-brokered peace deal insists.US officials are also concerned over the long-term goals of the Kremlin ally in the war-torn state. One intelligence official notes that the trench is a sign that Wagner, which, the official said, has its largest global presence in Libya, is "settling in for the long haul."The trench, which extends dozens of kilometers south from the populated coastal areas around Sirte towards the Wagner-controlled stronghold of al-Jufra, can be seen on satellite imagery and is bolstered by a series of elaborate fortifications. CNN has contacted the Russian government for comment and received no response. A simmering conflict has split Libya for months, with the internationally-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in the capital Tripoli, backed by Turkey, in an...
    “We are satisfied because it was a very difficult game.” Marcelino was happy after Athletic’s qualification for the second round of the Cup. A hard-fought qualification against a UD Ibiza that sold its defeat dearly. The lions did not resolve the crossing, via comeback, until the 91st minute. “This has been a very difficult game. We knew how uncomfortable the match was going to cause us because the rival is a good Second B team, the data say they are the best by far. He already scored five goals for Celta ”. The coach of the rojiblanco team stressed that the difficulties already anticipated in the face of this match were added another that he did not have: “The synthetic field and the wind complicate everything much more”. For Marcelino, in any case, efficiency prevailed over everything else and, most importantly, the goal of qualifying against a “very difficult”...
    Despite having implemented some of the strictest measures in the nation to combat the coronavirus, California retains the highest number of cases. In recent weeks, the Golden State has climbed to the number one spot, with nearly 240,000 cases reported in the last week and more than 3 million in total, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Farmworkers wait in the holding area after getting the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at Tudor Ranch in Mecca, Calif., Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021. (AP) The state is averaging 42,000 new virus cases a day and recorded 3,500 virus deaths in the last week alone. On Monday, the death toll topped 30,000 since the pandemic began. The grim milestone comes after California Gov. Gavin Newsom in early December banned outdoor dining despite there being no evidence that it is linked with COVID-19 transmission. Now, health experts...
    From Seagull Poop to Plutonium: The Most Valuable Substances in the World 8 Dash Cams You Should Consider for Fun and Security These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/7 SLIDES © Provided by Eat This, Not That! 6 Best Ways to Stay Hydrated Without Drinking Tons of Water Staying hydrated is a key to health and well-being—but it doesn't take much to mess up the water balance in our bodies. In healthy adults with a normal Body Mass Index (BMI), water accounts for 60% of body weight, and dehydration can occur if as little as 3% of that weight is lost from water depletion. In fact, water can even be considered a critical nutrient since going without it can be fatal within days. Among...
    The city’s largest charter school operator has thrown in the towel on classroom learning for the remainder of the academic year due to the coronavirus, officials announced Thursday. Success Academy — which enrolls roughly 20,000 city kids — will also end the year early in order to move up the resumption of classes next summer. “Like everyone else, we desperately want to be back on campus, but we are prioritizing a consistent, productive learning experience by staying remote now,” said founder and CEO Eva Moskowitz. “By opening early, we can take full advantage of the safer summer months to make up for what we believe will be some degree of learning loss, while also giving teachers and families a break.” The vast majority of Success Academy schools are co-located with traditional public schools and are thus tethered to Department of Education’s dictation on building availability. The network opted to...
    Report: Braves circling market on star catcher J.T. Realmuto Love Your Teddy Coat? This Loungewear Is Just as Warm and Fuzzy 10 Small Changes To Stay On Track With Your Career Goals You don’t have to move mountains to achieve your career goals. Instead, if you commit to small, consistent changes, you can reach the finish line faster than you might think. World-renowned motivational speaker and trainer Jack Canfield says it doesn’t matter how small the actions are, all that matters is that by doing each one, you make progress toward what you want to accomplish. If you do nothing, however, you’ll be in the same place career-wise come the end of the year. © jakkapant turasen / Getty Images/iStockphoto Business man review his resume application on desk, laptop computer, job seeker. Read More: Looking To Change Careers Due to COVID-19? You’re Not Alone Load Error To get you started,...
    Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer traveled to President Biden’s inauguration in the nation’s capital after telling residents in her state to stay home for months, including over the holidays, due to the pandemic. “I am honored to attend the inauguration of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris and ready to begin working closely with each of them to fight this virus, save lives and put the country back on track,” Whitmer said in a press release ahead of Wednesday’s inauguration. However, Whitmer has enacted some of the strictest coronavirus measures in the country in her state and has “generally discouraged Michiganders from traveling and attending gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic." "Certainly, she will adhere to all COVID-19 safety precautions as it relates to travel and while she's there," Whitmer spokeswoman Tiffany Brown said. The mayor of Washington, D.C., Muriel Bowser, even warned against people traveling...
    Reuters January 21, 2021 0 Comments Facebook Inc said on Thursday it was referring its decision to indefinitely suspend the accounts of former U.S. President Donald Trump to its independent content oversight board. Trump will remain suspended while the board, a recently created body that can overrule the company’s decisions on content, reviews the decision. The social media company blocked Trump’s access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts following the storming of the U.S. Capitol by the former president’s supporters earlier this month. It said at the time the suspension would last at least until the end of Trump’s presidential term and perhaps indefinitely. Trump’s term expired on Wednesday when Joe Biden was sworn in as president. Twitter Inc has suspended Trump permanently. “We believe our decision was necessary and right. Given its significance, we think it is important for the board to review it and reach an independent...
    A ruffled Boris Johnson squirmed when asked about whether Joe Biden is 'woke' and insisted there is 'nothing wrong' with being right-on as he prepares to speak to the new US President on Zoom as early as today. The Prime Minister was visibly uncomfortable and dodged the question about America's left-wing successor to Donald Trump hours after his inauguration in Washington yesterday.   Sky News reporter Sam Coates asked whether he considered Mr Biden to be 'woke' – a US term originally used to describe those concerned about social and racial injustice but now also increasingly aligned with political correctness. The flustered PM replied there was 'nothing wrong with being woke' – but said he would always stand up to those wanting to tear down statues of historical figures like Churchill. He said: 'What I know is that he's a firm believer in the transatlantic alliance and that's a great thing....
    A POLICE chief's daughter has been caught flouting Covid rules at a 40-person university party - despite her dad's pleas to the public to stay at home. Amy Slattery, 19, was seen at an illegal party with other students at Leeds Beckett University - with no face masks or social distancing in sight. ???? Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 5Amy Slattery, 19, was caught at an illegal party breaking Covid rules 5Amy's dad, Andy Slattery, is Cumbria's Assistant Chief Constable Credit: Cumbria Police Despite her father, Cumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable Andy Slattery, being at the forefront of Covid clampdowns - the 19-year-old raved at the boozy party on Saturday night. The police chief has not yet commented on his daughter's actions. Footage of Amy and her pals at the illegal party, thought to be held in one of the university's halls...
    Scott Peterson’s sister tells Dr. Oz about the inappropriate behavior she witnessed from her brother when he stayed at her home after Laci’s disappearance.     Watch THE DR. OZ SHOW, weekdays at 3 p.m. on CBS 62. Related
    LUCY Fallon has well and truly moved on from her star making role on Coronation Street as she fronts a new lesbian drama. The former Bethany Platt actress, 25, will front a new drama for Audible based on Naomi Booth's short story Sour Hall, where she plays a lesbian returning to her family's farm. 8Former Coronation Street star Lucy Fallon stars in Audible's new series Sour HallCredit: Amazon Sour Hall is a six part audio adaptation of the short story which was recorded using a groundbreaking 360-degree sound technique, and designed to be listened to with headphones. Recorded on location in Yorkshire, the story follows George (Fallon) who moves back to her family's farm with her girlfriend Ash, played by Doctor Who's Pearl Mackie. The couple decided to move back to the farm together to escape something terrible that happened to them, but things only seem to get worse for them. Ash...
    KATIE Price has opened up about the "crisis" that meant disabled son Harvey had to go to a residential college. The 42-year-old star said the 18-year-old would smash up the cars that came to take him away and even attacked drivers. 7Katie Price opened up about looking after son Harvey on Radio 4 todayCredit: BBC Harvey was born with the rare disorder septo-optic dysplasia, which affects brain function, hormones and vision, plus autism. Speaking on Radio 4's Women's Hour today, Katie said: "The crisis point was the point that my windows were getting smashed every morning because he wanted to be with me. "He knew, because he was big and strong, that he'd smash a window and then the driver wouldn't have him in the car because he’d go and smash the windscreen of the car, or he’d start attacking the driver. "He’d do that because he knew if he...
    GENEVA (AP) — The Biden administration has taken quick steps to keep the United States in the World Health Organization and reinforce financial and staffing support for it — part of his ambition to launch a full-throttle effort to fight the COVID-19 pandemic in partnership with the world. Biden, just hours after his inauguration Wednesday, made good on a campaign pledge and revoked a Trump administration order that would have pulled the U.S. out of the U.N. health agency this summer. Early Thursday, his top medical adviser on the pandemic, Dr. Anthony Fauci, was dispatched to show new U.S. support for WHO. Here’s a look at the U.N. health agency and its handling of the pandemic: WHAT IS WHO? Established in 1948, the Geneva-based agency brings together 194 U.N. members under the founding principle that health is a human right. Today, it counts over 7,000 staffers working...
    THE term "woke" has been thrown around as a way to describe someone as aware, but it is also sometimes used as an insult. But the term is not a new trend, and has been used for a number of years now. So what does woke mean? 5 Woke is often used to mean someone is aware of social injusticesCredit: Getty Images What does 'woke' mean? According to the Oxford English Dictionary "woke" is defined as: "Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice." "By the mid-20th century," says the OED, "woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being 'aware' or 'well informed' in a political or cultural sense." The Urban Dictionary adds: "Being woke means being aware… knowing what’s going on in the community (related to racism and social injustice)." To summarise: woke means a person is consciously awake. The term of African American...
    A FAMILY celebrated their son’s sixth birthday by transforming part of their home into their favourite hotel. Like many other families in the UK, the Pedlars were missing their regular birthday celebrations due to lockdown rules. 5Little Noah and his sister Heidi celebrated his sixth birthday with a Premier Inn themed celebrationCredit: SWNS To do something a bit different, they decided to recreate a Premier Inn at their property - to the delight of birthday boy Noah and his sister Heidi, nine. They were inspired by their frequent stays at the Premier Inns in Haymarket and Lewin's Mead in Bristol when Noah receives treatment at Bristol Children’s hospital for Spina Bifida. The youngster, from Barnstaple, Devon, has had to shield due to being high risk and has been advised by the government to stay at home. Leading up to Noah’s sixth birthday he was starting to miss his holiday trips to...
    SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – It’s now been five days of armed troops on the streets of Sacramento with national guard soldiers guarding the capitol, state, and federal buildings. The armed forces showed a larger presence than protestors on Inauguration Day. “It’s an important lesson that you can never be too prepared,” said Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg. Necessary steps according to Steinberg to protect the capitol and those who live in its city from possible violence. “For these several days especially given what happened in Washington DC on the 6th of January, I do think it was appropriate and the precautions were appropriate,” explained Steinberg. Enhanced law enforcement only came against non-violent crowds Wednesday. “The juggling act is evaluating your intelligence, looking at how big of a response you want to have and then deciding, it wasn’t that really big of a response so we are going to start pairing this down...
    As Biden addressed the world, an unknown man in uniform stood watch over his son Beau’s grave Key moments from the inauguration of President Joe Biden These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/6 SLIDES © Roman Samborskyi / Shutterstock.com 4 Ways to Stay Energized and Engaged When Working Remotely This story originally appeared on FlexJobs.com. More flexibility, no commute, and the ability to live where you want — the benefits of remote work can be truly life-changing for those looking for a better work-life balance. But working at home has its downsides, too. When your “commute” only involves walking from your bedroom to your workspace, and your lunch “break” is a quick rummage in the refrigerator, the days can start to feel monotonous. And if you’re...
    Shake it off: The ultimate Taylor Swift playlist 26 Car-Buying Tips for Women The Buzzer: Canucks survive Tyler Toffoli hat trick; Golden Knights stay hot © Getty Images Three Stars 1. Bo Horvat Instead of Oilers – Maple Leafs being the high-scoring Canadian clash of Wednesday night, Canucks – Canadiens took the cake. The Canucks ended up winning this one 6-5 via a shootout. That shootout stands as the difference-maker between the first star and second star of Wednesday. Bo Horvat scored two goals and one assist during regulation, while making a nice defensive play during a hectic overtime period. Horvat also beat Carey Price during the shootout to help the Canucks eke out the extra point. In a game like this, it’s not surprising that there were other strong choices for Vancouver. For one thing, J.T. Miller continues to assert himself as he’s back in the Vancouver lineup....
    The program, launched during the Trump administration, proposed to return asylum seekers to the neighboring country | 01/20/2021 | ionicons-v5-c20: 10 | . | Washington.- The Administration of the President of U.S, Joe biden, announced this Wednesday that it will suspend registrations in the program as of tomorrow « Stay in Mexico« , which allowed the Government of his predecessor, Donald trump, return to the neighboring country applicants for asylum, and clarified that it will maintain the restrictions at the border. « The DHS (acronym in English of the Department of Homeland Security) announces the suspension of new registrations in the Migrant Protection Protocols program (MPP, in English) », as that initiative that Trump implemented in January 2019 is also known, said the agency in charge of security, immigration and borders in a statement. The note detailed that as of January 21, DHS « will stop adding individuals to the program. » « All...
    SILVERTHORNE, Colo, (CBS4)- The pandemic hasn’t changed the cost of a family ski vacation, but it has created financial strain for many. It’s why a new boutique-style hostel in Summit County could be a perfect solution. (credit: The Pad Hostel) “We have a motto that’s kind of, spend the money on the activities that brought you here, not the bed that you’re sleeping in,” said Rob Baer. Rob and his wife, Lynne, are the owners, operators and developers of The Pad in Silverthorne. It’s a unique design utilizes storage containers for some of the rooms, and, when complete, it will have a combination of community living along with private, luxury suites. “We have roughly 75 bunk beds and 11 different sizes of dormitory rooms, and then beyond that, we have micro rooms, small private hotel rooms, as well as regular deluxe private hotel rooms with balconies. We also have one-...
    Outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo offered a piece of advice to his replacement in the Biden administration, Secretary of State-nominee Tony Blinken, on Newsmax TV: "Stay on your priorities." Pompeo shared some words of wisdom for his successor on "National Report." "My advice to everyone who gets the enormous privilege that I have had to serve America and defend our Constitution is to focus on the things that matter most," he said. "Stay on your priorities. Remember why it is that youre there." He said Blinken should always remember he is there to "serve the American people" and to "support and defend the Constitution." Blinken, who served as deputy national security adviser and deputy secretary of state under the Obama administration, appeared before senators during a committee hearing Tuesday night. Pompeo told Newsmax TV, anyone who enters into government service should stay focused on that and not allow any...
    Outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the country should be focused on things that matter to the "ordinary, working people" of the U.S. rather than "insider Washington stuff," discussing the possibility of the Senate conducting an impeachment trial against Donald Trump. Pompeo told Newsmax TVs "National Report," he has mostly avoided commenting on domestic political affairs while serving in his role, but when asked about the possible forthcoming impeachment trial, he said it is "time for the country to move on." "Its time for us to continue all the good work we have done," he said, highlighting the work Trump did to protect the economy and national security. He said those are the things that matter most to American people over politics. Important: See Newsmax TV now carried in 70 million cable homes, on DirecTV Ch. 349, Dish Network Ch. 216, Xfinity Ch. 1115, Spectrum, U-verse Ch. 1220, FiOS...
    United States Conference of Catholic Bishops president José H. Gomez warned Americans in a Wednesday statement that “we cannot stay silent” on President Joe Biden’s pro-abortion stances.  “As Pope Francis teaches, we cannot stay silent when nearly a million unborn lives are being cast aside in our country year after year through abortion,” Gomez said.  Gomez’s statement had allegedly been hotly debated and the Vatican Secretariat of State reportedly intervened before it could be released Wednesday morning. It was not released until after Pope Francis’s message to Biden was made public.  United States Conference of Catholic Bishops president José H. Gomez warned Americans in a statement Wednesday that “we cannot stay silent” on President Joe Biden’s pro-abortion stances. Gomez, who is also the archbishop of Los Angeles, emphasized in a lengthy statement that the Catholic Church neither participates in partisan politics nor identifies with a particular political party....
    THIS was the month Manchester United were ready to let go of Paul Pogba. The financial implications of the pandemic probably blocked any big money move. Nobody could afford an asking price north of £100million. 3Paul Pogba is proving his worth to Man Utd's title challengeCredit: AP:Associated Press So Pogba and his irritating agent Mino Raiola realised he would have to stay put. All this time Manchester United manager Ole Solskjaer has stayed calm and patient. His predecessor Jose Mourinho called the French World Cup Winner out for his poor club performances. He was right. What he did for France on their way to winning the World Cup was nothing like the poor performances he was putting in for United - not so now. Solskjaer knew that they still had a player who could turn this club’s fortunes around. So he handled questions of Pogba’s future calmly. He talked about...
    A Michigan café is defying the state’s strict lockdown orders in a battle to keep their business alive. Café Rosetta was started in 2013 by Amy Heikkinen, a single mother who was looking for work. Heikkinen told the Daily Caller that the café lost 40% of its revenue when the first lockdowns went into effect. Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer implemented restrictions in November that shut down indoor dining. At that point, “We looked at our books and were already in pretty rough shape,” Heikkinen told the Caller. “So we figured well, we either close down now or later. And here we are. Still open.” (RELATED: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer Extends Partial Lockdown In Michigan) Heikkinen is in the middle of a legal battle challenging a ruling from a circuit court ordering her to close her doors. Read about Café Rosetta owner Amy Heikkinen’s fight for survival in today’s @WSJ: https://t.co/Ws5me0kagx...
    THIS is the moment cops found a Covidiot hiding in a car boot as they fined six pals for breaking lockdown. Footage shows police officers finding the brazen flouter during a 320-mile trip. 2A baffled police found the sixth lockdown-flouter hidden in the boot of the car 2The group were 160 miles away from home when they were caught North Yorkshire Police officers stopped the vehicle near Northallerton last Friday after discovering it had no MOT or tax. They spoke to five men in the motor, an Audi, before asking to see inside the boot. One officer can be heard asking: "What is in the back here, owt or nowt?" The man replies: "Nothing." 'JUMP OUT MY FRIEND' However, upon opening the boot the bemused copper discovers a man lying down in the confined space. He can be heard saying: "Oh, hello, jump out my friend." The officers discovered...
    The phenomenon ‘Woman’ continues its meteoric trajectory on Antena 3. The network made the decision to add one more broadcast day a week. That is, to the usual broadcasts on Mondays and Tuesdays, a third broadcast will be added on Wednesdays. This third broadcast will begin this Wednesday, January 20. The network will broadcast the first part of chapter 43, after the second part of chapter 42 issued on Tuesday, which left viewers breathless. After discovering that her husband was alive, Bahar will be even more confused. From this moment on, she must choose who she stays with: Sarp, her husband and father of her two children, or Arif, the person with whom she had given herself a second chance at life. Yeliz’s new Sarp reveal leads to a new high-voltage face-off between Bahar and Sirin ???? Thus begins the chapter of #Woman. Tonight, at 10:45 p.m., on Antena 3...
    Neither Homeland Security nor the FBI, both agencies in charge of spearheading the special security event in Washington, D.C., on Inauguration Day, immediately made announcements Wednesday after Biden was sworn in outside the U.S. Capitol regarding how long a heightened militarized presence would remain in the downtown area now that the ceremony has ended. An official with the Department of Defense declined to comment on the matter, referring Fox News to Homeland Security or the FBI to disclose information about lowering the security presence.   DC INAUGURATION SECURITY AT CAPITOL INCLUDES NATIONAL GUARD MEDICS TRAINED IN 'BATTLEFIELD TRAUMA,' EXPLOSIVES  More than 25,000 National Guard members from all 50 states, three territories, and Washington, D.C., were supporting federal and district authorities at the 59th presidential inauguration Wednesday, according to the latest figures released by the National Guard Bureau.  Homeland Security was working with all of its 200 partners, including National Guard...
    The nation’s capital is a militarized zone with barriers erected, roads closed, businesses shuttered and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has ordered people to watch the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on Wednesday from home while she is at the Capitol to celebrate in person. News of the hypocrisy is not easy to find, but the Washington Post did mention the fact in a story entitled “From a median on Pennsylvania Avenue. D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser will welcome visitors soon — but not now.”  In fact, the story focuses on Bowser’s stay-at-home order and briefly mentions the mayor’s plan to violate her own order: Downtown D.C. has become so difficult to navigate that Mayor Muriel E. Bowser held her last pre-inauguration news conference Tuesday standing on a median in the middle of a busy road, many blocks from the secure perimeter around the U.S. Capitol and much of downtown....
    Jacques Percebois is professor emeritus at the University of Montpellier (master’s in Economics and Energy Law). He also teaches at the École des Mines de Paris and at theIFP-Énergies Nouvelles (IFPEN). Founder of CREDEN (Center for Research in Economics and Energy Law), he is the author of several books on energies, and has just published The energy told through some tragic destinies (Open Campus Editions). La Tribune – You have chosen an original approach to tell the story of energy and its changes over time. What is he? Jacques Percebois – I have indeed chosen to give a vision of the evolution of the great movements of energy in history through illustrious characters having as a common point having had a tragic destiny, and that personally I find endearing, even if we could find others. Some were murdered, others died young or still others committed suicide … Some are...
    The head of the European border guard agency, Fabrice Leggeri, has indicated that he wants to stay in his post, according to his spokesperson, while the board of directors of Frontex meets online Wednesday to discuss accusations of illegal refoulements migrants in the Aegean Sea. “Mr. (Fabrice) Leggeri has no intention of resigning and remains determined to lead the agency in these difficult times,” said a spokesperson for Frontex. “The board of directors of Frontex, which represents the border authorities of the member states, has raised no objections against its management,” Krzysztof Borowski told .. His resignation was demanded by several MEPs after the agency was singled out in October in an investigation by several media, including German magazine Spiegel, accusing him of being involved with the Greek coast guard in incidents refoulement of boats of asylum seekers from Greece to Turkey. Such actions prevent asylum seekers from claiming...
    DENVER (CBS4)- Denver’s Capitol Hill residents and businesses are bracing for the unknown following reports of possible armed protests at all 50 state capitols around the U.S. “I’m getting old, and I’ve seen a lot of horrible things, and living in Capitol Hill is probably the worst,” said Todd Reed. (credit: CBS) After months of living in the middle of protests, some Capitol Hill residents say the unrest has taken a toll. “We walk the dog around in this area, so we kind of got caught up in the protests, we were not prepared, and our dogs are afraid of pops now,” said Shannon Paul. “That was a very triggering situation for anyone who lives in this area.” Colorado State Patrol is responsible for Capitol security. They’re hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. “Have your voices heard, that’s part of what being an American is all about,...
    LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – A group of nurses held a public demonstration demanding a hospital set to close for an unknown amount of time stay open in Los Angeles during a surge in COVID-19 cases that is overwhelming the local healthcare system. Olympia Medical Center in Los Angeles was recently purchased by the University of California, Los Angeles from Alecto Healthcare. As of midnight March 31, the facility said it will suspend all patient care services, which include six licensed coronary care beds, six intensive care beds, 192 general acute care beds, and in- and outpatient surgical services. The hospital will also no longer offer physical therapy, respiratory care services, or wound care. The closure of Olympia Medical Center will result in the layoffs of approximately 450 full-time and part-time employees, according to the facility. “The idea of closing a hospital in Los Angeles and the middle of this pandemic seems...
    NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- Just days after officially launching a campaign for New York City mayor, Andrew Yang is self-isolating after a member of his campaign tested positive for COVID-19.Yang has tested negative and is not experiencing any symptoms.However, he is following New York COVID-19 guidelines and will campaign remotely for the next eight days.He will not resume in-person events until he receives a negative PCR test after that period.His campaign released the following statement:"We've begun the contact tracing process to notify anyone who may have been in close contact with the individual who tested positive. Our safety protocols require staffers who participate in in-person campaign activities get tested on a weekly basis. As always, we urge everyone to stay safe, wear a mask, and stay up to date with all the latest public health and COVID-related news at CDC.gov."WATCH | 1-on-1 with Andrew Yang: Where he stands on...
    On the night of Tuesday, January 19, the eighth edition of ‘MasterChef Junior’ celebrated its grand finale on La 1 de Televisión Española. A gala that concluded with a final duel between Aurora and Nico, after both contestants achieved victory in two tests, against their teammates Henar and Javier. In fact, The first experienced some other mishap during cooking: she cut herself during the preparation of her dishes and even burned her hand, something that caused him to end up collapsing during the second test, in which he had to defend his pass to the final duel against his teammates Javier and Nico. Henar breaks down in tears in the final of ‘MasterChef Junior’ after burning himself The applicant was in the middle of cooking, when she took one of her saucepans without a cloth, which caused her hand to burn and was immediately taken care of by the team....
    On Tuesday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “America Reports,” House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) declined to say whether or not he supports Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s declaration that China is committing genocide against the Uighurs. Clyburn said, “I try to stay out of these foreign affairs matters. I have not made that a particular endeavor of mine here in the Congress. I listen to these things, and I usually reserve comment…I will today as well.” He added, “I have not studied it. I don’t react to headlines. I tend to see exactly what leads to these headlines. You know, what’s got us in so much trouble in this country today is soundbites, people reacting to soundbites, and then when you look at them, you see that that’s not what the substance is. So, I’ll have to see what the substance of it is.” Clyburn further stated, “I’m...
    TODAY will see a Presidential inauguration like no other.   To avoid any repeat of the pro-Trump violence earlier this month, twenty-five thousand national guards have been drafted into Washington DC.  4One thing Biden could do from the start is to respond to Trump more gracefully than Trump has responded to himCredit: Getty Images - Getty In a typical act of graceless-ness, the outgoing President will boycott his successor’s swearing-in.  Opinion polls show that a majority of Trump voters still do not accept the result of November’s election. People often talk about the ‘divided’ nature of American politics, but the truth is this has never been worse.  The country is now divided into two camps armed not just with different sets of opinions but with different sets of facts.  And they are also actually armed, of course. So Joe Biden better mean what he says when he talks about unifying the...
    SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The COVID-19 pandemic is having a major impact across the world and also in cities across Northern California. The latest number of confirmed cases in the U.S. can be found at the CDC's 2019 Novel Coronavirus in the U.S. page. (The CDC updates the webpage on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.)Join anchor Kristen Sze for ABC7's daily interactive newscast about the novel coronavirus outbreak in the Bay Area and other hot topics. You can check here to stream the show Monday-Friday at 3 p.m. GET HELP: Resources and information about COVID-19 CA REOPENING TIERS: Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under Newsom's new 4-tier system COVID-19 VACCINE: Find out where you are in line LATEST LOCAL CASES: Updated number of COVID-19 cases, deaths in San Francisco Bay Area Here are the latest developments on the respiratory illness in the U.S.: Jan. 19, 20211:30 p.m.California...
    NYPD commissioner defends police response at MLK march US Army soldier allegedly attempted to help plan attack on soldiers abroad and 9/11 Memorial These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft The Highest Paying Cash Back Card Has Hit The Market Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/11 SLIDES © Geber86 / Getty Images Even if everything else seems to be spinning out of control in this new year, you can still try to take charge of your finances. According to Fidelity Investments’ annual Financial Resolutions Study, the top financial resolution of respondents for 2021 is to save more money. Unfortunately, more than 2/3 of Americans experienced a financial setback in 2020. And while 45% of respondents said they cut...
    House Majority Whip James Clyburn, D-S.C., declined Tuesday to take a stance on whether China is committing genocide against ethnic Uighur Muslims in the northwestern province of Xinjiang, telling "America Reports" that "I try to stay out of these foreign affairs matters." "I have not made that a particular endeavor of mine here in the Congress," Clyburn told co-host Sandra Smith. "I listen to these things and I usually reserve comment when they are bordering on international issues, and I will today as well." Earlier Tuesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that he had determined the Beijing government "has committed genocide against the predominantly Muslim Uighurs and other ethnic and religious minority groups in Xinjiang. "I believe this genocide is ongoing, and that we are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy Uighurs by the Chinese [Communist] party-state," Pompeo said in a statement. "The governing authorities of the second most economically, militarily...
    Willie Mack III to play Genesis Invitational on Charlie Sifford exemption Ones to Watch: Paris Men’s Fashion Week Fall 2021 These $19k SUVs Will Make You Trade in Your Car Ad Microsoft The Highest Paying Cash Back Card Has Hit The Market Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/11 SLIDES © Prostock-Studio / Getty Images/iStockphoto Planning for retirement is by necessity a game of projections. The idea is to save as much as you can and make prudent investments so that you can comfortably ride off into the sunset. However, if 2020 taught us anything, it’s that life is unpredictable and even the best-laid retirement plans can get tripped up by surprise circumstances. Read More: Planning To Retire in 2021? Here’s What You Need To...
    National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases The new SARS-CoV-2 variant’s increased transmissibility is believed to come from a change in the spike protein, visible here in yellow under an electron microscope. A fast-spreading variant of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 has been found in at least 20 states, and people are wondering: How do I protect myself now? We saw what the new variant, known as B.1.1.7, can do as it spread quickly through southeastern England in December, causing case numbers to spike and triggering stricter lockdown measures. The new variant has been estimated to be 50% more easily transmitted than common variants, though it appears to affect people’s health in the same way. The increased transmissibility is believed to arise from a change in the virus’s spike protein that can allow the virus to more easily enter cells. These and other studies on the new...
    Loading the player... Wilber Portillo, an 18-year-old young man in Denver, died after contracting COVID-19 for what his family and friends say was a second time.  Portillo’s cousin and his girlfriend assert that Portillo tested positive for the virus in early October and again in mid-November just two days before he died.  Wilber Portillo contracted COVID-19 the first week of October, and after he quarantined and recovered, believed he had immunity. Within a month, he was sick again. (GoFundMe) He reportedly went to the doctor on Nov. 18, where he was told that he had a “strong infection” in his lungs. That night, he went to sleep, he and never woke up.  According to a local report, Portillo contracted COVID-19 the first week of October, and after he quarantined and recovered, believed he had immunity. His girlfriend, Andrea Ferrel, maintained that he still practiced social distancing.  However, within a month, he...
    Some of the world's biggest tennis stars are finding ways to stay match fit ahead of the Australian Open - in spite of many of them being quarantined in their hotel rooms following a Covid outbreak ahead of the grand slam. While a handful of tennis pros including Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka and Rafael Nadal are enjoying less strict restrictions, the majority of players hoping to compete in the tournament have been confined to four walls - with many of them holed up at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne. Those players in strict isolation - 72 at the last count - have been sharing their inventive approach to keeping fit without access to the usual gyms and training courts including smashing balls at mattresses and curtains and creating tiny running tracks in their rooms.    Scroll down for video  US star Coco Gauff strikes balls against curtains and pillows while...
    KIDS are set to be hit by a postcode lottery for schools reopening, the deputy chief medical officer admitted yesterday. Dr Jenny Harries said schools look set to stay shut in some parts of the country even after lockdown 3 is lifted - as revealed in The Sun yesterday. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 3Some schools may stay shut after lockdown is liftedCredit: Alamy 3Dr Jenny Harries said there may need to be a regional approach when re-opening schoolsCredit: PA:Press Association And she refused to deny that schools will stay shut nationally until Easter, saying it is impossible to put a “fixed date” on the return. Her comments pile yet more misery on kids and parents, who will be hit by a year of massively disrupted education and home-schooling. Dr Harries told the education select committee “I think it's likely that we...
    Rhode Island, Duquesne meet in conference play Surprising facts about the Secret Service Home Improvement Stock Volatility: What Does It Mean? © Provided by Millionacres Home Improvement Stock Volatility: What Does It Mean? In the early days of COVID-19 lockdowns, many home improvement companies, from Pool Corporation (NASDAQ: POOL) to Home Depot (NYSE: HD), saw their stock climb. People were determined to make the most of the homes where they were confined, increasing their living space by making outdoor improvements. But the share prices for major outdoor living product companies, including Pool, Azek (NYSE: AZEK) and Trex (NYSE: TREX), have begun to fluctuate noticeably in recent months -- no longer riding the steady "stay-home stock" tailwind they were in during the first six months of the pandemic.What does this volatility indicate?Conceivably, the jagged rises and drops in stock prices could correlate with ever-changing, unpredictable changes in COVID-19 community rules...
    Nazifa Mahbobi worked for years Afghanistan's capital as a journalist with Radio Free Europe. She fled her country last month after repeated warnings from the national intelligence agency that insurgents were plotting to assassinate her.  She only made the difficult decision to leave after a would-be assassin, disguised as vaccination worker, made it into her home. "The angel of death made it to my apartment doorsteps," Mahbobi told CBS News. "I thought I was dying gradually from the inside when the threats turned out to be serious." Afghan officials have confirmed to CBS News that a terror cell was established jointly by the Taliban and the ISIS branch in the country and tasked with disguising themselves as social workers, including vaccine administrators, to assassinate journalists in Kabul. Family members and relatives take part in the funeral procession of Afghan journalist Rahmatullah Nekzad, in the Khoja Omari district of...
    ROME (AP) — Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte is facing a second round of voting Tuesday to determine if he can hold onto power after a junior coalition partner pulled his party’s ministers from the government to protest Conte’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic. Conte on Monday won what amounted to a confidence vote in the lower Chamber of Deputies, securing a 321-to-259 victory in favor of his government with 27 abstentions, including from the defecting Italia Viva (Italy Alive) party of ex-Premier Matteo Renzi. Conte went before the Senate on Tuesday to urge continued backing, but support in the upper chamber for his coalition government headed by the 5-Star Movement and Democratic Party is slimmer. Even if Conte survives the vote, his already fragile coalition will be weakened. The opposition center-right is demanding an early election, but that option is considered the least likely outcome of the political crisis,...
    VIDEO2:5702:57U.S.-China tech war has already been going on for years, says professorSquawk Box Asia SINGAPORE — China's investment deal with the European Union could pave the way for Beijing's "dual circulation" strategy of being self-reliant in technology while still remaining a part of the global supply chain, a professor told CNBC. Last year, the Chinese government came out with a batch of policy terms to bolster its economy, putting them under a vague umbrella term of "dual circulation." The phrase refers broadly to two circles of economic activity — internal and external — with greater emphasis than before on business at home. "Dual circulation is such an important point in the middle of this China-U.S. tech war," said Winston Ma, an adjunct professor of law at New York University. The two superpowers continue to fight for technological dominance and superiority. Reuters recently reported that in its final days, the Trump...
    ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — The likelihood of Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll staying in Buffalo for at least more season has increased after he was passed over in filling the Los Angeles Chargers coaching job, two people with direct knowledge of Daboll’s plans told The Associated Press. The people spoke to The AP over the past two days on the condition of anonymity because Daboll declined to discuss his future during his weekly video conference call on Monday. One person said Daboll isn’t expected to consider the NFL’s remaining vacancies, in Detroit, Philadelphia and Houston, and will now place his sole focus on preparing the Bills to face Kansas City in the AFC championship game on Sunday. The second person said Daboll has no interviews scheduled for the coaching openings. The person said that while it’s more likely Daboll will return for a fourth season in Buffalo, nothing is...
    With less than 48 hours left in his presidency, President Trump announced late Monday he’s lifting COVID-19-related travel restrictions he placed on foreign nationals coming from much of Europe and Brazil. Travel restrictions will continue for most coming from China and Iran. The restrictions would be lifted as of January 26, after President-elect Joe Biden comes into office, and Biden spokeswoman Jen Psaki tweeted Monday that the new administration does not intend to lift the travel conditions on January 26. “With the pandemic worsening, and more contagious variants emerging around the world, this is not the time to be lifting restrictions on international travel,” Psaki wrote. Mr. Trump cited coordination with U.S. officials and transparency as the justification for lifting travel restrictions on Europe and Brazil. The president’s proclamation said that “unrestricted entry into the United States of persons who have been physically present in the Schengen Area, the United...
    A BRITISH pilot who survived a record 243 days in hospital with Covid punched the air with joy after being discharged. Nicholas Synnott, 59, was rushed to hospital last March in Texas after falling ill with the deadly bug in Houston. ⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates 5Pilot Nicholas Synnott who fought Covid for 243 days punchest the air as he leaves hospital in Houston, TexasCredit: UT Health The British Airways pilot suffered respiratory failure and was placed on a ventilator as well as a heart and lung machine, His wife, Nicola, 54, spent every day at his hospital bedside and he was finally discharged just before Christmas. The average Covid hospital stay is three to five days, but Nicholas, from Betchworth, Surrey, spent eight months at  UT Health and Memorial Hermann Hospital. Nicholas has said he hopes Derek Draper, 52 -...