Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 - 16:10:58
14 results - (0.000 seconds)

Canelo Alvarez trilogy:

latest news at page 1:
1
    GENNADY GOLOVKIN says he still as the 'secret' to beat Canelo Alvarez after revealing his terms for a trilogy bout. Golovkin in 2017 was unfortunate to walk away with only a draw in their initial fight. 4Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin drew in 2017Credit: AFP or licensors 4Gennady Golovkin was beaten in his rematch with Canelo AlvarezCredit: Getty Images - Getty And a year later, Canelo emerged with a rematch victory after another middleweight classic, which again divided opinions. Since then, the Mexican superstar has looked close to unstoppable, becoming a four-division champion and undisputed at super-middleweight. No one since GGG has taken Canelo to the brink of defeat and in need of favourable scoring. And the Kazakh legend still believes he has the remedy to finally get one over on his great rival, but can only reveal it in the ring. In an exclusive interview with SunSport, Golovkin says: “Of course there is a secret. "But it’s not the kind of secret you talk about, that’s the secret you demonstrate.  Most read...
    EDDIE HEARN said Canelo Alvarez's 'biggest money fight' is a trilogy bout against bitter rival Gennady Golovkin. Canelo recently knocked out American Caleb Plant to add the IBF title which was missing from his super-middleweight collection and was guaranteed £30million. 3Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez drew in 2017Credit: AP:Associated Press 3Canelo Alvarez beat Gennady Golovkin in their 2018 rematchCredit: Getty Now as undisputed champion, talk has turned to what could be next for the Mexican superstar, who has won titles in FOUR divisions. But promoter Hearn believes it is old ground which brings Canelo in the most money. He told iFL TV: "I think the GGG fight is going to be such a big fight, and there’s going to be an announcement about him very soon. "He’s got a big unification fight coming up. The GGG verses Canelo fight is a massive fight and probably the biggest money fight out there for Canelo. "But he’s got enough money. It’s not just about who pays the most money, and it’s got to be a fight that motivates him." Canelo, 31, was fortunate...
    EDDIE HEARN revealed Canelo Alvarez could fight light-heavyweight Dmitry Bivol next or Gennady Golovkin in a trilogy bout. Canelo recently knocked out American Caleb Plant to add the IBF title which was missing from his super-middleweight collection. 2Canelo Alvarez beats Gennady Golovkin in their 2018 rematchCredit: Getty Images - Getty 2WBA light-heavyweight champion Dmitry BivolCredit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing Now as undisputed champion, talk has turned to what could be next for the Mexican superstar, who has won titles in FOUR divisions. Canelo, 31, is also a free agent and returned to Showtime pay-per-view to beat Plant, 29, having fought on DAZN for his six prior bouts. Three of them were on a short-term deal with Hearn, who will now be one of several offering his services to promote Alvarez's return next year. He told iFL TV: “We’re going to go to him and say, ‘Here are our three or four options.’ "PBC is going to say, ‘Here are our three or four options,’ and somebody else is probably going to put three or...
    CANELO ALVAREZ delivered a stunning 11th-round KO of Caleb Plant at the weekend - with talk instantly of 'who's next?' The Mexican became the first ever undisputed super-middleweight champion and re-affirmed his position as the pound-for-pound best in the world. 7Canelo Alvarez became the first ever undisputed super-middleweight championCredit: Getty 7Canelo delivered a stunning 11th-round KO of Caleb Plant in Las VegasCredit: AFP Canelo is now a four-weight world champion - meaning the span is wide as to who he could fight next. His only ever defeat came in 2013 against the legendary Floyd Mayweather - Canelo was very much a rookie at the time. Since then the 31-year-old has blasted out all most of the opposition, including a clutch of gallant Brits along the way. Here, SunSport checks out five potential opponents for the Mexican sensation. Gennadiy Golovkin Boxing fans will be keen for Canelo to complete a trilogy against Gennadiy Golovkin - especially as their two fights were extremely contentious. Canelo was lucky to get a draw in their first clash in 2017, with US-based judges blasted for...
    POUND-FOR-POUND king Canelo Alvarez has offered Deontay Wilder some words of wisdom following his brutal loss to Tyson Fury. The American suffered an 11th-round KO loss to the WBC heavyweight champ last weekend in a thrilling Las Vegas trilogy fight. 4Deontay Wilder turned in a heroic performance in his Las Vegas trilogy fight with Tyson FuryCredit: POLARIS 4But the American ended up suffering a brutal 11th round KO loss to The Gypsy KingCredit: Getty 4And pound-for-pound king Canelo reckons he could benefit from improved condition and head movementCredit: REX After scoring two knockdowns in the fourth round, Wilder, 35, proceeded to take an ungodly amount of punishment from the Gypsy King. And unified super-middleweight king Canelo reckons The Bronze Bomber could benefit from improving his conditioning and working on his head movement. During an appearance on The Last Stand Podcast, the Mexican said: "Great fight, great fight. "I think Wilder needs more condition, more moves. "He doesn’t know how to move the head. It is difficult when you don’t have that condition and you don’t know how to move....
    GENNADY GOLOVKIN could be set for a trilogy fight against Canelo Alvarez should the Mexican fail to agree a bout with Caleb Plant. The WBA, WBO and WBC super-middleweight king has been keen to get it on with IBF champion Plant over an undisputed contest later this year. 3Canelo Alvarez could face Gennady Golovkin for a third time if he fails to secure a bout against Caleb PlantCredit: Getty Images - Getty 3Mexican star Canelo won his rematch against Golovkin in 2018 following their draw the previous yearCredit: Getty Images - Getty A September date in Las Vegas has been mooted, though it has been reported that negotiations have hit a snag. According to The Athletic's Lance Pugmire, DAZN Boxing reached out to Golovkin's camp about a third meeting against Canelo. The pair drew in their first contest in September 2017, with many believing that the Kazakhstan ace, 39, should have been awarded the victory. Golovkin then suffered the first defeat of his professional career at the hands of Canelo a year later, though fans and pundits argued a draw...
    CANELO ALVAREZ is 'solely focused' on becoming undisputed super-middleweight champion in a blow to Gennady Golovkin. The rivals had a pair of thrillers at middleweight, with Canelo winning the rematch in 2018 after a controversial draw a year earlier. 3Canelo is 'solely focused' on becoming undisputed super-middleweight championCredit: USA TODAY Sports Since then, the Mexican has become a four-division champion, most recently winning unified titles at 168lb. He faces Avni Yildirim in a WBC mandatory defence on Saturday but already has his sights set on fellow champions Billy Joe Saunders and Caleb Plant. Eddie Hearn - who also promotes GGG - admitted Canelo will not stop until he adds the WBO and IBF titles to his collections. Hearn told DAZN: “I think Canelo has made it clear that he wants to become the undisputed champion at 168. “The Golovkin fight, of course, it’s there for me. It’s one of the best fights in boxing. "When I go back to Canelo being his own boss, he’s really focused, and when he sets his mind...
    CANELO ALVAREZ insists he could ‘do some serious damage’ to fierce rival Gennady Golovkin if they meet in a trilogy fight. The two men have shared the ring twice in 2017 and 2018. 3Canelo Alvarez insists he would inflict ‘serious damage’ on Gennady Golovkin if they met for a third timeCredit: Getty The Mexican (54-1-2, 36 KOs) eventually claimed a win after a controversial draw he felt he should have won in their first bout. Now Canelo, 30, insists he no longer looks at his 38-year-old rival in the same light after those meetings. And as fans clamour to see a third and final showdown between the pair, four-weight world champ believes there would only be one brutal outcome should the Kazakhstani climb back into the ring with him. Canelo, who beat England’s Callum Smith via unanimous decision last month, told Ring Magazine: “I feel like I’m at my peak. “If it happens a third time, I feel so good that I could most likely knock him out and do some serious damage.” Golovkin (41-1-1, 36 KOs) handed mandatory challenger...
    Canelo Alvarez returned with a bang on December 19 and beat Callum Smith to ascend to the pinnacle of the super-middleweight division. Following the fight, the WBA, WBC, and The Ring super-middleweight monarch charted out plans to remain at the weight and unify the belts. The P4P king took a huge step in this direction as he vacated the WBA middleweight title. The decision to vacate the 160-pound belt has cemented his plans to stay at the super-middleweight division for a while. Following Alvarez’s decision, Ryota Murata of Japan is the regular WBA champion at 160 pounds, and Chris Eubank Jr. is the WBA interim champion at the same division. Talking to Boxing Scene, Saul’s manager and trainer Eddy Reynoso shed light on this astounding move. He said, “He is 168 now, it is his prime weight, It is where he feels strongest and we are not giving away anything in weight anymore at middleweight.” Besides signaling his intent for 2021, Alvarez’s move has freed up the division. Hence, there can be a new face who emerges as the face...
    Will they or won’t they? Talk of a trilogy fight between Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin resurfaced (though, to be clear, it never really went away) after both recorded impressive victories.  The day after long-time rival Golovkin had dominated against Kamil Szeremeta to defend his IBF middleweight title for a record 21st time, Canelo demonstrated his undoubted skills to defeat the much-taller Callum Smith on points up at super-middleweight.  Unsurprisingly, they were asked about facing each other in the aftermath. There was a split-decision draw between them in September 2017, followed a year later by a contentious Canelo win on points.  A third episode seemed an absolute certainty at one stage, but does it still make sense now? As we come towards the conclusion of an unprecedented year amid a global health pandemic, it seems the ideal time to weigh up the pros and cons for two of the biggest names in boxing.  A third fight MUST happen Canelo: The Mexican came out on top in the previous meeting, but that majority verdict will always leave a shred of doubt for some. As is so often the case when a bout goes the distance, the outcome is so subjective. All three judges’...
    GENNADY GOLOVKIN 'wants another crack at Canelo Alvarez' in his next fight, promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed. Canelo's 2018 win against GGG is the only blemish on the Kazakh's 43-bout career, which came a year after their contentious draw. 3Gennady Golovkin 'wants another crack at Canelo Alvarez'Credit: USA TODAY Sports Having been unfortunate not to emerge the victor in both thrillers, according to several, Golovkin is keen on one more shot at revenge. But if he is unable to lure his great rival into a trilogy bout, WBO champion Demetrius Andrade, 32, and Jaime Munguia, 24, are alternatives. Hearn said: "I think he wants to fight Canelo Alvarez for the third time. "We saw two tremendous fights first time up, he believes he should have won those fights. "And I think he wants another crack at Canelo Alvarez. "I think there's some tremendous fights out there for him at 160lb. Demetrius Andrade, who's here tonight, it's a great unification matchup. "Jaime Munguia would be a great fight for DAZN as well. But that's the fight he's chasing, he...
    Gennadiy Golovkin said he is open to fighting anyone after making history in his dominant victory over Kamil Szeremeta. Golovkin set the record for most title defenses by a middleweight in boxing history — 21 — with his seventh-round TKO of mandatory challenger Szeremeta. It was Golovkin’s first fight since October 2019, but the Kazakh star (41-1-1) was in control from the outset in Hollywood, Fla., and live on DAZN on Friday. He floored the previously unbeaten Szeremeta four times en route to victory. As fans call for a third fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, the IBF and IBO champion was asked about his future plans. “I’m open for anybody,” Golovkin, who lost to Alvarez in September 2018, told DAZN. Alvarez is due to face Callum Smith on Saturday. “Best opponent for me.  MORE: Canelo ambitious in making return vs. Smith “We will wait for tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is a great event. The best will win. I’m open.” Golovkin added: “Trust me, guys. We [will] bring the best fight for next time.” “I feel my jab,” he continued. “I feel my...
    GENNADY GOLOVKIN is 'not willing to chase' a trilogy with Canelo Alvarez - with Chris Eubank Jr and Billy Joe Saunders other alternatives. Golovkin is two years removed from his first ever defeat, which came on points to his arch rival Canelo. 6Gennady Golovkin during his 2018 defeat to Canelo Alvarez Credit: Getty Images - Getty It followed 12 months after Alvarez walked away with a contentious draw in their first meeting. But despite several feeling GGG was unfortunate not to have his hand raised on both occasions, the Kazakh will not focus all his efforts on another rematch. His trainer Jonathan Banks told SunSport: "It's not a priority. "G just wants to fight and he wants to continue fighting for titles and please the fans. That's really what it boils down to. "That's the bottom line and if anyone wants to step up he's willing to accept, but he's not willing to chase anybody." Canelo's 2018 triumph meant he dethroned Golovkin as middleweight ruler. But since then, the Mexican, 30, has stepped...
    CANELO ALVAREZ is in line to face Callum Smith in his next fight before moving on to a trilogy bout with Gennady Golovkin. The Mexican superstar, 29, was due to challenge WBO super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders, 30, this summer until the coronavirus pandemic KO'd the clash. 4Canelo Alvarez is due to face Callum Smith in his next fight 4Smith is in line to defend his WBA super-middleweight title against Canelo Canelo has since remained in the gym as he targeted a return to the ring in September. Saunders ruled himself out of headliner, citing an inability to train, sparking a host of contenders putting their name into the Canelo sweepstake. John Ryder, 32, Jason Quigley, 28 and Sergiy Derevyanchenko, 34 were among those considered. But WBA super-middleweight champion Smith has now emerged as the frontrunner, according to The Athletic. It is claimed the unbeaten 30-year-old has been offered £4million to defend his title against Canelo. But Smith - whose brother Liam was beaten by Alvarez in 2016 - is said to be...
1