Wednesday, Dec 01, 2021 - 17:02:30
70 results - (0.006 seconds)

New Year s Six:

latest news at page 1:
12
    Confederate statue near site of violent Charlottesville rally gets removed Jobs that could grow during the pandemic and recession Thiem, Zverev battle to become first new champion in six years By Amy Tennery © Reuters/Danielle Parhizkaran Tennis: US OPEN NEW YORK (Reuters) - Austria's Dominic Thiem and Germany's Alexander Zverev will vie for the U.S. Open title on Sunday in a final that will crown a new men's Grand Slam singles champion for the first time in six years. Second-seed Thiem has lost three previous Grand Slam finals -- twice to Rafa Nadal at the French Open and once to world number one Novak Djokovic in Australia -- while Zverev had never previously been beyond the last four at a major. © Reuters/Danielle Parhizkaran Tennis: US OPEN With Djokovic, Nadal and Roger Federer, the sport's dominant trio, all absent from Flushing Meadows' final weekend this year, tennis will have a new Grand Slam champion for the first time since Marin Cilic beat Kei Nishikori to clinch the U.S. Open title in 2014. © Reuters/Danielle Parhizkaran Tennis:...
    MILAN (AP) — Zlatan Ibrahimović is back in Italy and ready to sign a new contract with AC Milan. “Finally everything is in place and finally I can return to where I feel at home,” Ibrahimović said upon his arrival at Milan’s Linate airport late Saturday. The 38-year-old Ibrahimović is expected to sign a one-season deal worth 7 million euros ($8.3 million). Ibrahimović began his second stint with Milan in January on a six-month contract and helped turn the Rossoneri’s season around with 10 goals in 18 Serie A matches. Seven-time European champion Milan finished sixth in the Italian league and earned a Europa League spot. “As I’ve always said, I’m not here to be a mascot. I’m here to bring results and to help the team, the coach and the squad return to where Milan should be,” Ibrahimović said in a video on Milan’s website. “We had a great last six months but we haven’t won anything,” he added. “This year I’ve got the chance to be here from the start so we’ve got to continue like we were,...
    5-year-old boy shot and killed in front of his sisters Funds raised for statue of English footballs black trailblazer Angelina Jolies new move in 4-year Brad Pitt divorce case is stall tactic: Report Is Angelina Jolie trying to hold up her ongoing divorce case with Brad Pitt — which has already dragged on for almost four years — because things aren't going her way? © Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP/Shutterstock Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt That's what a source close to the legal proceedings is claiming in light of the news that the actress-humanitarian has requested to disqualify the private judge handling their divorce case. On Aug. 10, Angelina filed to get Judge John W. Ouderkirk — the private judge she and Brad hired to oversee their legal split as well as child custody and money issues, in order to maintain more privacy regarding personal and financial information — taken off their case. She alleges he's not been "forthcoming enough" about other cases he's been hired to work on that have ties to one of Brad's lawyers, Anne C. Kiley. RELATED: Brad and Angelina's...
    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle openly discussed their wedding a year after meeting, according to the authors of new biography Finding Freedom. Authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand claim the Duke and Duchess of Sussex consulted with palace aides about when the best time for a ceremony would be in June 2017. The couple reportedly met for the first time in London in June 2016, and quickly became 'obsessed' with each other, the hotly anticipated book claims.  Although he was yet to propose, Harry, 35, reportedly had a ring 'in the works' from as early as May 2017, having sourced the 'conflict-free' diamond while on a secret scouting mission in Africa with a close friend. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle openly discussed their wedding a year after meeting, according to the authors of new biography Finding Freedom. Pictured in November 2017 after announcing their engagement 'By June 2017, [Meghan] and Harry weren't talking about their wedding as a possibility so much as an absolute,' the authors write. 'They even went so far as to bring the Palace into the...
    At least 12 terminally ill New Jersey residents have ended their own lives under the state’s new aid-in-dying law which went into effect one year ago. The government released new data Friday offering the first official summary of how the Medical Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act has played out in the state. The report shows from August 1, 2019, when the law went into effect, through December 31, 12 people ended their lives under the provisions of the law. They were between the ages of 50 and 93. Six were men and six were women, according to the Department of Health report. Seven of them had cancer, the state’s second most common cause of death after heart disease, and three had Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or ALS. Nine of them had a bachelor’s degree or higher. Ten of the 12 died at home, one passed at a nursing home and one in another person’s home, health officials said. Eleven were white and one was Asian. Twelve terminally ill New Jersey residents ended their own lives under the...
    MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Murders in Mexico edged up to a new record high in the first half of 2020, despite easing during the last few months, preliminary government data showed on Monday. Mexico has been blighted by gang violence for many years, with successive governments failing to tackle the problem. According to the latest data available, more than 34,600 murders were registered last year, a record. President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador promised to reduce the violence with a new strategy after taking power in December 2018, but homicides have continued to tick up. In the first six months of 2020, there were 17,439 murders, a 1.7% increase on the same period last year, according to figures presented by Security Minister Alfonso Durazo at a regular news conference with Lopez Obrador. While murders fell in June by 2.2% compared with the previous month, the third consecutively monthly drop, Durazo conceded the figures remained "very high in absolute terms". Murders of women because of their gender, categorized as femicides, increased more swiftly during the first six months, rising by 9.2% from...
    At least four people were shot in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx Sunday night into Monday morning, according to police. An innocent bystander was shot in the buttocks at Nostrand and Atlantic avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant just before 7:30 a.m. Monday, authorities said. The woman simply told authorities she heard shots and felt pain, cops said. She suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Police sources say she wasn’t the intended target and fled into a Best Western hotel after she was shot. About four hours earlier, a man was shot in the back while he was driving on the Grand Central Parkway after a night at the Rose Hookah Lounge on Steinway Street near 23rd Road in Long Island City, cops said. Police say a vehicle got onto the parkway next to him and an occupant fired rounds at his vehicle, according to police. It’s unclear whether he was followed from the hookah lounge. He was taken to NYC Health + Hospitals/Woodhull in stable condition. see also Woman fatally shot after asking man to stop setting off fireworks A Brooklyn woman was...
    Nick Cannon’s eponymous new talk show will no longer be premiering in September 2020. Dembar-Mercury, the producer and distributor of the syndicated talk show, announced the news on Friday. “The ‘Nick Cannon’ talk show will not debut this year. After conversations with Nick, we do believe that his public comments don’t reflect his true feelings and his apology is heartfelt and sincere,” a spokesman for the company said in a statement to Page Six. “We want to continue the healing process as he meets with leaders of the Jewish community and engages in a dialogue with our distribution partners to hear their views.” The company said it’s hoping “Nick Cannon” will be able to air next year. “We are standing by Nick in our hope that by fall 2021 he will be able to use his extraordinary talent and platform to entertain, enlighten and unite his audience on the ‘Nick Cannon’ talk show. “Lionsgate and Debmar-Mercury condemn anti-Semitism, racism and hate speech,” the statement concluded. “It runs counter to everything we stand for.” The announcement follows ViacomCBS’ decision to cut...
    Bonnier, the 216-year-old Swedish publishing giant that owns Field & Stream, Popular Science and Saveur, has changed the CEO of its American operation as it nears a deal to sell off its US-based titles. Eric Zinczenko, a 14-year veteran of Bonnier Corp who has spent the past four years as CEO of the US unit, is exiting and will be replaced by chief operating officer David Ritchie. After years of cutbacks, the company in May decided to toss in the towel on America, and officially put the entire operation on the block and is apparently close to a deal. “We received a dozen initial bids and after concluding the management meetings with these prospective buyers, we are currently evaluating the merits of five strong final bids,” said a spokeswoman. She added that “all potential buyers have media/digital backgrounds,” but would not disclose their identities. Field & Stream is one of the best-known magazines owned by Bonnier.WireImage For Bonnier, still privately owned by the Bonnier family, the timing could not have been worse as it expanded beyond its European base to...
    Demi Moore is dark-haired no more. The actress, 47, took to Instagram Wednesday to introduce her “Brave New World” character to fans — along with a new blond look and short haircut. “Meet Linda. #BraveNewWorld is streaming now on @peacocktv!,” Moore captioned the photo of her onscreen alter ego, whose bleached bob is a far cry from the star’s usual long, lustrous brunette hair. In the comments, some Moore’s friends, family and fans admitted they could hardly recognize her. “Tbh you blonde is a whole new truth I didn’t know I needed,” wrote her daughter Tallulah Willis, who also commented, “WE STANNNNN LINDA.” “Ohhhh she’s BLONDE! Werk!,” added celebrity stylist Brad Goreski. While her “Brave New World” role may have called for her to go blond (most likely with a wig), Moore is one of many to switch up their hair in recent months; Dua Lipa, Sarah Hyland and Ruby Rose have all experimented with new hues amid the coronavirus pandemic. Demi MooreWireImage Filed under beauty ,  celebrity hair ,  demi moore ,  7/16/20 Share this article: Share this: Click...
    Naya Rivera's body has been recovered from the California lake where she vanished six days ago.  Naya Rivera sent a photo of her four-year-old son Josey to a family member 90 minutes before he was found on their pontoon boat that shows the cove they'd sailed to 
    The 17-year-old boy rescued from the waters off Perth Amboy, New Jersey, on Thursday night has reportedly died. The teen, identified by family members to PIX 11 as Johnny Vasquez, was pulled from Raritan Bay about 5 p.m. after voluntarily going into the waters near the Perth Amboy Yacht Club about three hours earlier, authorities said. He was taken to Hackensack Medical Center in cardiac arrest, but could not be saved. “Johnny was a special boy,” his family said in a statement to the news station. “He was a young man with a heart of gold and a whole world in front of him.” The teen’s family said Johnny was autistic and suffered from epilepsy. Filed under drownings ,  new jersey ,  teens ,  7/9/20 Share this article: Share this: Facebook Twitter Flipboard WhatsApp Email Copy Read Next NYC man accused of sex trafficking teen girls out of hotel... Read Next NYC man accused of sex trafficking teen girls out of hotel... Share Selection Trending Now on NYPost.com...
    A 17-year-old boy was rescued from the waters in Perth Amboy, New Jersey Thursday evening after an hours-long search — and taken to the hospital in critical condition, officials said. The teen headed into the waters of the Arthur Kill voluntarily around 2 p.m. near the Perth Amboy Yacht Club, and was recovered around 5:10 p.m. after a search involving the US Coast Guard, New York and Perth Amboy police departments, police said. CPR was performed on the boy at the scene before he was transported to Hackensack Medical Center unconscious and in cardiac arrest, police said. A 30-year-old had earlier tried to rescue the teen as he struggled to get to shore but was unsuccessful, according to a US Coast Guard spokesman. Police were then called and the agencies responded around 2:13 p.m. with multiple boats and helicopters. Filed under coast guard ,  drownings ,  new jersey ,  nypd ,  rescues ,  7/9/20 Share this article: Share this: Facebook Twitter Flipboard WhatsApp Email Copy Read Next 7-year-old boy found unresponsive in Long...
    Like many musicians, Willie Nelson would love to be on the road again. But at 87, the tireless country legend isn’t letting the coronavirus pandemic keep him down. In fact, he’ll be having a busy 4th of July weekend: First he releases his 70th solo studio album, “First Rose of Spring,” on Friday. Then on Saturday, Nelson’s annual “4th of July Picnic” will carry on as a hybrid live-stream/concert-film event in the virtual countryside. Now how’s that for being a nimble octogenarian? And, as if anyone could say no to Willie, he’s drawn a strong lineup: Among those scheduled to show full Nelson love are Sheryl Crow, Ziggy Marley, Margo Price, Steve Earle, Kurt Vile and, of course, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, which is fronted by Wille’s 31-year-old son. Tickets for the digital event — which range from $35 before Saturday to $45 the day of the event — can be purchased at WilliePicnic.com, where the festivities will stream beginning at 4:30 p.m. The picnic was originally scheduled to bring fans to Nelson’s Luck, Texas, ranch on...
    Three states — New Jersey, Colorado and New Hampshire — have legalized betting on the Nathan’s Hot Dog-Eating Contest for the first time in the event’s history, ESPN reports. “ESPN had already affirmed us as a sport in the early 2000s,” Rich Shea, president of Major League Eating, which organizes the event, told the outlet. “But, with legal betting, we are really now as legitimate as the NFL and the NBA.” The 2020 eat-off will air live Saturday at noon on ESPN, but spectators will be barred from watching in person due to the coronavirus. The event will move from its usual Coney Island venue on the corner of Surf and Stillwell avenues to a private indoor site at the Brooklyn beach. Joey Chestnut will be vying for his 13th title this year in the Fourth of July tradition and is considered the heavy favorite. DraftKings sportsbook lists Chestnut at -1,250 odds against a field listed at +650. Chestnut won the contest last year after scarfing down 71 dogs and buns. He currently holds the record for eating 74 hot...
    Valorant’s been out for a few weeks now, but Riot isn’t wasting any time in looking toward the future. On Monday, the developer released a video update with executive producer Anna Donlon letting fans know what’s on the horizon for the tactical shooter. While Donlon offered plenty of updates on the game, the biggest news was about Riot’s longterm plans for releasing new Agents and maps. According to Donlon, the current plan is to release a new Agent with each Act. Valorant’s Acts are a bit like seasons in other games, and will last around two months each. This means that there should be around six new Agents added to Valorant every year. Valorant’s calendar will also be separated into Episodes. Each Episode will last about six months, which makes sense considering that there are three Acts per Episode. Episodes will provide Riot with a chance to make larger changes to Valorant, according to Donlon, including the addition of new mechanics or additional maps. While Episodes are where the largest changes to the game are likely to come...
    An 8-year-old girl and two adults were found dead on Monday afternoon in a swimming pool at a New Jersey home, cops said. “This is a devastating day for our entire community. It is too early to determine exactly what happened,” East Brunswick Police Chief Frank Losacco said. In addition to the child, the other victims were identified as the girl’s 32-year-old mother and her 62-year-old uncle. “A neighbor heard screaming and called 911,” said police Lt. Frank Sutter during a press conference outside the family home. When emergency responders arrived, they found the three victims submerged in about 4ft of water in an above ground oval shape pool. “All the deceased were taken out of the pool, CPR was done. They were all pronounced in the backyard.” Lt. Sutter told the Post a relative was inside the family home at the time and is being interviewed, but it is not clear what role anyone else played in the drowning. The family moved into the home one month ago, a source told the Post. The home was surrounded by police, ambulances,...
    A 35-year-old man was shot to death Saturday morning in Brooklyn, police said. The unidentified victim was shot once in the neck outside 334 Milford St. in East New York at 11:09 a.m. by an unknown assailant, authorities said. Paramedics rushed the man to Brookdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 11:27 a.m., police said. Prior to the killing, at least 17 people were injured in a dozen unrelated shootings across the city overnight. Filed under brooklyn ,  crime ,  murder ,  shootings ,  6/20/20 Share this article: Share this:FacebookTwitter Flipboard WhatsAppEmailCopy Read Next Mets and Yankees to hold spring training in NYC, Gov. Cuom... Read Next Mets and Yankees to hold spring training in NYC, Gov. Cuom... Share Selection Trending Now on NYPost.com This story has been shared 182,048 times. 182,048 Muhammad Ali Jr.: Dad would have hated 'racist' Black Lives Matter This story has been shared 132,277 times. 132,277 1 killed, another injured as bullets fly inside Seattle's cop-free zone This story has been shared...
    The NYPD is looking for an unhinged creep who randomly punched a 73-year-old woman in the face on a Bronx subway platform on Wednesday. The victim was standing on the southbound platform of the 175th Street subway station when the violent stranger punched her in the side of her face, police said. He then fled down a set of stairs and left the station, police said. No words were exchanged between the two. On Friday night, the NYPD released clear surveillance photos of the suspect in hopes of finding him. Police request that anyone with information about his identity make a confidential call to the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the CrimeStoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM, on Twitter @NYPDTips or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. Filed under assaults ,  nypd ,  subway ,  the bronx ,  6/20/20 Share this article: Share this:FacebookTwitter Flipboard WhatsAppEmailCopy Read Next New Yorkers celebrate Juneteenth in Central Park demonstra... ...
12