Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 13:34:05
291 results - (0.008 seconds)

the lack:

Lack of Playoff Experience for the New York Rangers is an Overblown Factor By: Jim Bay July 24, 2020 Follow ESM On Social Facebook Twitter Youtube Flipboard Instagram ShareTweet0 SharesMuch has and will be written and said about how the lack of playoff experience for the New York Rangers will be a hindrance for them when they start to play on Aug 1. While not exactly “fake news” it is something that makes for good copy to fill pages and the airwaves. The reality is, their experience is less of a factor in this type of playoff. A unique experience for the New York Rangers and everyone else in the playoffs Ask yourself, “when is the last time the NHL conducted a playoff after a four-month break, played at a neutral site, without fans, living in a bubble and having blood tests and/or...
    Amber Tolliver's Liberté is a premium lingerie line that offers bra sizes 32C to 38H. Courtesy of Liberté After being a standard-size model for years, Amber Tolliver began working as a curve model in 2009. That's when she noticed the lack of bra sizes for women with bigger busts, so she decided to launch her own brand.  In 2019, Tolliver founded Liberté — a size-inclusive lingerie brand with bras ranging from 32C to 38H and underwear in sizes XS to 2XL.  Tolliver told Insider that she's working on extending the size range even further.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. After 11 years of working as a professional standard-size model, Amber Tolliver became a curve model, which is when she noticed a lack of bras made in diverse sizes. Tolliver found that in her experience, many brands did not dress curve models in bras that fit them...
    Study indicates that 74% of white adults received the first stimulus check, compared to 69% of white adults and 64% of Hispanics In the event that a second stimulus check, the poorest populations, which include Latinos and African Americans, are more likely to be unpaid. This is warned by a study of Tax Policy Center that indicates income, race and immigration status as the cause of the disparities. The report states that 30% of adults under the age of 65 reported that their families have not received the incentive approved under the CARES law within five months of distribution beginning. The figures also point out that six out of 10 adults (approximately 59%) with incomes at or below 100% of the poverty level said they had received the payments. The study also found that 74% of white adults received the money, compared to 69% of black adults and...
    LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — A new study commissioned by the Los Angeles Unified School District found that low-income, Black and Latino students participated in remote learning last spring at lower rates than more advantaged student populations. Not all students participated in remote learning at the same rates this past spring, a new study found. (CBSLA) The findings confirmed what parent Renee Bailey already knew from experience, that certain segments of the school community lagged behind their more advantaged peers. “Ever since the pandemic, my son has not received any of his contracted services that have been identified in his [Individualized Education Program],” she said. Bailey’s teenage son, who needs specialized education due to his disabilities, is enrolled in an LAUSD school. The study found that among middle and high school students with disabilities, like Bailey’s son, the peak participation rate during remote learning was only about 55%. “It’s just further...
    Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti warned the city was 'on the brink' of another stay-at-home order and admitted that the economy resumed too quickly as cases continue to spike in the coronavirus hot spot. In the same interview on CNN's State of the Union, Garcetti blasted President Trump for a 'lack of national leadership' and giving 'rants in the Rose Garden' instead of enacting a feasible coronavirus response.  'I think we're on the brink of that,' Garcetti said about a potential second city lockodown.  'I think a lot of people don’t understand, mayors often have no control what opens up and doesn’t — that’s either at a state or county level. And I do agree, that those things happened too quickly.' Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti revealed on CNN's State of the Union that the city was 'on the brink' of another stay-at-home order as cases surge in the state RELATED...
    MEGHAN Markle could become the most sought-after public speaker in the world, after her stirring Girl Up speech last week. According to PR expert Mark Borkowski, the Duchess of Sussex, 38, could command six figures per speech, but needs to be aware the interest may “diminish” over time.  ⚠️Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple. 4Meghan Markle could become one of the most sought-after speakers in the world, after her successful Girl Up speech, according to a PR expertCredit: PA:Press Association Speaking to Fabulous, Mark said: “In the short, immediate term she could be the most sought-after speaker in the world.  “She’s very much on the message with Black Lives Matter, the cancel culture and issues related to mental health.  “Brands want to learn from high-profile people, so having someone like that in the room, it can boost publicity and draw delegates. “She has an...
    Getty What are the early signs of coronavirus? (COVID-19) Information from a significant analysis challenge referred to as the COVID Symptom Examine has recognized “six distinct ‘sorts’ of COVID-19, every distinguished by a selected cluster of signs.” A few of them are extra harmful to the affected person than others, in accordance with an article posted on the challenge’s web site. “…The staff discovered that these sorts differed within the severity of the illness and the necessity for respiratory help throughout hospitalisation,” the article reported on July 17, 2020. “The findings have main implications for scientific administration of COVID-19, and will assist medical doctors predict who’s most in danger and more likely to want hospital care in a second wave of coronavirus infections.” The information comes as COVID-19 is spiking in some states all through the US. What’s the COVID Symptom Examine?...
    GOP senators complain to IRS about glitches still preventing people from getting coronavirus payments Report: Colonial Athletic Association to cancel 2020 college football season The Bold Type Producers Vow to Enact Change After Star Calls Out Freeform Dramas Lack of Diversity © Jim Spellman/Getty Images One of the stars of The Bold Type is calling out the show for its lack of diversity behind the scenes. Aisha Dee, who plays Kat Edison on the Freeform dramedy, took to Instagram to share her thoughts. "I am ready to push harder and speak louder for what matters to me: The diversity we see in front of the camera needs to be reflected in the diversity of the creative team behind the camera," she wrote in a lengthy post. Throughout four seasons of the show, Dee writes, she had conversations about issues like workplace politics, white privilege, women's health and gun ownership, and that...
    “The Bold Type” actress Aisha Dee called out Freeform on Instagram on Wednesday for what she said is a lack of diversity behind the camera for the series. Dee, 26, portrays the queer and bi-racial character Kat Edison. Her character often fights for equality for marginalized or underrepresented communities. “The Bold Type” actress said although she came from a mostly white and conservative area in Australia, her character inspired her “to be better.” 'RIVERDALE' SHOWRUNNER APOLOGIZES TO ACTRESS VANESSA MORGAN AFTER DIVERSITY CRITICISM: 'WE WILL DO BETTER' “For the first time in my career, I got to play a character who was centered in her own narrative,” Dee wrote in a statement. “She wasn’t just the white character’s ‘best friend.’ She was empowered and confident, she approached the exploration of her queer identity with an open heart, and was met with nothing but love and acceptance from her friends. Kat...
    The Bold Type star Aisha Dee has spoken out against a lack of diversity on the television series, TVLine reported. In a lengthy Instagram post, Dee explained that she was prepared to “push harder and speak louder” on issues she found important. The biracial Australian actor plays Kat Edison, whose storylines have involved running for her local government, discovering her bisexuality, and becoming romantically involved with a female Muslim artist. Dee noted it took two seasons for the show to hire a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person Of Color) writer, and that there were still no queer Black or Muslim women on the writing staff. However, a source told TVLine that queer women of color had featured on the writing staff from Season 2, and that by the show’s fourth season, eight out of the 10 writers were female. This included three writers who identified as LGBQT+ and five people...
    Aisha Dee stars on "The Bold Type." Amy Sussman/Getty Images "The Bold Type" star Aisha Dee condemned the show's lack of diversity, as well as her character Kat's relationship with a conservative woman, in a new Instagram post.  After talking about her upbringing in a "very white, very conservative" part of Australia, Dee wrote that she was disappointed in the fact that most of the show's writers and crew members were white.  "The diversity we see in front of the camera needs to be reflected in the diversity of the creative team behind the camera," she wrote.  The actress also called out Kat's relationship with a white conservative woman, saying it was "confusing and out of character."  "For a show that frequently uses words like intersectionality... I wonder how its stories may have been elevated had they been told through the lens of people with a more varied...
    The Bold Type star Aisha Dee has called on both the series and its home network, Freeform, to do better when it comes to diversity behind the camera—and expressed disappointment with one of this season’s most controversial storylines. Dee voiced her concerns in a lengthy post on Instagram, which she began by noting the positive effect the series had on her life and career. With this series, she wrote, “I got to play a character who was centered in her own narrative. She wasn’t just the white character’s ‘best friend.’ She was empowered and confident, she approached the exploration of her queer identity with an open heart, and was met with nothing but love and acceptance from her friends.” “I always try to bring up my concerns in a positive and constructive way, conscious of the realities that come with being the only woman of color in the room,” Dee...
    The announcement this week that golfing icon Tiger Woods would be the subject of a two-part HBO documentary series has provoked a backlash in the doc community due to a lack of above-the-line diversity on the project. The “Tiger” series is being co-helmed by Oscar-nominated “City Of Ghosts” and “A Private War” filmmaker Matthew Heineman and the Emmy-nominated Matthew Hamachek. The pair previously collaborated on “Cartel Land.” Alex Gibney is exec producing the show through his Jigsaw Productions, alongside HBO Sports. Heineman announced the project on his Facebook page on July 10, and the post quickly became the stage for a lively debate about the project’s lack of Black talent. Geeta Gandbhir, the Emmy-winning doc filmmaker, was first to make the point, writing, “This is a great project. I said this to Matthew Hamachek as well, and feel compelled to ask you – in the spirit of being anti-racist – why...
    The announcement this week that golfing icon Tiger Woods would be the subject of a two-part HBO documentary series has provoked a backlash in the doc community due to a lack of above-the-line diversity on the project. The “Tiger” series is being co-helmed by Oscar-nominated “City Of Ghosts” and “A Private War” filmmaker Matthew Heineman and the Emmy-nominated Matthew Hamachek. The pair previously collaborated on “Cartel Land.” Alex Gibney is exec producing the show through his Jigsaw Productions, alongside HBO Sports. Heineman announced the project on his Facebook page on July 10, and the post quickly became the stage for a lively debate about the project’s lack of Black talent. Geeta Gandbhir, the Emmy-winning doc filmmaker, was first to make the point, writing, “This is a great project. I said this to Matthew Hamachek as well, and feel compelled to ask you – in the spirit of being anti-racist – why...
    The Yankees’ starting pitching news we’ve so desperately needed By: Alexander Wilson July 16, 2020 Follow ESM On Social Facebook Twitter Youtube Flipboard Instagram ShareTweet0 SharesInjuries here, injuries there, can someone get these out of our hair! That should be New York Yankees‘ strength and conditioning coach, Eric Cressey’s mantra every morning. The Yankees have been dealing with individual injuries across-the-board, not just in the starting pitching rotation. Whether it be Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, or any other positional player, limiting these issues is essential heading into the regular season. When players are getting injured before regular play, it is extremely concerning. Their durability might be compromised due to the lack of reps the past few months, and with a 60-game condensed schedule fit into 65 days, limiting fatigue will be a problem. However, the New York Yankees are slowly getting...
    “The Daring Kind” star Aisha Dee took to Instagram on Wednesday to name out the shortage of variety behind the scenes of the Freeform collection. In her put up, she displays on rising up in a primarily white, conservative space in Australia and the way enjoying her character Kat Edison “pushed [her] to be higher” personally and professionally. “For the primary time in my profession, I received to play a personality who was centered in her personal narrative,” Dee wrote. “She wasn’t simply the white character’s ‘greatest buddy.’ She was empowered and assured, she approached the exploration of her queer id with an open coronary heart, and was met with nothing however love and acceptance from her associates. Kat Edison: unapologetic, outspoken, courageous, the girl I at all times wished I may very well be.” Dee mentioned she took inspiration from her character to talk brazenly and constructively concerning...
    “The Bold Type” star Aisha Dee took to Instagram on Wednesday to call out the lack of diversity behind the scenes of the Freeform series. In her post, she reflects on growing up in a primarily white, conservative area in Australia and how playing her character Kat Edison “pushed [her] to be better” personally and professionally. “For the first time in my career, I got to play a character who was centered in her own narrative,” Dee wrote. “She wasn’t just the white character’s ‘best friend.’ She was empowered and confident, she approached the exploration of her queer identity with an open heart, and was met with nothing but love and acceptance from her friends. Kat Edison: unapologetic, outspoken, brave, the woman I always wished I could be.” Dee said she took inspiration from her character to speak openly and constructively about the show’s lack of diversity behind the camera....
              Live from Music Row Wednesday morning on The Tennessee Star Report with Michael Patrick Leahy – broadcast on Nashville’s Talk Radio 98.3 and 1510 WLAC weekdays from 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. –  host Leahy welcomed the original all-star panelist Crom Carmichael to the studio. At the top of the third hour, Carmichael revealed data showing a gigantic increase in gun sales in the United States, especially among first-time gun owners. He likened the surge to people who live in major metropolitan areas that are not confident they will be protected by police. Leahy: Crom, I’m looking at some very interesting data that you’ve pointed out to me about gun sales in the United States. Carmichael: Yes. When Americans get nervous about their safety sometimes they get nervous about changes in the Second Amendment and gun sales tend to go up. In this case, gun sales...
    After ViacomCBS fired him for making blatantly anti-Semitic/anti-white comments — suggesting that black people are the “true Hebrews” and white people are “true savages’ — Nick Cannon is now demanding full ownership of his MTV show “Wild ‘N Out.” In a lengthy Facebook post published on Wednesday, Cannon said that ViacomCBS fired him without due process or giving him any chance to rectify the situation. “I am deeply saddened in a moment so close to reconciliation that the powers that be, misused an important moment for us to all grow closer together and learn more about one another,” he wrote. “Instead, the moment was stolen and highjacked to make an example of an outspoken black man. I will not be bullied, silenced, or continuously oppressed by any organization, group, or corporation. I am disappointed that Viacom does not understand or respect the power of the black community.” “I also went...
    There are over 25,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Orange County, California. That’s more than 19 U.S. states. It’s more than all of Japan. Twice the count of South Korea. And yet, on Monday evening, the Orange County Board of Education met and, by a 4-1 vote, put forward a plan to reopen schools without requiring masks or enforcing any form of social distancing. That proposal doesn’t just violate the guidelines for school reopening set by the CDC, it goes against the plan put together by the Orange County Department of Education … which is, apparently, a completely different entity. What the board passed is a plan they say was compiled from a “community forum,” and is a perfect illustration of why these decisions can’t be left to individual school boards. Anyone who thinks there’s no district that will put children at risk for purely political reasons, has clearly never met America. What...
    Paying tribute. Lea Michele honored former Glee costars Naya Rivera and Cory Monteith after Rivera was formally declared useless on the seven-year anniversary of the passing of Michele’s real-life love. Michele, 33, returned to social media on Monday, July 13, to put up three black-and-white images of the late stars, following information that Rivera’s physique had been discovered at Lake Piru in California, 5 days after she went lacking. The announcement of Rivera’s loss of life got here seven years after Monteith died of an unintentional overdose of heroin and alcohol. Michele, who dated her costar from 2012 till his loss of life in 2013, honors him yearly on the anniversary of his passing. Within the tribute, the Scream Queens alum — who’s pregnant together with her first little one with Zandy Reich — shared a photograph of Monteith in New York Metropolis and adopted it up with a snap...
    A recent episode of Nick Cannon’s Cannon Class podcast has been making waves for the singer’s racist and anti-Semitic comments, The Daily Caller reported. “When you have a person who has the lack of pigment, the lack of melanin that they know they will be annihilated, therefore they know that however they got the power, they have a lack of compassion, melanin comes with compassion,” Cannon said. The America’s Got Talent star claimed that melanin, a natural skin pigment, is linked to the “soul.” According to Cannon, people who lack melanin lack compression — a claim that has reportedly been debunked by researchers. Cannon referred to notorious anti-semite and National of Islam founder Louis Farrakhan, who recently accused Bill Gates and Anthony Fauci of conspiring to depopulate the Earth using coronavirus vaccinations. “When they were sent to the Mountains of Caucasus, they didn’t have the power of the sun. The...
    “America’s Got Talent” host Nick Cannon delivered a racist and anti-Semitic rant in a June 30 episode of his podcast, “Cannon’s Class.” Cannon hosted rapper Professor Griff, whose record of anti-Semitic comments is well documented, for an interview in which they promoted anti-Semitic conspiracies about Jewish families secretly controlling the world and claimed that black people can’t be anti-Semitic because they’re the real Semitic people. “In order for me to be anti-Semitic, I’d have to be anti-black man, anti-black woman, anti-black people, anti-Africa, anti-all other people,” Griff said. “Because the Semitic people are black people,” Cannon added. Cannon and Griff spoke positively of Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, a notorious anti-Semite, throughout the interview, which has garnered more than 250,000 views on YouTube alone. (RELATED: These Big Name Rappers Are Tight With Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan) “When you have a person who has the lack of pigment, the lack of melanin...
    Madrid, Jul 13 (EFE) .- The mobilizations of Airbus workers against the 1,600 layoffs announced in Spain -722 in defense and 900 in commercial, according to the company- started this Tuesday with assemblies and concentrations in its eight factories: Getafe and Barajas (Madrid), Illescas (Toledo), Albacete, Seville and Cádiz. The aeronautical restructuring plan foresees the abolition of 17,600 jobs worldwide until 2021, of them 2,600 in defense and 15,000 in commercial. According to Efe, the sector manager for Transport Equipment, Electronics and ICT at UGT FICA, Juan Antonio Vázquez, there is “great concern” also about the impact that Airbus plans may have on the auxiliary supply industry, where he calculates that between 15,000 and 20,000 jobs could be lost, as a consequence of the closings due to lack of liquidity and profitability. Convinced that the situation is reversible with an industrial plan based on an increase in state investments, after...
    As coronavirus cases rise around the United States and the world, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pled for global unity. More than six months after the virus was first identified, the virus has continued to spread in many places, including the United States. “My friends, make no mistake: The greatest threat we face now is not the virus itself,” Tedros said on July 9 at a speech in Switzerland.  “Rather, it’s the lack of leadership and solidarity at the global and national levels.” Experts saw the speech as a plea to leaders including President Trump and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who have both downplayed the virus. Bolsonaro announced that he had contracted coronavirus earlier in the week. The United States continues to report record-breaking case numbers, including multiple records broken in a single week. “This is a tragedy that is forcing us to miss many...
    By The Associated Press DICKINSON, N.D. — Metal band Great White has apologized for performing at an outdoor North Dakota concert where the crowd didn’t wear masks despite the ongoing threat of the coronavirus. The band drew criticism on social media after the performance Thursday night as part of the “First on First: Dickinson Summer Nights” concert series in Dickinson, in the southwest of the state. Spin magazine posted video showing the crowd packed in and not wearing face masks. “We have had the luxury of hindsight and we would like to apologize to those who disagreed with our decision to fulfill our contractual agreement. The Promoter and staff were nothing but professional and assured us of the safety precautions,” Great White said in a statement Saturday. Although North Dakota health officials recommend social distancing and wearing masks when possible, there is no legal requirement to do so in the...
    Santiago de Chile, Jul 12 (EFE) .- The Chilean health authorities announced on Sunday 98 new deaths from COVID-19 and it has almost reached a total of 7,000, while the country is advancing in a future plan of unconfinement while implementing new quarantines due to the uneven evolution of the pandemic in different parts of the country. The undersecretary of Health, Paula Daza, explained in the daily press conference from the Palacio de La Moneda, headquarters of the Executive, that the “improvement continues to advance” at the national level despite the contagion in the north of the country. . “We have seen how the number of active cases has decreased in eleven regions of the country (from 17). We have also seen that in the Metropolitan region (to which Santiago belongs), where we had a significant increase in cases, it has decreased by 40 % in the last two weeks,...
    The United States played fast and loose with the health of essential workers during the first months of the coronavirus pandemic, and the push to reopen businesses despite surging COVID-19 infections is no different. Essential workers and advocacy groups that represent them are calling for stronger health and safety protections, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Rep. Ro Khanna have called for an Essential Workers Bill of Rights, and some local governments have increased protections, but businesses—backed, of course, by the Trump administration—are pushing back, even as workers are “on the frontlines like sacrificial lambs,” call center worker Hope Gilmore told NBC News. “Employers are tending to take the position that they're complying with OSHA guidelines, but it's extremely clear that OSHA guidelines are not protecting workers and are toothless," Rebecca Kolins Givan, an associate professor at Rutgers University's School of Management and Labor Relations, said. "The entire reason for having government regulation...
    Reviews of the NBA bubble in Orlando, Florida are mixed after the first few days, but things are likely to improve soon. Instagram NBA players are sharing their thoughts on the "bubble" on Instagram. Some players have been disappointed with the food, while others have been complimentary of the menu so far. Thanks to Instagram, chances are fans will continue to get a surreal look inside the bubble as the weeks go on. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The NBA bubble is officially on. 22 of the league's 30 teams have come together at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida to finish out the 2020 season. It is without a doubt, the most bizarre conclusion to an NBA season in the history of the league, but thanks to the social media feeds of many of the players, fans have been given an impressive...
    The family of an Arizona man who succumbed to the coronavirus late last month after a three-week battle with the illness has published a searing obituary that blamed his death on the 'carelessness' of local politicians and their 'lack of leadership.'  Mark Urquiza, a 65-year-old husband and father from Maryvale, known to his loved ones as 'Black Jack,' lost his life to COVID-19 on June 30.  His wife, Brenda, and daughter, Kristin, could not be by his side in the hospital because of the contagious nature of the illness and were forced to say goodbye to his over FaceTime as he breathed his last, with only an ICU nurse in the room with him.  In a matter of weeks, Mark Urquiza, 65, had gone from a healthy man full of energy to a person on his death bed. Urquiza succumbed to COVID-10 on June 30 (right) Urquiza's...
    Facebook is considering a blackout on political ads on its site in the days leading up the U.S. election in November, it was reported Friday.  According to Bloomberg, the social media giant is discussing a ban on political ads after weeks of criticism for not fact-checking ads from politicians or their campaigns. Anger over the company's inactive stand on hate speech on its platform has resulted in a boycott from more than a thousand of its advertisers.  Civil rights groups have also called Facebook's response 'disappointing'.   Facebook may introduce a ban on political ads in the days before the 2020 election The political ad blackout is still only being discussed and no action has been finalized, Bloomberg adds.  Blackouts on political advertising within days of an election are common in other parts of the world such as the United Kingdom.  The ban is seen as important to those who...
    The New York Police Department has reportedly placed a limit on the number of retirement applications it’s allowing its officers to file, following a meteoric surge of cops quitting the force amid budget cuts and clashes with protesters. In the past week, the number of officers filing for retirement has more than quadrupled on this time last year, with the exodus reportedly causing such a backlog of applications that the department is struggling to meet the demand. Many of the officers hanging up their badges have cited a ‘lack of respect’ from the public amid national protests against police brutality following the death of George Floyd, and a loss of overtime pay following Mayor Bill de Blasio’s $1 billion cut to the department as the reason, the NY Post reported. The NYPD said Wednesday that 179 cops filed for unemployment between June 29 and July 6 – a staggering 411...
    Civil rights attorney Leo Terrell slammed Black Lives Matter and claimed that CNN’s Don Lemon “exposed” the group as a movement that doesn’t care about crime in urban areas. “I want to thank Terry Crews,” Terrell told Fox News’s Sean Hannity this week in reference to an interview that actor Terry Crews gave to Lemon on Monday, which at times appeared contentious. “Black Lives was exposed last night by Don Lemon. … Don Lemon admitted it: They don’t care about crime at all in the cities [like] Chicago or any of these big cities. They don’t care about a police officer being shot and killed.” “Don Lemon said on TV that Black Lives only cares if a police officer is involved in a shooting," Terrell continued. "Watch the video: Black Lives is only concerned about a few individuals, and they don’t care about black lives or that 7-year-old girl...
    Michigan drivers met with startling billboard message: Driving while Black? Racial profiling just ahead Why This Regional Chain Is Secretly the Best Grocery Store in America David Schwimmer Says the Lack of Representation on Friends Felt Wrong David Schwimmer is speaking out about the lack of diversity on Friends, asserting that not enough was done on the sitcom to represent people of all backgrounds. © Dave J Hogan/Getty David Schwimmer In a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight, Schwimmer explained that while he pushed for more diversity on the show, the series could have done more when it came to diversifying its cast. "It felt wrong that there was not enough representation on the show," the actor said. Friends, which has become one of the most popular sitcoms of all time, featured predominantly white characters during its 10-season run. Schwimmer explained that while advocating for diversity on the hit series,...
    Breaking News — Santiago de Chile, Jul 6 . .- In areas of northern Chile with a high altitude above sea level, some infected with COVID-19 are experiencing complications from the so-called “silent hypoxia”, the lack of oxygen in the blood that does not cause apparent symptoms. Due to the lower concentration of oxygen in the air and the high atmospheric pressure, those infected with coronaviruses in cities like the northern Calama, about 2,300 meters above sea level, would suffer differently from “hypoxia”, that is, the lack of oxygen in tissues, the Chilean Health Minister said Monday. Not presenting the classic symptoms, such as the feeling of suffocation or chest pain, patients are not aware of their severe lung injury and once diagnosed require mechanical ventilation “immediately”. Also called “silent pneumonia,” this condition has surprised doctors around the world during the pandemic, as although it is directly related to...
    Presidents become known for their words. Particular phrases seep into public memory and create the signposts of their legacy. George H. W. Bush was marked, for example, by the phrase “read my lips: no new taxes,” perhaps more for the wonky way he said it than for the fact that he didn’t deliver. Richard Nixon famously liked to repeat “let me make one thing perfectly clear,” a phrase that hangs heavily given the irony of its source. Sometimes these phrases are ominous. Lyndon B. Johnson’s legacy is haunted by the time he uttered “we still seek no wider war,” shortly before escalating the conflict in Vietnam. George W. Bush’s administration left us with many disturbing phrases, including “extraordinary rendition,” which Salman Rushdie described as an “ugly phrase that conceals an uglier truth.” Others are cringeworthy, like Bill Clinton’s famously evasive phrase, “that depends on what the meaning of ‘is’ is,” said during the investigation of his...
    Sophia A. McClennen July 6, 2020 10:00PM (UTC) Presidents become known for their words. Particular phrases seep into public memory and create the signposts of their legacy. George H. W. Bush was marked, for example, by the phrase "read my lips: no new taxes," perhaps more for the wonky way he said it than for the fact that he didn't deliver. Richard Nixon famously liked to repeat "let me make one thing perfectly clear," a phrase that hangs heavily given the irony of its source.  Sometimes these phrases are ominous. Lyndon B. Johnson's legacy is haunted by the time he uttered "we still seek no wider war," shortly before escalating the conflict in Vietnam. George W. Bush's administration left us with many disturbing phrases, including "extraordinary rendition," which Salman Rushdie described as an "ugly phrase that conceals an uglier truth." : Others are cringeworthy, like Bill Clinton's famously evasive phrase, "that depends on...
    There's been an uptick in shootings in New York City this summer. Reuters Shootings in New York City claimed the lives of at least 11 people over the weekend, police say.  The weekend follows an especially violent June: 250 people were shot in the first 28 days of the month, according to NYPD stats.  On Monday morning, Mayor Bill De Blasio attributed the spike in violence to what might be the "single worst combination of crises New York City has ever faced," including the court closure and coronavirus.  Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer attributed the spike in violence to the coronavirus shutdown and the recession it's caused. NYPD Chief of Department Terry Monahan said bail reform, anti-police rhetoric, and the release of prisoners from Rikers Island play a role. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A surge in Independence Day weekend shootings, which follows an especially violent...
    Lillard will enter into a superlative contract with the Trail Blazers for the 2021-22 season | Alika Jenner / . The Portland Trail Blazers’ announcement of the contract extension to Damian Lillard caused a stir in mid-2019, as this deal will make the star base one of the highest paid in history. However, many speculate that before ending that agreement, Lillard may ask for a change, this in order to be able to fight for a title, since Portland has fallen short in that objective. According to @NYPost_Berman, if Damian Lillard were to ask for a trade, “it’s believed” the Lakers and Knicks would be his top choices. – Hoop Central (@TheHoopCentral) July 4, 2020 Several rumors suggest that Lillard would agree to be changed but only to two organizations in particular, which would be the Los Angeles Lakers and the New York Knicks. Both teams with very different presents,...
    Frankfurt (Germany), Jul 4 . .- The lack of regulation and supervision of the financial companies has facilitated the dimensions of the deception of the German electronic payments company Wirecard, which some experts compare with that of the US energy company Enron two decades ago. . The Munich Public Prosecutor’s Office accuses its former CEO Markus Braun of falsifying his accounts, of market manipulation and now also of deception. A new case of excessive growth due to speculation, as occurred in the late 1990s of the last century with the dot-com technology bubble of internet companies, which ended with the bankruptcy of many of them and their disappearance. The tech-finance sector, which encompasses artificial intelligence, mobile applications, digital payments, and even cryptocurrencies, has long been driven in the financial world with large investments as a way to increase access to secure services and products. and financial inclusion to all countries....
    ELK GROVE (CBS13) — Summer is going by faster than normal and school is just a couple short months away. School districts in our area are beginning to make plans for what learning will look like for students. In just about a month and a half from now, Florence Markofer Elementary School would normally be bustling with students and teachers, but with coronavirus on the rise once again, there are a lot of questions about what school in Elk Grove will even look like. Parents, teachers, and students from Florence Markofer were selling fireworks Tuesday afternoon to raise money for after-school programs that may not even happen this year. The Elk Grove Unified School District was the first to close its doors in early March after a family tested positive for coronavirus. They expected to reopen the next week, but their doors have remained closed ever since. On Tuesday, the...
    Next1 of 6Prev postUse your ← → (arrows) to browse   LOS ANGELES, CA – JULY 28: Luis Ortiz of Cuba in the ring after defeating Razvan Cojanu of Romania in their heavyweight fight at Staples Center on July 28, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Ortiz won by knockout. (Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images) There is nothing quite like the excitement of a heavyweight championship fight. The buildup is different, the pre-fight buzz is different, and there is a different level of suspense when you watch two big men fight, knowing it can end at any second. That is why the heavyweight champion of the world has always been the baddest man on the planet. For years, heavyweight boxing was perceived as dead because of a lack of talent, or more specifically, a lack of competition. The division was run exclusively by the Klitschko brothers for nearly a decade, and...
    Coronavirus — In one of the strongest pronouncements so far on the health crisis on the part of the country’s Catholic Church, the Archdiocese of Managua protested against the persecution of medical personnel by the Ortega regime, as well as the abandonment of the population before the “great tragedy »of the pandemic of the new Covid-19 coronavirus in Nicaragua. «At this time, as a Church we feel and live with our people this great tragedy: dozens of coffins circulating in our cities, the express burials in the middle of the night, the sirens of ambulances that break the silence at all times, the pain of not being able to pay our love tribute to loved ones who have left us without saying goodbye. This is how the Archdiocese Justice and Peace Commission explained the seriousness of what is happening in the country due to the pandemic. Since officially announcing...
    The coronavirus continued to wreak havoc on the advertising market in May, new data shows. Last month, US advertising revenue plummeted 31 percent with the postponement of big-ticket sporting events dragging down big media companies like Disney, owner of ESPN, according to a new report from StandardMedia Tracker, which tracks media spend. According to the data, media giants Disney and WarnerMedia logged some of the steepest ad declines last month due to a delay in the NBA playoffs, which typically take place in May and is broadcast by Disney’s ABC and ESPN and WarnerMedia’s TNT.  The lack of the playoffs caused WarnerMedia ad revenue to fall by 45.5 percent during the month while Disney saw its ad sales dip by 39.6 percent, the data said. The coronavirus-embattled travel industry slashed its ad spend by a whopping 87 percent, the most in any category, the report said. Automotive ad spend...
    Charles Pulliam-Moore25 minutes ago•Filed to:ANthony MackieANthony MackieThe Falcon and The Winter SoldierMarvel CInematic UniverseRacismDiscriminationracedaveed diggsMarvelMarvel ComicsDisneyCaptain America3SaveAnthony Mackie as Sam Wilson.Image: Marvel Studios Anthony Mackie’s Sam Wilson is set to become one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s key power players in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Disney+’s upcoming series that follows its titular Avengers as they keep fighting the good superhero fight. Sam’s newfound prominence tracks closely with the character’s path to becoming Captain America in Marvel’s comics, but it’s also something that Mackie himself has taken to heart when thinking about what it means to be a lead actor on a project. In a recent conversation with Snowpiercer’s Daveed Diggs about their experiences working in the industry, Mackie described how, while shooting multiple Marvel films, he couldn’t help but notice how the overwhelming majority of the crew working behind the camera were white people. “We have the power...
    Anthony Mackie says that it bothers him that in the seven movies he's done for Marvel, "every single person has been white" behind the camera. Mackie plays The Falcon character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He opened up about Mavel's lack of diversity to Daveed Diggs, the star of TNT's "Snowpiercer," for Variety's "Actors on Actors" series. Mackie went on to say that the only time there's been a Black crew on a Marvel movie was for "Black Panther," which is "more racist than anything else" because Black people are hired for the "Black movie." The actor, who is the star of the upcoming Disney Plus show "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier," says his big push with Marvel going forward is to "hire the best person for the job." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. In a conversation for Variety's "Actors on Actors" series with the star...
    During a remote segment of Variety‘s “Actors on Actors” issue, Marvel star Anthony Mackie chatted with Snowpiercer actor Daveed Diggs about the Black Lives Matter movement and diversity, or lack thereof, in Hollywood. Mackie directly called out Marvel for its lack of diversity behind-the-scenes, particularly in terms of producers. Having appeared in seven Marvel films since 2014, the 41-year-old actor has had plenty of experience working within the massive cinematic universe. According to him, There has been a significant lack of Black producers on the set. His first film in Marvel was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, while his latest movie was Avengers: Endgame. Diggs asked his fellow actor about “the ways” he finds himself “interacting with the moment,” in regards to the Black Lives Matter movement. For the Hamilton star, he noted that he tries to “affect different kinds of representation” and improve things in the jobs he already...
    On Friday’s “PBS NewsHour,” New York Times columnist David Brooks stated that the blame for the gridlock over police reform in Congress lies with the Democrats for failing to compromise and accept a bill that may not have had everything that they wanted, but still would have improved policing. Brooks also praised Sen. Tim Scott’s (R-SC) bill as “a good-faith bill.” Brooks said, “I blame the Democrats, frankly. I think [Tim] Scott, the Republican from South Carolina, who was the Republican sponsor, put together a good-faith bill. It had not everything the Democrats wanted, obviously, but it had some stuff. It had the — making lynching a federal hate crime. It had — against chokeholds, more transparency for police misconduct. And then Scott said, we’re going to let you vote on amendments. And so maybe — and he said that maybe I’d support some of these amendments. And so, he...
    Anthony Mackie is gearing up to play the lead role in the MCU’s Captain America spinoff The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, set to premiere on Disney+ later this year. But despite his promotion from Captain America’s sidekick to the frontline of his own series, Mackie revealed in an interview for Variety with Daveed Diggs that he still feels the MCU is not hiring enough black talent, both in front of and behind the camera. “When The Falcon and the Winter Soldier comes out, I’m the lead. When Snowpiercer comes out, you’re the lead. We have the power and the ability to ask those questions. It really bothered me that I’ve done seven Marvel movies where every producer, every director, every stunt person, every costume designer, every PA, every single person has been white.” RELATED: New The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Set Photos Tease Possible X-Men Villain Introduction...
    Even as #BlackLivesMatter movement continues to gain momentum in the west, studios there are still being questioned for the lack of diversity. When it comes to Marvel, the studio that has helped us relive our childhood, it took 10 years for them to plan a movie with a black superhero in the lead. For the ones who questioned if Black Panther was really a great movie should know that it wasn’t really about its technical aspect. It was also an attempt to appreciate a movie with its all-black star cast and crew. However, Anthony Mackie never approved of it. The Falcon And The Winter Soldier: Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan’s Disney Plus Series’ Prague Shoot Halted Over Coronavirus Scare. While the actor who plays Falcon in MCU was glad to see Boseman carry the weight of an entire movie on his able shoulders, he wasn’t convinced as to why the...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — President Donald Trump picked a fight over violence in Chicago with Gov. JB Pritzker and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot Friday night. President Trump sent a lengthy letter to the two leaders. He singles them out for their “lack of leadership” and how they “fail the people you have sworn to protect.” The president then goes on to offer to help and ends saying, “You continue to put your own political interests ahead of the lives, safety and fortunes of your own citizens.” The mayor responded on twitter saying, “I don’t need leadership lessons from Donald Trump. How about some leadership not steeped in the divide and conquer tactics?” I stand with @GovPritzker in providing for the safety and well-being of our residents. — Mayor Lori Lightfoot (@chicagosmayor) June 27, 2020 Pritzker’s team issued a statement that calls the president a “failure,” the letter a “press stunt,” and...
    CNN’s Jim Sciutto grilled Trump campaign official Marc Lotter about the nation’s record-high Covid-19 cases as well as the lack of mask wearing and social distancing at Trump rallies in a long, fiery segment. Filling in as guest host on Anderson Cooper 360, Sciutto zeroed in on the administration’s public touting of “encouraging news” about the pandemic on Friday, which generated notable pushback since the country hit a new, daily record high of more than 40,000 cases. “How can the vice president and president claim that the U.S. Is beating this virus?” Sciutto pressed. “Well, as you heard from Dr. [Anthony] Fauci and the vice president and Dr. [Deborah] Birx today in 34 states, we are seeing a decrease with the positivity rate and we have a problem in 16 states…” Lotter began. “It’s not going down,” Sciutto broke in, as a show put up a graph of the country’s...
    Famous people whove had COVID-19 Gap stock soars as Kanye touts deal with his fashion brand Bill Simmons addresses New York Times story about the lack of diversity at The Ringer Bill Simmons began the Friday episode of his podcast addressing a recent story published in The New York Times that detailed the increasing internal concern about the lack of diversity at The Ringer, a digital media company he founded in 2016 and sold to Spotify earlier this year. © Don Juan Moore Bill Simmons founded The Ringer in 2016. “I only wanted to say two things,” he said to start the episode titled, “Talking Movies with Don Cheadle and Rob Lowe.” Simmons, a 50-year-old Massachusetts native, acknowledged he knew The Ringer had not done “well enough” with diversifying its staff. When he launched the website four years ago, the founding editors were all white. According to a June 1 Twitter thread by The Ringer...
    The circle of life. Chris Pratt was left heartbroken by the lack of pleasant farm animal Prince Rupert the ram. Celebrity Pets That Have Their Own Social Media Accounts “It’s a solemn day at #StillwaterRanch as Prince Rupert the ram handed away.
    Labor rejected help from officials outside the State Public Employment Service (SEPE) in the harshest moments of chaos in the body for the management of ERTE for lack of laptops. According to sources from those affected and from the SEPE staff, the help of other Administration officials to expedite the processing of the files and avoid delays in the payment of the benefit was denied despite the request for such help in the Royal Decree 11/2020, of March 31. The legal text, in its eighteenth additional provision, regulates the collaboration of other officials in the “areas of a sanitary, socio-sanitary, employment nature, for the protection of vulnerable groups and in those others that require a reinforcement in personnel as a consequence of the situation caused by the covid-19 ». “The provision of the service may be carried out both in person and through non-contact modalities of work, with the prior...
    While Mumbai sure is the city of dreams for everyone, one person who has given up his dream and moved bag and baggage back to his hometown is actor Shardool Kunal Pandit. As demanding as the acting profession is, Shardool could not keep up with it and after contemplating enough, the actor has quit the industry and moved back to his hometown Indore, to be with his parents and to work out on his depressed mental health. However, the actor still has some hope left in Mumbai and might return if he gets a good acting opportunity. Says Shardool himself. Shardul Pandit Reviews Gold Movie: Akshay Kumar Speaks Bengali in Punjabi, Mouni Roy Has Sad Lip Job Says TV Actor. Citing depression, money crunch and lack of work in the industry as major factors for his decision to move back to Indore, Shardool told BT, “In 2012, I quit acting...
    Only three days after his Tulsa rally, President Donald Trump held another MAGA event in a megachurch in Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday, June 23 — and much to the dismay of health experts, most of the attendees were not wearing masks. One of those experts is Dr. Sanjay Gupta, chief medical correspondent for CNN. During a June 24 appearance on CNN’s “New Day,” Gupta was vehemently critical of the president for encouraging a lack of social distancing at a time when the number of new coronavirus infections is on the rise in so many states in the U.S. — including Arizona. Gupta told “New Day” hosts Alisyn Camerota and John Berman, “It’s like a bunch of people being outside in the middle of a hurricane…. We’re being really, really silly. We’re being ridiculous at this point.” Gupta said of Trump’s Phoenix rally, “That’s the worst case scenario, having a large...
    Coronavirus — The Junta de Andalucía has reported the existence of a coronavirus outbreak in Malaga, with up to nine PCR positives at the Immigrant Reception Center Malaga Red Cross. As explained by the Ministry of Health, the number of close contacts under study amounts to 100 people. As reported by the Andalusian Government, for the moment all exit or entrance of users to the center has already been suspended, and the pertinent samples have been taken from all residents and workers after the first positive last Sunday. “Untenable” “The situation is unsustainable.” This is how blunt Red Cross sources are, confirming the arrival of more than 240 illegal immigrants to the Andalusian coast through various boats just this weekend. According to Red Cross and Maritime Salvage data, at least 241 people have come to the Andalusian coasts this Saturday and Sunday. A wave that those who care for...
    UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations chief criticized the total lack of international coordination in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday and warned that the go-it-alone policy of many countries will not defeat the coronavirus. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in an interview with The Associated Press that what needs to be done is to make countries understand that by acting in isolation “they are creating the situation that is getting out of control” — and that global coordination is key. COVID-19 started in China, moved to Europe, then to North America and now to South America, Africa and India, he said, and some people are now talking about second waves coming at any moment. Yet, he said, “there is total lack of coordination among countries in the response to the COVID.” Guterres said it’s important to use that fact “to make countries understand that bringing them together, putting together...
    By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations chief criticized the total lack of international coordination in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic on Tuesday and warned that the go-it-alone policy of many countries will not defeat the coronavirus. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in an interview with The Associated Press that what needs to be done is to make countries understand that by acting in isolation “they are creating the situation that is getting out of control” — and that global coordination is key. COVID-19 started in China, moved to Europe, then to North America and now to South America, Africa and India, he said, and some people are now talking about second waves coming at any moment. Yet, he said, “there is total lack of coordination among countries in the response to the COVID.” Guterres said it’s important to use that fact “to make countries understand...
    Sherri Shepherd, 53, believes that she lost out on a future jobs on Friends after she casually pointed out they show's lack of racial diversity to one of the co-creators. Jawn Murray, a pop culture commentator and best friend of the former host of The View, told Sherri's story about being on of the few black characters on Friends during a discussion with ABC News on Monday night.   Back in January of 1998, Shepherd guest starred as a tour guide at Ross's museum in an episode of the NBC sitcom titled The One With Phoebe's Uterus. Race and pop culture: Sherri Shepherd, 53, believes that she lost out on a future jobs on Friends after she casually pointed out they show's lack of racial diversity to one of the co-creators, according to her friend Jawn Murray  The season four episode features Shepherd in a few scenes with Matt LeBlanc and...
    LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — The family of a Louisiana man who was stabbed over the weekend is calling the assault a hate crime, but police said the evidence doesn't support that. Holden White, 18, was stabbed in the neck and wrists and was in critical condition Monday, Lafayette police spokesperson Sgt. Wayne Griffin told news outlets. Authorities arrested Chance Seneca, 19, Saturday and charged him with attempted second-degree murder. White's family told news outlets that White met Seneca through Grindr, a dating app for gay, bisexual and transexual men. The family said it believes the stabbing was a hate crime targeting White because he was gay and questions authorities’ reasoning for not classifying it as one. Griffin said the stabbing won't be classified as a hate crime because nothing in the case has pointed in that direction. Authorities who responded to a call about 11:45 p.m. Saturday found White suffering...
    Steve Bing, filmmaker and philanthropist and father to Elizabeth Hurley's son Damian, has died at the age of 55.  Bing, whose career in film producing began when he inherited $600 million from his real estate tycoon grandfather, is reported to have taken his own life.  At the time of his death his net worth was estimated to be $590 million.  Details about the Stanford University drop-out's death were revealed by TMZ on Monday. The producer and director died after jumping from the 27th floor of the Studio City neighborhood building where he lived.  Sources told the site that he'd been 'depressed' about being isolated during coronavirus, but it is unclear if that had anything to do with his suicide. Elizabeth Hurley with Steve Bing in Los Angeles. After a brief relationship she had his child Hurley and her son Damian, 18. Court papers in 2018 said Damian had...
    JESSICA Mulroney's husband is surprised by the lack of support amid her racism scandal - as he announces he's stepping back from one of his TV gigs, The Sun can exclusively report. The stylist's wedding show, I Do, Redo, was pulled by Canada's CTV after Jessica was accused of abusing her white privilege, while her 44-year-old husband Ben, son of former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, had been absent from their popular shows, Your Morning and Etalk, since the scandal broke. 6 Ben and Jessica Mulroney married in Montreal in 2008Credit: Getty Images - Getty 6 Jessica Mulroney's husband had been on leave since the scandal brokeCredit: Twitter As he returned to his role on Your Morning on Monday, he announced he will be giving up his co-hosting spot on Etalk, which covered the unfolding drama, to make way for a new, diverse voice. Jessica, famously friends with Meghan Markle,...
    Coronavirus — OKDIARIO has moved to Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez airport on the first business day since the state of alarm was lifted this June 21. The Government announced last week that three controls would be established at airports that tourists will have to pass to access the country and thus monitor a possible outbreak of coronavirus. However, many of the citizens who have been arriving at Terminal 4 this Monday, have told us that these controls are not being carried out “rigorously or effectively”. The first of the controls is a basic information form and location that passengers must fill on board the plane so that the Government can locate them at any time, know where they will be during their stay and check if they have been in contact with any patient in recent weeks. However, several tourists have remarked to OKDIARIO that they have had difficulties in...
    "Married at First Sight" star Jamie Otis is sharing her thoughts on the questions surrounding why the television show's U.S. version lacks same-sex couples in an interview with Fox News. The hit Lifetime series is perhaps one of the most unconventional dating shows of them all, as cast members agree to get legally married upon meeting for the first time. They are then given a number of weeks to figure out whether or not they want to pull the plug or stay together. Back in 2014, Otis tied the knot to her now-husband of six years, Doug Hehner. The series, which also has an Australian version, reportedly introduced its first same-sex couple in 2016 but fans have long questioned why there hasn't been a more varied cast of couples in terms of sexual orientation. 'MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT' STAR MINDY SHIBEN ON WHAT SHE LEARNED FROM DIVORCE TO ZACH JUSTICE: 'I'VE REALIZED...
    MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It’s the 155th anniversary of Juneteenth — but some are just now learning about it. Education experts say there’s a reason why. “If you have an educator that knows history and really understands what occurred during the civil war period you probably did learn about Juneteenth, but it doesn’t mean that your textbook taught you,” said Dr. Kathlene Campbell, Dean of University of St. Thomas’ School of Education “It’s actually one of the saddest things about education is that histories of people who were marginalized and the histories of people of color they’re not required in the standards,” said Nuhu Sims, the coordinator of equity at the Brooklyn Center School district and a PHD candidate at the University of Minnesota. “It really is educators filling in the gaps that our textbooks have because they’ve omitted stories,” Campbell said. Minnesota teachers aren’t required to teach specifically about Juneteenth,...
    In a situation like the current one, where we do not have any precedent that can give us clues on how to combat the crisis that is coming, many economists try to estimate how high the deterioration of an economy that, like the Spanish one, is facing one of the biggest challenges in its history. Estimates could only base their example on past crises that, relative to their historic context, are not valid for the contrast with the current crisis. Furthermore, as reflected in the different analyzes, we are talking about a situation in which we must compute the greater deterioration experienced by the Spanish economy compared to other counterparts in the world. Especially worrying is the blow suffered by the tourism sectorGiven the nature of the crisis, it is being the most affected of the list of sectors that make up our economy. We cannot get carried away by...
    Hey Matthew, this is an early version of this feature and we’re exploring ways to make these types of Tweets accessible to everyone. — Twitter Support (@TwitterSupport) June 17, 2020 “This is an early version of this feature and we’re exploring ways to make these types of Tweets accessible to everyone,” Twitter responded from its official support account.  But if Twitter’s initial statement was meant to to smooth things over, it had the opposite of its intended effect. Instead, the response came off as tone deaf, with critics saying it made it seem as though accessibility is an afterthought for Twitter. “The Americans With Disabilities Act was signed into law 30 years ago,” Cortland wrote. “Federal law requires accessibility from the start. You don’t, as a matter of civil rights law, get to roll out an inaccessible feature and then, only later, make it accessible.” Criticism...
    (CNN)The preliminary results of a National Guard investigation found a lack of clarity in orders played a significant role in a medical evacuation helicopter flying at extremely low altitude over protesters in the nation's capital earlier this month, according to two defense officials.The Washington, DC, National Guard's fact-finding probe into why a National Guard UH-72 medical helicopter flew just above protesters on the streets of Washington on June 1 has wrapped, the officials told CNN. The report has been delivered to the head of the DC National Guard, Maj. Gen. William J. Walker, who can accept or reject any recommendations or order further action such as administrative punishment, including letters of reprimand, the officials said. The results could be made public later this week. However, if Walker proceeds with administrative punishment those involved would have 10 days to respond, which would push the public release into next week.The report goes...
    The European Union’s top official acknowledged a lack of racial and ethnic diversity within the bloc’s institutions as she pledged Wednesday to keep talking about racism and discrimination. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said during a discussion at the European Parliament about racism and police violence that she wants to “get to the bottom of these questions.” “Let us look around us, here in this very hemicycle,” von der Leyen said in a speech delivered at the horseshoe-shaped EU legislature. “The diversity of our society is not represented. And I will be the first to admit, things are not better in the College of Commissioners, nor among the European Commission staff.” The College of Commissioners, which oversees EU policies, is made of 27 members, one from each EU country. All the members of the team set up by von der Leyen are white. “This is why I...
    In the fatal shooting of a black man by police in Atlanta last week, officers’ body cameras captured about 40 minutes of footage, but not the critical moments that end with one of them opening fire. In Oklahoma City, it took police more than a year to release video from the arrests of a man who died in custody. It came out months after the officers involved were cleared of any wrongdoing, and shows them struggling with the man as he says “I can’t breathe.” One officer replies: “I don’t care.” Nationwide, police departments have rushed to ramp up the use of body cameras, which have been hailed as a potential equalizer that would show the unvarnished truth of an encounter with officers. But the cases in Georgia and Oklahoma highlight why the technology’s benefit has come into question amid protests sparked by the killing of George...
    A leading COVID-19 model is now predicting 200,000 deaths due to coronavirus in the United States by October - up by a staggering 30,000 from its last forecast just 10 days ago.  The University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation revised its death toll forecast upwards by 18 percent from 169,890 on Tuesday due mainly to states reopening and people not adhering to social distancing.  The model, whose estimates are cited by health experts, is projecting that Florida will see its deaths nearly triple to 18,675 deaths by October and California can expect to see deaths surge by 72 percent to 15,155. Georgia and Arizona are also predicted to have sharp increases in deaths. Currently, the US death toll due to COVID-19 stands at more than 116,000 and there have been more than two million confirmed cases across the country.  It comes as fears have been mounting of a second wave...
    Washington state GOP chairman Caleb Heimlich sounded off on Seattle lawmakers for allowing protesters to continue occupying part of the city without any real plans to shut it down. “What we’re seeing is a complete failure of political leadership, from the mayor and from our governor, Gov. Jay Inslee,” said Heimlich. “The mayor needs to show leadership, it’s up to the mayor to respond to this situation.” He also slammed Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan for referring to CHAZ, which is also being referred to as CHOP, as the “summer of love” during a recent CNN segment. Heimlich says that it is more accurate to call it the “summer of anarchy” based on what he has seen and how some business owners and some residents in the area feel. (RELATED: ‘The Majority Of Them Don’t Even Know Why They’re There’: Walkaway Founder Crashes A BLM Protest.) Heimlich also discussed what...
    The family of a PATH worker who died of COVID-19 complications filed a lawsuit for wrongful death saying that the railroad failed to supply adequate PPE or facilitate testing, reports say. Robert Elijah, 61, of Aberdeen -- who worked for 18 years as a Power Rail Mechanic -- died of COVID-19 complications April 23. He was one of two Port Authority of New York/New Jersey employees to die from the virus, NJ.com reports. Elijah contracted the virus after hugging a coworker in Jersey City on March 15, who later tested positive, says the suit -- filed in Hudson County Superior Court. “Mr. Elijah’s death is a tragedy for PATH and for the Port Authority,” said authority spokesperson Cheryl Ann Albiez. The Port Authority does not comment on pending litigation, she said. Elijah was not wearing a mask at the time he was believed to have contracted the virus, as employees were...
    A growing number of Minneapolis police officers are quitting their jobs and are saying that they made the decision based on the lack of support that they have received from local Democrat political leaders. “At least seven Minneapolis police officers have resigned from the department since widespread unrest began over the death of George Floyd last month, and more than half a dozen are in the process of leaving, according to department officials,” The Star Tribune reported Saturday. “Morale has sunk to new lows in recent weeks, say department insiders, as officers reported feeling misunderstood and squeezed by all sides: by the state probe; by protesters, who hurled bricks and epithets their way; by city leaders, who surrendered a police station that later burned on national television, and by the media. Numerous officers and protesters were injured the rioting.” The Star Tribune underscores that the number of police officers who are...
    Major League Soccer will not play the national anthem before matches as the league is a few weeks away from returning to the field after the coronavirus pandemic shut it down in March. MLS Commissioner Don Garber told reporters during a conference call that the anthem will not be played because there will be no fans in the stands when the players start up again at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida on July 8. US SOCCER PRESIDENT ADDRESSES REPEAL OF ANTHEM POLICY “We won't be playing the anthem,” Garber told reporters. “There's not going to be any fans in the stands, so we didn't see that it would be appropriate. And I feel today no different than I felt then, which is if a player is looking to express their right to kneel during the national anthem, they should have the right to do so. I...
    On Sunday, Fox News’ Howard Kurtz and Chris Wallace engaged in a discussion about journalistic integrity. “Is journalism becoming more intolerant?” Kurtz asked. “I mean, ten or twenty years ago, would we have seen the publisher of The New York Times completely flipping and criticizing a conservative op-ed that he had defended because a bunch of newsroom staffers didn’t like it?” Wallace replied: It feels like the inmates are running the asylum. You know, I’ve been critical sometimes of the Times, and I think that their liberal tendency tends to bleed out onto their news coverage – some people have accused Fox of the same thing in terms of our tendencies – but I thought that what happened in the last week at the Times was just extraordinary. Wallace then explained that Senator Tom Cotton (R-AK) had written an op-ed in which he advocated using the military to end the...
    A new report from NBC News on Friday night about internal White House debates shone a revealing light on the abject leadership failures of President Donald Trump. The piece documents his dueling camps of advisers, both in the campaign and the administration, who are split over how Trump should react to the ongoing protests over the killing of George Floyd, police abuses, and racism more broadly. Trump, the report found, is largely dismissive of the protesters themselves, saying: “These aren’t my voters.” This reflects a trait of the president’s that has repeatedly shown its ugly head throughout his term in office: dismissiveness toward constituents who didn’t vote for him. He clearly thinks he owes more to Trump voters than he does to the American people more generally. This is a deep moral failing on his part. But the NBC News report also just reveals him to be indecisive and floundering,...
    PHOENIX (AP) - Cochise County Assessor Philip Leiendecker was first elected in 1992. He hasn’t had an opponent since 1996. This year, he’s running for reelection unopposed - again. There just isn’t much competition. “No one ever grows up with the goal of being county assessor,” Leiendecker said. TOP STORIES Suspect in deputys ambush killing is active-duty Air Force sergeant Coronavirus hype biggest political hoax in history Speedway declares race a protest to skirt coronavirus rules, draws 2,000 In fact, there will be only a single candidate on the ballot for county assessor in at least nine of Arizona’s 15 counties. In eight of those, the incumbent is running unopposed. For all the money, sweat and vitriol that will go into the races for president and U.S. Senate in Arizona, many local officials in this battleground state will skate to reelection. Most of the state’s incumbent county attorneys, treasurers,...
    The owner of a New York City pizza shop told “Fox & Friends Weekend” on Sunday he plans to reopen on Monday despite the governor's order that he is not yet allowed, saying he is fed up with the city’s leadership. “I want to go back to us serving pizza and wine instead of having guard dogs here,” Anthony Piscina, the owner of Grimaldi’s Coal Brick Oven Pizzeria in Manhattan, said while standing near a large dog. “We want to go back to normal,” he added. Piscina made the comments shortly after New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced an early end to the city’s curfew amid the George Floyd protests after demonstrations remained largely peaceful on Saturday. In a tweet Sunday morning, de Blasio said the demonstrations the day before "saw the very best of our city." De Blasio had initially insisted that the 8 p.m. curfew would remain in place...
    Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson seemingly took a swipe at Donald Trump in an impassioned video commenting on the ongoing protests in the U.S. sparked by the death of George Floyd. The 48-year-old movie star joined the myriad of actors either protesting or speaking out in support of the black community in the United States after Floyd’s death sparked a national conversation about police brutality that turned violent in some parts of the country. President Trump has since responded with calls to renew “law and order” by instructing state governments to deploy more police. Johnson took to Instagram on Wednesday where he shared a roughly 8-and-a-half-minute video in which he delivered an emotional speech calling on the president to step up and lead with compassion, although he did not mention Trump by name. CORONAVIRUS PREPARATION: WHAT TO STOCK-UP ON “Where are you? Where is our leader at this time? At this time when...
    Tensions flared Wednesday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing with former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., complained about a lack of transparency from the Department of Justice (DOJ), and said that a "Democratic" regime at the DOJ would fix many of those problems. Rosenstein was before the committee to testify about the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, alleged Trump campaign collusion with those efforts and allegations of investigative misconduct by the DOJ in pursuing the Trump campaign. The investigation, which was called "Crossfire Hurricane," culminated in a probe by former Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who did not recommend any charges related to collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. ROSENSTEIN TESTIFIES HE WOULD NOT HAVE SIGNED FISA WARRANT FOR TRUMP AIDE IF HE KNEW OF PROBLEMS Whitehouse, in his questioning of Rosenstein, did not focus on Crossfire Hurricane, however, but instead lambasted the DOJ and...
    KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A prominent international aid organization warned Tuesday that Afghanistan is on the brink of a humanitarian disaster because the government is unable to test at least 80% of possible coronavirus cases. The Intentional Rescue Committee said COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, is rapidly spreading undetected through Afghanistan. The IRC said the number of confirmed new cases rose by 684% in May, but the country’s extremely low testing capacity means many people are going untested. Vicki Aken, Afghanistan country director at the IRC, told The Associated Press there are many concerns about the spread of the virus in Afghanistan, but the lack of testing is crucial. ”We know that they’re clearing less than a thousand tests today each day,” she said. “But recent reports from the Ministry of Public Health had said that they were testing ten to twenty thousand people. I am...
    HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Health care workers rallied Saturday in New London to protest what they called a shortage of personal protective equipment and pay tribute to a nurse’s aide who died earlier this month after contracting the coronavirus. Gov. Ned Lamont, Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz and U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney, D-Conn., joined workers for Lawrence + Memorial Hospital and the Visiting Nurses Association of Southeastern Connecticut for the rally. Union leaders said nurses, aides and other health care workers are risking their lives caring for COVID-19 patients while lacking sufficient protective gear such as masks and gowns to keep them safe. TOP STORIES Trump vetoes first domestic bill in four years, rejects measure on education loan forgiveness SpaceX makes history with NASA-backed commercial launch Coronavirus hype biggest political hoax in history “Our #HealthcareHeroes are fighting 24 hours a day to save lives, all while putting their own lives...