Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 21:25:24
1000 results - (0.002 seconds)

Chinese government:

A senior State Department official voiced support for “Taiwan’s freedom and independence” in an unusually emphatic sign of disregard for Beijing’s claim to sovereignty over the island democracy. "It seems to me preserving Taiwan’s freedom and independence is a priority,” State Department director of policy planning Peter Berkowitz said Wednesday. That statement comes at a time of widespread concern that Chinese Communist forces will attack Taiwan, fears linked in part to uncertainty about whether the United States would intervene. Berkowitz stopped short of an explicit defense pledge, but his comments likely will anger a Chinese Communist regime that routinely pressures countries not to recognize Taiwan as a legitimate government. “The State Department has been and the Defense Department has been thinking long and hard about how to assist our free and democratic friends in the region, Taiwan, but of course the larger Indo-Pacific region as well,” Berkowitz...
    By JOE McDONALD, AP Business Writer BEIJING (AP) — China is raising import taxes on Australian wine, stepping up pressure on Australia over disputes including its support for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus. The anti-dumping duties of up to 212.1% take effect Saturday. The Ministry of Commerce said Friday they are in response to complaints Chinese wine producers were damaged by improperly low-priced Australian imports. Australia’s government denied subsidizing wine exports. Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said the penalties would make Australian wine uncompetitive in China, which buys about 40% of his country’s production. China, Australia’s biggest export market, stopped or imposed curbs on imports of Australian beef, barley, seafood, sugar and timber after its government supported calls for an investigation into the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, which began in China in December. The ruling Communist Party is trying to deflect criticism of its handling of the...
    BEIJING – China is raising import taxes on Australian wine, stepping up pressure on Australia over disputes including its support for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus. The anti-dumping duties of up to 212.1% take effect Saturday. The Ministry of Commerce said Friday they are in response to complaints Chinese wine producers were damaged by improperly low-priced Australian imports. Australia’s government denied subsidizing wine exports. Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said the penalties would make Australian wine uncompetitive in China, which buys about 40% of his country’s production. China, Australia’s biggest export market, stopped or imposed curbs on imports of Australian beef, barley, seafood, sugar and timber after its government supported calls for an investigation into the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, which began in China in December. The ruling Communist Party is trying to deflect criticism of its handling of the outbreak by arguing the virus originated...
    Hong Kong (CNN)Foreign religious groups and worshipers could be the latest targets of a growing crackdown on organized religion in China under President Xi Jinping. Draft rules published this week by the Ministry of Justice call for new restrictions on how foreign worshipers operate in order to prevent the spreading of "religious extremism," or use of religion "to undermine China's national or ethnic unity." The rules, currently open to public feedback but unlikely to change significantly from their current form, are just the latest move to control religious practice under Xi, who has repeatedly called for the "sinicization" of religion.Xi has overseen a major clampdown on Uyghurs and other Muslim minority groups in the western region of Xinjiang, where some 2 million Uyghurs and other minorities have passed through "reeducation camps" according to rights groups, as well as campaigns targeting Christian groups and Tibetan Buddhists. The Chinese national flag flies...
    BEIJING (Reuters) - China is considering drawing up a blacklist of "diehard" supporters of Taiwan's independence, the government said on Wednesday, which may see Beijing try to take legal steps against democratically-elected President Tsai Ing-wen. Taiwan condemned the plan after the pro-Beijing Hong Kong-based newspaper Ta Kung Pao first reported on it this month. China's widely-read Global Times tabloid has said the list could include senior Taiwanese government officials. China claims self-governing Taiwan as its own territory. Taiwan's government says the island is already an independent country called the Republic of China, its formal name, although China rejects this position. Zhu Fenglian, a spokeswoman for China's Taiwan Affairs Office, said the "list of diehard Taiwan secessionists" now under consideration was only aimed at a very small number of independence supporters and those who fund them. "It is absolutely not aimed at the vast majority of Taiwan compatriots," she told a...
    It would cost US carriers over $1.8 billion to replace all ZTE and Huawei equipment, according to a previous FCC estimate. The Senate approved a $1 billion budget to help the carriers replace them earlier this year, but the government has yet to find the funds needed for the program. In its announcement for the rejection of ZTE’s petition, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said: “With today’s order, we are taking another important step in our ongoing efforts to protect US communications networks from security risks. At the next Open Meeting on December 10, the Commission will vote on rules to implement the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Reimbursement program to help carriers remove and replace untrusted equipment from their networks, months before the statutory deadline. Now it is more vital than ever that Congress appropriate funds so that our communications networks are protected from vendors that threaten our national security.”...
    The Indian government on Tuesday said it had banned another 43 Chinese smartphone apps, citing national security concerns. India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology said it was banning the Chinese applications “based on inputs regarding these apps for engaging in activities prejudicial to India’s sovereignty, integrity, defense, security and public order.” India’s central government is empowered to block public access to any website or mobile app that engages in such activities under section 69A of India’s Information Technology Act. The banned applications include numerous offerings by Chinese multinational tech conglomerate Alibaba Group, such as the e-commerce apps AliSuppliers, Ali Express, Alipay Cashier, and Alibaba Workbench. The ban also includes several dating apps, according to the Indian Express. India banned 177 Chinese-based apps this past summer and terminated numerous business contracts with companies in China amid an ongoing border standoff between the two Asian neighbors over their disputed boundary in the western Himalayas. Since it began in mid-June, the conflict...
    The U.S. intelligence community is raising concerns about the Chinese Communist Party’s influence over digital currencies with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Cryptocurrency, central bank digital currency, and e-cash are all being drawn into a multifront global competition against Beijing for leadership of the world’s economy, prompting pushback from the Trump administration reminiscent of how the government reacted to Chinese telecom giant Huawei managing to dominate much of the fifth-generation wireless technology market worldwide. Meanwhile, experts and industry leaders are worried that China is leaving the United States behind in the digital currency race. The Washington Examiner has learned that Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe wrote a letter to SEC Chairman Jay Clayton earlier this month, pointing to concerns the U.S. has about China’s sway over digital currency, as more than half the world's cryptocurrency "mining" operations are located in that country, and how the Chinese government...
    Pope Francis has called attention to the plight of Uighurs for the first time amid criticism over the Vatican’s relationship with China, CNN reported. In “Let Us Dream: The Path to A Better Future,” a book by Vatican papal biographer Austen Ivereigh that was published Monday, Francis named the Uighurs as among the world’s persecuted communities. Pope Francis looks on as he celebrates a Holy Mass as part of World Youth Day on November 22, 2020 at St. Peter’s Basilica in The Vatican. (Photo by Vincenzo PINTO / POOL / AFP) (Photo by VINCENZO PINTO/POOL/AFP via Getty Images) “I think often of persecuted peoples: the Rohingya, the poor Uyghurs, the Yazidi — what ISIS did to them was truly cruel — or Christians in Egypt and Pakistan killed by bombs that went off while they prayed in church,” Francis said, according to CNN. The Chinese national flag flies in front...
    The Conversation China beat the coronavirus with science and strong public health measures, not just with authoritarianism I live in a democracy. But as Thanksgiving approaches, I find myself longing for the type of freedom I am seeing in China. People in China are able to move around freely right now. Many Americans may believe that the Chinese are able to enjoy this freedom because of China’s authoritarian regime. As a scholar of public health in China, I think the answers go beyond that.My research suggests that the control of the virus in China is not the result of authoritarian policy, but of a national prioritization of health. China learned a tough lesson with SARS, the first coronavirus pandemic of the 21st century. How China flattened its curveBarely less than a year ago, a novel coronavirus emerged in Wuhan, China, with 80,000 cases identified within three months, killing 3,000 people....
    The Conversation China beat the coronavirus with science and strong public health measures, not just with authoritarianism I live in a democracy. But as Thanksgiving approaches, I find myself longing for the type of freedom I am seeing in China. People in China are able to move around freely right now. Many Americans may believe that the Chinese are able to enjoy this freedom because of China’s authoritarian regime. As a scholar of public health in China, I think the answers go beyond that.My research suggests that the control of the virus in China is not the result of authoritarian policy, but of a national prioritization of health. China learned a tough lesson with SARS, the first coronavirus pandemic of the 21st century. How China flattened its curveBarely less than a year ago, a novel coronavirus emerged in Wuhan, China, with 80,000 cases identified within three months, killing 3,000 people....
    A BUSINESS associate of Hunter Biden allegedly received $6million from a Chinese energy firm, say Senate Republicans. The five page report is an addendum to a September report that examined the Bidens' foreign links, and looks at the alleged activities of former federal official John Robinson "Rob" Walker. 5A business associate of Hunter Biden allegedly received $6million from a Chinese energy firm, according to a report published by Senate Republicans Credit: REUTERS 5Some emails found on Hunter Biden's laptop allegedly link him to murky business dealings involving foreign countries Walker is the sole owner of Robinson Walker LLC and confidential records show that a pair of $3million wire transfers were deposited in a Robinson Walker bank account on February 23 2017 and March 1 2017. The transactions were made by Shanghai-based State Energy HK Ltd. The records state that it's "unclear what the true purpose is...
    Pope Francis praised NBA players for their social justice advocacy during a Monday morning private audience at the Vatican. “You’re champions,” Pope Francis reportedly told the players.  Both the NBA and Pope Francis have been criticized for their co-operation and close ties to China despite China’s human rights abuses.  Pope Francis praised NBA players for their social justice advocacy during a Monday morning private audience at the Vatican. Several officials from the NBA went with a delegation of five NBA players to attend an “unprecedented meeting” with the Holy Father to discuss advocacy work Monday, ESPN reported. (RELATED: NBA’s Surrender To China Shows Money Still Talks Louder Than ‘Social Justice’) Pope Francis’s assistant had reached out to the players’ association last week about the meeting, prompting the players’ union to quickly schedule an overnight flight on Sunday to Rome, according to the publication. #PopeFrancis met today with reps...
    Hong Kong (CNN Business)Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang has described plans by Chinese regulators to tighten restrictions on internet companies as "timely and necessary."The remarks from Zhang come as Alibaba (BABA) finds itself in the crosshairs of Chinese regulators. News of an imminent crackdown sent shares in the company and other Chinese tech giants plunging earlier this month. That came after officials slammed the brakes on the blockbuster IPO of Ant Group, Alibaba's financial affiliate, following public criticism by founder Jack Ma of Chinese regulators. Striking a more conciliatory tone, Zhang said on Monday that he welcomes more regulation, and noted that China's digital economy has thus far been able to develop and innovate rapidly thanks to government policies. Chinese officials are planning new policies and regulations to ensure the country's online platforms develop in an orderly and healthy manner, Zhang said at China's World Internet Conference on Monday, according to...
    (CNN)Shanghai's biggest international airport momentarily descended into chaos Sunday night, after authorities ordered a mass testing drive in response to a small outbreak of Covid-19 linked to several cargo handlers.Since the beginning of November, seven cargo workers and their close contacts at the Shanghai Pudong International Airport have been diagnosed as confirmed coronavirus cases, including two reported on Sunday.In a bid to contain the cluster, authorities ordered all cargo staff at the airport to undergo coronavirus tests overnight and set up a temporary testing site on the second floor of a parking garage, according to a statement from the Shanghai government.Photos and videos circulating on Chinese social media show hundreds of people packed closely together inside the garage -- the opposite of social distancing -- with a line of people in hazmat suits trying to hold back crowds pushing forward.But the chaos appeared to have calmed before midnight, when the...
    (CNN)A senior United States naval official visited Taiwan Sunday, as the outgoing Trump administration continued to strengthen ties with the self-ruled island in its last weeks, further riling Beijing and potentially helping to shape how Joe Biden deals with this issue as president. Sources identified the official as Navy Rear Admiral Michael Studeman, the top military intelligence official at US Indo-Pacific command. Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it welcomed the visit but would not give any details "since this itinerary has not been made public."Under President Donald Trump, Washington has ramped up engagement with Taipei, especially during the last 12 months. The Trump administration has authorized billions of dollars of arms sales to the self-governed island and, in August, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar became most senior US official to visit Taiwan in decades.Improved ties with Taiwan came as the US increased pressure on China and sought...
    The head of the Tibetan government in exile visited the White House on Friday, the first such meeting in 60 years and one that could draw the ire of Beijing. Lobsang Sangay, president of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), said he met with the White House’s newly appointed U.S. special coordinator for Tibetan issues, Robert Destro. Sangay told VOA he met with representatives from the office of the president and vice president, along with key personnel working on Asia- and China-related issues. “I was happy and proud to hear that there is a formal recognition and respect for the Tibetan exile administration, our democratically elected leadership, and His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s gift of his political handover to the Central Tibetan Administration,” Sangay said in an interview with VOA’s Tibetan Service. China seized control over Tibet in 1950 in what it described as a “peaceful liberation” that helped the remote Himalayan region...
    Last week, students at Brandeis University hosted an online discussion about China’s controversial Xinjiang policies, hearing experts discuss the detention, abuse and political indoctrination of more than 1 million Uighurs and other Muslim minorities. But as Uighur attorney and advocate Rayhan Asat appeared before the student group last Friday, her screen was taken over as hackers wrote “fake news” and “liar” on it. For some participants, the hacking was unwelcome but unsurprising. James Millward, a professor at Georgetown University and a prominent Xinjiang scholar, told VOA that the group had been warned about a potential interruption beforehand. He said some letters had been written to the Brandeis president, the faculty adviser of the student who organized the panel, and the Office of Diversity Equity and Inclusion to shut down the panel. “The letter said that it was damaging or disturbing to Chinese students to discuss issues going on in the Xinjiang...
    Airbnb’s chief trust officer Sean Joyce left the company after just six months in 2019 because the former FBI deputy director took issue with the company’s data sharing practices in China, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. For years, Airbnb has disclosed that it shares information such as phone numbers and email addresses with the Chinese government when a user books a rental in China. That happens whether the user is a Chinese citizen or a foreign visitor — a policy that’s required from all hospitality businesses operating in the country. Joyce, who Airbnb hired in May 2019 to protect the platform’s users, was concerned with Airbnb’s willingness to share data. Joyce also objected to the scope of the data shared, such as messages sent between guests and hosts, The Wall Street Journal reports. He feared it could allow the Chinese government to track foreign visitors and...
    A man counting 100 renminbi notes, the Chinese currency.Sheldon Cooper | SOPA Images | LightRocket via Getty Images SINGAPORE — A series of high-profile defaults involving state-owned companies in China — normally a safe pick for investors — have jolted the credit market and rattled investors, leading to last week's bond market selloff. As the bleeding continues pointing to signs of more bond defaults ahead, observers are debating the questions of why more state-owned enterprises (SOEs) are being left in the cold this time compared to the past two decades and what segments of the market, if any, will the government choose to support. State-owned miner Yongcheng Coal and Electricity defaulted on a 1 billion yuan ($151.9million) bond last week, triggering a broadened state investigation into three underwriting banks suspected of misconduct. Other high-profile debt defaults followed suit this week, including government-backed chipmaker Tsinghua Unigroup, which missed payment after failing...
    Senate Republicans issued a supplement Thursday to their recent report on Hunter Biden’s overseas business dealings — and said $6 million in wire transfers further ties the son of President-elect Joe Biden to China’s communist government. The five-page addendum focuses on former federal official John Robinson “Rob” Walker, who’s described as a “longtime business associate” of Hunter Biden. Walker has also been accused of warning Tony Bobulinski, who was formerly a business partner of both Walker and Hunter Biden, not to go public with information about their commercial affairs. “Ah, Tony, you’re just going to bury all of us, man,” Walker said, according to Bobulinski. Walker, who held jobs under then-presidents Bill Clinton — for whom he was also a key campaign aide — and George W. Bush, is the sole owner of Robinson Walker LLC, according to Thursday’s report, which cites a May 21, 2017, WhatsApp message provided by...
    Hong Kong (CNN)China has declared Australia must take the blame for "a sharp downturn" in relations between the two countries, with a Foreign Ministry spokesman saying all responsibility is on "some people in Australia (who) tend to regard China's development as a threat."Relations between Australia and China have been frosty for years, but the situation deteriorated rapidly after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in April called for an international inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic.The Chinese government dubbed Morrison's proposal "political manipulation." From May onwards, lucrative Australian exports to China including wine, barley and beef have faced obstacles from China -- including high tariffs, anti-subsidy investigations and lengthy delays clearing customs.In September, the last two reporters from Australian news organizations in China had to be evacuated after they were aggressively questioned by authorities over a national security case involving Cheng Lei, an Australian journalist working for Chinese state...
    The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday published a year-end review of the “China Initiative,” a program launched in 2018 to detect and counter “national security threats posed by the policies and practices of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) government.” “In the last year, the Department has made incredible strides in countering the systemic efforts by the PRC to enhance its economic and military strength at America’s expense. While much work remains to be done, the Department is committed to holding to account those who would steal, or otherwise illicitly obtain, the U.S. intellectual capital that will propel the future,” said Attorney General William Barr. FBI Director Christopher Wray noted his agency opens a new counterintelligence investigation related to China “nearly every ten hours.” “The Chinese Communist Party’s theft of sensitive information and technology isn’t a rumor or a baseless accusation. It’s very real, and it’s part of...
    One year ago today, the first publicly confirmed COVID-19 case was found in China. One year later, the virus still rages across the globe. On Nov. 17, 2019, the first case of the coronavirus was reported in a 55-year old man from Hubei province, according to Business Insider. However, throughout the year, allegations emerged that China was covering up the virus well before its discovery was made public, and it remains unclear whether the Nov. 17 case was truly the first reported case. The first confirmed COVID-19 case in China can be traced back to November 17. Today is COVID-19’s birthday. — Scott Bixby (@scottbix) November 17, 2020 The Wuhan government initially said the first known case was found Dec. 8, according to the South China Morning Post (SCMP). But it wasn’t until late December that Chinese officials claimed they realized that the sickness was actually a new virus,...
    In a detailed policy document, President Trump’s State Department is warning the incoming administration that it must address a Chinese government intent on displacing the United States as the world’s foremost power. “The Trump administration achieved a fundamental break with the conventional wisdom. It concluded that the CCP's [Chinese Communist Party's] resolute conduct and self-professed goals require the United States and other countries to revise assumptions and develop a new strategic doctrine to address the primacy and magnitude of the China challenge,” according to the document. The State Department’s policy planning office, often called the department’s "think tank," wrote the report as a long-term document to "sketch a framework for the fashioning of sturdy policies that stand above bureaucratic squabbles and interagency turf battles and transcend short-term election cycles." CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST ELECTION RESULTS FROM FOX NEWS President-elect Joe Biden's plans for the U.S.-China relationship are largely unclear. He has...
    WASHINGTON - The Justice Department is touting the success of its "China Initiative," saying it has achieved "substantial progress" in disrupting and deterring Chinese efforts to subvert U.S. economic and national security.  In a statement Monday, the second anniversary of the China Initiative, Attorney General William Barr said the department has made “incredible strides” in countering the Chinese threat.     "While much work remains to be done, the department is committed to holding to account those who would steal, or otherwise illicitly obtain, the U.S. intellectual capital that will propel the future," Barr said.  The China Initiative was launched in November 2019 by then attorney general Jeff Sessions, who said at the time that "we see Chinese espionage not just taking place against traditional targets like our defense and intelligence agencies, but against targets like research labs and universities, and we see Chinese propaganda disseminated on our campuses."  The goal was to enhance the...
    The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is compiling a “blacklist” of Taiwan independence activists who will face criminal prosecution by Chinese authorities for their efforts to protect the island’s democratic rule, Hong Kong-based newspaper Ta Kung Pao reported on Sunday. “For the ‘stubborn secessionists’ and their funders, the mainland [China] will take strict measures to bring them to justice. … They will be held accountable for life. We highly support the formulation of the list,” China’s state-run Global Times wrote of the alleged blacklist in an editorial published on Monday. “Those on the list will be punished in accordance with the [Chinese anti-secession] laws and may face criminal prosecution. That means they will no longer be able to set foot in Hong Kong, Macao and the Chinese mainland, and it will also be very dangerous for them to travel to other countries and regions,” the newspaper revealed. The CCP’s rubber-stamp legislature passed...
    In 2020, the U.S. government exposed a half-dozen members of China’s People’s Liberation Army allegedly studying in the United States after lying on their student visa applications — just one of many statistics cited by the Justice Department related to charges against and prosecutions of Chinese Communist Party-linked individuals as it touted the success of its China Initiative on Monday. “In the last year, the Department has made incredible strides in countering the systemic efforts by the PRC to enhance its economic and military strength at America’s expense,” Attorney General William Barr said. “While much work remains to be done, the Department is committed to holding to account those who would steal, or otherwise illicitly obtain, the U.S. intellectual capital that will propel the future.” Multiple members of the Chinese military were charged by the Justice Department this summer for concealing their ties to China's military and allegedly...
    TikTok : One of the apps that has gained the most prominence during this quarantine has been TikTok. Famous and not so famous have joined the trend of the most creative stories, and its editing tool is one of the most powerful to make this type of content. However, for some it is an entertainment space with which to share stories with the world while for others it is a source of information. And there are countries that want take action to the point of blocking TikTok. Data leak to China? We are at a time when companies are against a rock and a hard place on the issue of the data they handle from third parties. In Europe everything is very serious and the LOPD must be strictly adhered to, from large corporations to the small neighborhood store that sells its products on...
    TikTok : Although the epic controversy between Apple and Epic – the creators of Fortnite – is the one that monopolizes the headlines of Technology, the contest between TikTok and the United States of Donald Trump continues: A week ago, the president of the United States Donald Trump, signed an executive order to prohibit “any transaction” with TikTok after 45 days if its owner, the Chinese Bytedance, does not sell its operations in the United States to a local company, which can thus control what the app of Chinese origin does on American soil –in fact, and given that TikTok is the viral app of the moment, Microsoft and Twitter have already been interested in buying them. The reason for such a political decision on a mobile application? Lhe concerns that the data collected by the music video social network will be used for...
    TikTok : In early August, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, affirmed that his government would ban the application of TikTok on September 15 if it did not reach a sale agreement on its operations in the country before that date. TikTok reached an agreement with Oracle and Walmart to create TikTok Global, an entity in which US companies would own a 20% stake. Donald Trump vs TikTok Trump, who initially gave his approval to the deal, said he could not approve it if Oracle did not have control over TikTok. And the war continues: Donald Trump and his government continue to face the Chinese application, which continues to increase its viral reach and its millionaire number of downloads and active users per month. The last thing in this war happened last week, when ehe United States government issued an order that...
    TikTok : In early August, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, affirmed that his government would ban the application of TikTok on September 15 if it did not reach a sale agreement on its operations in the country before that date. TikTok reached an agreement with Oracle and Walmart to create TikTok Global, an entity in which US companies would own a 20% stake. Donald Trump vs TikTok Trump, who initially gave his approval to the deal, said he could not approve it if Oracle did not have control over TikTok. And the war continues: Donald Trump and his government continue to face the Chinese application, which continues to increase its viral reach and its millionaire number of downloads and active users per month. The last thing in this war happened in September, when ehe United States government issued an order that...
    2 killed as explosion rocks Veterans Affairs hospital campus in Connecticut Several dozen USSS officers sidelined due to coronavirus exposure Chinas Xi Jinping personally halted Ants record-breaking $37 billion IPO after boss Jack Ma snubbed government leaders, report says © Ted S. Warren-Pool/Getty Images Ted S. Warren-Pool/Getty Images Chinese President Xi Jinping halted Ant Group's historic $37 billion initial public offering after its founder, Jack Ma, criticized government leaders, The Wall Street Journal reported. A week before the Chinese fintech was set to go public, Ma made incendiary comments that didn't go down well with the president or other government officials, the report said. Xi has displayed a low tolerance for big private businesses that accumulate wealth and power as they threaten his authority, The Journal said. It's unclear whether Xi or another government official was the first to suggest suspending the IPO, the newspaper said. Visit Business...
    TikTok : US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed that the Donald Trump administration is seriously considering banning the use of China’s social media apps, such as TikTok. According to Pompeo, people should only download the application “if you want your private information to be in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party”
    TikTok : Posted at 23:09 ET (04:09 GMT) Wednesday, July 8, 2020 Playing 3:04 Posted at 20:25 ET (01:25 GMT) Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:45 Posted at 14:12 ET (19:12 GMT) Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:29 Posted at 12:10 ET (17:10 GMT) Wednesday, November 11, 2020 0:41 Posted at 22:55 ET (03:55 GMT) Tuesday, November 10, 2020 1:50 Posted at 19:05 ET (00:05 GMT) Thursday, November 5, 2020 1:25 Posted at 15:34 ET (20:34 GMT) Tuesday, November 3, 2020 1:20 Posted at 18:41 ET (23:41 GMT) Wednesday, October 28, 2020 0:48 Posted at 18:11 ET (23:11 GMT)...
    Which states are ending the $300 bonus? Debunking false and misleading videos claiming to show voter fraud Ants record-breaking $37 billion IPO was personally halted by Chinas Xi Jinping after boss Jack Ma snubbed government leaders, report says © Ted S. Warren-Pool/Getty Images Jack Ma shakes hands with Chinese President Xi Jinping during a visit at Microsoft's main campus September 23, 2015 in Redmond, Washington. Ted S. Warren-Pool/Getty Images Ant Group's historic $37 billion IPO was personally halted by Chinese President Xi Jinping after boss Jack Ma criticized government leaders, the Wall Street Journal reported. A week before the Chinese fintech was set to go public, Ma made incendiary comments that didn't go down well with the president or other government officials, the report said. Xi has increasingly displayed low tolerance of big private businesses that accumulate wealth and power as they threaten the Communist Party's authority, WSJ...
    TikTok : US government could ban TikTok 1:15 . – The short video app TikTok quickly became a key element of American popular culture, serving as a platform for sharing viral memes, as well as political satire and activism. Facebook, the dominant force on social media, has tried to copy the app, but so far that hasn’t slowed its rapid growth. However, now TikTok faces the most direct threat to its expansion in the United States and this does not come from a competitor, but from the Government. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that they are “considering” banning the app, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance. In this way he reaffirmed the statements made on Monday by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. This is just the latest and highest-profile example of how Washington raises alarm about the app that is popular with...
    Earlier this month, a Chinese firm that has cashed in on deploying AI-powered surveillance gear in Xinjiang momentarily published some of its code online, providing a glimpse into how tech firms track the region’s Uyghur population on behalf of the Chinese government. In what can only be described as a massive fuck-up, someone—likely a software engineer employed by Dahua Technology, the surveillance gear supplier—posted the company’s software development kit for video tracking tools, which are built specifically to identify Uyghurs. A Munich-based software security engineer, Serge Bazanski, came across the code on Github and tweeted screenshots, as well as a link to Dahua’s full code on Y Combinator’s Hacker News site, on Nov. 2. Dahua yanked its kit off Github shortly after, but it has been archived on the Wayback Machine. The code includes race-based tagging and tracking, as well as seemingly harmless physical-trait identifiers like whether a scanned subject...
    By MATT O'BRIEN, AP Technology Writer The popular video-sharing app TikTok, its future in limbo since President Donald Trump tried to shut it down earlier this fall, is asking a federal court to intervene. TikTok's Chinese owner, ByteDance, has until Thursday to sell off its U.S. operations under an executive order that Trump signed in August. Trump in September gave his tentative blessing to a ByteDance proposal meant to resolve U.S. national security concerns by placing TikTok under the oversight of American companies Oracle and Walmart, each of which would also have a financial stake in the company. But TikTok said this week it's received “no clarity” from the U.S. government about whether its proposals have been accepted. The deal has been under a national-security review by the interagency Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS, which is led by the Treasury Department. The Treasury Department didn’t...
    The popular video-sharing app TikTok, its future in limbo since President Donald Trump tried to shut it down earlier this fall, is asking a federal court to intervene. TikTok's Chinese owner, ByteDance, has until Thursday to sell off its U.S. operations under an executive order that Trump signed in August. Trump in September gave his tentative blessing to a ByteDance proposal meant to resolve U.S. national security concerns by placing TikTok under the oversight of American companies Oracle and Walmart, each of which would also have a financial stake in the company. But TikTok said this week it's received “no clarity” from the U.S. government about whether its proposals have been accepted. The deal has been under a national-security review by the interagency Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or CFIUS, which is led by the Treasury Department. The Treasury Department didn’t return emailed requests for comment...
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will intervene to block takeovers and corporate deals that threaten national security, the government said on Wednesday, publishing details of new laws covering potentially sensitive sectors such as defence and energy. The National Security and Investment Bill will give ministers new powers to scrutinise and intervene in "malicious" foreign investment, addressing long-standing concerns that some deals could compromise security or vital infrastructure. "Hostile actors should be in no doubt – there is no back door into the UK," said business minister Alok Sharma.   "This bill will mean that we can continue to welcome job-creating investment to our shores, while shutting out those who could threaten the safety of the British people." Earlier this year, ministers blocked Chinese communications firm Huawei from parts of its communications network over concerns about spying. In 2016 Britain delayed a nuclear power project in England over concerns about Chinese state funding....
    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley called on the Justice Department Tuesday to assess whether Hunter Biden and his uncle, James Biden, should have registered as foreign agents of China for their work with a Chinese energy firm. According to a Senate report released in September, the Chinese company, CEFC China Energy, wired Hunter Biden at least $5 million from August 2017 through October 2018 to help develop investment deals for the company in the U.S. and other countries. CEFC also paid Biden’s law firm $1 million in March 2018 to represent Dr. Patrick Ho, a former CEFC executive who was indicted for bribery related to business deals in Africa. (RELATED: Tony Bobulinski: ‘Joe Biden And The Biden Family Are Compromised’) CEFC’s former chairman, Ye Jianming, reportedly has links to the Chinese Communist Party and was an official with a group tied to the People’s Liberation Army. James Biden, who...
    VIDEO2:1502:15Mark Mobius says China doesn't want Ant Group to become too dominantEast Tech West The suspension of Ant Group's initial public offering (IPO) is a sign of the times, according to veteran investor Mark Mobius, who is the founder of Mobius Capital Partners.  Ant, an affiliate of Jack Ma's Alibaba, was all set for a $34.4 billion dual listing in Shanghai and Hong Kong last Thursday. Ant operates Alipay, which is one of China's most popular mobile payment systems. It is also provides everything from wealth management to micro loans, and sells financial technology to enterprises. But the fintech firm's IPO, which would have been the biggest ever, was pulled at the last minute after Chinese authorities said there were "major issues" with the listing.I believe the Chinese government stepped in because they realized that they had to regulate these companies, so that they don't … get too big.Mark Mobius"The...
    Hong Kong (CNN)The Chinese government on Monday sidestepped questions on when it would congratulate United States President-elect Joe Biden on his election victory, with a Foreign Ministry spokesman saying only that China would act in "accordance with international practice."More than 24 hours after US media declared Biden victorious, China remains one of the few major countries yet to send a message of congratulations to Biden and his team on their defeat of Donald Trump, leaving many to speculate whether they are waiting for the outgoing president to concede defeat.And with two months to go until Trump leaves office, Beijing may want to avoid anything that could further destabilize US-China relations.Speaking at a regular press briefing in Beijing Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said that China had "noted" Biden's declaration of victory."We understand that the outcome of the general election will be determined in accordance with the laws and...
    TikTok : Posted at 17:33 ET (22:33 GMT) Monday, August 31, 2020 Playing 1:35 Posted at 19:05 ET (00:05 GMT) Thursday, November 5, 2020 1:25 Posted at 15:34 ET (20:34 GMT) Tuesday, November 3, 2020 1:20 Posted at 18:41 ET (23:41 GMT) Wednesday, October 28, 2020 0:48 Posted at 18:11 ET (23:11 GMT) Wednesday, October 28, 2020 1:24 Posted at 17:26 ET (22:26 GMT) Thursday, October 22, 2020 0:49 Posted at 18:21 ET (23:21 GMT) Friday, October 16, 2020 1:03 Posted at 21:31 ET (02:31 GMT) Wednesday, October 14, 2020 0:57 Posted at 18:22 ET (23:22 GMT)...
            by Jeff Minick   “We are at risk of losing a war today because too few of us know that we are engaged with an enemy, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), that means to destroy us.” With these words Brian T. Kennedy kicked off a speech he gave at a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar in late September. Kennedy is the author of Communist China’s War Inside America, was president of the Claremont Institute for 13 years, and currently serves as presidentof the American Strategy Group. Kennedy points us to a variety of dangerous CCP trends, many of them spanning the past thirty years or more. America’s trade relationships with China not only erased much of our nation’s own manufacturing – including, as COVID-19 taught us, our pharmaceutical industry – but it also helped create a Chinese economy that now rivals our own. Perhaps most frighteningly, because of neglect...
    The U.S. State Department announced on Thursday that a group called the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) will be delisted as a terrorist organization. The Chinese government reacted angrily to the announcement, as ETIM’s activities were the pretext for China’s abuse of the Uyghur Muslims of Xinjiang province and the creation of Xinjiang’s vast network of re-education camps. A State Department official told Radio Free Asia (RFA) in an email on Thursday that ETIM was removed from the list because “for more than a decade, there has been no credible evidence that ETIM continues to exist.”  ETIM is (or was) a militant Uyghur separatist group that apparently formed in the late 1990s and was first listed by the United States as a terrorist organization in 2002. Its founder Hasan Mahsum, allegedly trained at terrorist camps in Afghanistan in the 1990s, was charged by China with a spree of robberies and...
    Hong Kong (CNN Business)TikTok censored videos related to incidents in Xinjiang to avoid promoting conflict, an executive at the short-form video app told UK lawmakers this week.The statement came during a hearing held Thursday by the United Kingdom's Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, which grilled Elizabeth Kanter, the company's director of government relations and public policy for UK, Ireland and Israel, over TikTok's links to China. TikTok is owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, and has faced accusations from Western lawmakers that its ownership puts it at risk of being influenced by the Chinese government. TikTok has said in the past that it doesn't remove content based on sensitivities related to China. In a statement to CNN Business on Friday, Kanter said she misspoke during the hearing. "TikTok has previously acknowledged that in our very early days, we took a blunt approach to moderating content that promoted conflict, but we've also...
    TAIPEI, TAIWAN - U.S. officials are speeding arms sales to Taiwan this year as the Asian island revamps its defense strategy against old, and more powerful, foe China, and experts on both sides say Washington is extra keen to show support.   Taiwan is shifting toward asymmetric warfare -- the use of unconventional tactics against a stronger enemy -- and analysts believe the U.S. government figures the right defensive weaponry should follow. U.S. officials for their part want to show China they will consistently oppose perceived threats of force against Taiwan, the experts say.   “Probably Washington’s consensus is that the Chinese intimidation is growing, the cross-Strait balance is tilting, heavily, and Taiwan’s arms procurement strategy or items have been in the past too much focused on force-on-force capability rather than asymmetrical capability,” said Alexander Huang, a strategic studies professor at Tamkang University in Taiwan.  Three years of sales  ...
    HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said on Friday she had discussed coronavirus controls and economic relief measures with mainland Chinese officials during her three-day trip to Beijing and that the central government has welcomed her proposals. Speaking to reporters in Beijing, Lam said the Chinese government will support Hong Kong's competitiveness, as well as tech innovation in the Asian financial hub. Lam said she could not disclose substantial details of her meetings. Hong Kong's economy has been in a downturn since mid-2019 due to the double blow of COVID-19 and anti-government protests. Beijing-backed Lam postponed her annual policy address last month ahead of her trip to the mainland. She plans to deliver the address on Nov. 25. (Reporting by Clare Jim and Anne Marie Roantree; Writing by Marius Zaharia; Editing by Christian Schmollinger) Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters. Tags: Hong Kong, Asia
    BEIJING (AP) — Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam received credit from a top Chinese official on Friday for restoring order and reviving the economy in the semi-autonomous territory. Vice Premier Han Zheng, meeting Lam on the last day of her four-day visit to Beijing, said that her government had “overcome all kinds of difficulties and dealt with the challenges.” Hong Kong was wracked by protests last year demanding fully democratic elections and opposing China’s expanding influence in city affairs. Lam, who was picked as leader by a committee dominated by pro-Beijing members, was accused of being too close to the central government. China responded by enacting a national security law for Hong Kong earlier this year that has curtailed the protests, which were already dwindling because of COVID-19 restrictions on public gatherings. Han, one of seven members of the ruling Communist Party’s top leadership body, praised Lam’s government for its...
    A group of Chinese officials recently had a terrifying encounter on their inspection trip with a local resident - a wild Siberian tiger. The government workers were frozen with fear after spotting the endangered big cat from their car while examining a local forest farm in north-eastern China's Jilin Province on Monday. But the majestic beast seemed to be nonchalant and intrigued by the visitors as footage shows the animal strolling around the road and stretching its legs in a relaxed manner. The government workers were frozen with fear after spotting the endangered big cat from their car while examining a local farm in north-eastern China's Jilin Province on Monday A group of Chinese officials had a terrifying encounter on their inspection trip with an unexpected resident — a wild Siberian tiger. The picture shows the spotted big cat in Jilin RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next ...
    STATE DEPARTMENT - As the United States is seen as "decoupling" from China, will this policy change represent a permanent and long-term movement in U.S. decision-making or is it something that could change next year or in a future U.S. administration?  Hours before the U.S. presidential election, a senior U.S. official said “the ball is in China’s court” whether or not the U.S.-China “decoupling” is becoming a permanent element in the U.S. policy.   Miles Yu is U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s principal China policy and planning adviser who is helping reshape U.S. policy toward China.  In an exclusive interview with VOA Monday, Yu said while U.S.-China “decoupling” has never been a “stated policy,” “decoupling is happening.” Yu told VOA State Department Correspondent Nike Ching that how China responds to this “measured approach” would determine U.S. decision-making in the coming years.   Yu told VOA “pretty soon” the United States will have a final verdict on whether to officially label the Chinese Communist Party’s suppression against the Uighur...
    Hong Kong (CNN)At the first meeting between Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping, held over chocolate cake and sorbet at the US President's vast Mar-a-Lago private club in Florida, the two leaders seemed on the brink of establishing an unlikely and potentially special relationship.Trump, less than three months into his first term, had spent his election campaign denouncing the Chinese government for undermining the United States, through a wide trade imbalance and cheap labor. "We can't continue to allow China to rape our country," Trump said in May 2016.But when Trump was standing alongside Xi at Mar-a-Lago the following April, his tone changed dramatically. The two leaders exchanged compliments during a news conference, with Trump describing their relationship as "outstanding." Pictures from the meeting showed the two men sitting side-by-side, smiling broadly, on a golden couch."It was a great honor to have President Xi Jinping and Madame Peng Liyuan...
    The United States is hitting records in daily coronavirus cases. But China, the country first afflicted with the scourge, is having a different experience. Unlike the Trump administration, which has said it is prioritizing opening the economy while essentially giving up on controlling the pandemic, China moved aggressively to stop the virus. The result: China’s economy is growing, and life there is returning to a semblance of normal, while the United States is struggling with a third wave of infections and the prospect of new restrictions. Economic growth in China has surged, hitting 4.9% in the latest quarter, and consumer spending has slowly started to recover. Residents are once again flocking into malls, bars, concert halls and hair salons, while schools, subways and offices are crowded. China has effectively sealed off its borders from the outside world and doubled down on efforts to eradicate the virus. When a crop of...
    The Japanese government is considering changes that would effectively cut China out of the supply chain for its unmanned aerial vehicles, reports indicated on Friday. China is currently a major supplier of drones and components for Japan, especially for the Japanese coast guard. “Six people in government and the ruling party familiar with the matter” told Reuters on Thursday that Japan is worried about Chinese threats to its cybersecurity and intellectual property, worries that China could easily cut Japanese supply chains in a time of conflict, and leans toward its close ally America in the growing conflict between the U.S. and China.  Conversely, Japanese officials are acutely aware of their tremendous economic dependence on China, so they are reluctant to provoke a trade conflict.  “China is a big market and it is important for Japan. On the other hand, there are worries that advanced technologies and information could leak to...
    Five people, including three Chinese nationals, were arrested in the United States on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in an illegal scheme to force a US resident to return to China to face prosecution. Three other individuals also face charges in the case, but remain at large. US law enforcement officials believe they have returned to China. Department of Justice officials said that they believe those arrested were part of China’s “Operation Fox Hunt”, ostensibly an anti-corruption effort to track down fugitives overseas. US officials believe that Beijing has used the programme to target dissidents and critics of Chinese President Xi Jinping. Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China. “With today’s charges, we have turned the PRC’s Operation Fox Hunt on its head – the hunters became the hunted, the pursuers the pursued,” John Demers, the assistant attorney general...
    (CNN)The Unites States has charged eight people, including six Chinese citizens, over a three-year plot to intimidate a US resident into returning to China to face criminal charges.The case is believed to be part of the ruling Communist Party's Operation Fox Hunt, an international anti-corruption campaign targeting Chinese fugitives -- often rich individuals suspected of economic crimes. The US Department of Justice said Wednesday the charges included "conspiring to act in the US as illegal agents of the People's Republic of China." Five people have been arrested, while three are believed to be at large in China.In 2016, the group -- which includes an American licensed private investigator -- is alleged to have embarked on an illegal campaign targeting a former Chinese government official, who has lived in the US since 2010. They are accused of recording and harassing his daughter, taping a threatening note to his front door and...
    A former NYPD sergeant is the private eye busted in a Chinese government plot known as “Operation Fox Hunt,” according to his online resume. Michael McMahon, 53, is accused of participating in a multi-year scheme to “threaten, harass, surveil and intimidate” a former Chinese government official living in New Jersey into returning to China to face unspecified criminal charges there. In April 2017, McMahon helped locate and gather intelligence about the ex-official, identified only as “John Doe-1,” and also suggested parking outside his home to “let him know we are there,” according to a criminal complaint filed in Brooklyn federal court. McMahon is a licensed private detective in New Jersey who’s president of the McMahon Investigative Group, according to the Brooklyn US Attorney’s Office, which cited “open source information.” A LinkedIn profile says McMahon that McMahon founded the company in January 2003 and retired as an NYPD sergeant in June...
    NEW YORK -- The Justice Department has charged eight people with working on behalf of the Chinese government in a pressure campaign aimed at coercing a New Jersey man who was wanted by Beijing to return to China to face charges, officials said.Five of the eight were arrested Wednesday, accused of participating in a covert operation that officials say was built on intimidation, bullying and "very disturbing" tactics aimed at pressuring targets sought by Beijing. The other three are believed to be in China.The defendants are accused of participating in a Chinese government operation known as "Fox Hunt" that was ostensibly created to help Beijing locate fugitives abroad for legitimate purposes, but that U.S. officials say in practice has been used to go after dissidents and political opponents."Without coordination with our government, China's repatriation squads enter the United States, surveil and locate the alleged fugitives and deploy intimidation and other...
    Federal prosecutors charged seven Chinese nationals and a former NYPD sergeant on Wednesday with acting illegally as agents of the People’s Republic of China.  The defendants allegedly engaged in a harassment campaign against a Chinese national living in New Jersey who Beijing wanted brought back to mainland China to face prison time.  A government complaint says that the Chinese agents hired a private investigator, Michael McMahon, to surveil the target.  A Justice Department official said that the surveillance effort was part of “Operation Fox Hunt,” a campaign directed by Beijing to track down political opponents and fugitives living in the U.S. and other countries.  Operatives of the Chinese government hired a former New York City police sergeant to surveil and harass a Chinese national living in New Jersey to try to get him to return to mainland China to face a 10-year prison sentence, federal prosecutors alleged in...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has charged eight people with working on behalf of the Chinese government in a pressure campaign aimed at coercing a New Jersey man who was wanted by Beijing to return to China to face charges, officials said. Five of the eight were arrested Wednesday, accused of participating in a covert operation that officials say was built on intimidation, bullying and “very disturbing” tactics aimed at pressuring targets sought by Beijing. The other three are believed to be in China. The defendants are accused of participating in a Chinese government operation known as “Fox Hunt” that was ostensibly created to help Beijing locate fugitives abroad for legitimate purposes, but that U.S. officials say in practice has been used to go after dissidents and political opponents. “Without coordination with our government, China’s repatriation squads enter the United States, surveil and locate the alleged fugitives and deploy...
    By ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has charged eight people with participating in a covert effort on behalf of the Chinese government that aimed to locate Chinese dissidents and others in the U.S. who were wanted by Beijing and coercing them into returning to China. Five of the eight were arrested Wednesday, accused of participating in a covert Chinese operation that officials say was built on intimidation, bullying and “very disturbing” tactics. The other three are believed to be in China. The arrests are among a series of recent actions the Trump administration has taken against China, a country President Donald Trump regards as a prime adversary. In July, for instance, the Justice Department charged hackers working with the Chinese government with targeting firms developing vaccines for the coronavirus and stealing hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of intellectual property and trade secrets from companies...
    FBI Director Christopher Wray and Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers announced an indictment of eight Chinese operatives accused of taking part in a widespread campaign to intimidate and coerce dissidents around the world that has reached U.S. soil. During a Wednesday news conference, Demers stated that the alleged acts were part of China's Operation Fox Hunt, which the Chinese government claims is an international anti-corruption campaign, but the U.S. believes to be a plot to target political opponents and critics. REP. ANDY BIGGS INTRODUCES RESOLUTION BRANDING CHINA 'GREATEST FOREIGN THREAT' TO US “With today’s charges, we have turned the PRC’s Operation Fox Hunt on its head. The hunters became the hunted, the pursuers the pursued," Demers said. Demers said that while Operation Fox Hunt may target legitimate criminal suspects in some cases, in others it is used simply to hunt down and intimidate political rivals and critics. Eastern...
              Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) along with six other Republican Senators sent a letter Tuesday to the College Board (CB) questioning the organization’s relationship with the Chinese-backed Confucius Institutes. In the letter, the senators expressed “concern” about CB’s relationship with the Confucius Institute. The CB is a non-profit organization that administers college placement examines including the SAT and Advanced Placement Program. According to its website, CB works with over 6,000 universities around the world and more than 7 million students yearly. On August 13, the U.S. Department of State designated these Chinese-backed institutes as “a foreign mission of the People’s Republic of China.” The State Department described these institutes as “organizations primarily located on U.S. college and university campuses that push out skewed Chinese language and cultural training for U.S. students as part of Beijing’s multifaceted propaganda efforts.” The State Department also said Confucius...
    By Tom Allard JAKARTA (Reuters) - For months, by Zoom calls and then by jet, Indonesian ministers and officials scoured the world for access to a vaccine for the coronavirus that Southeast Asia's biggest country is struggling to control. This month, their campaign paid off. Three Chinese companies committed 250 million doses of vaccines to the archipelago of 270 million people. A letter of intent was signed with a UK-based company for another 100 million. Absent from these pledges: the United States. Not only was it not promising any vaccine, but months earlier the United States shocked Indonesian officials by asking to land and refuel its spy planes in the territory, four senior Indonesian officials told Reuters. This would reverse a decades-long policy of strategic neutrality in the country. With the U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo due to visit Jakarta on Oct. 29, Washington's campaign to buttress its influence...
    A man wearing a face mask selects clothes at a market in Lusaka, capital of Zambia, on Aug. 18, 2020. Zambia's confirmed COVID-19 cases have continued rising, with the total number close to the 10,000 mark.Xinhua/Martin Mbangweta via Getty Images Zambia has three weeks to improve transparency over its debt obligations and make progress toward an IMF-backed reform package, or risk defaulting on its loans. Last week, a meeting of creditors was adjourned until Nov. 13 after a consortium comprising around 40% of Zambia's Eurobond holders opted to abstain from voting on the country's debt relief proposals, rather than voting them down. Experts suggest bondholders are hoping the government can offer more clarity on its debt, particularly to China, and demonstrate progress toward an IMF program ahead of the Nov. 13 meeting. "However, if no progress is made then there is no reason to suspect that bondholders will soften their...
    SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Bulgaria has joined other Balkan countries in signing an agreement with the United States on high-speed wireless network security aimed at excluding Chinese hardware providers. Bulgaria joined North Macedonia and Kosovo, neighboring nations that also signed the “Clean Network” security agreement on Friday. It is part of a Trump administration effort to exclude tech giant Huawei and other Chinese companies in 5G networks. U.S. government officials have led a campaign across Europe and elsewhere against the inclusion of Huawei, which has been blacklisted for posing a threat to national security and using its technology to spy on behalf of the Chinese government. China argues that the U.S. initiative is driven by commercial concerns. The U.S. Embassy in Sofia said Bulgaria “joins a growing coalition of countries and companies committed to protecting their 5G networks from untrusted vendors.” U.S. Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth Keith...
    SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Bulgaria has joined other Balkan countries in signing an agreement with the United States on high-speed wireless network security aimed at excluding Chinese hardware providers. Bulgaria joined North Macedonia and Kosovo, neighboring nations that also signed the “Clean Network” security agreement on Friday. It is part of a Trump administration effort to exclude tech giant Huawei and other Chinese companies in 5G networks. U.S. government officials have led a campaign across Europe and elsewhere against the inclusion of Huawei, which has been blacklisted for posing a threat to national security and using its technology to spy on behalf of the Chinese government. China argues that the U.S. initiative is driven by commercial concerns. The U.S. Embassy in Sofia said Bulgaria “joins a growing coalition of countries and companies committed to protecting their 5G networks from untrusted vendors.” U.S. Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth...
    US President Trump’s top national security adviser for China appeared to endorse an accusation by The Economist magazine that Beijing’s policies towards Uygurs and other Muslim minority groups in China’s far west Xinjiang region amount to crimes against humanity. In a speech on Friday he delivered in Mandarin, Matthew Pottinger, a deputy national security adviser, described the Chinese government’s detention facilities in Xinjiang – which the UN says are holding one million Uygurs and other Muslim minorities – as concentration camps, and implored China’s citizens to learn for themselves what is happening there. “It is in a spirit of friendship, reflection, and, yes, candour, that I ask friends in China to research the truth about your government’s policies toward the Uygur people and other religious minorities,” he said to a video conference hosted by the think tank Policy Exchange in London. Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global...
    A federal judge in San Francisco blocked an effort from the Justice Department to remove the Chinese app WeChat from American app stores. U.S. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler denied on Friday a DOJ request that she reverse her September decision to block a Commerce Department order that would have required the removals. The Justice Department attempted to present new evidence that the app presents a national security threat. Beeler determined the new information was not enough to change her mind. The DOJ appealed the decision to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, but a decision on the matter is unlikely to come before December. "The record does not support the conclusion that the government has ‘narrowly tailored’ the prohibited transactions to protect its national-security interests," Beeler wrote. She added that the evidence "supports the conclusion that the restrictions 'burden substantially more speech than is necessary to...
    Wisconsin breaks new Covid-19 records as hospitals brace for flu season A 24-year-old engineer created a website that tells you if your McDonalds has a working ice-cream machine China’s Appetite for Beef Is Insatiable, Brazil Producer Says (Bloomberg) -- China will need more beef imports as its demand continues to grow, according to the world’s second-largest producer. While some market watchers have started to question whether Chinese meat imports will continue to increase as the nation’s rebuilding of its pig herd accelerates, Marfrig Global Foods SA says the African swine fever’s effect on China’s beef demand is likely to remain through 2022. After that, demand will keep rising as the rural population moves to cities and China adopts more western eating habits. “Everything suggests the Chinese phenomenon is here to stay,” Miguel Gularte, Marfrig’s chief executive officer, said in an interview. “Each 100-gram gain to China’s per capita consumption...
    A U.S. judge in San Francisco on Friday rejected a Justice Department request to reverse a decision that allowed Apple Inc. and Alphabet Inc.'s Google to continue to offer Chinese-owned WeChat for download in U.S. app stores. U.S. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler said the government's new evidence did not change her opinion about the Tencent app. As it has with Chinese video app TikTok, the Justice Department has argued WeChat threatens national security. WeChat has an average of 19 million daily active users in the United States. It is popular among Chinese students, Americans living in China and Americans who have personal or business relationships in China. WeChat is an all-in-one mobile app that combines services similar to Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Venmo. The app is an essential part of daily life for many in China and boasts more than 1 billion users. The Justice Department has appealed Beeler's decision...
    A judge in California has rejected a request from the Department of Justice to reverse a previous decision allowing WeChat to remain active in US app stores. US Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler said new evidence the government presented did not change her opinion about the messaging app, owned by Chinese company Tencent app. WeChat will remain active in US app stores for the time being. “The record does not support the conclusion that the government has ‘narrowly tailored’ the prohibited transactions to protect its national-security interests,” Beeler wrote in her decision. The evidence “supports the conclusion that the restrictions ‘burden substantially more speech than is necessary to further the government’s legitimate interests.’” President Trump issued an executive order in August to ban WeChat, invoking the Emergency Economic Powers Act and the National Emergencies Act. The administration also sought to ban video sharing app TikTok, owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, on the...
    Pope Francis has extended an agreement with China that governs the nomination of Roman Catholic bishops despite U.S. calls to scrap the pact in response to the persecution of religious minorities. “The Holy See considers the initial application of the Agreement — which is of great ecclesial and pastoral value — to have been positive, thanks to good communication and cooperation between the Parties on the matters agreed upon, and intends to pursue an open and constructive dialogue for the benefit of the life of the Catholic Church and the good of Chinese people,” the Vatican said in a Thursday bulletin. That statement marks the renewal of a two-year interim agreement intended to bring Roman Catholics in China into full communion with Rome, but U.S. officials believe that it gives the Chinese Communist Party “some measure of control” over the Church. The pact turned into a bone of...
    By Sanjeev Miglani and Devjyot Ghoshal NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India is closing in on an agreement with the United States that will give it access to satellite data for better accuracy of missiles and drones, government and industry officials said, as it tries to narrow the gap with the powerful Chinese military. The two sides are expected to announce the pact during the visit next week of U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper for talks in New Delhi with Indian counterparts Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Rajnath Singh. The United States, which antagonised Beijing this week by approving the potential sale of three weapons systems to Taiwan, has also been pushing for stronger security ties with India to help balance China's growing regional influence. U.S. companies have sold India more than $21 billion of weapons since 2007 and Washington has been urging the Indian government to...
    Bradley Cortright October 21, 2020 0 Comments The State Department is taking action against more Chinese media outlets by designating them “foreign missions” and accusing them of publishing propaganda.  In a statement, State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus, “Over the past decade, and particularly under General Secretary Xi Jinping’s tenure, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has asserted greater control over China’s state-backed propaganda outlets while trying to disguise them as independent news agencies.” She noted that Chinese President Xi Jinping said that “Party-owned media must. . . embody the party’s will, safeguard the party’s authority … their actions must be highly consistent with the party.” “While free media around the world are beholden to the truth, PRC media are beholden to the CCP. Today, the United States is publicly recognizing that reality through these designations,” Ortagus added. She said the U.S. is designating Yicai Global, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News,...
    The State Department is designating six additional Chinese media outlets as “foreign missions.” The announcement came on Tuesday after the United States previously designated five Chinese media outlets in February and added four more to the list in June. The media organizations being added on the list are Yicai Global, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News, Social Sciences in China Press, Beijing Review, and Economic Daily. State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said the six outlets meet the burden of being considered foreign missions because they are “substantially owned or effectively controlled” by the Chinese government. Ortagus stressed that the new designations don’t affect the outlets’ ability to publish content but rather allows the U.S. to keep better on the Chinese government’s activities in the U.S. The Foreign Missions Act states the designation entails any mission, agency, or entity in the U.S. "which is involved in the diplomatic,...
    By MATTHEW LEE, AP Diplomatic Writer WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is hitting Chinese media outlets in the U.S. with new restrictions, a move that will further foment tensions in already deteriorating ties between the world’s two largest economies as President Donald Trump seeks to boost his anti-China credentials ahead of November’s election. The measures announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday target Yicai Global, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News, Social Sciences in China Press, Beijing Review, and Economic Daily by requiring them to register as foreign missions, a step that includes making them identify their employees. “They are all substantially owned or controlled by a foreign government,” Pompeo told reporters at a State Department news conference. "We’re not placing any restrictions on what these outlets can publish in the United States. We simply want to ensure that American people, consumers of information, can differentiate between news...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is hitting Chinese media outlets in the U.S. with new restrictions, a move that will further foment tensions in already deteriorating ties between the world’s two largest economies as President Donald Trump seeks to boost his anti-China credentials ahead of November’s election. The measures announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday target Yicai Global, Jiefang Daily, Xinmin Evening News, Social Sciences in China Press, Beijing Review, and Economic Daily by requiring them to register as foreign missions, a step that includes making them identify their employees. “They are all substantially owned or controlled by a foreign government,” Pompeo told reporters at a State Department news conference. “We’re not placing any restrictions on what these outlets can publish in the United States. We simply want to ensure that American people, consumers of information, can differentiate between news written by a free press and...
    The British government sent up to £320 million to Chinese companies with links to the ruling communist party (CCP) during the rush to acquire ventilators and protective gear for healthcare workers in the initial outbreak of the China virus pandemic. The Department for Health and Social Care reportedly inked ten contracts worth £148 million with direct ties to the communist regime in Beijing. The Department for Health in Northern Ireland also sent between £60 to £170 million to the state-backed China Resources firm in June for personal protective equipment (PPE). One of the Chinese companies which raked in millions of British taxpayer money was China Meheco — a subsidiary of the state-owned China General Technology Group — which signed four deals with the UK totalling £18 million in exchange for PPE and ventilators, according to The Telegraph. One of China General Technology Group’s other subsidiaries supplies the Chinese military with weapons...
    Most of the media is ignoring the emails found in Hunter Biden's laptop, but that doesn't mean they aren't news. Joe Biden has an obligation to answer questions about his son's influence-peddling and his own financial dealings -- notably regarding China.  TUCKER CARLSON: AMERICA’S MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE WANT YOU TO SHUT UP ABOUT HUNTER BIDEN The New York Post last week obtained the contents of a laptop purported to belong to Hunter. The Post has been transparent that it obtained its copy of the hard drive from Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, who says he received it from the owner of a Delaware computer-repair shop, where it was abandoned in 2019. Mr. Biden derides this as a "smear campaign," while House Intelligence Chair Adam Schiff calls it without evidence "Russian disinformation."  VideoCLICK HERE TO GET THE OPINION NEWSLETTER Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe says the government has no intelligence to...
    By Philip Pullella ROME (Reuters) - Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said on Wednesday that a controversial deal with Beijing on the appointment of Roman Catholic bishops in China would be renewed. The deal, which was first signed two years ago and expires on Thursday, will be renewed for another two years, he said. Asked by reporters on the sidelines of an event at a Rome university if it was a done deal, Parolin said: "Yes, I can anticipate to you that all will go well." The accord with Beijing gives the pope final say over the appointment of Chinese bishops and the government allows all of them, including those hailing from a state-backed Church, to recognise the pope's authority. The deal has been highly contested by the U.S. State Department and conservative Catholics, who say the Vatican has sold out to the communist government. Parolin said the...
    The Education Department released a report that concluded that top U.S. universities “massively underreported” funding from “foreign adversaries” including China and Russia, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. The department’s probe looked into 12 schools, including Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Georgetown universities, and revealed that most of the schools had financial dealings with Chinese tech giant Huawei, which officials have determined is a threat to U.S. national security. Another school had direct ties to the Chinese Communist Party, while others had deals with the Russian government and institutions in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, the AP reported.  Universities are required to disclose all contracts and gifts from foreign sources that, alone or combined, are $250,000 or more in a calendar year, but the department only recently began enforcing the statute despite it being decades old.  The department described higher-education institutions as “multi-billion dollar, multi-national enterprises using opaque foundations, foreign campuses, and other...
    The Department of Education released a new report on Tuesday with details on its wide-ranging investigation into foreign funding on campus, including specific warnings that U.S. university partnerships with foreign adversaries, most notably China, could pose a risk to national security. “American higher education is a critical human and technological strategic resource. The intellectual dynamism created by our nation’s historic commitment to academic freedom, free inquiry, and free speech on campus has substantially contributed to America’s economic and national security,” the 34-page report from the Education Department’s office of general counsel noted. “Accordingly, for decades, foreign state and non-state actors have devoted significant resources to influence or control teaching and research, to the theft of intellectual property or even espionage, and to the use of American campuses as centers for propaganda operations and other projections of soft power.” The agency argued that “under Secretary Betsy DeVos’ leadership, the...
    Travis Gettys October 20, 2020 5:53PM (UTC) This article originally appeared on Raw Story President Donald Trump's scurrilous attacks on Joe Biden's son could turn the spotlight onto his eldest daughter's shady dealings. Ivanka Trump, who's a senior adviser in the White House alongside her husband Jared Kushner, has been the subject of repeated ethics complaints detailing her alleged corruption, according to The Daily Beast's Dean Obeidallah. : "If Hunter Biden had received a lucrative deal from a foreign country on the very same day his then-vice president father was meeting with the leader of that foreign country, Trump — and many in the media — would be calling that out as sleazy and possibly illegal," Obeidallah writes. "But Ivanka Trump has done that and worse and we don't hear a peep." The non-partisan watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics (CREW) has been tracking Ivanka Trump's unethical conduct back...
    In the same week the British Treasury announced new proposals to help maintain access to physical cash, around 50,000 people in China were handed 200 digital yuan, around £23, each. Much in the way the UK government handed out 'helicopter money' to those eating out to help out in August, China's version last week had the dual objective of pumping some cash into the economy while also encouraging citizens to spend digitally using their smart phones.  The trial of China's digital currency, known as the DCEP, took place in the city of Shenzhen, in the south of China near the border with Hong Kong, last week and was massively oversubscribed with just under 2million people applying to take part. The 2.6 per cent of applicants selected by lottery were given a 'red packet' of 200 yuan each through a state-run mobile app which could be spent in just under 3,400...
    TAIPEI – China and Taiwan traded accusations Monday over a violent altercation that broke out between Chinese diplomats and Taiwan government employees at a recent Taiwan National Day reception in Fiji. Both China and Taiwan confirmed the Oct. 8 incident but each disputed the other’s claim of what precipitated the fight, which resulted in one Taiwanese staffer being sent to a hospital with a head injury. One of the Chinese diplomats also was injured. The confrontation, an extreme example of the tensions between the rival governments, erupted when Taiwanese at the gathering tried to stop Chinese diplomats from taking photos of guests at the reception marking Taiwan’s national day, a Taiwan foreign ministry spokeswoman, Joanne Ou, said in a written statement. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly condemns the Chinese embassy in Fiji’s staff‘s actions which severely violates rule of law and norms of civilized behavior,” said...
    By HUIZHONG WU, Associated Press TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — A fight broke out between Chinese diplomats and Taiwanese government employees at a reception in Fiji to mark Taiwan's national day, the Taiwanese foreign ministry said Monday, in a display of rising tension between the rival governments over diplomatic recognition. The confrontation erupted when the Taiwanese tried to stop Chinese diplomats from taking photos of guests at the Oct. 8 event, said a ministry spokeswoman, Joanne Ou, in a written statement. She said a Taiwanese employee was taken to a hospital with a head wound while police took away the Chinese diplomats. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly condemns the Chinese embassy in Fiji's staff‘s actions which severely violates rule of law and norms of civilized behavior,” said Ou. She said Taiwan made a formal protest to the Fiji government. China's foreign ministry didn't immediately respond to request for comment. China...
    TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — A fight broke out between Chinese diplomats and Taiwanese government employees at a reception in Fiji to mark Taiwan’s national day, the Taiwanese foreign ministry said Monday, in a display of rising tension between the rival governments over diplomatic recognition. The confrontation erupted when the Taiwanese tried to stop Chinese diplomats from taking photos of guests at the Oct. 8 event, said a ministry spokeswoman, Joanne Ou, in a written statement. She said a Taiwanese employee was taken to a hospital with a head wound while police took away the Chinese diplomats. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly condemns the Chinese embassy in Fiji’s staff‘s actions which severely violates rule of law and norms of civilized behavior,” said Ou. She said Taiwan made a formal protest to the Fiji government. China’s foreign ministry didn’t immediately respond to request for comment. China is stepping up pressure...
    The Chinese government has warned the United States that it may begin to detain Americans in response to the U.S. Justice Department's prosecution of Chinese military-affiliated scholars, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. Chinese officials reportedly issued multiple warnings to U.S. government representatives through the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and other channels, as reported in the WSJ. The Chinese officials cautioned that they may arrest Americans currently residing in the country if U.S. officials don't drop charges against the country's scholars. The Wall Street Journal's sources for the report are from unnamed people familiar with the matter. When asked about the report, the White House referred questions to the State Department, which responded to Reuters in an emailed statement that said, "To the Chinese government — including at the highest levels — our concern about China's coercive use of exit bans on U.S. citizens and...