Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 12:59:45
1000 results - (0.013 seconds)

Biden ’s first:

Joe Biden is squarely in the middle of a major foreign policy test as president, and while it has gone largely unremarked inside the U.S., the Middle East is watching closely to see how he responds to an attack on U.S. forces. Monday night, as many as 24 rockets were fired at a U.S. military base at Erbil International Airport, in the capital of the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The attacked, almost certainly launched by an Iran-backed militia, wounded an American soldier, killed one non-U.S. contractor and wounded five others. Three local civilians were also wounded. Earlier this year, I argued that a new President Biden might face just such a challenge early in his administration. Iran wanted to avenge the assassination of Qassem Soleimani in early January 2020 but I suggested that rather than provoking an outgoing Donald Trump, that it might choose instead to put his replacement...
    Hi, MarketWatchers. Don’t miss these top stories:Personal Finance‘Long overdue’: Debate over reparations for Black Americans reignites on Capitol Hill 'Now more than ever, the facts and circumstances facing our nation demonstrate the importance of H.R. 40,’ said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, lead sponsor of a bill that could create a commission to study reparations for Black Americans. I racked up debt to help my mother buy a home, car and pay household bills. I don’t even have my own car. How do I extricate myself from this financial commitment? ‘She is in her late 50s and it has been difficult for her to find a job. Currently, she is earning money as a care giver and doing odd jobs to get by.’My boyfriend, who’s 9 years younger, says he won’t move out of my house if I die before him. My adult children are not amused ‘He has done extensive...
    National Review The Dishonesty of Biden’s COVID Messaging After a campaign in which Joe Biden expressed supreme confidence that he could bring an end to, or at least substantially curb the damage wrought by, the coronavirus pandemic, his administration’s handling of the pandemic has left much to be desired. Rewind back to last fall. Biden was giving speeches about how while he trusted vaccines in general, he didn’t trust Donald Trump, and was thus skeptical of the coronavirus vaccines in particular. Biden’s running mate, then-senator Kamala Harris, said that she’d be hesitant to take a vaccine that came out during Trump’s term. When pressed about whether she would do so if Dr. Anthony Fauci and other reputable health authorities endorsed it, she doubled down: “They’ll be muzzled; they’ll be suppressed.” By December, it was clear that the vaccines were in fact on the brink of FDA approval, and that by...
    President Joe Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke Wednesday afternoon for the first time since the president took office in January, discussing the long-standing U.S.-Israel relationship and the two nations’ shared interests throughout the Middle East. Biden said the call was a “good conversation,” according to a pool report. Netanyahu described the call as “friendly and warm” on Twitter, adding that it lasted about an hour. “The two leaders noted their long-standing personal connection and said they would work together to further strengthen the strong alliance between Israel and the United States,” he added. “The President affirmed his personal history of steadfast commitment to Israel’s security and conveyed his intent to strengthen all aspects of the U.S.-Israel partnership, including our strong defense cooperation,” a White House readout of the call said. “Together, the leaders discussed the importance of continued close consultation on regional security issues, including Iran. The...
    DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei demanded "action, not words" from the United States if it wants to revive Tehran's 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, challenging new U.S. President Joe Biden to take the first step toward a thaw.   Iran has set a deadline of next week for Biden to begin reversing sanctions imposed by his predecessor, Donald Trump, or it will take its biggest step yet to breach the deal — banning short-notice inspections by the U.N. nuclear watchdog.   "We have heard many nice words and promises, which in practice have been broken and opposite actions have been taken," Khamenei said in a televised speech. "Words and promises are no good. This time [we want] only action from the other side, and we will also act."   The United States on Wednesday urged Tehran to reverse and refrain from steps...
    When President Joe Biden said Tuesday he was "prepared to write off" $10,000 in student loan debt, but not $50,000, he delivered a gut punch to the many young voters who turned out in historic numbers last November and heavily favored Democrats by a 2-to-1 margin. Democratic Sens. Chuck Schumer and Elizabeth Warren have been pushing for the cancellation of $50,000 in student loan debt via executive order—a power they argue is within Biden's discretion because the Higher Education Act of 1965 authorizes the U.S. Secretary of Education to cancel student loans. But when Biden was asked Tuesday night at a CNN town hall if he would commit to cancelling $50,000 in debt, he answered, "I will not make that happen." Instead, Biden said he was open to cancelling up to $10,000 in debt through legislation.  "I understand the impact of debt, and it can be debilitating,” he said, noting...
    Musician Kelly Clarkson will interview First Lady Jill Biden, making it Biden’s first solo interview as first lady, Deadline reported Wednesday. “I’m going to the White House y’all,” Clarkson said in a Wednesday Twitter video. “First Lady Dr. Jill Biden and I are hanging on ‘The Kelly Clarkson Show.’ I’m so excited. Tune in February 25th.” (RELATED: Here’s Everything You Need To Know From The Bidens’ Interview With People Magazine) We’re going to the White House, y’all! Tune in next Thursday, February 25th as Kelly sits down with the First Lady, Dr. Jill Biden on The Kelly Clarkson Show! #FLOTUSonKELLY @FLOTUS pic.twitter.com/bdCg9rfkMs — The Kelly Clarkson Show (@KellyClarksonTV) February 17, 2021 Host Kelly Clarkson performs onstage at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images for dcp) Clarkson and Biden will talk about uniting the...
    “The discussion was warm, friendly and lasted about an hour,” Netanyahu said on his official Twitter account, adding that he addressed the issues of the Middle East peace “accords”, the “Iranian threat” and management of the Covid-19 pandemic. The United States is the Hebrew state’s first ally. And Benjamin Netanyahu had called Joe Biden’s predecessor in the White House, Donald Trump, “best friend” that Israel had never had at the head of the first world power. But nearly a month after arriving at the White House on January 20, Joe Biden still had not spoken to Mr. Netanyahu, which sparked controversy in the Israeli press as the news broke. US administration is taking its marks. Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations under Donald Trump, accused the Biden administration of “snubbing” a “friend like Israel”. Asked why Mr. Biden had still not called him, almost a month after...
    Reuters February 17, 2021 0 Comments Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. President Joe Biden held a long-awaited first phone call on Wednesday after a delay that had seen Washington deny it was snubbing Israel’s leader. There had been speculation that the Democratic president was signalling displeasure over the conservative Netanyahu’s close ties with former President Donald Trump, who called the right-wing leader two days after his inauguration in 2017. Biden has spoken with about a dozen other world leaders since taking office on Jan. 20. The White House had said that Netanyahu would be the first Middle East leader he would call. Biden and Netanyahu spoke for about an hour on issues including Iran and Israel’s budding relations with Arab and Muslim countries in the region, Netanyahu’s office said in a statement. “President Biden and Prime Minister Netanyahu discussed the continuation of peace agreements, the Iranian threat...
    President Joe Biden promised that most elementary schools in America will be open five days a week after their first 100 days in office. The government had received criticism when its collaborators said that a school would be considered open if it held face-to-face classes once a week. Miami World / APNews Biden’s remarks, during a popular assembly in Milwaukee broadcast by CNN Tuesday night, were the clearest to date on the reopening of schools. In December, Biden promised to reopen “most of our schools” in its first 100 days, but that goal has since been questioned as school districts each operate under their own virtual and face-to-face devices. “I said open most schools from preschool through eighth grade because they are the easiest to open and the most necessary in terms of impact on stay-at-home children and their families,” Biden said. He said the statements by White House press...
    President BidenJoe BidenBiden balks at K student loan forgiveness plan Biden offers to help woman in obtaining vaccine for son with preexisting condition Biden optimistic US will be in 'very different circumstance' with pandemic by Christmas MORE spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin NetanyahuBenjamin (Bibi) NetanyahuMORE on Wednesday, according to the Israeli leader’s office, marking the first conversation between the two leaders since Biden took office last month.  “Tonight, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with US President Joe Biden,” Netanyahu tweeted Wednesday afternoon. “The conversation was very friendly and warm and lasted about an hour. The two leaders noted their long-standing personal connection and said they would work together to further strengthen the strong alliance between Israel and the United States.” The White House, which has not yet issued a readout of the phone call, said Tuesday that Netanyahu would be Biden’s first call with a leader in the Middle...
    Kelly Clarkson has been waiting a lifetime for a moment like this. The Texas-born singer will sit down with first lady Jill Biden for her first solo broadcast interview since President Biden assumed office in January. The "socially distant" interview, slated for an NBC daytime television spot, will take place later this month and air on Thursday, Feb. 25, according to a press release. Biden will join Clarkson on the traveling set of Emmy Award-winning talk show The Kelly Clarkson Show in the East Room of the White House. During the interview spot, the first lady will join Clarkson and musical director Jason Halbert to participate in a "special Kellyoke" performance. We’re going to the White House, y’all! Tune in next Thursday, February 25th as Kelly sits down with the First Lady, Dr. Jill Biden on The Kelly Clarkson Show! #FLOTUSonKELLY @FLOTUS pic.twitter.com/bdCg9rfkMs— The Kelly Clarkson Show (@KellyClarksonTV) February...
    The Secretary General of NATO, the Norwegian Jens Stoltenberg, survived by tacking the missiles launched by Donald Trump against the politico-military organization. “Now we are looking into the future,” he pleads. EUnited States, the return! The new Biden administration formally signaled on Wednesday its intention to resume its full place – that of “leadership” – within NATO, after four years of incredible philippics led by former President Trump. New US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin’s “first priority” has been to confirm Joe Biden’s message over the past few days, senior Pentagon officials said at the start of a defense ministers video conference of the 30 countries of the Atlantic Alliance, this Wednesday and Thursday – the first transatlantic reunion since the handover of power in Washington. Namely: “Diplomacy and working with our allies and partners is the basis of our global power and collective...
    Jill BidenJill BidenFree community college requires new paths to four-year institutions Biden plays Mario Kart with granddaughter at Camp David Biden pens Valentine's Day post to wife MORE is sitting down with Kelly Clarkson at the White House for her first solo TV interview since President BidenJoe BidenBiden balks at K student loan forgiveness plan Biden offers to help woman in obtaining vaccine for son with preexisting condition Biden optimistic US will be in 'very different circumstance' with pandemic by Christmas MORE took office. The first lady will play host to Clarkson at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for a "White House edition" of Clarkson's eponymous daytime talk show, Biden's spokesman said Wednesday. The interview will air on Clarkson's show on Feb. 25. "I'm going to the White House, ya'll!" Clarkson exclaimed in a video announcing the booking on Twitter. "I'm so excited," the former "American Idol" and Grammy winner said. ...
    Former President TrumpDonald TrumpBiden: 'I'm tired of talking about Trump' Hacker claims to have stolen files from law firm tied to Trump: WSJ Texas governor faces criticism over handling of winter storm fallout MORE on Wednesday vented frustration with the Republican establishment, saying many in the GOP did not fight hard enough for him. Speaking on Fox News in his first interview since leaving office, Trump reiterated his false claim that he won the election against President BidenJoe BidenBiden balks at K student loan forgiveness plan Biden offers to help woman in obtaining vaccine for son with preexisting condition Biden optimistic US will be in 'very different circumstance' with pandemic by Christmas MORE by a large margin. "I think we won substantially ... You would have had riots going all over the place if that happened to a Democrat,” Trump said. “We don't have the same support at certain levels...
    Here’s what’s happening Wednesday with the coronavirus pandemic in the U.S.: THREE THINGS TO KNOW TODAY — The White House said the U.S. is vaccinating some 1.7 million people per day, up from under 1 million a month ago. New figures from the White House show the steady increase in the pace of vaccinations over President Joe Biden’s first month in office. The data comes from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Much of the uptick comes from people receiving their second dose of the approved vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer. The pace of first dose vaccinations has been largely steady over the past several weeks, hovering around an average of 900,000 shots per day. Biden is on track to blow past his goal of 100 million injections in his first 100 days in office — though the pace must pick up even further to meet his plans to...
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- President Joe Biden said that he expects all Americans will be able to get two doses of the COVID vaccine by the end of July.But, there are some short-term speed bumps in the race to vaccinate the country.Moderna is now reporting a production delay with a contractor, but the company insists it will be resolved quickly.A bigger concern may be with Johnson & Johnson, whose vaccine has not yet been approved. The company is now reducing its initial vaccine-supply estimates, forcing Dr. Anthony Fauci to push back his timeline on when vaccines will be available to all Americans."It may take until June, July, and August to finally get everyone vaccinated," he said.What to know about coronavirus:Tracking COVID-19 availability and progress in NYCNew Jersey COVID-19 Vaccine TrackerFind out if you are eligible and where you can go to get your vaccineCoronavirus by zip code - New York...
    The ‘audacious lie’ behind a hedge fund’s promise to sustain local journalism New head of Merkels CDU misfires with pandemic comments By David Callaway, Callaway Climate Insights https://twitter.com/greentechmedia/status/1361440906096889860 © Provided by 24/7 Wall St. Yet more deadly winter weather is forecast for hard-hit Texas, Oklahoma and the southeast Tuesday night, bringing record low temperatures and significant snow accumulation, the National Weather Service said. Load Error Global warming threats are typically no match for a record cold spell, and often the scapegoat, as we’re seeing today in Texas and the mid-U.S. But make no mistake, this is a climate disaster, and the failure of the Texas grid — dwarfing that of California this past summer — dramatically underscores the fact that we are not ready. Texas, legendary home to the oil industry, is actually the U.S. leader in renewable energy. On a good day, wind and solar...
    The White House has not yet scheduled a date for President Biden to deliver his first address to a joint session of Congress -- even though the president had suggested it would take place this month. Presidents have traditionally given a speech to Congress during their first year in office, often in February. An address to a joint session of Congress is like a State of the Union, though it technically is not called that until the president’s second year in office. FLASHBACK: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: TRUMP'S ADDRESS TO JOINT SESSION OF CONGRESS Biden suggested last month he would discuss his coronavirus agenda during an address this month. "Next month, in my first appearance before a joint session of Congress, I will lay out my ‘Build Back Better’ recovery plan," Biden said on Jan. 14. But White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Tuesday told reporters that while the president "looks forward"...
    MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- President Joe Biden would only commit to a return to normal by next Christmas during a CNN town hall on Tuesday, saying he did not want to boost Americans' hopes when he could not be certain of a still-early vaccine rollout.The prediction of nearly another year in pandemic-dampened conditions was admittedly not optimistic. But Biden still said it was as good as he could offer with any level of confidence."As my mother would say, with the grace of God and the goodwill of the neighbors, that by next Christmas I think we'll be in a very different circumstance, God willing, than we are today," Biden said. "A year from now, I think that there'll be significantly fewer people having to be socially distanced, having to wear a mask."He added: "I don't want to over promise anything here."Speaking during his first outing from Washington after nearly a month...
    Reuters February 17, 2021 0 Comments Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei demanded “action, not words” from the United States if it wants to revive Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, the latest challenge to new President Joe Biden to take the first step towards a thaw. Tehran has set a deadline of next week for Biden to begin reversing sanctions imposed by his predecessor Donald Trump, or Iran will take its biggest step yet to violate the nuclear deal — banning short notice inspections by the U.N. nuclear watchdog. ” Words and promises are no good. This time (we want) only action from the other side, and we will also act,” Khamenei said in a televised speech. Biden aims to restore the pact under which Iran agreed to curbs on its nuclear programme in return for the lifting of sanctions, a major achievement of the Obama administration...
    WASHINGTON — President Biden on Tuesday said his White House press secretary Jen Psaki was wrong when she said his school reopening plan would only see half of the children back in classrooms for as little as one day per week. Biden addressed the political furor sparked by those remarks at a live CNN town hall in Milwaukee, Wis. where he said he wanted full school reopening by the end of his first 100 days in office, predicting there would even be districts where they might institute a full summer school semester. “That’s not true. There was a mistake in the communication,” Biden told CNN anchor Anderson Cooper when asked about the scaled-back one-day-per week goal. Biden said he would be “close to” meeting his goal of reopening the majority of K-8 schools by the end of April. “We’ve had a significant percentage of them being able to be...
    MILWAUKEE - President Joe Biden is promising a majority of elementary schools will be open five days a week by the end of his first 100 days in office, restating his goal after his administration came under fire when aides said schools would be considered open if they held in-person learning just one day a week.  Biden's comments, during a CNN town hall in Milwaukee, marked his clearest statement yet on school reopenings. Biden had pledged in December to reopen "the majority of our schools" in his first 100 days but has since faced increasing questions about how he would define and achieve that goal, with school districts operating under a patchwork of different virtual and in-person learning arrangements nationwide. Joel Balcita comforts his daughter Sadie just before she starts her first day of grade 1 at P.S. 130 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, Sep. 29, 2020."I said open...
    Shortly after he became president, Gerald Ford popped some English muffins into a toaster in a second-floor White House kitchen--in full view of a phalanx of photographers. This breakfast moment produced a wave of stories about how Jerry was a regular guy, genial and unassuming, not like the dark and imperious Richard Nixon--exactly as the accidental president had intended. He wanted to signal a return to normalcy after what he called the national nightmare of Watergate. Now the press is giving the Bidens the English-muffin treatment. And the goal is as obvious as it was 46 years ago--in this case to paint a highly flattering comparison with the Trumps. Now it’s true that Joe Biden is a warm and empathetic person who thrives on human contact, regardless of what you think of his politics or his fledgling presidency. I’ve observed him in enough situations over the decades I’ve covered him--such...
    For the first time this year no state in the country saw more than 10,000 new COVID-19 cases across a seven-day average, it was reported on Tuesday, in the latest encouraging sign in pandemic progress. The COVID Tracking Project found that every single state is showing a decline in numbers compared to January. New York, California, Florida and Texas remained the hardest-hit states - but all had fewer than 10,000 new cases, on average, across the last seven days. An 89-year-old woman in South Central Los Angeles receives her vaccination on Tuesday A vaccine is readied in Chelsea, Massachusetts on Tuesday as a nationwide program continues The seven-day average of deaths is at its lowest level this year, in encouraging news RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Biden promises a vaccine for all Americans who want one by... Mardi gone! Images show...
    (CNN)The Biden administration is relishing the chance to put its new-and-improved distribution program on display with the release of the forthcoming Johnson & Johnson vaccine, but problems are threatening a smooth rollout -- including a slower-than-expected production timeline and a lack of information about when and how the shots will made available. Several state officials and health providers tell CNN they're mostly in the dark about how the distribution will work. And due to a miscommunication over the production, CNN has learned the launch will be slower than federal health officials initially anticipated.More doses, fewer blind spots: What states say they want from the federal government on vaccinesThe administration is still expecting single-digit millions of doses if the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration. Government officials initially thought that number would ramp up to between 20 or 30 million doses by...
    Joe Biden is trying very hard to be president while much of the rest of the political class is still fighting the race he already won. In his first such event of his presidency, Biden took questions at a network town hall Tuesday night and went full-on policy nerd and grandpa-in-chief, fielding questions on everything from getting a vaccine to (not) defunding the police to when and how to reopen schools. He rejected the idea of "defunding" the police, saying more money needed to be spent to have better community policing – including making sure people of color were not presumed to be criminals. He said public defenders should be paid the same as prosecutors and talked about quashing "prosecutorial discretion" that leads to low-income Black people getting talked into pleas because they can't afford good representation. He said all Americans will have access to a vaccine for COVID-19 by...
    US President Joe Biden participates in a CNN town hall at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 16, 2021.SAUL LOEB | AFP | Getty Images President Joe Biden tried to avoid dwelling on his predecessor, former President Donald Trump, as he delivered a public-facing sales pitch for Congress to quickly pass his massive coronavirus relief bill. "I'm tired of talking about Donald Trump. I don't want to talk about him anymore," Biden said Tuesday night during a CNN town hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "For four years, all that's been in the news is Trump," Biden said at another point. "For the next four years, I wanna make sure the news is the American people." Biden's visit to the Badger State, his first official trip as president, came as House Democrats gear up to pass the $1.9 trillion Covid relief package before the end of February. The president, peppered with...
    During a town hall on CNN on Tuesday, President Joe Biden stated that he thinks we will be “close to” having the majority of K-8 schools back five days a week at the end of his first 100 days in office. Host Anderson Cooper asked, “Well, let me ask you — your administration had set a goal to open the majority of schools in your first 100 days. You’re now saying that means those schools may only be open for at least one day a week –.” Biden then cut in to say, “No, that’s not true. That’s what was reported. That’s not true. It was a mistake in the communication. But what I’m talking about is I said opening the majority of schools in K through 8th grade. Because they’re the easiest to open, the most needed to be open in terms of the impact on children and families...
    President Biden will sign immigration bills that don't create a pathway to citizenship for the country's roughly 11 million illegal immigrants, but it's still a priority for his administration. Biden was pressed Tuesday on whether he would give his presidential approval to an immigration measure that came across his desk even if it didn't provide citizenship opportunities as he and congressional Democrats prepare to release a proposal this week. “Yeah, there’s a whole range of things that relate to immigration," Biden told CNN during a televised town hall. Biden specifically referenced reforms he has enacted regarding refugees and asylum seekers, as well as more changes he'd like to make. Biden, for instance, is planning to increase refugee admissions from former President Donald Trump's record-low cap of 15,000 to 62,500 from October 2020. This week, his administration will permit 25,000 asylum seekers with active cases under Trump's “Remain in Mexico”...
    President Joe Biden said during a CNN town hall on Tuesday that he inherited difficult circumstances for the coronavirus vaccination rollout because former President Donald Trump “wasted so much time.” Anchor Anderson Cooper asked, “Are you concerned about the rollout of this online? Because it has been incredibly confusing for a lot of people, not just, you know, older people, it’s younger people just trying to find a place to get a vaccine.” Biden said, “Yes, I have because look at what we inherited. We inherited a circumstance here where, now for the first — we did a lot in the first two weeks, a circumstance where, number one, there weren’t many vaccinators. You didn’t know where you could go get a vaccine administered to you because there was no one to put it in your arm, number one.” He continued, “Number two, there was very little federal guidance as...
    More On: joe biden Team Biden is still pushing blatant lies about the Trump vaccine plan Veep Kamala Harris takes foreign calls on behalf of Biden Biden repeats Obama’s mistakes by dissing Israel: Goodwin The Times dilemma and other commentary WASHINGTON — President Biden on Tuesday said his White House press secretary Jen Psaki was wrong when she said his school reopening plan would only see half of the children back in classrooms for as little as one day per week. Biden addressed the political furor sparked by those remarks at a live CNN town hall in Milwaukee, Wis. where he said he wanted full school reopening by the end of his first 100 days in office, predicting there would even be districts where they might institute a full summer school semester. “That’s not true. There was a mistake in the communication,” Biden told CNN anchor Anderson Cooper when...
    President BidenJoe BidenMcConnell doesn't rule out getting involved in Republican primaries Perdue files paperwork to explore 2022 Senate run Hillicon Valley: Parler announces official relaunch | Google strikes news pay deal with major Australian media company | China central to GOP efforts to push back on Biden MORE clarified Tuesday that his goal is to have the majority of K-8 schools physically reopened five days a week by the end of his first 100 days in office as the U.S. grapples with the coronavirus pandemic. “I think we’ll be close to that at the end of the first 100 days,” Biden said during a CNN town hall in Milwaukee, Wis., Tuesday evening. “The goal will be five days a week.” Biden disputed the notion that his goal was to have most schools open for at least one day of in-person learning each week, calling it a “mistake in the communication.”...
    President Joe Biden said he believed a majority of kindergarteners through eighth graders would be back in school five days a week by the tail end of his first 100 days in office.   Biden said at a CNN town hall Tuesday night that reports about the aim being for students to be in school just once a week was 'a mistake in the communication.' 'But what I'm talking about is, I said opening the majority of schools in K through eighth grade, because they're the easiest to open and the most needed to be opened in terms of the impact on children and families having to stay home,' Biden explained.    President Joe Biden said his administration's goal is to get K through eighth graders back in school five days a week by the end of his first 100 days in office  He said he believed 'it will be close to...
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki pushed back on the idea that President Joe Biden would deliver an address to Congress in February, despite the president himself previewing the timing of the speech. “Next month, in my first appearance before a joint session of Congress, I will lay out my Build Back Better recovery plan,” Biden read from prepared remarks on January 14 in a speech to the nation about fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Typically an American president delivers his first address to Congress in February after the presidential election. Former President Donald Trump’s first address to Congress took place on February 28, 2017. Asked by reporters about the timing of Biden’s speech, Psaki denied that the date had ever been set for February. “We don’t know where the Feb. 23rd date came from,” she replied. “It’s a great mystery. I’ve not Nancy Drew’d that one out today, but it...
    Leaving Donald Trump and his impeachment in the rearview mirror, Joe Biden embarked late Tuesday on his first official trip as president to refocus Congress on coronavirus relief and cement public support for his $1.9 trillion aid package. With his prime-time moment — a prime-time CNN town hall in Milwaukee — the new president is attempting to build pressure on Republican lawmakers to get behind the massive relief package that White House officials say already has broad public support. The stepped-up public push comes with the House expected to vote next week. “The vast majority of the American people like what they see in this package," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said as she previewed Bidens sales effort. She added that the support in opinion polls “should be noted by members of Congress as they consider whether they’re going to vote for it or not." Biden’s trip to Wisconsin,...
    (CNN)President Joe Biden, no longer encumbered by his predecessor's impeachment trial and eager to seize the national spotlight, will bring the case for his massive coronavirus relief plan to the country on Tuesday when he participates in a CNN town hall at 9 p.m. ET in Milwaukee.Biden's first work trip outside Washington since taking office signals his intent on making a public sales pitch for his agenda after spending nearly a month in the shadow of the impeachment proceedings, which ended in acquittal on Saturday. Aides say the President, known for his outgoing style with voters, has been eager to escape the White House. White House aides insist his $1.9 trillion proposal is popular with a wide swath of Americans, including Republicans, even though Biden has not secured support from any GOP senators for the plan. By taking his pitch on the road, and fielding questions from Americans, they hope...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Leaving Donald Trump and his impeachment in the rearview mirror, Joe Biden is embarking on his first official trip as president to refocus Congress on coronavirus relief and to cement public support for his $1.9 trillion aid package. With his prime-time moment — a Tuesday evening CNN town hall in Milwaukee — the new president is attempting to build pressure on Republican lawmakers to get behind the massive relief package that White House officials say already has broad public support. The stepped-up public push comes with the House expected to vote next week. “The vast majority of the American people like what they see in this package,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said as she previewed Biden’s sales effort. She added that the support in opinion polls “should be noted by members of Congress as they consider whether they’re going to vote for it or not.”...
    The White House is postponing plans for President Biden to address a joint session of Congress to unveil the second phase of a coronavirus recovery plan as it continues to work on a massive relief bill. Last month, Biden said he would appear before Congress in February to set out his “Build Back Better" recovery plan. But on Tuesday, when asked about the timing, his press secretary Jen Psaki said there had never been a plan for him to address a joint session this month. "We don't know where the Feb. 23 date came from. It's a great mystery,” she said during the regular daily briefing. “I've not Nancy Drewed that one out today, but it was never planned to be in February, and we don't have a date for a joint session at this point," Psaki said, comparing herself to the popular character in a series of children's...
    To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw  To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.   The Hill’s 12:30 Report: Biden’s first official trip as president | Visits Milwaukee tonight | Participates in CNN town hall | Extends mortgage relief through June | Biden transitions from post-Trump to his own agenda | How scientists saved FDA from Trump politics | Fauci worried about getting COVID in Trump White House | Pelosi calls for 9/11-style commission for Jan. 6 attack | 2020 tax filing expected to be challenging | Delayed National Pancake Day celebration at IHOP   INTERESTING READ Fascinating behind-the-scenes look — How scientists intervened to help save the vaccine process from political pressure:  Via The Hill’s Reid Wilson, Remember in August when former President TrumpDonald TrumpMichigan...
    President Joe Biden makes his first official trip outside of Washington D.C. on Tuesday when he heads to Milwaukee for a CNN town hall to tout his domestic agenda. His focus will be on promoting his $1.9 trillion COVID relief plan, which is making its way through Congress. Republicans oppose its high cost while Democrats argue the massive amount of aid is necessary to combat the economic price of the pandemic.   Biden's focus is on the Midwest this week, to states that make up the critical 'blue wall' of blue-collar voters who handed Biden the White House. In addition to Wisconsin on Tuesday, he'll visit Michigan on Thursday, where he'll tour a Pfizer manufacturing facility producing the COVID-19 vaccine. Donald Trump carried both states in 2016 but Biden won them back for Democrats in 2020 - albeit by small margins. He'll need both states again in 2024. President Joe...
    (CNN Business)A version of this article first appeared in the "Reliable Sources" newsletter. You can sign up for free right here. "We're back," Mark Preston said on the phone from Wisconsin Monday night. "The CNN town halls are back."President Biden will be fielding questions from Wisconsinites at a CNN town hall Tuesday at 9 p.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. local time. It is, as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel noted in this preview piece, one of Biden's "first official stops since taking office."Viewers are accustomed to televised town halls with candidates -- but such events with presidents occur much less often. The broadcast will give Biden a global forum to set the post-Trump agenda and promote his Covid-19 relief proposal.Read MoreCNN's Anderson Cooper will moderate the town hall and ask some of his own questions, but CNN's past town halls have prioritized audience interaction, and that's the plan for Tuesday's event as...
    The Pentagon, in the three weeks that Joe Biden has been president, has turned the department’s attention from outside threats towards potential threats from inside the military. Former President Donald Trump’s first military priorities were to rebuild the military, defeat the Islamic State, and focus on the threat from China. For this, he chose retired Marine Gen. Jim Mattis as his first defense secretary. Trump’s first military-related executive orders were to rebuild the armed forces and to establish new vetting measures to keep “radical Islamic terrorists” out of the U.S. — which critics panned as a “Muslim ban.” President Joe Biden, in contrast, while continuing the focus on China, has taken a number of actions to promote social justice inside the Pentagon. His first military-related executive order was to overturn Trump’s transgender policy. Biden chose retired Army Gen. Lloyd Austin as his defense secretary, the first African American to serve...
    Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a Nigerian economist, was appointed on Monday as the first woman and the first African to lead the World Trade Organization following an endorsement from President Biden. The 66-year-old, now the director general of the global agency, will determine the rules and regulations pertaining to the international trade agreements of 164 member nations. Okonjo-Iweala will assume her post in the beginning of March. Okonjo-Iweala, who said the organization is in need of "wide-ranging reforms," plans to tackle coronavirus-related economic issues by lifting restrictions on supplies and vaccinations. She also seeks to reform trade disputes after former President Donald Trump gained notoriety for imposing tariffs on China and the European Union to bolster deals that favored the interests of the United States. “It will not be easy because we also have the issue of lack of trust among members, which has built up over time, not just...
    President Joe Biden on Monday wrapped up his visit to Camp David with wife Jill and other family members, after spending the weekend celebrating Valentine's Day and playing Mario Kart. The president and first lady hopped a short, 28-minute flight from Hagerstown, Maryland, to Joint Base Andrews after spending the long holiday weekend at the presidential retreat in the hills of Catoctin Mountain Park, in Frederick County, Maryland.  President Joe Biden decked out in presidential gear - Air Force One aviator jacket with his name on it and a Camp David cap Biden was decked out in presidential gear for the trip, wearing a brown aviator jacket with the Air Force One Seal on one side and a name plate reading 'Joe Biden Commander in Chief' on the other.  He also wore a hat given to him by his grandchildren. The front side of the brown baseball cap says 'Presidential...
    Sony Playstation 5 : Anyone who has tried to play something with members of their family who are not usually used to having a controller in their hands will have noticed that many of the Nintendo games are especially accessible to them. Specifically Mario Kart 8 Deluxe triumphs among those who do not have expertise with this video game, something that apparently the granddaughter of Joe Biden, President of the United States. And it is that the recently elected president of the North American country has just made his first visit to Camp David, a regular official retreat for American leaders, and has taken his family with him. Among the members who have accompanied the president is Naomi biden, granddaughter of the prime minister and responsible for having uploaded to Instagram a video in which you can see Joe Biden playing a Mario Kart arcade machine. Although it is...
    President Biden has embarked on an ambitious agenda for his first 100 days in office, facing the challenge of ramping up vaccine distribution during the pandemic and providing financial assistance to millions of struggling Americans. His $1.9 trillion Covid relief package has been advancing in congressional committees, which are fleshing out the details. The House Ways and Means Committee has passed part of the package that includes $1,400 checks for many Americans. The checks would go to individuals who earn less than $75,000 a year and under $150,000 for couples. The legislation would also boost federal unemployment benefits from $300 to $400 a week and expand the child tax credit. The child tax credit would provide most families with $3,000 a year for each child between the ages of 6 and 17. The amount would be $3,600 for each child under 6. The legislation is moving forward under the process...
    New York : Before a Divided Congress, union activists have expressed concern that the president Joe biden can’t keep your promise to increase minimum salary. For the union activist, Terrence WiseThat is frustrating and worrying for the working class that the minimum wage is stagnant. “To have it so close to the door, they need to do it … They need to feel pressure,” Wise said, according to an AP news agency publication. Wise is a department manager at a branch of McDonald’s in Kansas Citand, and is a national leader of Fight for $ 15, an organized labor movement, which emerged in 2012. Biden already sent the proposal to increase the minimum wage And it is that despite the fact that President Biden has already sent his proposal to increase the minimum salary, faces a divided Congress.And this is precisely what has raised concern in...
    President BidenJoe BidenWinter storm batters southern US Biden pens Valentine's Day post to wife Biden plans to focus on coronavirus in first G7 meeting MORE has joined the scores of people who turned to Mario Kart to stay entertained during the pandemic — at least for one game with his granddaughter.    Naomi Biden posted on Snapchat this weekend that she and her grandfather played an arcade-style game round of Mario Kart at Camp David over the weekend, and he won. "Secret Service made an exception and let him drive himself!" Naomi, who is 27, wrote on the photo, adding: "A little rusty but he still won (barely)." The Mario Kart match took place during Biden's first weekend at Camp David as president. It was not confirmed which character Biden played as during the game, though it seems his screen may show Luigi.   Biden playing Mario Kart at Camp David pic.twitter.com/LTXYFnzt4c— Andrew Solender (@AndrewSolender) February 14, 2021...
    Republican South Carolina Rep. Nancy Mace said Monday that President Joe Biden’s administration wants to “ignore the science” on reopening schools and that teachers unions should not come before parents and kids when decisions are being made. Mace appeared on Fox News’ “America Reports” and was asked by host Sandra Smith what effects she sees on children as a result of not participating in in-person learning. (RELATED: ‘It’s A Disgrace’: Chris Christie Hammers Teachers Unions For Refusing To Go Back To Work) “Well, it is staggering … I’m a single working mom of two kids, and I know how tough it is to have virtual learning for literally the last year of school. It’s extremely difficult. And we have the CDC, we have science, we have Dr. Fauci, everyone telling the Biden administration that with precautions in place, it’s a safe learning environment for our children,” Mace answered....
    By David McHugh | Associated Press FRANKFURT, Germany — Nigerian economist Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was appointed Monday to head the World Trade Organization, becoming the first woman and first African to take on the role amid rising protectionism and disagreement over how the body decides cases involving billions in sales and thousands of jobs. Okonjo-Iweala, 66, was named director-general by representatives of the 164 countries that make up the WTO, which deals with the rules of trade between nations. She said during an online news conference that she was taking over at a time when the WTO “is facing so many challenges” and is in need of “deep and wide-ranging reforms.” She said the first priority would be quickly addressing the economic and health consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic and ensuring that poor countries do not have “to wait in line” for vaccines. “Vaccine nationalism does not pay” she said,...
    (CNN)When President Joe Biden flew aboard Air Force One for the first time this month, he did not spend much time soaking in the moment.The flight, after all, was only 25 minutes long. He was headed home to Delaware for the weekend, in part to have his foot X-rayed at his orthopedist. And unlike his most recent predecessors, Biden was already familiar with the unique combination of executive swank and military rigor aboard the presidential jet, having flown more than a million miles aboard Air Force Two.So, like a weary passenger on a commuter shuttle, he spent most of the flight reading the newspaper.Bidens first 100 days Biden moves on after Trump's second impeachment acquittal Biden's special Obamacare enrollment period opens Monday. Here's what you need to know The end of Trump's trial lifts an oppressive cloud from Washington Biden calls on Congress to 'enact commonsense gun law reforms'...
    Nigeria's Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was appointed Monday to head the World Trade Organization, becoming the first woman and first African to take on the role amid disagreement over how the body decides cases involving billions in sales and thousands of jobs. Okonjo-Iweala, 66, was named director-general by representatives of the 164 countries that make up the WTO, which deals with the rules of trade between nations. She said in a statement that her first priority would be quickly addressing the economic and health consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic and to "implement the policy responses we need to get the global economy going again." "Our organization faces a great many challenges but working together we can collectively make the WTO stronger, more agile and better adapted to the realities of today," she said in a statement. Meet Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala of Nigeria, the next Director-General of the WTO. #[email protected] pic.twitter.com/xWjm2p1lbH— WTO (@wto) February...
    President BidenJoe BidenBiden on Trump acquittal: 'Substance of the charge is not in dispute' White House press aide resigns after threatening Politico reporter Trump conviction vote exposes GOP divide MORE will join leaders of the Group of Seven (G7) nations this Friday for a virtual summit focused on the global response to COVID-19 and efforts to build back world economies, a White House statement said Sunday. At the U.K.-hosted virtual gathering Biden will "focus on a global response to the COVID-19 pandemic," suggesting that the Biden administration will pursue an approach to the COVID-19 pandemic that involves U.S. allies in a greater role than did the Trump administration, which pulled the U.S. out of the World Health Organization-led COVAX effort to distribute vaccines in less developed nations. The Biden administration pledged in January to rejoin that effort, while also vowing to vaccinate 100 million Americans within the first 100 days of the...
    Beloved D.C. teacher and salon owner remembered for dedication to Southeast Washington Nicki Minaj’s Father Died from His Injuries in Hit-and-Run Incident: Police First Lady Jill Biden Wore a Scrunchie While Shopping and People Felt So Seen © Getty Images Spotted: Dr. Jill Biden wearing one of the most relatable hair looks to make a comeback in the past year.  On February 12, the First Lady posted a pic to Twitter of her latest secret errand to pick up some "Valentine's treats" from The Sweet Lobby, a Black-owned bakery in Washington, DC. "Dropped by @TheSweetLobby earlier to pick up some Valentine's treats for the weekend," Biden tweeted. "Shhh – don't tell Joe!"  https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1360380679217889280 If you thought the macarons were the only things that caught the people's intentions, you obviously didn't read the headline. Followers of the @FLOTUS account on Twitter couldn't help but notice her blue scrunchie, which they...
    Barack Obama shared a sweet Valentine’s Day message to his wife Michelle and daughters Malia and Sasha on Sunday in which he praised them for making ‘everything brighter’. ‘Happy Valentine’s Day to the three who never fail to make me smile,’ the former president wrote alongside an undated picture of the family. ‘Your dazzling light makes everything brighter.’ Former First Lady Michelle posted her own heartwarming message two minutes later, accompanied by a picture of her and Barack surrounded by lights. ‘Happy Valentine’s Day, @barackobama!’ she wrote. ‘Life is always brighter when I'm by your side.’ Former First Lady Melania Trump also shared a Valentine’s Day message on Sunday morning, but it did not mention her husband Donald.  Barack Obama posted a sweet Valentine’s Day message to his wife Michelle and daughters Malia and Sasha on social media on Sunday saying they make 'everything brighter' Barack accompanied the...
    Vice President Kamala Harris and second gentleman Doug Emhoff visited a veterans hospital in DC on February 13, 2021. ERIC BARADAT/AFP via Getty Images Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff made a Valentine's Day cookie delivery to DC hospital workers. Harris and Emhoff apparently added handwritten notes on the sweets. The Bidens displayed a "Valentine to the country" with the first lady's White House installation. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Ahead of Valentine's Day, Vice President Kamala Harris and second gentleman Doug Emhoff on Saturday visited a veterans hospital in Washington, DC, to hand-deliver baskets of cookies to its workers. "This Valentine's Day weekend, our hearts are with the health care heroes working around-the-clock to support our country during this difficult time," Emhoff wrote on Twitter of the visit to the VA Medical Center.—Douglas Emhoff (@SecondGentleman) February 13, 2021Emhoff wrote that he and Harris visited the hospital...
    President Biden spent Saturday evening playing Mario Kart with his grandchildren after Donald Trump was acquitted of inciting insurrection at his impeachment trial.  The Commander-in-chief, 78, looked to be blowing off steam following the political blow, as he gathered with his family at a games arcade in Washington, DC.  In a clip shared to Instagram Stories by his granddaughter, Naomi, 26, the President can be seen sitting at a Mario Kart Arcade GP console as he competes against another of his family members.  'Secret Service made an exception and let him drive himself!!!' Naomi captioned her short clip.  'A little rusty, but he still won (barely),' she added.  Biden can be seen cutting a casual figure in blue jeans and a baseball cap as he sits behind the wheel of the console.  It appears First Lady Jill Biden is hovering over him, with a blonde woman seen clad...
            by Eric Lendrum  Joe Biden has announced that his administration will be ending the declaration of a national emergency on the southern border that was first declared by the Trump Administration, as reported by Fox News. President Trump first declared the national emergency in February of 2019, which allowed him to allocate billions of federal dollars to the construction of the wall after Congress repeatedly blocked his efforts to do so. The move allowed for nearly 500 miles of new border wall to be constructed by the end of his first term. Biden announced the decision in a letter to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), in which he described the policy as “unwarranted.” Despite the move, the Biden Administration will leave approximately 3,600 troops stationed along the border for the remainder of the fiscal year. This comes after Biden had already reversed other immigration...
    More On: joe biden ICE nearly released sex abuse convicts despite Biden memo Biden spends first weekend as president at Camp David Biden launches new plan to shut down Guantanamo Bay prison Jen Psaki can’t answer whether Israel and Saudi Arabia are ‘important allies’ If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, what does it mean when a phone doesn’t ring? This philosophical chestnut recurs whenever a new American president phones his allies and clients or, if you’re Joe Biden, when the calls are to your deepest frenemy Benjamin Netanyahu or your ex-friend and now quasi-enemy Xi Jinping. Now and then, you are reminded that the Khomeinis and Khameneis, and the Osama bin Ladens, too, have a point. America’s politicians are decadent and feckless. They substitute image for reality, and when it goes wrong, they pretend it never happened. Everything about Joe Biden is false,...
    Washington (CNN)Former President Donald Trump's impeachment defense was dishonest from start to finish. Prior to Trump's Senate acquittal on Saturday on a charge that he incited the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol, Trump lawyer Michael van der Veen delivered a closing argument that was replete with false and misleading claims. This followed a Friday session in which van der Veen delivered other false and misleading claims. Which followed a Monday written filing in which van der Veen and his colleagues delivered still more false and misleading claims. Here is a fact check of some of the things van der Veen said on Saturday, plus a fact check of a false claim made by a Democratic impeachment manager during Saturday's closing arguments. Who perpetrated the insurrection Read MoreVan der Veen claimed that the insurrection at the Capitol was "preplanned and premeditated by fringe left and right groups." Facts First: This...
    President Biden is spending the weekend at Camp David for the first time in his presidency as the Senate wraps up its second impeachment trial of his predecessor, former President TrumpDonald TrumpCapitol Police issues no confidence vote in leaders Graham's post-election call with Georgia's Secretary of State will be investigated: report Trump told McCarthy that rioters 'more upset about the election than you are': report MORE.  A White House official confirmed to reporters that Biden and his family were spending the weekend at the mountain retreat in western Maryland that has become a traditional getaway destination for U.S. presidents.  The official added that Biden was scheduled to meet with his national security advisers on Saturday.  Reuters reported that Biden arrived at the heavily-guarded compound operated by the U.S. Navy on Friday, and was joined by national security adviser Jake SullivanJake SullivanUS calls for Turkey to release jailed philanthropist Biden takes cautious tack...
    Jill Biden waves after Joe Biden was sworn-in as the 46th President of the United States on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol on January 20, 2021 in Washington, DC. Jonathan Ernst-Pool/Getty Image Jill Biden shared a picture Friday from a visit to a DC bakery to buy Valentine's Day desserts. Fans of her style took to Twitter and Instagram to celebrate the FLOTUS' scrunchie and ponytail. Earlier in the day, she decorated the White House North Lawn with life-size conversation hearts. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. First lady Jill Biden on Friday shared a picture from a visit she made to a Capitol Hill bakery to buy sweets for Valentine's Day. "Shhh — don't tell Joe!" she wrote on Twitter after stopping by The Sweet Lobby, a Washington, DC-based Black-owned bakery.—Jill Biden (@FLOTUS) February 13, 2021People on Twitter seemed to be taken by the...
    President Biden is spending his first weekend at Camp David as commander in chief. The historic spread in Western Maryland has been used by White House predecessors since Harry Truman as a retreat from the media and D.C. swamp. “It provides a chance to get a blast of fresh air away from the press and a chance to be with family and friends,” presidential historian Douglas Brinkley told Reuters . In addition to R&R, the location has also been used for high-stakes international politics. It was on the grounds of Camp David that President Carter hammered out the 1978 Camp David Accords between Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin. Foreign leaders have regularly taken up residence at the location when they’re in town. Former President Trump, who liked to gold on weekends, made only two visits to the historic location during his presidency.
    New York : The first lady of the United States, Jill biden, carried the spirit of love for him Valentine’s Day to White House proposing to decorate a garden with beautiful and colorful hearts that are perfect for the date. These have words like ‘Hope’, ‘Unity’, ‘Compassion’, ‘Strength’, ‘Love’ and a very special one stood out, as it had the legend “With love, Jill.” And in the company of their dogs Major and Champ, President Joe and Jill took a walk to appreciate the romantic decoration that shares messages of hope in these difficult times that the world is going through due to the Covid-19 pandemic. “With that of the pandemic, everybody feels a little sad. So it’s a little joy, a little hope. That’s it, ”the first lady told reporters outside the North Lawn of the White House. For his part, the president also dedicated a message, indicating...
    Reuters February 13, 2021 0 Comments Joe Biden arrived on Friday for his first weekend as U.S. president at Camp David, the storied retreat in the mountains of western Maryland that many predecessors found to be a rustic getaway from the political battles of Washington. Nestled in the Catoctin Mountains, the heavily guarded compound operated by the U.S. Navy provided a refuge for Jimmy Carter to fish and George W. Bush to ride his mountain bike. A coating of snow in the mountains provided a wintry landscape for Biden and his family. Biden was joined also by national security adviser Jake Sullivan and deputy chief of staff Bruce Reed. “It provides a chance to get a blast of fresh air away from the press and a chance to be with family and friends,” said presidential historian Douglas Brinkley. It has also been the site of high-pressure negotiations. Bill Clinton,...
    Loading the player... Melania Trump is reportedly spending her post-White House life at the spa while her husband Donald Trump focuses on his second impeachment trial.  A source with knowledge of her schedule spilled to CNN that the former first lady has completely checked out of the political circus surrounding the ex president. These days, Melania prefers to fill her time with daily visits to the spa at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida.  Read More: Melania Trump made staffer write her ‘thank you’ notes to WH household staff “She goes to the spa, has lunch, goes to the spa (again) and has dinner with Donald on the patio,” one insider told CNN White House correspondent Kate Bennett. “Rinse and repeat. Every day.” GETTY Melania Trump left Washington with the worst public approval ratings of any first lady in modern history. Insiders claim she has had moments of...
    Melania Trump has officially opened her post-White House office, three weeks after leaving Washington, DC.  The former First Lady made the announcement on Twitter Friday, but did not disclose what projects she will be working on under the new initiative.  'Mrs. Melania Trump is announcing the opening of The Office of Melania Trump. Please follow this account for news and updates,' a post from the new Twitter account @OfficeOfMelania read.  According to CNN, Trump has hired three members of her White House staff to help her with the set-up of the office.  One source told the publication that she 'hopes to resurrect her Be Best campaign' to help children deal with online bullying.  Melania Trump has officially opened her post-White House office, three weeks after leaving Washington, DC Meanwhile, the former First Lady is said to be enjoying a leisurely pace of life since she relocated to Mar-a-Lago last...
    MELANIA Trump has opened her new Florida 'office' on the same day that Jill Biden decorated the White House lawn with Valentine's Day hearts. The former first lady has yet to speak to her replacement in Washington D.C., snubbing long-running tradition, say reports. 12Melania Trump has apparently opened a new office in FloridaCredit: Alamy Live News 12Jill and Joe Biden show reporters their Valentine's Day heartsCredit: ABC She revealed on Twitter: "Mrs. Melania Trump is announcing the opening of The Office of Melania Trump. "Please follow this account for news and updates." There were no further tweets following the February 12 revelation about her 'office'. But Melania has thrilled fans, some of whom replied that they were 'missing Donald'. And one person tweeted: "If this legit, it's trolling at an epic level! I love it! We love you Melania!" 12 12The former first lady received plenty of replies,...
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- President Biden saying the country is on track to deliver 100 million vaccine doses one month earlier than expected.The administration has now secured 200 million additional doses from Pfizer and Moderna to be delivered this summer.Looking ahead, Dr. Anthony Fauci says anyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one by spring."I would imagine by the time we get to April, that would be what I call for better wording, open season," Dr. Fauci said.Fauci also says that he thinks children as young as first grade could be authorized to get the shots by September.What to know about coronavirus:Tracking COVID-19 availability and progress in NYCNew Jersey COVID-19 Vaccine TrackerFind out if you are eligible and where you can go to get your vaccineCoronavirus by zip code - New York CityDo you have coronavirus symptoms? Here are more of today's headlines:NJ Parents can...
    China on Friday offered an optimistic – almost rosy – assessment of a call this week between President Xi Jingping and President Joe Biden as the new American leader works to determine how aggressive an approach to take with his country's principal rival. [ READ: China Fires Back at Blinken’s Condemnation Regarding Uighurs: ‘No Genocide – Period’ ]Chinese state media touted the timing of the Thursday call, which came on the eve of the Lunar New Year – among the biggest holiday seasons in many Asian countries, including China. "This was widely interpreted as a gesture that Biden showed respect for President Xi and China," according to an editorial by the English-language Global Times. "It seems that he was using such goodwill to balance the tough messages the new U.S. administration sent in recent days and various interpretations on those messages." The outlet is run by the Chinese Communist Party...
    WASHINGTON — President Biden said Friday that most Americans will have received the first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of summer. Biden made the optimistic projection after announcing Thursday that the country had secured in total 300 million doses of the vaccines, enough to “vaccinate all Americans.” “Our hope is that we’ll be able to, by the end of the summer, everybody have, almost everybody, 300 million shots into arms,” Biden told reporters as he went for a morning stroll with the first lady and their two dogs. “But it’s gonna take time,” he added. During his first appearance at the National Institutes of Health Thursday, the president announced the US has secured another 200 million coronavirus vaccines. The country had already purchased 100 million doses each from Pfizer and Moderna, bringing the total stockpile to 600 million — enough for every American adult to get the...
    U.S. President Joe Biden joined first lady Jill Biden early Friday for an unannounced stroll of the White House lawn to view Valentine's Day decorations the first lady had erected to send a message of hope to the nation.   The president and first lady, with coffee cups in hand and their two dogs alongside, casually roamed the north lawn of the White House among giant hearts bearing messages such as “healing,” “courage” and “compassion.”   The first lady told reporters she just wanted to share some joy amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The president told reporters Valentine's Day — observed this year on Sunday, February 14 — has always been special to the first lady and related a story from his days as vice president when she decorated every window in his office.   Reporters took the opportunity to ask Biden about the ongoing impeachment trial of former President Donald...
    More On: COVID vaccine NYC pharmacies will offer COVID-19 vaccine to elderly residents US has now purchased enough COVID-19 vaccines for ‘all Americans,’ Biden says De Blasio jabs Cuomo over vaccine micromanagement New York’s COVID-19 positivity rate lowest since November WASHINGTON — President Biden said Friday that most Americans will have received the first jab of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of summer. Biden made the optimistic projection after announcing Thursday that the country had secured in total 300 million doses of the vaccines, enough to “vaccinate all Americans.” “Our hope is that we’ll be able to, by the end of the summer, everybody have, almost everybody, 300 million shots into arms,” Biden told reporters as he went for a morning stroll with the first lady and their two dogs. “But it’s gonna take time,” he added. During his first appearance at the National Institutes of Health Thursday,...
    “From February 19, the Department of Homeland Security will begin the first phase of its program to restore a secure and orderly process along the U.S. southwestern border,” a statement said. Executive Biden noted that immigrants targeted by Donald Trump’s so-called “stay in Mexico” move would be allowed into U.S. territory. This policy, implemented in 2019, does not apply to Mexican people, but asylum seekers who came to the United States via Mexico were forced to remain there until their claim was investigated. He was severely criticized by civil rights associations. At least 70,000 asylum seekers have returned to Mexico as part of the plan, which has created a humanitarian crisis on this side of the border and has been exacerbated by the epidemic, according to the U.S. Immigration Council. Asylum applications for the 25,000 people targeted by the policy are still pending, a Democratic administration official said. Alejandro Myorgos,...
    “From February 19, the Department of Homeland Security will begin phase one of its program to restore a secure and orderly process at the southwest border” of the United States, said a statement. The migrants who were targeted by the measure called “Remain in Mexico” (Remain in Mexico) of Donald Trump will be able to be admitted on the American territory, specified the administration Biden. This policy, implemented in 2019, did not apply to Mexicans but forced asylum seekers who arrived in the United States via Mexico to stay there until their request was investigated. She had been severely criticized by civil rights organizations. At least 70,000 asylum seekers, most of them from Central America, have been returned to Mexico as part of this program, creating a humanitarian crisis on this side of the border, exacerbated by the pandemic, according to the organization American Immigration Council. The asylum applications...
    WASHINGTON -- First lady Jill Biden had installed before dawn Friday special Valentine's Day artwork on the north lawn of the White House: giant pink, white and red hearts that resemble the popular candy.President Joe Biden stepped out with his wife early on Friday morning to inspect the colorful artwork. The huge hearts have single words printed on them such as unity, kindness, healing, compassion, love and courage. One of the hearts was signed, "Love, Jill."The president told reporters that Valentine's Day is the first lady's "favorite day." Jill Biden said people are feeling "a little down" with the pandemic so she just wanted to do something to bring "a little joy. A little hope."Her office said in a statement: "As you may know, the first lady is known for her sense of humor, love of surprises, and celebrating traditions, especially with her family. Valentine's Day has always been one...
    Reporters early Friday noticed some new structures on the North Lawn of the White House — large hearts installed by First Lady Jill BidenJill BidenBiden emphasizes diversity in first visit to Pentagon Jill Biden: 'We're going to make sure that everyone has access to free community college' Michelle Obama announces children's show focused on healthy eating MORE which her office said are her “surprise Valentine messages to the country.”  The pink, red and white hearts modeled after "conversation hearts" contained words such as “unity,” “compassion” and “courage,” and were seen throughout the backdrop journalists use for reports from the White House.  A Valentine from First Lady Jill Biden popped up overnight at the White House. Per her office, “The First Lady is known for her sense of humor, love of surprises and celebrating traditions... This is her Valentine to the country.” pic.twitter.com/lwiAxePaPv— Betsy Klein (@betsy_klein) February 12, 2021 In...
    President BidenJoe BidenWashington Post economics reporter: Federal Reserve counters arguments that Biden's COVID-19 plan is too big Marijuana legalization advocate: 'This could be a priority for Congress' Blinken, UN head share first call after US rejoins Climate Accords, WHO MORE said Friday that he is “anxious” to see whether Republican senators “stand up” in the impeachment trial of former President TrumpDonald TrumpNRCC finance chair: Republicans who voted for Trump impeachment will not be penalized Blinken, UN head share first call after US rejoins Climate Accords, WHO GOP senators met with Trump's impeachment team to talk strategy MORE in comments to reporters Friday after the House managers rested their case. “I am just anxious to see what my Republican friends do, if they stand up,” Biden told CNN’s Jeremy Diamond after unveiling hearts on the North Lawn of the White House for Valentine’s Day along with first lady Jill BidenJill BidenBiden...
    (CNN)President Joe Biden told CNN Friday he is "anxious" to see how Senate Republicans will vote in the impeachment trial and whether they will "stand up.""I'm just anxious to see what my Republican friends do, if they stand up," Biden said in his first comments about the impeachment trial since the House impeachment managers rested their case on Thursday.Biden said he does not plan to speak with any senators about the trial or how they will vote.Biden answered two questions from CNN outside the West Wing after making an impromptu visit to the North Lawn to see candy hearts set up by first lady Jill Biden in celebration of Valentine's Day.This story is breaking and will be updated.
    (CNN)While former President Donald Trump watches his second impeachment trial unfold, Melania Trump spends most of her time post-White House relaxing at the spa and staying out of the fray.Though she has been checking in on the trial, says one source familiar with her interest level, the former first lady has mentally all but left Washington behind, unlike her husband. According to multiple people who spoke to CNN about Trump's life in the weeks since she departed the nation's capital, her daily schedule has nothing to do with politics, Congress, trials or stymied social media accounts. "She goes to the spa, has lunch, goes to the spa (again) and has dinner with Donald on the patio," said one person familiar with Melania Trump's schedule at Mar-a-Lago, her home in Palm Beach, Florida. "Rinse and repeat. Every day."What we expect today This is the second day of Trump's second impeachment...
    President Biden visited the National Institutes of Health complex on Thursday and he spoke about the U.S. vaccine supply and his goals for the rollout, but he also indicated that mask-wearing will likely be a reality for the next year.  He told reporters that even though he was standing on stage about 10 feet from Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Francis Collins, he would continue to wear his mask. He said that wearing the mask "though the next year" can save a significant number of lives. BIDEN DOJ ASKS TRUMP-APPOINTED ATTORNEYS TO RESIGN  Health officials have stressed that even with effective vaccines, many of the same safety protocols will have to remain in place until there is clear herd immunity. But if and when that is achieved seems to be anyone’s guess. Sharon Peacock, the director of the COVID-19 Genomics UK consortium, said that there are growing concerns that virus mutations will...
    US President Joe Biden is considering nominating the economist Lisa cook to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve (Fed), which would make it the first black woman to hold officeUS media reported. If nominated, this historic election would continue Biden’s efforts to put women and minority representatives in key roles. Cook, a former economic adviser to Barack Obama and professor at the University of MichiganHe would fill a vacant seat on the seven-member Fed board and become the fourth black governor of the US central bank. News site Axios cited sources close to the matter as saying that Biden was evaluating Cook for the job, while Bloomberg reported that he has the backing of key White House officials but that a decision is not imminent. Cook has a background in development and has written articles on the racial impact on economic performance, has a Ph.D. in...
    If it was meant as a signal, it was a powerful one. On her first full day as first lady, Jill Biden welcomed two teachers unions' presidents to the White House. "Joe is going to be a champion for you because he knows that's the best way to serve our students," she told them. The words illuminate one of the early controversies roiling President Biden's administration: how to make good on a promise to follow the science in tackling the coronavirus pandemic while also reopening schools. At the same time, preserving the support of the powerful labor groups that helped propel him to power. The result has been conflicting signals from within the administration about when and how schools will reopen. An embarrassing spat with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was followed by questions about whether the Biden administration was playing fast and loose with a target...
    Secretary of State Antony BlinkenAntony BlinkenUS calls for Turkey to release jailed philanthropist Council on Foreign Relations president invokes former boss Reagan in quitting GOP Biden takes cautious tack on China as tensions simmer MORE and United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday had their first call since the United States rejoined the Paris Climate Accords and the World Health Organization (WHO). Spokesperson Ned Price described the call in the statement saying Blinken praised the United Nations for its work, and also expressed the U.S.’s “interest in close coordination” with the group to deal with global issues. “Underscoring President BidenJoe BidenFormer Republican officials in talks to form center-right anti-Trump party: report Biden raises concerns with Xi in first call with Chinese leader as president Castro: Trump further incited the mob 'against his own vice president' MORE’s focus on bringing the pandemic under control, the Secretary praised the central role the UN and...
    The White House gave conflicting answers on whether talks with Iran have resumed over the United States rejoining an Obama administration-negotiated nuclear agreement that Donald Trump exited as president, suggesting first that Washington and Tehran had already begun communicating. Asked whether Iran would need to come into compliance before the U.S. would speak with them, press secretary Jen Psaki replied Thursday, “I think we’ve spoken to them" — before seeming to backtrack, reiterating the position that if Iran comes into compliance with the Obama-era deal, the U.S. will do the same. "Well, we are, of course, there are conversations that can happen with partners and allies through the P5+1. There's plenty to do, but certainly, that would be the first, next step in the process," she said, referring to the United Nations Security Council's five permanent members (and Germany) that have negotiated the nuclear accord with Iran. Under the Joint...
    Parents should not be happy with President Biden's administration if it merely meets its stated goal regarding school reopenings, says White House press secretary Jen Psaki. The new president's team has been criticized for branding its target of reopening a "majority" of elementary and middle schools in its first 100 days as "bold" before Inauguration Day — only to redefine it this week in more modest terms. Psaki was asked Thursday whether parents or guardians should be "satisfied" with the target of having more than 50% of schools providing "some teaching in classrooms at least once a week." "They shouldn't be. I wouldn't be, as a parent, and I am a parent," she replied, adding Biden would "not rest until every school is open, five days a week." The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will release its guidelines for reopening schools on Friday. The guidance is expected to emphasize...
    Miami : The first lady of the United States, Jill Biden, is promoting free access to training programs and community colleges, and stated that these colleges, known as community collegeswill be an important part of the Biden administration’s efforts to rebuild the economy. The first lady, a longtime community college professor and advocate, said that people struggling to survive during the coronavirus-induced economic crisis need access to these schools. “We have to do this. And we have to do it now. That’s why we’re going to make sure everyone has access to free community colleges and training programs, ”Jill Biden said in prerecorded and broadcast remarks Tuesday during a virtual legislative summit hosted by the Association of Community College Trustees and the American Association. of Community Universities. It was not more specific. As a presidential candidate, Joe Biden promised two years of “debt free” community college or training. Latinos...
    Biden nominates first Asian American woman as deputy labor secretary