Sunday, Mar 07, 2021 - 22:17:00
748 results - (0.000 seconds)

Carson Wentz:

The Colts stand out as a clear favorite to add Carson Wentz if he is available for a trade this offseason. The news finally became official Tuesday. Jalen Hurts is now the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles and Carson Wentz is headed to the bench. This move makes sense from a strictly performance-based standpoint. Wentz has looked lost all season and has 16 touchdowns along with 15 interceptions. The Eagles are 3-8-1 and something needed a change for the team to be watchable over the final four games of the season. Now comes the talk of trading Wentz. Financially, this is a disaster for the Eagles. He just signed a four-year, $128 million extension in 2019 and has a dead cap value of over $59 million in 2021. But that number does go down to $33 million if he is traded and the Indianapolis Colts are one team who...
    PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Jalen Hurts will start for the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, sending Carson Wentz to the bench. Eagles coach Doug Pederson made the announcement Tuesday on the team’s website. “We’re not where we want to be as an offense,” Pederson said. “I looked at the whole thing and decided that for this week to look for that spark again to try to get the team over the hump, to try to get everybody playing better.” Pederson insisted Monday the decision was his, even though Wentz’s $128 million, four-year contract begins in 2021. Hurts replaced Wentz in the third quarter of a 30-16 loss to Green Bay and completed 5 of 12 passes for 109 yards, one touchdown, one interception and took three sacks. “Carson is like all of us right now, he’s disappointed. He’s frustrated,” Pederson said. “He’s been a professional through it all. He supports his teammates...
    Getty Eagles QB Carson Wentz was benched for rookie Jalen Hurts against the Green Bay Packers. It was the longest 48 hours in the history of Philadelphia Eagles football. Now it’s over and onward. Jalen Hurts will take over the starting quarterback duties for the team this week versus the New Orleans Saints. Carson Wentz is headed to the bench for the foreseeable future. Head coach Doug Pederson made the calculated decision — arguably the biggest one in Philly sports history — after much thought and revealed why on the team’s website. His main reason? To provide a spark to his stagnant offense and get the Eagles over the hump. Believe it or not, Pederson’s squad still has a legitimate shot at winning the NFC East with four games remaining in the oddest season to date. If they do run the table and win the division, it will be...
    The Eagles have given up on Carson Wentz for now. Jalen Hurts will start for the Eagles on Sunday against the Saints, the team announced, sending the former No. 2 pick Wentz to the bench. Wentz has been a shell of himself this season, failing to move the Eagles offense consistently. Philadelphia’s season has crashed to 3-8-1 and it is 1 1/2 games behind the Giants and Washington in the NFC East. Wentz, 27, has 16 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, while only completing 57.4 percent of his passes thus far this season. Hurts, the rookie out of Oklahoma, replaced Wentz late in the Eagles’ loss to the Packers on Sunday. “I never like to think like that,” Wentz told reporters about talk of his benching on Sunday. “Obviously, there’s been chatter, I’ve had to get a lot of questions over the last handful of weeks. But I don’t let...
    The Carson Wentz era in Philadelphia appears to be over for now, as Jalen Hurts is taking the reigns.  According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen, the Eagles have made the move to bench Carson Wentz official and named Jalen Hurts the teams’ starter for Sunday’s game against the Saints. “Doug Pederson is naming Jalen Hurts his new starting quarterback and the rookie will start Sunday vs. the New Orleans Saints,” Schefter reported on Tuesday. “Carson Wentz now will backup Hurts.”
    Getty Eagles dual-threat rookie QB Jalen Hurts has been the backup since Week 2. Hall of Famer Brett Favre has become a bit of an arm-chair quarterback in Philadelphia these days. First, he opined that the Eagles should have kept Nick Foles over Carson Wentz. Now the 11-time Pro Bowler thinks the franchise will “probably play” Jalen Hurts this week against the New Orleans Saints. Favre, speaking on SiriusXM NFL Radio, didn’t cite any inside knowledge from talking to people familiar with the situation. It bears mentioning that the Packers legend was teammates with Doug Pederson in Green Bay and the two remain friends to this day. In fact, Pederson acknowledged the fact that he and Favre still talk a few weeks ago when Favre made those viral comments about Foles. On Tuesday, he stoked the fire on the raging Wentz vs. Hurts debate. “I assume that Jalen...
    In simpler times, some NFL fans’ biggest worries involved the question of, “Who’s better: Dak Prescott or Carson Wentz?” As you’re definitely aware, 2020 is not “simpler times,” and that extends to the Prescott vs. Wentz debate. The Cowboys’ Prescott saw his season end with a gruesome ankle injury in Week 5. Wentz was just benched in Week 13 in favor of rookie Jalen Hurts. At the time of their 2016 draft selections, Wentz looked to be the sure thing. By early this season, Prescott seemed more secure in a bright future. And now? Both could be gone from the NFC East sooner rather than later.  Sports fans are quick to make comparisons, and Prescott vs. Wentz displays some of the foolishness in that desire to compare. Things change. Players grow and struggle and get injured. Front offices commit too early or too late or not at all. Maybe a comparison between two...
    Following the Philadelphia Eagles‘ decision to bench Carson Wentz for rookie Jalen Hurts during their Week 13 loss against the Green Bay Packers, rumors have begun to swirl regarding the quarterback’s future in the City of Brotherly Love. As suggested by Sporting News, there are two teams that have stood out so far as possible trade destinations for the struggling signal-caller, including the Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos. Although it’s still unclear whether the Eagles have already decided to promote Hurts to a long-term starting role and move on from Wentz, the publication noted that one of the team’s best options would be to trade the former No. 2 overall selection to a quarterback-needy club. This, as pointed out, might be a difficult task, considering that Wentz is under contract with Philadelphia through the 2024 season. Moving him would cost the organization $33.8 million in “dead money,” though this would...
    Getty Eagles coach Doug Pederson gets input from franchise QB Carson Wentz on a play-call. The word marriage has long been used to describe the relationship between Carson Wentz and Doug Pederson. There have been good times, bad times, sickness, health — and more richer than poorer following Wentz’s $128 million contract extension. The Eagles head coach and franchise quarterback remain attached at the hip and so do their suddenly worrisome legacies. Pederson benched Wentz as the starting quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, pulling him with 7:39 left in the third quarter and inserting Jalen Hurts into the game for a much-needed “spark.” Which the dual-threat rookie from Oklahoma, by way of Alabama, did with both his legs and arm. Doug Pederson keeping all “conversations private” between him and Carson Wentz. Called Jalen Hurts the “spark he was hoping for.”...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Who will head coach Doug Pederson name the starting quarterback for this week’s Eagles game against the New Orleans Saints — Carson Wentz or Jalen Hurts? Pederson won’t commit to saying who will start in Week 14 despite replacing Wentz with Hurts in Sunday’s loss to the Green Bay Packers. But in CBS Philly’s unofficial social media polls, most viewers want Hurts to carry the team now. As of 2:30 p.m. Monday, about 77% of Twitter respondents say they want Hurts to start. I don’t think Wentz is a bad Quarterback at all. However, something just isn’t working. Feel bad for him but there’s obviously a problem. — MBA Thorn (@ThornburyMb) December 7, 2020 You need to play Hurts at this point. At least get an idea of what you have with Hurts. This season is over anyway. Then next season let them battle it out...
    With the whole city of Philadelphia breathing down his back, Carson Wentz isn’t worried about his role with the Eagles, dismissing rumors from last week that said he was shaken by the arrival of rookie Jalen Hurts.  Wentz had a dismal performance in Sunday’s loss against the Green Bay Packers and was eventually benched halfway through the fourth quarter for Hurts, who easily outplayed the veteran quarterback, completing 5 of 12 passes for 109 yards with one touchdown and an interception.  RAIDERS KEEP JETS’ TREVOR LAWRENCE DREAM ALIVE WITH 31-28 VICTORY When asked about it in his post-game presser, Wentz seemed confident in his abilities.  “No. I’m not the type to worry about and look over my shoulder or any of those things,” he said. “I think at the end of the day, I can play better. We can as a team, and as an offense especially, play better.” He...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS/AP) — There is a clear quarterback controversy in Philadelphia after Jalen Hurts replaced Carson Wentz in Sunday’s loss to the Green Bay Packers, but head coach Doug Pederson won’t commit to who will start in Week 14. Pederson did not give any information out Monday regarding who will be the starting quarterback for the Birds on Sunday when they host the New Orleans Saints. “No, I have not made a decision yet and the offensive line does not weigh into any decisions as to who that might be,” Pederson said. “I’m not prepared right now to make any statement or decisions on that, I’m still processing a lot of things, going through a lot of things before I make that decision. When I know you’ll know.” When asked what factors go into naming his starter, Pederson said, “I would like to keep that private, so that’s between me...
    The Eagles benched Carson Wentz for Jalen Hurts during Week 13’s loss to the Packers in Green Bay. The first big question is whether that means Hurts will become the starting quarterback going forward for the 2020 NFL season. The bigger question is whether this means the Eagles will be trying to move on from a struggling Wentz in 2021. According to multiple reports, offensive-minded coach Doug Pederson, despite leading Philadelphia to victory in Super Bowl 52 three seasons ago, is suddenly on the hot seat for a disapponting 3-8-1 record — tied greatly to the consistent poor play of Wentz. So the Wentz vs. Hurts decision comes with more weight than which QB gives the Eagles “the best chance to win games” down the stretch with the NFC East title still somehow within reach. But cutting ties with Wentz next offseason wouldn’t be easy, given his hefty contract. The Eagles’ only...
    Credit: Stacy Revere/Getty Images Now in danger of losing his job as the Eagles’ starting quarterback, can another team rescue Carson Wentz? A change of scenery would seem to do Wentz a lot of good, and it’s worth wondering if he’d restructure his contract to better pave the way for a trade. The mechanics of the move wouldn’t be easy, but one of these three teams could rescue Wentz’s career.3 teams who could rescue Carson Wentz3. San Francisco 49ersAs pointed out all over the place, the 49ers can move on from Jimmy Garoppolo easily in 2021. Head coach Kyle Shanahan is trying to say the right things about Garoppolo being the right quarterback for the team and the expectation he’ll be the guy in 2021. But missing big chunks of two of the last three seasons, and having the ball taken out of his hands during last year’s Super Bowl...
    Getty Doug Pederson guided the Eagles to a Super Bowl title in 2018 and is sticking with the "world championship" offense that got him there. Doug Pederson remains mum on his starting quarterback for next week’s game. The Philadelphia Eagles head coach reiterated what he said on Sunday as he continues to evaluate the position and watch more tape. Carson Wentz might be the franchise, but Jalen Hurts looked like the future. Hurts replaced Wentz in the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers and provided an undeniable spark on offense. The Eagles didn’t get the win, “not enough” to quote Hurts, but it may have been just enough to earn the rookie quarterback four starts to close this forgettable 2020 season. Pederson told SportsRadio 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldi that he’ll make a decision later in the week. “I’m going to look at a lot of things,” Pederson said...
    Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson finally made the quarterback switch fans were clamoring for, benching slumping starter Carson Wentz in favor of rookie Jalen Hurts in the third quarter of Sunday’s 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Pederson remained noncommittal Monday morning, however, over which of the two will start the Eagles’ Week 14 game against the New Orleans Saints after his skidding team’s fourth straight defeat. He told WIP radio he still hasn’t decided. “I’ve got to get through the tape…Let me get through this game,” Pederson initially said Sunday after the Eagles fell to 3-8-1. “There’s a lot of things I’m going to consider and evaluate before anything is decided.” The 27-year-old Wentz sports the lowest passer rating of his five-year career (72.8) with a league-leading 15 interceptions after completing just six of 15 pass attempts for 79 yards against the Packers. Carson Wentz, Doug Pederson, Jalen...
    Doug Pederson is yet to announce a Week 14 starter, but it’s clear Jalen Hurts deserves a shot to run the offense.  Before the Philadelphia Eagles took on the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, NFL insider Jay Glazer dropped a shocking report, saying members inside the Philly building believed Carson Wentz’s confidence took a hit once the Eagles used a second-round pick on Jalen Hurts. Things only got worse for Wentz against Green Bay, as he once again failed to get the offense into any kind of a rhythm. Doug Pederson then made the not-so-difficult choice to bench Wentz and let Hurts run the offense. If you thought Wentz’s confidence was in trouble before, there’s no question it’s down in the dumps right now after the Week 13 loss.Carson Wentz’s confidence couldn’t be lower right now after losing to the PackersBefore Pederson ended up yanking him from the game, Wentz...
    Eagles coach Doug Pederson refused to commit to a starting quarterback after rookie Jalen Hurts outperformed struggling star Carson Wentz in the team’s loss to the Packers. Hurts replaced embattled starter Wentz in the third quarter of Sunday’s 30-16 defeat in Green Bay, and he almost triggered a comeback. BERNSTEIN: Eagles put Hurts in difficult situation A second-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, Hurts finished 5-of-12 passing for 109 yards, a touchdown and an interception while rushing five times for 29 yards. Wentz, who signed a four-year, $128 million contract extension in 2019, was benched after going 6-of-15 passing for 79 yards and four sacks as the Eagles fell to 3-8-1. “We needed a spark in this game to try to get some things going,” under-fire coach Pederson told reporters postgame. “I’ve got to get through injuries, I’ve got to get through the tape, there’s a lot of things...
    GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Jalen Hurts briefly gave the Philadelphia Eagles a spark enough to create a full-blown quarterback controversy. Carson Wentz was benched in the third quarter of Philadelphia’s 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday after completing 6 of 15 passes for 79 yards, no turnovers and four sacks. Hurts, the rookie second-round pick, tossed a 32-yard touchdown pass to Greg Ward and finished 5 of 12 for 109 yards, one interception and three sacks. He also ran for 29 yards. Coach Doug Pederson didn’t commit to a starter next week when the Eagles (3-8-1) host the New Orleans Saints (10-2). “We needed a spark. We needed something to go our way so I put Jalen in the game,” Pederson said. “He did some good things, used his legs when he had to. He got us back in the game. I have to evaluate the...
    Doug Pederson has a decision to make before the Philadelphia Eagles take on the New Orleans Saints in a Week 14 matchup. Backup quarterback Jalen Hurts gave the Eagles offense a spark when he took over for starting quarterback Carson Wentz, who was benched in a 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday. PACKERS WITHSTAND LATE RALLY TO OUTLAST EAGLES 30-16 Following the game, Pederson declined to say whether Hurts or Wentz will start next week. “Let me get through this game,” Pederson said. “There’s a lot of things I’m going to consider and evaluate before anything is decided.” JETS' MARCUS MAYE BLASTS FINAL PLAY AFTER LOSS TO RAIDERS: 'WE COULD HAVE BEEN IN A BETTER CALL' Hurts completed 5 of 12 passes for 109 yards with one touchdown and an interception. He connected with wide receiver Greg Ward Jr. for a 32-yard TD strike on fourth-and-18 from the...
    Getty Eagles QB Carson Wentz was benched for rookie Jalen Hurts against the Green Bay Packers. Give Doug Pederson credit for stepping up to the post-game podium and absorbing the bullets. He answered every question about the brewing quarterback controversy without naming a starter for next week. The Philadelphia Eagles head coach needs time to sleep on it. Pederson pulled Carson Wentz in the third quarter and inserted rookie Jalen Hurts. He played well and nearly guided the Eagles to an improbable comeback. After the game, Pederson pumped the brakes on making any rash decisions like benching Wentz permanently. He needs to watch the game tape and evaluate everything. Remember, he went on record last week saying “everything is on the table.” “You’ve got to let me get through this game,” Pederson told reporters on Sunday. “There’s a lot of things I’m going to consider and evaluate before...
    Jalen Hurts briefly gave the Philadelphia Eagles a spark enough to create a full-blown quarterback controversy. Carson Wentz was benched in the third quarter of Philadelphia’s 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday after completing 6 of 15 passes for 79 yards, no turnovers and four sacks. Hurts, the rookie second-round pick, tossed a 32-yard touchdown pass to Greg Ward and finished 5 of 12 for 109 yards, one interception and three sacks. He also ran for 29 yards. Coach Doug Pederson didn’t commit to a starter next week when the Eagles (3-8-1) host the New Orleans Saints (10-2). “We needed a spark. We needed something to go our way so I put Jalen in the game,” Pederson said. “He did some good things, used his legs when he had to. He got us back in the game. I have to evaluate the film to decide how he...
    Getty Eagles rookie Jalen Hurts replaced Carson Wentz in the second half of Sundays game. Jalen Hurts threw his first touchdown for the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday in relief of Carson Wentz. The rookie replaced Wentz with under eight minutes left in the third quarter, providing an immediate spark to the offense after another poor day from the franchise quarterback. Wentz was laboring on offense yet again: 6-of-15 for 79 yards (57.4 passer rating) — and head coach Doug Pederson turned to Hurts. He finished 5-of-12 for 109 passing yards (five carries for 29 yards) with one touchdown in a 30-16 loss to the Green Bay Packers. He also chucked up an interception late in the fourth quarter. Throw the stats out the window, though. Hurts gave the Eagles a noticeable shot of adrenaline in this one. Hurts, the second-round pick out of...
    GREEN BAY, Wis. (CBS) — The Eagles had new voices assisting with calling play Sunday, but it didn’t matter much. The Eagles’ offense was again stagnant, their starting quarterback again uncomfortable in the pocket, their receivers again unable to create separation, and it all added up to a fourth straight loss. The Eagles on Sunday fell, 30-16, to the Green Bay Packers to fall to 3-8-1 on the season. The Eagles’ first drive began with promise. The Birds’ offense orchestrated a 15-play, 41-yard drive that ended with a Jake Elliott 52-yard field goal. But it was all downhill from there. Green Bay put together two 80-plus yard touchdown drives led by future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers that sent the Packers into halftime with a 14-3 lead. That was too much of a hole for the Eagles’ offense to dig out from, even after a QB change. The Birds’...
    Getty Eagles rookie Jalen Hurts replaced Carson Wentz in the second half of Sundays game. Jalen Hurts threw his first touchdown for the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday in relief of Carson Wentz. The rookie replaced Wentz with under eight minutes in the third quarter, providing an immediate spark to the offense after another poor day from the franchise quarterback. Wentz was laboring on offense yet again: 6-of-15 for 79 yards (57.4 rating). Hurts, the second-round pick out of Oklahoma, took over with the Eagles trailing the Green Bay Packers 23-3 and led the team on a nine-play, 73-yard scoring drive. He hit Greg Ward for a 32-yard touchdown strike as Wentz looked on from the sideline. Hurts’ first series ended in a Philly punt but not before he completed a 34-yard bullet to Jalen Reagor. On the next series, Hurts flashed all his athleticism and hit five different...
    The Eagles benched starting quarterback Carson Wentz and brought in Jalen Hurts during the third quarter of their Sunday matchup with the Packers. Philadelphia trailed 20-3 when it made the move, which had been suggested for weeks on social media and local radio airwaves. Wentz exited having gone 6-of-15 passing for 75 yards. He was sacked four times. Wentz has thrown for 300 yards once all season, been picked off 15 times and never managed a passer rating above 91.1. Hurts, a rookie out of Oklahoma, completed a 34-yard pass with his first throw against the Packers. He threw a 32-yard touchdown to Greg Ward later in the contest. Given the state of the struggling Eagles, the young passer enters a difficult situation to find success. His offensive line has allowed the most sacks in the NFL, and his outside receivers are suspect. But the opportunity to gain pro throwing experience...
    Eagles fans rejoiced as Doug Pederson made a long-awaited change. It took until Week 13 of a desperately disappointing season, but the Philadelphia Eagles finally made a change at quarterback, benching 2016 first-round pick Carson Wentz for rookie second-round draft choice Jalen Hurts. THE FUTURE IS NOW — adam (@basedadam) December 6, 2020 It would appear unlikely that the quarterback change will alter the direction of the NFC East. Next: The Saints defense is the biggest reason they can win the Super Bowl However, if Hurts shines it could be the first sign of the end of the Wentz era in Philadelphia.
    Getty Eagles players Jamon Brown and Genard Avery stand during the national anthem. The Philadelphia Eagles announced their inactives prior to Sunday’s kickoff, with Jalen Hurts leading the list. The rookie quarterback will back up Carson Wentz for the 12th straight week as Nate Sudfeld remained a healthy scratch. The team also kept edge rusher Genard Avery inactive against the Green Bay Packers. Avery was activated from injured reserve on Nov. 30 after missing time with an elbow injury. He has 1.5 sacks and six quarterback hits in seven games. Starting cornerback Darius Slay had been listed “questionable” on the final injury report but he’s good to go. Locked and loaded for his big matchup versus Davante Adams. The Eagles will be without safety Rudy Ford (hamstring) and receiver Quez Watkins (illness), while keeping rookie running back Jason Huntley and second-year receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside inactive. GameDay!!! — Darius...
    Getty Eagles quarterbacks Carson Wentz, Nate Sudfeld and Jalen Hurts get some work in at practice. The never-ending debate over whether the Philadelphia Eagles should bench Carson Wentz took another twisting turn on Sunday. Jalen Hurts might be poised to take over the starting job, depending on how Wentz performs today against the Green Bay Packers. The Eagles franchise quarterback is “on a very short leash,” per FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer, and some in the organization believe Wentz has “lost his confidence.” The report didn’t put a timeline on how soon a change might occur under center but it stands to reason it could happen swiftly. Wentz has arguably been the NFL’s worst signal-caller in 2020, leading the league in interceptions (15) and ranking second in fumbles (10). He has also posted a career-low 58.1% completion percentage with an alarming 73.4 passer rating. He’s averaging 231 passing yards...
    In some big news for the Philadelphia Eagles, star tight end Zach Ertz is good to go for the Sunday showdown with the Green Bay Packers.  The long wait is finally over for the Philadelphia Eagles and standout tight end Zach Ertz. With Ertz listed as questionable for Sunday’s game, he went ahead and announced that he’s ready to rock on his Twitter account. Ertz hasn’t seen the field since the Oct. 18 showdown with the Baltimore Ravens due to an ankle injury and a trip to Injured Reserve. Now, though, Ertz is all set to get back on the gridiron and is ready to help the team try and take down the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. ???????? pic.twitter.com/NBYOGv52IW — Zach Ertz (@ZERTZ_86) December 6, 2020 Zach Ertz returning for the Eagles to face the Packers is huge newsIt’s been a bit of a rough season for Ertz,...
    Per NFL insider Jay Glazer, members of the Philadelphia Eagles believe the team drafting Jalen Hurts has rattled starting quarterback Carson Wentz.  Throughout the 2020 campaign, something has just been off with Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback Carson Wentz. He entered the year with high expectations, but the Eagles stand at 3-7-1 and Wentz has struggled mightily throughout the season. What in the heck has been going on? The Philadelphia faithful have lost patience in the former first-round pick because of how terrible he’s played. Now, we may have an answer as to why things have been so bad. Per NFL insider Jay Glazer, many folks inside the team building believe that once the Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts, it rattled Wentz. Holy smokes. People inside the #Eagles building believe drafting Jalen Hurts is a big reason as to why Carson Wentz has lost his confidence, per @JayGlazer. Wentz wont admit it,...
    Getty The Eagles are rolling out their 11th different offensive line combination for the 2020 season. Make that 11 different starting combinations this year for the Philadelphia Eagles’ patchwork offensive line. Rookie Jack Driscoll has been named the new starter at right tackle with Lane Johnson out for the year. The fourth-round draft pick out of Auburn started in Weeks 1 and 6. Driscoll was widely assumed to be the heir apparent at right tackle after a stellar training camp in South Philly. But the 6-foot-5, 306-pounder hurt his ankle on Oct. 18 and the nagging injury has held him back at practice. Now he appears to be fully healed up and he’ll take over for reserve guard-tackle hybrid Matt Pryor. Head coach Doug Pederson announced the switch on Friday morning during his media availability, then Driscoll confirmed it later in the day. He has already logged 169...
    (CBS Philadelphia) — With their third straight loss, the Philadelphia Eagles dropped from first to third in the subpar NFC East. The Green Bay Packers returned to the win column and maintained their lead in the NFC North. This Sunday, the Eagles face the unenviable task of turning around their season on the road against a Packers team that seems to be coasting toward the playoffs. The Eagles offense has struggled for weeks, and didn’t look any better at home against the Seattle Seahawks. They went three-and-out on their first five possessions against the defense allowing the most yards in the NFL. In fact, they gained negative four yards in the first quarter and didn’t pick up a first down until well into the second quarter. Carson Wentz ended up with a halfway decent stat-line on the evening, going 25-45 for 215 yards and two touchdowns. However, one of those...
    Getty Mark Sanchez spent two seasons in Philadelphia and backed up Nick Foles. Mark Sanchez has a hunch about how the evolving quarterback situation in Philadelphia might end. And it won’t necessarily be a fairy-tale one. The former Eagles quarterback sees some eerie similarities between what the New York Jets attempted to do with him and Tim Tebow in 2012. It didn’t work. Sanchez, who appeared on ESPN’s Get Up show, was asked to compare his situation to what’s happening in Philly with Carson Wentz and Jalen Hurts. The Eagles are shuffling both quarterbacks in and out of various formations, but there doesn’t seem to be a comprehensive plan in place for how to use them. Hurts has been utilized mostly as a gadget-play specialist, running strictly zone-read plays. He hasn’t been able to find a rhythm in limited snaps while Wentz continues to regress in multiple ways....
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS)- Three straight losses and the Eagles find themselves in third place in the NFC East. The biggest question, as it has been all season, is what has happened to Carson Wentz? Outside of a late garbage time touchdown to Richard Rodgers Monday night, Wentz completed 24-of-44 passes for 182 yards one touchdown and one interception against what had been the league’s worst passing defense in the Seattle Seahawks. The schedule isn’t getting any easier for the Birds this week as they face the Green Bay Packers in Lambeau Field who are fresh off a 41-25 drubbing of the Chicago Bears on Sunday night. NFL on CBS contributor Amy Trask has one word to describe Wentz’s performance this season. “There’s a very technical football term that I learned during my years in the league to describe what I’m seeing from Carson Wentz. That technical term is: yikes,” said Trask....
    Carson Wentz has received plenty of hate for poor play this season, but is it all really his fault? In what’s been a terrible 2020 campaign for the Philadelphia Eagles and head coach Doug Pederson, fans have basically turned on former first-round pick Carson Wentz. The signal-caller has been the textbook definition of inconsistent this season, struggling pretty much every time he hits the field. With that being said, is it all Wentz’s fault? In fact, is it crazy to think that maybe he’s not the problem here and that instead, it’s Philadelphia who has been responsible for bringing his career down? ESPN article today says NFL execs are "nearly unanimous" that the Eagles should keep Wentz. AFC exec: "I think he would have more success than Goff in that Rams system." NFC exec: "I think he would be a borderline MVP candidate in Indy." https://t.co/ccNJomvgtt — David Murphy (@ByDavidMurphy)...
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz talked Wednesday after another disastrous loss on Monday night. The questions pile up after every interception and every sack. What’s wrong with Wentz? Should he still be the starter? Do the Eagles have an exit strategy? The Birds have the sixth-worst record in football and Wentz is one of the biggest reasons why. On Sunday, they’ll take on another future Hall of Fame quarterback when they visit Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. But the story remains Wentz. Today, he was asked once again about his poor play and taking sacks. “I gotta do a better job. I think just making sure we’re on the same page throughout a given week, whether it’s in practice, watching film, talking to them. I gotta make sure we’re on the same page and at the end of the day, I gotta trust everybody and I do trust...
    Getty Philadelphia Eagles QB Carson Wentz and TE Zach Ertz The Kinks warned us that paranoia will “destroy ya” in 1981. While the British rock band knew little about playing quarterback in the NFL, the line can be applied to Carson Wentz’s rocky 2020 campaign. The Philadelphia Eagles quarterback has to avoid getting mired in his past mistakes because staying confident is the only way to improve. Wentz is dealing with another week of calls to be benched after the Eagles’ offense sputtered in Week 12. This time it wasn’t all his fault, but the face of the franchise took the blame and talked about learning from his errors on Wednesday. Wentz can’t let the paranoia set in, blocking it out and trusting the guys around him has been his “press forward” mantra. “No matter what sport you’re playing, it’s on to the next,” Wentz told reporters. “You...
      There are at least five more weeks remaining in the NFL season, but on the AFC side of the playoff bracket, the Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers are seemingly on a collision course for what has the chance to be an epic Conference Championship Game. The GM-head coach duo coming to a team near youThe dominoes have already begun to fall around the NFL, with five teams parting ways with their general managers after Dave Caldwell was shown the exit by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday afternoon. While there are many up and coming personnel directors likely to fill the jobs with the Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, and any other organizations that blow out their general mangers between now and January, there’s a good chance that a GM-head coach package deal is destined for one of them. Executives and sources around the league...
    Getty The Eagles released veteran safety Will Parks after just six games with his hometown team. Will Parks saw just 10 snaps in Week 12. On Tuesday, the North Philadelphia native was bidding farewell to his hometown team on social media. The Philadelphia Eagles are set to part ways with the hybrid “Swiss Army Knife” safety after six games. Parks will become a free agent, willing and able to sign with any NFL franchise who will take him. It was an odd move, although not totally out of left field. Remember, the Eagles had reportedly shopped Parks at the NFL trade deadline but chose to keep him. He sat out the first five weeks of the regular season as he recovered from a nagging hamstring issue. The 26-year-old played sparingly even when he did return and will retire his midnight green jersey with just 114 total defensive snaps...
    Panel to decide who should get vaccine first Florida man punches cab driver, screams ‘I’m Rick James, b--ch!’ Report: Carson Wentz was not happy about Eagles picking Jalen Hurts The calls for the Philadelphia Eagles to bench Carson Wentz in favor of rookie Jalen Hurts grow louder by the week, and the presence of the former Alabama star may actually be one of the reasons Wentz has struggled so much this season. © Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz (L) wasn't thrilled that the team drafted quarterback Jalen Hurts (R). ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler examined some of the factors that may be contributing to Wentz having the worst season of his career. One Eagles source told Fowler that the team’s decision to use a second-round draft pick on Hurts did not sit well with Wentz and caused him to “press.” The belief is that Wentz already had...
    Tom DeLay Fast Facts Trump files suit to overturn his loss in Wisconsin Sal Paolantonio Has Surprising Take on Carson Wentz Vs. Jalen Hurts Perhaps no NFL reporter embodies Philadelphia more right now than Sal Paolantonio. He's been ESPN's primary Eagles reporter since Randall Cunningham was their starting quarterback and has endured all the highs and lows along with fans for over 25 years. The point is, when he talks Eagles, smart people listen. © Provided by The Big Lead Sal Paolantonio interviewing Zach Ertz. | Brett Carlsen/Getty Images Which brings us to the current Eagles situation. Starting quarterback Carson Wentz has been terrible this year, leading the league in interceptions and sacks and ranking second in fumbles. Many people think Jalen Hurts should start over him. Paolantonio agrees, but for a different reason than anyone else I've heard. Sal Paolantonio says it is absolutely time to sit...
    Nasdaq to Corporate America: Make your boards more diverse or get out Centrist lawmakers push $908B plan to break virus impasse Back to School: How Carson Wentz has regressed on open seam routes If you watched Monday Night Football this week, you might have seen a play near the end of the first half from the Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Carson Wentz. The Eagles offense had their first good drive of the game going, and on a first-and-10 play Wentz tried to hit rookie wide receiver Jalen Reagor along the right sideline on a curl route. The pass fell incomplete, and could have been intercepted. © Provided by Touchdown Wire Immediately, both Brian Griese and Louis Riddick broke down the play, and highlighted what went wrong. Wentz had an opportunity to throw a seam route against single-high coverage, and ignored it, opting instead to throw a curl route along...
    Getty Eagles QB Carson Wentz has never beaten Seattle in his NFL career. There was one series on Monday at the start of the second quarter that really epitomized the Eagles’ 2020 campaign. Jalen Hurts entered the game, sans Carson Wentz, for a 2nd-and-9 and Matt Pryor was called for a false start penalty. Hurts stayed in, completed a six-yard pass, and Wentz returned. And immediately absorbed a six-yard sack on third down. Poof! Just like that, Hurts was gone in the blink of an eye. The Eagles punted on the next play and Hurts would see only one more offensive snap in the contest. The rookie quarterback finished 1-of-1 for six yards, along with a hand-off to Miles Sanders that went for zero yards. It was supposed to be Hurts’ coming-out party but the balloons are still in storage. “I thought the guys tonight, for the few...
    CDC advisers to vote Tuesday on who will be first in line for a vaccine After Decision in N.Y. Case, Kentucky School Asks SCOTUS to Nix COVID-19 Restrictions and Reopen Religious Schools An alarming Carson Wentz stat is going to make Eagles fans so sad Avert your eyes, Philadelphia Eagles fans. © Provided by For The Win Or maybe you already know that Carson Wentz is bad without looking into the numbers. We’ve also written that the Eagles need to bench him and dived in earlier this season to show how a lot of the offense’s problems are on him. But just how bad is he? Historically speaking, he’s actually doing something no other QB under the age of 30 has done. Per NFL Research, Wentz is the sixth quarterback to have his passer rating drop 24 points below his combined rating from his previous three years. The names...
    It’s no secret that Eagles fans have been disappointed with the play of Carson Wentz this season. Wentz entered Week 12 with an NFL-high 13 interceptions and six games throwing multiple picks. He was intercepted twice last week in a loss to the Browns. The quarterback hasn’t looked much better Monday night against the Seahawks, completing just 2 of 8 passes for 4 yards on Philadelphia’s first five possessions. Each of those Eagles drives resulted in a three-and-out. MORE: What’s wrong with Carson Wentz? Interceptions, sacks & Jalen Hurts questions surround Eagles QB Wentz finally found a rhythm on his sixth drive, getting it done both with his legs (two rushes for 33 yards) and his arm (5-of-9 passing, 26 yards, TD) to cut Philadelphia’s deficit to 14-6 at halftime. But it seems that many fans have already seen enough of Wentz this season, and want to see what second-round pick Jalen Hurts can do...
    Judge: ‘Precious little proof’ in Ga. election fraud suit Bidens economic team, Giving Tuesday, COVID-19: 5 things to know Tuesday Eagles, Carson Wentz are stuck with each other. And Philly can no longer dodge a painful rebuild. Over and over on Monday night, Carson Wentz was slow on his reads or slow on his release. It hardly mattered which. His indecisions or inability allowed Seattle defensive backs to close gaps and break up passes or linemen to wrap Wentz up for another sack (six of them in all).  Philadelphia eventually so simplified the offense that it looked like something a junior high team would run — lots of bubble screens. It was better than nothing, but only slightly. At a couple points during the first half, Eagles coach Doug Pederson put in backup Jalen Hurts. Yet rather than make a big change, Hurts lasted only one play. Then, Wentz...
    Kids lost ground when Covid shut schools — Black and Latino students were most affected Judge: ‘Precious little proof’ in Georgia election fraud suit Philadelphia Eagles, Carson Wentz falter again in loss to Seattle Seahawks. Could Jalen Hurts get a chance next? PHILADELPHIA — For those waiting for Jalen Hurts to take over at quarterback, it didn't happen despite a dreadful performance from Carson Wentz and the Eagles' offense. NFL Week 12 overreactions: This will not be Mahomes and Chiefs last trip to Tampa this season USA TODAY SPORTS See more videos SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL What to watch next Cant-Miss Play: Tip-drill TD! Rodgers one-hand snag secures score NFL Jeff Duncan: Saints defense is changing perceptions WVUE New Orleans Texans Colts Week 12 Sum Up SMG Baltimore Ravens Game Against Pittsburgh Steelers Moved For 3rd Time Due To COVID-19 CBS...
    PHILADELPHIA — DK Metcalf again made the Philadelphia Eagles regret passing him up in the draft. Metcalf caught 10 passes for 177 yards, Russell Wilson threw for 230 yards and a touchdown and the Seattle Seahawks beat the Eagles 23-17 on Monday night. The Seahawks (8-3) moved one game ahead of the Rams in the NFC West. The Eagles (3-7-1) fell a half-game behind the Giants and Washington in the woeful NFC East. The Giants are in first place via a tie breaker. Carson Wentz didn’t cede many snaps to backup Jalen Hurts but had another rough game. He was 25 of 45 for 215 yards, two TDs and one interception. Seattle’s defense entered the game allowing the most yards in the NFL and most yards passing but held Philadelphia’s inept offense to 250 yards. Metcalf was on the board when the Eagles took J.J. Arcega-Whiteside in the second round...
    PHILADELPHIA — DK Metcalf again made the Philadelphia Eagles regret passing him up in the draft. Metcalf caught 10 passes for 177 yards, Russell Wilson threw for 230 yards and a touchdown and the Seattle Seahawks beat the Eagles 23-17 on Monday night. The Seahawks (8-3) moved one game ahead of the Rams in the NFC West. The Eagles (3-7-1) fell a half-game behind the Giants and Washington in the woeful NFC East. The Giants are in first place via a tie breaker. Carson Wentz didn’t cede many snaps to backup Jalen Hurts but had another rough game. He was 25 of 45 for 215 yards, two TDs and one interception. Seattle’s defense entered the game allowing the most yards in the NFL and most yards passing but held Philadelphia’s inept offense to 250 yards. Metcalf was on the board when the Eagles took J.J. Arcega-Whiteside in the second round...
    Governor warns of further stay-at-home orders; Manson followers parole is blocked Giant Olympic rings return as Tokyo bids to build excitement DK Metcalf continues to haunt Eagles, who watch Carson Wentz struggle again in loss to Seahawks The Philadelphia Eagles weren’t the only team that screwed up when it came to DK Metcalf. Metcalf went with the 64th pick of the 2019 NFL draft. Many teams passed on him at least twice. If the Seattle Seahawks knew Metcalf was a superstar they showed it in a weird way. They drafted defensive end L.J. Collier and safety Marquise Blair before they took Metcalf. But it’s the Eagles who get brought up the most when it comes to Metcalf’s draft slide. Eagles fans have heard about it roughly a million times. That’s because Philadelphia drafted receiver J.J. Arcega-Whiteside before Metcalf. Arcega-Whiteside has 12 catches for 214 yards in his...
    Biggest county in the US under stay-at-home order Thousands stranded abroad as Australias restrictions take toll Referees missed this Carson Wentz intentional grounding penalty so badly The referees in Monday night’s Philadelphia Eagles-Seattle Seahawks game missed what should have been an intentional grounding penalty on Carson Wentz. © Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz came up short on a pass that should have drawn an intentional grounding penalty. Down 14-0 at home with just over two minutes remaining in the first half, the Eagles had the ball. Wentz fumbled a snap and was running around to avoid being tackled for a huge loss. He waited until he scrambled out of the pocket before launching the ball out of bounds. His pass was ruled incomplete, but it should have been intentional grounding. Why? Because his pass did not make it back to the line of scrimmage. the...
    Biggest county in the US under stay-at-home order Trump raises more than $150M appealing to false election claims ESPN announcer suggests Eagles have too much invested in Carson Wentz to bench him Carson Wentz has not played well this season, which has put the Philadelphia Eagles in a bad spot. © Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports The Eagles have invested so much in Carson Wentz, benching him would be an incredibly tough decision. The Eagles drafted Wentz No. 2 overall in 2016 and signed him to a massive contract extension last June. Ordinarily, when a quarterback has been as ineffective as Wentz has this season, and a team has a quarterback it drafted in the second round behind him, a switch is in order. ESPN’s announcers brought up the subject during the Eagles’ “Monday Night Football” game against the Seattle Seahawks and effectively said Philadelphia has too much money invested...
    Carson Wentz is not having fun on Monday Night.  Fans can look at the 2020 season as a glass half empty or half full. If you’re Philadelphia Eagles fans, it’s always half empty for you. Mitch Trubisky: No one can play worse than me in prime time Carson Wentz: pic.twitter.com/HPNP1O9FBt — SNY (@SNYtv) December 1, 2020 Wentz did manage to rebound off the fumble and instigate a 15-play drive that ended with a touchdown to Dallas Goedert. Overall, his numbers are horrendous even with that play, going 7-of-17 for 30 passing yards and taking three sacks. The @Eagles cap off a 15-play, 75-yard drive with a Carson Wentz TD to Dallas Goedert! #FlyEaglesFly ????: #SEAvsPHI on ESPN????: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app: https://t.co/zmAJGTFGBG pic.twitter.com/OsxSo6G1JF — NFL (@NFL) December 1, 2020 This is also against the worst passing defense in the league right now. Does he know that?...
    Carson Wentz has hung his head a lot during the 2020 season, and while it isn’t all his fault, he’s deservedly shouldered some of the blame. The Eagles’ fifth-year quarterback has already matched his career-high in interceptions thrown entering Week 12. He’s getting sacked more than ever before. And the Eagles are struggling to win games even in a putrid NFC East division. It’s brought on calls for Jalen Hurts and wondering about how long Wentz’s big contract will be on Philadelphia’s books. All told, Wentz is having the worst season of his NFL career. While football is a complicated game and there’s no way to get inside Wentz’s head, some of the stats, facts and visuals help tell the story. Here are some of the reasons why Wentz’s 2020 has been such a mess. MORE: What should the Eagles do at QB in 2021? Carson Wentz’s turnover problem Entering...
    Getty Jordan Matthews was traded from the Philadelphia Eagles to the Buffalo Bills on August 11. Hindsight is always 20/20, right? But Eagles fans have been taking it to telescopic levels when reviewing the ghosts of NFL drafts past. DK Metcalf and Justin Jefferson are the two biggest names being mentioned as guys the Eagles missed out on. Here’s a new one for you: Davante Adams. The Packers receiver has morphed into one of the league’s premier pass-catchers, racking up 908 yards on 74 receptions and 11 touchdowns in 2020. Adams clearly has the trust of his future Hall-of-Fame quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, as evidenced by a whopping 99 targets in just nine games this year. The three-time Pro Bowler is undoubtedly on his way to another all-star game, maybe even his first All-Pro nod. What’s this have to do with the Eagles? Well, he was on the board...
    The Eagles are stuck. In some ways, it can’t be bad to have a former No. 2 overall pick and a Heisman Trophy runner-up as your two quarterback options, and that’s what Philadelphia has in Carson Wentz and Jalen Hurts. But Wentz’s struggles and questions about Hurts’ long-term viability as a passer, along with a poor 2020 season in general, bring up the discussion of the Eagles’ future at the quarterback position. The simplest answer, though, is this: Wentz and Hurts are the future. Wentz’s contract and Hurts’ recent draft position make it unlikely that Philadelphia will have a different starter by choice, at least through the end of 2020 and into 2021. All bets are off if the Eagles choose to make sweeping changes to their coaching staff and front office, but with the current group in place, it’s pretty much a choice between Wentz and Hurts. Below, we...
    The Eagles, at 3-6-1, desperately need an offensive spark to boost their chances of winning the weak NFC East. They hope it will come from playing more of rookie backup quarterback Jalen Hurts in Week 12. Hurts, the second-round pick from Oklahoma, has played only 31 snaps behind Carson Wentz in Philadelphia’s 10 games. With his previous 13 touches as a runner and receiver, Hurts has gained 59 yards. He’s completed both of his first two NFL pass attempts for a total of 27 more yards. Hurts also has fumbled three times in his limited ball-handling. But according to multiple reports, with Wentz continuing to struggle, Hurts is set to see more legitimate snaps at QB on Monday night against the Seahawks — without Wentz on the field.  NFC LEAST: Who will join this list of worst NFL division winners? That could mean anything from more “Wildcat” looks where Hurts...
    Getty Jamal Adams responded to questions about his coverage ability. Maybe it hasn’t been a season to remember for Carson Wentz, but the Seahawks aren’t fooled by his career-worst numbers. All-Pro safety Jamal Adams knows what the former MVP candidate is capable of and what type of quarterback he is. He’ll be prepared should the old Wentz make a cameo appearance on “Monday Night Football.” “I know a lot of people were talking down on his game, but we know what type of quarterback he is,” Adams told reporters, via the Seahawks website. “He’s an outstanding quarterback that has proven that he can do it. He can make all the throws, so we’re preparing like any other quarterback, it’s not a let-down, it’s no looking down on him and the season he’s had.” Adams might want to study up on backup Jalen...
    Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie reportedly is so disgusted with his team that he skipped last week’s loss against the Browns. Lurie’s frustration has been “mounting” with the 3-6-1 team, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The team denied the report, saying the owner skipped the game — perhaps his first since buying the team in 1994 — due to spiking COVID-19 cases. The outlet also reported that Lurie has left workouts early “out of disgust.” Lurie, 69, is expected to be at the Eagles game Monday night in Philadelphia. Despite his team’s record, the Eagles are still in second place in the wide-open NFC East behind the Washington Football Team (4-7). Part of the Eagles’ struggles have been due to the play of franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, who leads the NFL with 14 interceptions and thus is expected to see less time against the Seahawks. Rookie Jalen Hurts has been...
    Getty Eagles QB Carson Wentz fumbled twice on Sunday but did not turn the football over. It’s been deemed a near impossibility to move on from Carson Wentz in Philadelphia. The weight of his enormous contract, plus the long-term investment in draft picks make it a permanent marriage. However, there are a few options for the Eagles to consider if they ever get serious about making a change under center. With a recent bombshell report claiming that Jalen Hurts will see increased snaps, let’s take a look at Wentz’s future. OverTheCap’s Jason Fitzgerald outlined several scenarios to free Philly from their fading franchise quarterback’s contract, including possible trades to Cleveland, Indianapolis or Chicago. The Colts, as previously rumored, make the most sense but if Baker Mayfield continues to struggle maybe the Browns would pull the trigger. It’s an interesting and new take...
    Philadelphia Eagles fans’ cries for help have finally been heard -- sort of.  Rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts will reportedly see more snaps during Monday’s game against the Seattle Seahawks as Carson Wentz continues to play one of his worst seasons in the NFL.  NFL RULES WOULDN’T ALLOW COLIN KAEPERNICK TO HELP  COVID-19-STRICKEN BRONCOS  According to NFL Network, Wentz will start the game but Hurts is expected to come in for a significant amount of snaps. In 31 snaps, Hurts has thrown the ball just twice for just 27 yards.  Head coach Doug Pederson has refused to bench Wentz despite his struggles this season and on Wednesday recommitted himself to staying with him as the starter.  The Eagles are 3-6-1, but remain in contention for a playoff berth in the dismal NFC East. LIONS FIRE  MATT PATRICIA, BOB QUINN AFTER ANOTHER POOR  START TO SEASON "Is Carson my starter? He's my starter,...
    Getty Doug Pederson guided the Eagles to a Super Bowl title in 2018 and is sticking with the "world championship" offense that got him there. Anyone who listens to Doug Pederson’s press conferences can hear the frustration in his voice and in his meandering answers. He is guiding what appears to be a sinking ship with no Flex Tape. There have been growing calls that Pederson could be let go if the Eagles don’t win the NFC East. Maybe that’s what he wants. According to The Inquirer’s Paul Domowitch, Pederson “wouldn’t be totally unhappy if he ends up getting fired.” His stress level over losing as well as a perceived unequal say in personnel decisions, including whether to bench Carson Wentz, has reportedly made the job unbearable. It’s not the first time this theory has been thrown out there either. Here’s what Domowitch wrote about the deteriorating situation...
    Getty Former Cowboys CB and NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders always has an opinion ready to go. Deion Sanders has never been one to hold back his opinion. He was a flamboyant trash-talker during his playing days and now the NFL legend gets paid for his expert commentary. So people listened when “Prime Time” went on record saying Carson Wentz isn’t the future of the Eagles. They listened even more intently after Sanders revealed he had heard those words from Wentz’s teammates. Sanders, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011, left his cushy TV gig at NFL Network last August to accept the head-coaching job at Jackson State. But Sanders still tells it as he sees it and his vast network of NFL sources runs deep. In a recent appearance on Barstool Sports’ Pardon My Take,...
    Coronavirus updates: Every hour, 65 Americans are dying; AstraZeneca plans additional trial after error; hospitalizations hit record, again The midnight confrontation that helped unleash Ethiopias conflict Carson Wentz tries to save season, and maybe keep his job, as Eagles face Seahawks on Yahoo Sports app It’s understandable why we want to make excuses for Carson Wentz. Wentz was a dynamic player for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2017 before a season-ending knee injury. He was a leading candidate for MVP. Patrick Mahomes was still at Texas Tech, and Wentz was considered the future of the NFL. It’s hard to believe that player we saw early in his career has fallen off. We’d rather blame his lack of a supporting cast. Wentz’s play has fallen off. We’ve heard all about how his offensive line is in shambles and his receivers are subpar, but that doesn’t totally absolve Wentz of blame....
    Getty Daniel Jones #8 of the New York Giants throws a pass in the second quarter against the Washington Football Team. After rallying off two consecutive victories, the New York Giants return from their bye week a mere half-game out of first. With the NFC East anyone’s game, the question now is, who will pull away over the next six weeks and claim their rightful place atop the division? ESPN’s Dan Orlovsky, a former 12-year NFL veteran, knows who he’s got his money on. ALL the latest Giants news straight to your inbox! Subscribe to the Heavy on Giants newsletter here! Sign up for the Heavy on Giants Newsletter! Orlovsky Trusts Daniel Jones, Pegs Giants as Best NFC East Team“The New York Giants,” Orlovsky responded when asked by ESPN’s Get Up host Mike Greenberg which is the best team in the NFC East. “I broke it down to...
    Getty Travis Fulgham celebrates with Carson Wentz. The assertion that Carson Wentz is a “broken” quarterback has led to screams for the Eagles to simplify their offense, maybe remove a few voices from the gameplan. There was even a report floating around claiming the team had “dumbed down” the play-calling for Wentz in an effort to eliminate him from running through his progressions. If true, it’s the first indication that the organization is worried. On Wednesday, Wentz told reporters that no drastic changes had been made to either the offense or the gameplan but the face of the franchise did admit to it being “tweaked.” That is a product of the dizzying influence of so many offensive minds in the room — the Eagles have six coaches chirping in Wentz’s ear over one offensive coordinator — as well as the rotating personnel at the skill positions. None of...
    The Eagles are doing their best to try to help Carson Wentz succeed within his limitations. A confidential source close to the Eagles told NJ Advance Media that the Philadelphia coaching staff has been fruitlessly trying to design simpler plays that lessen the load on their struggling signal-caller, whose performance this season has become a liability to the team. “Carson is a broken quarterback,” the source said. “Even when he throws a good ball, he’s skittish and unsure.” The 27-year-old fifth-year QB has completed 220 of 377 attempts this season (58.4 percent) for 2,326 yards, 24 touchdowns and a NFL leading 14 interceptions, which ties his career high (2016) through just ten games. He has led the team to a 3-6-1 record. The three wins came against a Nick Mullens-led 49ers team, the Giants and the Cowboys. Their strategy aims to ensure a receiver is open immediately so Wentz will...
    As Week 12 of the fantasy football season arrives, fantasy owners will rejoice at the fact there are no byes. Though there are still two teams (Carolina, Tampa) who will be off in Week 13, the entire NFL will be in action in Week 12, so the only thing thinning out fantasy football rankings will be injuries. That said, start ’em, sit ’em decisions will still be difficult because of the newfound depth and abundance of potential sleepers. Our sleeper picks last week were solid overall. At RB, Kalen Ballage racked up seven catches while La’Mical Perine found the end zone on his first carry of the game. At QB, Kirk Cousins had his best day of the year (three TDs), and Cam Newton threw for 365 yards, his second most in a game this year. Among pass-catchers, Curtis Samuel had a big day while Emmanuel Sanders and Jalen Reagor put up...
    The Eagles are doing their best to try to help Carson Wentz succeed within his limitations. A confidential source close to the Eagles told NJ Advance Media that the Philadelphia coaching staff has been fruitlessly trying to design simpler plays that lessen the load on their struggling signal-caller, whose performance this season has become a liability to the team. “Carson is a broken quarterback,” the source said. “Even when he throws a good ball, he’s skittish and unsure.” The 27-year-old fifth-year QB has completed 220 of 377 attempts this season (58.4 percent) for 2,326 yards, 24 touchdowns and a NFL leading 14 interceptions, which ties his career high (2016) through just ten games. He has led the team to a 3-6-1 record. The three wins came against a Nick Mullens-led 49ers team, the Giants and the Cowboys. Their strategy aims to ensure a receiver is open immediately so Wentz will...
    Getty Carson Wentz and Doug Pederson do not appear to be on the same page so far in 2020. At first, Doug Pederson seemed hesitant to declare Carson Wentz his starter during his media availability on Wednesday. It took a series of prodding, sometimes leading, questions to finally get him to say that “he’s my starter” for the Eagles-Seahawks battle on “Monday Night Football.” Reading between the lines, there may be enough hesitation to think a quarterback change is possible. Pederson was answering a general question about how much he listens to the outside noise. Fans and media have been clamoring for Jalen Hurts to replace Wentz after 10 mostly lackluster starts. The Eagles coach went into great detail about how he ignores printed media and sports-talk radio in Philly. However, Pederson did admit that “tough decisions” have to be made, including moving on from players. “Tough decisions...
    Carson Wentz has one more shot to prove himself in 2020 before it is time to send him to the bench. The Philadelphia Eagles being in first place in the NFC East is more of a punchline than something to celebrate. The team is 3-6-1 after a sloppy loss to the Cleveland Browns and is somehow still a half-game ahead of the three other teams in the division. A week prior against the New York Giants was even worse. Wentz did not throw a touchdown in the 27-17 loss and managed 208 yards on 21-of-37 passing. Wentz does not have a game this season without double-digit incompletions. This is also an indictment on the lack of weapons at the skill positions around him. Yet once again, he is being paid as one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. He is supposed to be able to carry an offense and...
    Getty Eagles coach Doug Pederson might be on the hot seat in Philadelphia despite leading the NFC East. Doug Pederson’s seat is getting warm in Philadelphia. Not Dante’s Interno, just mildly hot. It would still be a shock to see the Eagles fire the only coach to deliver a Super Bowl title in franchise history after one abysmal year. Especially if the team hangs on to win the NFC East. However, Pederson is catching all kinds of criticism in Year 5. And his snippy press conferences — albeit sometimes justified — aren’t winning him any fans in the Philly media. There is a growing sense that the organization might have to decide between keeping Pederson or franchise quarterback Carson Wentz. The two aren’t clicking and Wentz is on the books for $128 million, including $55.4 million over the next two seasons. Sports...
    Carson Wentz still has Doug Pederson’s vote of confidence ahead of the Eagles’ Week 12 matchup with the Seahawks on “Monday Night Football.” But a few of Philadelphia’s upcoming opponents think it’s time for Jalen Hurts to be given a chance. Seattle’s DK Metcalf and DeeJay Dallas both voiced their opinions on Instagram on Monday night, saying that they think it’s time for the Eagles to start Hurts instead of Wentz. Metcalf, a second-year receiver, and Dallas, a rookie running back, are just the latest to add fuel to the fire surrounding Wentz’s job security. Below is the Instagram post on which Metcalf and Dallas both commented. Their answers are in response to a question posed by ESPN betting analyst Jordan Schultz.  MORE: Colin Kaepernick continues training for return to NFL Sporting News’ Joe Rivera recently analyzed the decision-making behind keeping Wentz as the starting quarterback in Philadelphia, and...
    Distance learning may put snow days on thin ice Analysis: Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham start to adjust to the reality of a Biden presidency The Eagles Did Themselves No Favors With Carson Wentz Contract Structure © Provided by The Big Lead Carson Wentz and Doug Pederson | Mitchell Leff/Getty Images Carson Wentz has undergone a stunning transformation at quarterback. This time last year, he was comfortably seated as the signal-caller of both the near and far future for the Philadelphia Eagles. Fast forward 12 months, and just about everybody is demanding the Eagles bench Wentz and start literally anybody else, ideally 2020 second-round pick Jalen Hurts. That might feel like a bit of an overreaction if you're only a casual viewer of NFL football, but he really has been that bad. Wentz has thrown 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in 10 games this season. He's lost four fumbles...