Monday, Mar 08, 2021 - 04:44:52
1000 results - (0.005 seconds)

by President:

Lionel Messi, Joan Laporta. Getty/Alex Caparros/NurPhoto FC Barcelona has "repeatedly lied" to Lionel Messi over the years. That's according to former and potential next president Joan Laporta, or also believes he is the only man who can convince the Argentine to stay at the Camp Nou. Laporta served as Barcelona's president between 2003 and 2010, and is running for re-election next month. "I am sure Messi wants to continue at Barca," Laporta told ESPN. "The priority is to make a proposal to Lionel that convinces him to stay. I hope I arrive in time. And I have an advantage: Messi's trust." Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. One of the top candidates to be FC Barcelona's next president, Joan Laporta, says the club has "repeatedly lied" to Lionel Messi over the years, but that he still believes he can convince the Argentine to stay at the Camp Nou....
    MILTON, Georgia — Ivanka Trump rallied Monday afternoon for Republican Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler, telling Georgians they will decide if America’s government turns oppressive or if the country remains free. Trump drew a crowd of around 2,000 to Fulton County, where she said voters will decide “whether our children grow up under an oppressive government or whether America will remain the land of the free.” Democrat candidates Jon Ossoff and Rev. Raphael Warnock are challenging Perdue and Loeffler in Georgia’s upcoming Senate runoff election on January 5, and if both Democrats were to win, Republicans would lose their Senate majority. “This is the most important congressional runoff in our nation’s history,” Trump said, echoing words from her father’s rally in the Peach State earlier in the month. The president’s family has made a massive push for voters to turn out for the election, with Donald Trump Jr. campaigning...
    A struggle has developed within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) whereby President Trump's abortion and conscience-related agendas encountered roadblocks from the Office of General Counsel (OGC), multiple sources allege. "President Trump got more pro-life and religious liberty wins than other Republican presidents, and I was honored to fight on his team," a former administration official told Fox News. "But we could have done even more if swampy Republican appointees weren't constantly pushing back." That former official was one of three who told Fox News that OGC had stalled the Office of Civil Rights (OCR), which has served as a conduit for controversial measures surrounding gender, sexuality, and abortion. And despite making several strides on conservative issues, other major initiatives under OCR's purview appeared to be unresolved. March for Life Action President Tom McClusky previously warned about OGC's influence, noting in August that the OGC attorney overseeing OCR, Aaron Schuham, was...
    President Donald Trump is “hurting himself” and “hurting the country” by continuing to challenge November’s presidential election, former Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) told Breitbart News Sunday host Joel Pollak on December 20. Pollak asked, “Speaking of presidential decisions, my political editor is prompting me to ask you about Trump’s decision to keep the challenges going to the election, some of the lawsuits and so forth, maybe even a strategy to challenge the electoral college vote certification in Congress. Do you think that the president is hurting himself by keeping these challenges going, or should he continue the fight?” Christie stated, “I think he’s hurting himself, and I think he’s hurting the country by keeping it going. In fact, I’m a big supporter of the president. I was the first one of his 2016 opponents to endorse him. We’ve been friends for 20 years. I prepared him for his debates in...
    Former acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney offered a bleak assessment of the Trump campaign's legal efforts to overturn the election. Mulvaney, who served as President Trump's top aide from January 2019 to March 2020, called the campaign's strategy "not a serious legal inquiry” during a Monday interview with Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo. Bartiromo prefaced a question to Mulvaney by bringing up the Trump campaign's first independent Supreme Court filing, in hopes of reversing actions taken by Pennsylvania's high court. The campaign aims to reverse three Pennsylvania Supreme Court cases that changed the state's mail balloting laws immediately before and after this year's election. “Mick, what do you make of this suit? Could this be a potential win for President Trump?” she asked. “Potentially, sure. But I think we'd have to be honest with ourselves, Maria; no one’s been impressed with the results of the legal team...
    An attorney who worked for the Department of Justice has written a confessional New York Times op-ed about her work for President Donald Trump’s administration, saying that while she had good intentions, she now feels they enabled Trump’s “assault on our democracy” and is “haunted” by guilt. Erica Newland worked for the DOJ’s Office of Legal Counsel from 2016-2018, originally joining during the end of President Barack Obama’s term. She stayed on, she explains, because she “believed she could better serve our country by pushing back from within,” but now regrets that decision. As Newland describes, she and the other DOJ attorneys made Trump’s executive orders “less destructive” and more likely to survive judicial scrutiny. My job was to tailor the administration’s executive actions to make them lawful — in narrowing them, I could also make them less destructive. I remained committed to trying to uphold my oath even...
    (CNN)On January 20, President-elect Joe Biden will inherit hundreds of vacant positions in the federal government that can only be filled via presidential nomination and Senate confirmation. JUST WATCHED'Like golden nuggets': Trump on federal judge vacanciesReplayMore Videos ...MUST WATCH'Like golden nuggets': Trump on federal judge vacancies 02:54 To allow a new President time to vet potential nominees for these vacancies, the "Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998" (commonly called the Vacancies Act) provides a generous 300-day window during which the President can decide who to nominate. In the meantime, the President can temporarily and unilaterally fill these positions with "acting" officers. For vacancies that arise later in a President's term, that time limit is slightly shortened to 210 days. Acting officers help keep the gears of federal government in motion, but they're not ideal because they haven't been scrutinized by the Senate. As Alexander Hamilton explained in the Federalist...
    SATURDAY Night Live hilariously mocked vice president Mike Pence in a sketch last night, claiming that he "let the country burn" during President Trump's four years in office. The NBC comedy show satirized Pence's Covid-19 vaccination six months after he claimed the US was "winning the fight" against the disease. 4SNL satirically mocked vice president Mike Pence receiving the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine in a sketchCredit: Saturday Night Live 4Actor Beck Bennett, who played Pence, accused the veep of 'letting the country burn' during President Trump's four years in officeCredit: Getty Images - Getty The US has reported over 17.4million cases and 307,831 fatalities throughout the pandemic, according to the Covid Tracking Project. "I'm sure all Americans are excited to see me, the guy who let Covid spread everywhere, get one of the first vaccines," said Pence, who was being played by SNL cast member and actor Beck Bennett....
    SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH, UNITED STATES - 2017/12/02: Thousands of people converged on the steps of Utah's State Capital building to protest President Trump's plan to shrink protected areas across the country. (Photo by Michael Nigro/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)Photo by Michael Nigro/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images Let our journalists help you make sense of the noise: Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily newsletter and get a recap of news that matters.This story was originally published by High Country News When President Donald Trump took office in January 2017, many tribal leaders took a wait-and-see approach, given his poor record on Indigenous affairs. Four years later, Indian Country has weathered a failed pandemic response, budget cuts, and diminished environmental regulations. Over the span of his administration, many leadership positions in the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Interior Department were left empty or filled by appointees never vetted by Congress. The annual White House...
    MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said he spoke with U.S. President-elect Joe Biden by phone Saturday, five days after he sent a tardy and somewhat chilly letter of congratulations to Biden. "We reaffirmed our commitment to work together for the good of our peoples and our countries,” López Obrador wrote in his social media accounts. López Obrador and Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, finally congratulated Biden only after the Electoral College vote confirmed his victory. The two were the last major Latin American leaders to send congratulations. Both López Obrador and Bolsonaro were seen as friendly to President Donald Trump. The Mexican president has stressed that maintaining good relations with the United States — Mexico’s northern neighbor and by far its top trading partner — is one of his top priorities. López Obrador said he intentionally waited until the Electoral College vote before writing to Biden....
    MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said he spoke with U.S. President-elect Joe Biden by phone Saturday, five days after he sent a tardy and somewhat chilly letter of congratulations to Biden. “We reaffirmed our commitment to work together for the good of our peoples and our countries,” López Obrador wrote in his social media accounts. López Obrador and Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, finally congratulated Biden only after the Electoral College vote confirmed his victory. The two were the last major Latin American leaders to send congratulations. Both López Obrador and Bolsonaro were seen as friendly to President Donald Trump. The Mexican president has stressed that maintaining good relations with the United States — Mexico’s northern neighbor and by far its top trading partner — is one of his top priorities. López Obrador said he intentionally waited until the Electoral College vote before...
    MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Saturday said he had spoken by telephone with U.S. President-elect Joe Biden, saying both leaders reaffirmed their commitment to working together for the benefit of the neighboring nations. (Reporting by Anthony Esposito and Miguel Angel Gutierrez; Editing by Daniel Wallis) Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters. Tags: United States, Mexico
    Reuters December 19, 2020 0 Comments Hunkered down in what one former White House official called the “presidential man cave” of the Oval Office, President Donald Trump does not want to talk about what lies ahead once he leaves office next month. Several people familiar with the situation say he knows his time is up even as he presses the fight against the election outcome, despite having failed in a series of court challenges to overturn the results of the Nov. 3 election that made Democrat Joe Biden president-elect. With Monday’s Electoral College vote certifying Biden’s win, White House staff members are looking for jobs and planning their post-administration futures. First lady Melania Trump has looked for a school in Florida, where the couple is expected to reside, for their son Barron, People magazine reported. A source close to Trump says he does not want to talk about the...
    Melania Trump thinks her stepdaughter Ivanka Trump will do 'what it takes to get what she wants,' including undermine the first lady by 'poaching' staff members and making her 'irrelevant', a former associate of the president's wife claims. Stephanie Winston Wolkoff was an unpaid, informal adviser to the first lady in the East Wing of the White House until February 2018, when she left the position after she was blamed by the Trumps for alleged financial improprieties by the president's inaugural committee. In September, she released a new book, Melania & Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady, in which she first claimed that there was bad blood between the two women closest to President Donald Trump. In an interview with The New Abnormal podcast hosted by Rick Wilson and Molly Jong-Fast of The Daily Beast, Wolkoff describes the 39-year-old Ivanka as ‘Donald in a suit.’ DailyMail.com...
    In his farewell speech to Congress on Thursday, freshman Rep. Joe Cunningham of South Carolina made it one for the road, cracking open a can of beer in a toast to his fellow members as he signed off from his one term in office. He called for Democrats and Republicans to do a better job of working together for the sake of the country as he noted his own achievements in crossing the aisle, claiming the 'other side is not the enemy'.  Cunningham, 38, also used his last words as a congressman to call out what he believes is the hypocrisy and divisiveness of other House members.  In particular, he referenced members of the Republican party for hypocrisy regarding President Donald Trump.  Scroll down for video  South Carolina Rep. Joe Cunningham cracked open a beer at the end of his farewell speech Cunningham, a Democrat, lost his reelection...
    Donald Trump has left United States vulnerable to cyberattacks like the one allegedly carried out by Russia when he gutted cybersecurity funds to pay for his border wall, a former FBI deputy claims. This week, officials revealed details about an alleged attack that has struck a number of government agencies and private organizations. As The Inquisitr reported, the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued a warning this week that federal, state, and local governments faced a “grave risk” from the cyber intrusion, as did private companies. The organization said the intrusion started in March and remains ongoing, with hackers targeting a number of federal agencies including the Department of Homeland Security, the Pentagon, the U.S. Postal Service, and the National Institutes of Health. Frank Figliuzzi, a former FBI deputy director for counterintelligence, said that Trump left the government vulnerable to this cyberattack. Speaking on MSNBC, he said that Russians...
    President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20 will mark a dramatic shift in domestic and international policy. Nathan Sheets, PGIM Fixed Income chief economist and former under secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs under the Obama administration, told CNBC's "Trading Nation" that Biden's Cabinet picks already mark a departure from the Trump era. "They are committed to having a clean process, deliberative and transparent kinds of policies," Sheets said of Biden's Cabinet selections. "So I think what that means for markets is that the era of government by tweet is very much in the rearview mirror, and it's going to be less uncertain and a more transparent kind of communication." Those picks include former chief of staff to Vice President Biden Ron Klain as White House chief of staff; former deputy national security advisor Antony Blinken as secretary of State; and former Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen as Treasury...
    (CNN)As the days of the Trump presidency wind down, the picture of how his tenure in office compares with that of his predecessors is becoming clearer. It's long been known that President Donald Trump's actions in office have upended the norms of the presidency — from his use of social media to make major announcements to his use of the pardon power to the amount of turnover in his administration. The story of the Trump presidency cannot be fully told in numbers. But these numbers illustrate some of the many ways Trump and his administration defied the status quo of the executive branch. TweetsWhile Barack Obama was the first US president to fully harness the power of modern social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, no American president has used social media — specifically, Twitter — like Trump.Read MoreTrump has continued to tweet more with each additional year in...
    Washington (CNN)As Kamala Harris prepares for the vice presidency, she is learning from a person who knows more about the job than almost anyone in the world: President-elect Joe Biden.Harris has told people close to her that she wants to shape her vice presidency after the way Biden worked with President Barack Obama over eight years: testing and pushing the administration in private, while in public remaining a dedicated and loyal lieutenant. Harris, in effect, wants to be Biden's Biden and has spent the past several weeks playing a key role in the formation of the next administration, interviewing each eventual Cabinet nominee and spending considerable time talking to Biden about the process, sources said. She has also worked to get to know the President-elect by talking on the phone nearly every day, something Harris believes will help her better understand the kind of partner Biden wants her to be....
    Fundraising by President-elect Joe Biden's planning committee for the inauguration has stoked the ire of the party's left flank by seeking big-dollar contributions. In keeping with this year's scaled-back campaign, the events marking Biden's inauguration will be mostly virtual, with a "footprint" that the Biden-Harris Presidential Inauguration Committee billed in a statement this week as "extremely limited." Still, the committee is inviting donors to give lavishly, itemized packages that include networking and photo opportunities, according to a menu of options published by the New York Times. Corporations giving between $500,000 and $1 million, and individuals giving half that amount, will score virtual face time with Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, “preferred viewing” for the Jan. 20 ceremony, "VIP" swag and online concerts "participation," and something of an IOU with four VIP tickets to a “future in-person event." They'll also net virtual invites to briefings with senior committee...
    Loading the player... As the vaccine for COVID-19 is made available, political leaders fall in line for the immunization. According to CNN, President-elect Joe Biden will get the coronavirus vaccination next week and plans to receive the shot publicly to aid against public distrust against the vaccine. Read More: Trump says he’s nixing plan for early vaccine at White House Sources told the news outlet the delay in taking the virus comes down to mapping out proper logistics for the event to be made public rather than hesitation. “I don’t want to get ahead of the line, but I want to make sure we demonstrate to the American people that it is safe to take,” Biden said, according to the report. “When I do it, I’ll do it publicly, so you can all witness my getting it done.” Earlier this month, the former vice president informed CNN’s Jake Tapper he would be willing to get...
    Madison Summers December 17, 2020 0 Comments Singer Cher is weighing in on politics and her thoughts on President-elect Joe Biden. Speaking with CNN in an interview, Cher touched on the recent presidential election. Cher, who has known Biden for 15 years, compared the former vice president to former President Jimmy Carter during her interview. She said both Biden and Carter desire to “help the American People.” She also said of Biden, offering him praise, “I adore him, I love him.” “And I am sorry that they are trying to hogtie him so that he can’t do anything, because he’s such a great man [with a] great heart. He wants to do so many things, and they’re all good,” she added. Cher also declared, “When Joe says it, I think by hook or by crook, he’s going to get it done.” The singer made her endorsement of Biden early...
    I believe the outgoing Trump administration should appoint a special counsel to investigate President-elect Joe Biden’s son Hunter, especially regarding Hunter’s connections to China, which could pose a threat to our national security.   I’m not a fan of special counsels, since I was one of the people dragged over the coals by Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of bogus charges that the Trump presidential campaign colluded with Russia in 2016 to help Donald Trump be elected president. I was collateral damage in an effort by senior officials in the intelligence community, the Justice Department and the Obama administration to undermine the Trump administration. TRUMP ASKING ABOUT POTENTIAL SPECIAL COUNSEL TO INVESTIGATE HUNTER BIDEN AFTER BARR RESIGNATION It is especially galling since we now know through declassified documents and handwritten notes and testimony of those involved that there was never substance to the Russia collusion story or the prosecution of...
    After he is inaugurated as president on Jan. 20, Joe Biden will face the enormous task of repairing the damage to our country and our democracy caused by outgoing President Trump, whose entire presidency has been focused on benefiting himself rather than the American people. And make no mistake: despite Trump pretending he still has a way of overturning the votes of 81.3 million Americans who elected Biden as our next president, the 306-232 vote by the Electoral College on Monday in favor of Biden finalized the former vice president’s victory. On top of his impressive Electoral College win, Biden received over 7 million more popular votes more than Trump. Trump’s baseless and ridiculous claims of voter fraud supposedly carried out by both Democrats and Republican officials to benefit Biden have been rejected by dozens of state and federal courts and even the U.S. Supreme Court. DONNA BRAZILE: JOE BIDEN...
    (CNN)President Donald Trump won't be administered a coronavirus vaccine until it's recommended by the White House medical team, a White House official told CNN on Wednesday.The official said Trump is still receiving the benefits of the monoclonal antibody cocktail he was given during his recovery from Covid-19 earlier in the fall.Once Trump moves into a timing window to receive vaccination, he is likely to get his shot at that point, the official added. Trump's situation differs from that of Vice President Mike Pence, who is set to receive his vaccination in the coming days, the official noted. Pence has not contracted the virus, the official pointed out, meaning the vice president's need for vaccination is more pressing. Pence's inoculation is expected to be made public, the official said.The official went on to say the President continues to be open to getting vaccinated. But the official cautioned Trump also wants to...
    SICK racist abuse sent to Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies and his footballer girlfriend has been slammed by the club's president. Davies' partner Jordyn Huitema plays for Paris Saint-Germain and a picture she uploaded of the couple to Instagram in August received horrific comments. 2Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies and fellow footballer and girlfriend Jordyn Huitema were left racist abuse in comments on this holiday photo 2Davies, 20, and Huitema, 19, have been together for three yearsCredit: Instagram @jordynhuitema Sickening messages referring to the colour of Davies' skin were left on the photo of the Ghana-born star, 20, and his 19-year-old girlfriend of three years. The image of the Canadian internationals on holiday in Ibiza attracted over 14,000 comments and last week both Davis and Huitema highlighted the "disgusting" nature of many of them. Bayern president Herbert Hainer told Bild: "Our club stands for cosmopolitanism. The racist hostility will not...
    President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris handily won the election in New York, but Long Island voters told a different story. President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence narrowly won the vote in Suffolk County, while Biden and Harris took Nassau County by nearly 10 percentage points. In Nassau, Biden and Harris received 396,504 votes (54.1 percent). Trump and Pence garnered 326,716 votes (44.60 percent). In Suffolk, the incumbents tallied 381,253 votes (49.4 percent) versus 381,021 (49.4 percent) for the challengers. In total, Biden received 5,230,985 votes (60.9 percent) in New York to Trump’s 3,244,798 (37.7 percent) to claim the state’s 29 electoral votes. Biden flipped four counties Trump won four years ago, and claimed victory in the majority of upstate New York's largest cities. No states went from red to blue during this election. It took more than a month for the election results to become...
    Photograph: Elizabeth Frantz/Reuters The former South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg has been tapped by Joe Biden to serve as secretary of transportation. The president-elect’s decision comes as he rounds out his cabinet of top officials to run federal agencies. Buttigieg is one of the few white men Biden has picked to serve as a cabinet secretary. Related: Biden campaigns for Georgia Senate Democrats following electoral college victory Biden’s decision to approach Buttigieg was confirmed to the Guardian by a source close to the mayor. Biden’s transition team declined to comment and neither the president-elect or Buttigieg said anything publicly about the appointment. Buttigieg, 38, ran an upstart presidential campaign and proved to be a competitive candidate with a knack for building a notable warchest. After he dropped out of the Democratic primary for president, he quickly endorsed Biden. Buttigieg’s name had floated around lists for multiple cabinet positions. He...
    CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta has fired back at White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany for apparent hypocrisy in a tense press conference.  McEnany wrapped up the briefing by accusing the mainstream media of bias coverage and claiming that not enough attention was given to the FBI investigation into Hunter Biden's taxes. 3White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany holds a briefing at the White House in Washington, DC on Tuesday, December 15, 2020. Credit: AFP or licensors “Really interesting turn of events, and good for those who covered what was a story all along and not Russian disinformation,” she added after pointing out a change of tone from some publications. McEnany then walked off the podium without taking any more questions. But Acosta wasn't having it. “Isn’t it hypocritical of you to accuse others of disinformation when you spread it every day?” he yelled at the press secretary as she walked away. 3CNN chief White...
    (CNN)President-elect Joe Biden on Tuesday slammed Georgia's two Republican senators, saying that David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler "stood by" and "fully embraced nullifying nearly 5 million Georgia votes." Biden held a drive-in rally in Atlanta as early voting kicked off this week ahead of the January 5 runoffs between Perdue and Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff and Loeffler and Rev. Raphael Warnock. If Democrats win both races, they would wrest control of the Senate from the GOP, wiping out Republicans' two-vote majority and positioning Vice President-elect Kamala Harris as the tiebreaker of a 50-50 chamber.Biden Transition Biden after Electoral College affirms win: 'The rule of law, our Constitution and the will of the people prevailed' GOP senators still won't acknowledge Biden's win as some begin to recognize reality Trump's health secretary: 'Of course, we would' vaccinate Biden publicly if he asks MAP: Full presidential election results During the rally,...
    Santa and Mrs. Claus mingled with dozens of kids in a Georgia town. Then the pair tested positive for Covid Founder of Just for Laughs festival acquitted on rape charge 39 Gifts That Are Selling Like Hotcakes During The Holidays Ad Microsoft Top credit card wipes out interest until 2022 (seriously) Ad Microsoft This Is the Present Everyone's Talking About Ad Microsoft Full screen 1/29 SLIDES © AP / Shutterstock.com The current salary for the president of the United States is $400,000, while the...
    (CNN)Vice President Mike Pence is likely to receive the coronavirus vaccine by Friday, two sources familiar with the plans tell CNN.It's unclear if he will receive it before President Donald Trump.Tentative plans are being made for Pence to receive it on camera. This story is breaking and will be updated.
    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo lauded Attorney General William Barr for his handling of the Russia investigation in unusual comments touching on both domestic politics and foreign policy. President Trump was the subject of a two-year federal inquiry into allegations that he conspired with Russian strongman Vladimir Putin to defeat Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in his 2016 campaign. Pompeo, a possible 2024 presidential candidate, tweeted Tuesday that Barr adeptly managed the conclusion of the investigation, overseen by special counsel Robert Mueller. Trump and his supporters contend the investigation was based on a hoax perpetuated by the Democrats. "AG Barr crushed the propaganda generated by Mueller against President Trump and preserved our Republic from the rogue FBI and Special Counsel’s efforts to undermine the 2016 election based on a bogus theory of Russian collusion," Pompeo said in an extended post on Twitter. "President Trump had AG Barr’s support and commitment...
    FORMER Trump adviser Sebastian Gorka has called departing Attorney General Bill Barr a "coward" in a blistering TV interview. Speaking on Newsmax, Gorka said Barr failed the administration because he did not reveal the existence of federal tax investigations into Hunter Biden before the election. 8Sebastian Gorka on Newsmax "This man is a coward," Gorka said. "(He) promised us so much and delivered nothing. "Good riddance." Gorka's comments come after the Wall Street Journal this week revealed that Barr reportedly went further than previously known to keep the investigations under wraps. Barr and senior Justice Department officials specifically asked prosecutors if their staff members could be trusted and warned them against issuing subpoenas or taking other public investigative steps before the election. 8Joe Biden (R) points to some faces in the crowd with his son Hunter as they walk down Pennsylvania Avenue following the inauguration ceremony of President Barack Obama...
    President-elect Joe Biden’s hoarse voice and persistent coughing during his speech Monday night sparked concern among viewers and prompted one doctor to urge him to cough into his elbow. Biden celebrated Monday's Electoral College vote that announced he passed the 270 vote threshold and affirmed he won the presidency, saying 'Not even a pandemic or an abuse of power, can extinguish the flame' of democracy. However, Biden sounded hoarse and he stopped several times to cough and clear his throat during his speech from Wilmington, Delaware, leading social media users to crack jokes and say 'Drink some water, Joe. You’re scaring us.' One Twitter user asked 'Does Biden need a COVID test?' and another chimed in 'Someone get Biden some Robitussin stat!!!'   President-elect Joe Biden’s hoarse voice and persistent coughing during his speech Monday night sparked concern on social media and prompted one doctor to urge him to cough into his elbow...
    SACRAMENTO (CBS / AP) — California electors on Monday cast the state’s 55 votes for President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, formally cementing the Democratic presidential ticket’s victory over President Donald Trump. Biden and Harris, the home-state senator, carried the heavily Democratic state in a landslide on Election Day, defeating Trump by over 5 million votes. California, the nation’s most populous state with 40 million people, is the largest prize in the presidential election. The vote Monday was taken in a mostly subdued ceremony in the ornate state Assembly chamber in Sacramento, where electors wore face masks and were socially distanced at separate desks for safety because of the coronavirus pandemic. Among the electors from the Bay Area include Mattie Scott, who lost her son to gun violence and became an outspoken advocate for gun control, and Peter McCloskey, a former Republican Congressman who represented San Mateo County....
    Fox's "Outnumbered" panel reacted Monday to media predictions that a coronavirus vaccine was practically impossible by the end of 2020. President Trump's claim in May that the country would have a vaccine by year's end was met with derision in the mainstream press, including in an NBC News "fact check" at the time that Fox News contributor Joe Concha called nonsensical. "Unless you have 1.21 gigawatts, Doc Brown, and a DeLorean, you kind of can't fact-check something that hasn't happened yet in the future," Concha said, referring to the time-travel movie "Back to the Future." NBC'S COVID-19 VACCINE 'FACT CHECK' SEES NEWS OUTLET MOCKED Pfizer and Moderna both announced effective vaccines against coronavirus last month, and the first Pfizer jabs were distributed to health care workers on Monday. NBC News and others said earlier this year that it would require a "miracle" for that to happen. "They accused him of giving...
    Jerry Falwell Jr. spent millions in Liberty University money to regularly promote Donald Trump, hiring his allies and paying for political adverts, according to a report by Politico. The disgraced former president and chancellor of Liberty, who resigned in August amid allegations of an extra marital affair, is said to have used the funds to set up a university-funded campus 'think tank' in 2019.  Politico reports how Fawell, one of Trump's most vocal and ardent supporters in the 2016 election, created the Falkirk Center on campus to promote the Republican and his supporters. It then hired one of Trump's former advisers as well as his current attorney Jenna Ellis, the news site says. It has been pushing Trump's baseless election fraud claims since his defeat to Biden using social media and podcasts, the report also claims.  Politico also details how the Falkirk Center bought at least $50,000 in Facebook adverts to promote Trump...
    Fox News host Harris Faulkner called out the mainstream media on Monday for mocking President Donald Trump’s claims that a coronavirus vaccine could be developed and distributed by the end of 2020. Faulkner began the mini-segment by playing Trump’s earlier remarks from his Sunday Fox & Friends interview, where he stated, “If I wasn’t president, you wouldn’t have a vaccine for five years.” The Fox News then called out the media who doubted and fact-checked Trump. “In fact, let’s visit that for a moment,” she stated. “You’ll recall much of the media cast out, heavy doubt, on the president’s claim that the vaccine could come before years end.” “NBC News fact-checked him back in May when operation warp speed launched, ‘noting expert said he would need a miracle.’ NPR reported the president was ‘contradicting the CDC.” CNBC reported, “The evidence contradicted the president vaccine timetable,'” Faulkner concluded. Watch above,...
    MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s Agriculture Department has proposed rules for phasing out the use of glyphosate, the active ingredient in weed killer Roundup, by early 2024. The rules were praised by environmentalists and organic producers who have complained of pesticide contamination, but drew criticism from many farmers. President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has long objected to the pesticide, and in late 2019, Mexico blocked a 1,000-ton shipment of the pesticide from entering the country, citing health and environmental concerns. But previous rule proposals from the agriculture department had suggested that more study was needed. The new proposal is to look for replacements. “Until January 31, 2024, a transition period will be established to achieve the total substitution of glyphosate,” said the proposal published last week. On Monday, Mexico's Organic Producers' Society welcomed the latest proposal, but proposed a special label be established to certify products that are free of...
    (CNN) — Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election, but the next step in the process of finalizing Biden’s victory. Since Election Day on Nov. 3, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have certified their votes and named slates of electors, who will meet on Monday to formally cast their ballots for President and Vice President. Those ballots will be sent to Washington, where they will be counted by Congress on January 6. Once that happens, Biden will be inaugurated the 46th President on January 20 at noon. The system has been refined in the Constitution and detailed in US law over the last 200-plus years, but hasn’t seen a major overhaul since the 1870s, when the transcontinental railroad and the telegraph were on the cutting edge of technology and innovation. CNN readers have submitted more than 1,000 questions so far about what will happen on Monday and...
    The creators of South Park have mocked Donald Trump’s reaction to his election loss in a new festive ‘deepfake’ video that depicts him descending into meltdown as he reads out a Christmas story for kids. Brought to life by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the amusing skit shows Trump sulking as he reads a reindeer story with a political twist to reflect his defeat to Joe Biden in November and his failed attempts to cling on to power since. The parody aired in the latest episode of the comedy duo’s satirical webseries, Sassy Justice, and uses deepfake technology, which replaces one's likeness with another’s with uncannily convincing results. The skit shows a deepfake Trump in meltdown as he reads out a story about reindeer Trump’s character, which is played by Peter Serafinowicz, is seen sporting a colorful Christmas Jumper and a festive hat. ‘Once upon a time there was...
                               Presented by Mastercard     Welcome to The Hill’s Morning Report. It is Monday! We get you up to speed on the most important developments in politics and policy, plus trends to watch. Alexis Simendinger and Al Weaver are the co-creators, and readers can find us on Twitter @asimendinger and @alweaver22. Please recommend the Morning Report to friends and let us know what you think. CLICK HERE to subscribe! Total U.S. coronavirus deaths reported this morning: 299,181. Two events today will turn important pages in history, one representing the blazing speed of science and the end stage of a deadly pandemic and the other the slow-motion start of a new era in politics.    Arriving around the country today will be early doses of a vaccine that by summer could let Americans resume their pre-pandemic...
    CNN’s Jake Tapper ended Sunday’s State of the Union with a message of thanks for President Donald Trump. He cycled through some of the president’s achivements, including Operation Warp Speed, before bringing up some more “inadvertent” ones — like the way Trump has put a focus on how adversarial the relationship between the press and the powerful should be. But with regard to the legal shenanigans of the past week, Tapper said the president of the United States did everyone a favor regarding that “clownish legal brief” from Texas. Why? Well: “18 state attorneys general, some U.S. Senators, and a majority of the House Republican caucus — 126 members — supported it. President Trump did us a favor by exposing these elected officials. They are definitionally people who signed on to a desperate desire to subvert the will of the American people, to disenfranchise voters in Georgian, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan based...
    (CNN)We've known for weeks that Joe Biden won the 2020 presidential election, but our horse-and-buggy Constitution, written in a time before instant communication, works very slowly.Since Election Day on November 3, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have certified their votes and named slates of electors, who will meet on Monday to formally cast their ballots for President and Vice President -- the next step in the process of finalizing Biden's victory. Ask your questions about the Electoral College hereThose ballots will be sent to Washington, where they will be counted by Congress on January 6. Once that happens, Biden will be inaugurated the 46th President on January 20 at noon.The system has been refined in the Constitution and detailed in US law over the last 200-plus years, but hasn't seen a major overhaul since the 1870s, when the transcontinental railroad and the telegraph were on the cutting...
    BILL Barr has reportedly dismissed Donald Trump's attacks as a "deposed king ranting" and bullishly said he is not "intimidated" by the President. Sources claimed Barr is standing firm after Trump called him a "big disappointment" over failing to reveal the Justice Department investigation into Joe Biden's son Hunter. 8Bill Barr has reportedly refused to back down amid criticism from Donald TrumpCredit: AP:Associated Press 8Donald Trump has taken aim at Barr over allegations of voter fraud and the FBI probe into Hunter BidenCredit: AFP 8Hunter Biden is being investigated by the FBI over his taxesCredit: REUTERS The President lashed out at Barr on Saturday morning via Twitter and retweeted a call for the attorney general to be fired as he is furious the probe was not made public. Barr however is standing firm and plans to ride out the next 38 days until both he and the Trump leave office...
    By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — It didn't take the Supreme Court long to make short work of what President Donald Trump called “the big one.” And as the court on Friday rejected a Texas-based lawsuit to overturn the election results, not even Trump's three high court appointees were willing to rise to the defense of the president. Trump has been clinging to baseless claims of fraud in the hope of reversing election results that made Democrat Joe Biden the next president and deprived Trump of four more years in the White House. For all Trump's predictions that the court and his justices would make things right, he and his supporters were lacking one basic element: a strong legal argument that might plausibly attract some sympathy on a court now dominated by conservative justices. A Republican senator, Nebraska's Ben Sasse, delivered a stinging summary of the court's rebuke...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — It didn’t take the Supreme Court long to make short work of what President Donald Trump called “the big one.” And as the court on Friday rejected a Texas-based lawsuit to overturn the election results, not even Trump’s three high court appointees were willing to rise to the defense of the president. Trump has been clinging to baseless claims of fraud in the hope of reversing election results that made Democrat Joe Biden the next president and deprived Trump of four more years in the White House. For all Trump’s predictions that the court and his justices would make things right, he and his supporters were lacking one basic element: a strong legal argument that might plausibly attract some sympathy on a court now dominated by conservative justices. A Republican senator, Nebraska’s Ben Sasse, delivered a stinging summary of the court’s rebuke to Trump and his allies....
    A NEW YORK politician said Donald Trump cannot avoid state prosecutors if the president were to pardon himself for federal crimes. Todd Kaminsky, a state senator, wrote a bill that specifically closed a loophole in state law the president could have exploited to avoid facing indictments from state prosecutors, Business Insider reported. 2Todd Kaminsky wrote a New York law that closed a loophole in the state's double-jeopardy lawCredit: AFP - Getty Senate Bill S4572, signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo in October 2019, “authorizes prosecution where a person receives a presidential reprieve, pardon or other form of clemency” only if the pardon “represents a clearly defined conflict of interest.” Kaminsky told Business Insider that closing the state's double-jeopardy loophole meant that prosecutors could now indict anyone who the president has pardoned. "We knew that the president was corruptly using the pardon power. He did it in a number of...
    By Philip Pullella VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis urged countries on Saturday to work towards net zero carbon emissions and committed Vatican City - the world's smallest state - to reaching the target by 2050. Francis, who has championed environmental causes since his election in 2013, told a U.N. climate summit the 108-acre (44-hectare) city-state surrounded by Rome would be doing its bit to fight climate change. "The current pandemic and climate change, which are not only environmentally relevant, but also ethically, socially, economically and politically, affect, above all, the lives of the poorest and most fragile," he said in a video message to the summit. "In addition to adopting some measures that cannot be postponed any longer, a strategy is needed to reduce net emissions to zero," Francis said. He committed the Vatican "to reducing net emissions to zero by 2050," as well as intensifying environmental management efforts...
    By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer Not since World War II has a single phenomenon dominated the news worldwide as the COVID-19 pandemic has in 2020. In the United States, a tumultuous presidential election and a wave of protests over racial injustice also drew relentless coverage. Overshadowed, to an extent, were other dramatic developments. Among them: China’s crackdown on Hong Kong’s democracy; an apocalyptic explosion in Beirut; the shocking helicopter-crash death of basketball icon Kobe Bryant and his daughter. Some seemingly epic events early in the year now seem distant, like President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial and the January announcement by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle that they were exiting their prominent roles in Britain’s royal family. Just a few weeks later came the long-awaited Brexit, Britain’s formal withdrawal from the European Union. As most of the world battled COVID, armed conflicts broke out between Armenia and Azerbaijan and in...
    Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Tags: Associated PressGalleriesNewsCartoons on President Donald TrumpPhotosPhotos: Daily Life, DisruptedPhotosArmenia-Azerbaijan Conflict EscalatesNewsThe Week in Cartoons: Dec. 7-11RecommendedNational NewsFDA Issues EUA for Pfizer VaccineAmerica 2020Supreme Court Tosses Texas LawsuitAmerica 2020Donald Trump v. The CourtsPoliticsHunter Biden Probe Complicates AG PickAmerica 2020Biden Gets the Band Back TogetherCoronavirus Bulletin Stay informed daily on the latest news and advice on COVID-19 from the editors at U.S. News & World Report.Sign UpSign in to manage your newsletters »You May Also LikeThe 10 Worst PresidentsNot all U.S. presidents are missed once they leave the White House.U.S. News StaffDec. 19, 2019Cartoons on President Donald TrumpDec. 10, 2020, at 2:24 p.m. Photos: Obama Behind the ScenesA collection of moments during and after Barack Obamas presidency.June 27, 2018Photos: Who Supports Joe Biden?The former vice president has become the Democratic front-runner with primary victories...
    WASHINGTON (AP) — President Trump says Supreme Court ‘really let us down’ by rejecting lawsuit aimed at overturning Biden victory. Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
    CNN political and legal analyst Michael Smerconish complained that President Donald Trump “got off easy” when the Supreme Court brusquely dispatched the Texas attorney general’s lawsuit to overturn the 2020 election for him. Speaking on a Cuomo Prime Time panel after the breaking news of the Court’s terse, one-page rejection of the suit for lack of standing, Smerconish told host Chris Cuomo that he would’ve preferred the justices more thoroughly expose the baseless and phony voter fraud claims that it relied upon. “Will this be a watershed moment? Will the Supreme Court show that there is still a line between right and wrong in government, that there is truth, that everything isn’t fake if you feel that way?” Cuomo asked Smerconish and fellow panelist Ana Navarro. “What does tonight mean? And what happens next?” “I don’t like it at all. I think the president got off easy,” Smerconish said. “The answer is a definitive no. Last night, I told...
    Utah State’s season finale against Colorado State was canceled as Aggie players opted out in protest of comments allegedly made by USU president Noelle Crockett.  Utah State’s 2020 campaign was already a great disappointment with a 1-5 record. It’ll end under worse conditions than just a losing record. Following a players-only meeting on Friday, the Aggies decided not to play their final game against Colorado State “due to ongoing inequality and prejudicial issues between the players, coaches and the USU administration.” The players delivered their statement to Stadium, raising questions about university leadership’s handling of their head coaching search and other concerning instances.Utah State players claim USU’s president made discriminatory statements about interim head coach Frank MaileThe inciting incident for Friday’s cancelation happened on Tuesday when the USU Football Leadership Council held a Zoom meeting with university president Noelle Cockett and athletic director John Hartwell. The players expressed their support...
    On Friday’s broadcast of the Fox Business Network’s “Evening Edit,” Rep. Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) stated that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) “meddled” when they sent a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray back in October urging him to “resist pressure from President Trump and other partisan actors to take any actions intended to benefit President Trump politically on the eve of the election” regarding investigations of the Biden family. Reschenthaler said, “Of course they meddled. … [L]et’s say the roles were reversed and these were Republicans telling the DOJ to sit on a story regarding a Republican presidential candidate’s family. The media would be going berserk, the fact that there’s a double standard here is so apparent and the hypocrisy is incredibly rich.” Follow Ian Hanchett on Twitter @IanHanchett
    Oracle leaving Silicon Valley for Texas North Korea accused of using virus to crack down on rights Utah State football players opt out of season finale after comments by school president Colorado State's college football season-finale against Utah State scheduled for Saturday night was canceled Friday under unique circumstances. Texas A&M jumps into top five of Amway Coaches Poll Auburn Wire See more videos SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL What to watch next UAB to face Rice with C-USA West title on the line WVTM 13 Birmingham Texas school for the deaf reaches state football championship for 1st time TODAY Boise State returns the gridiron at Wyoming on Saturday KIVI Boise, ID WATCH: Georgia youth football coach appears to repeatedly hit child NBC News Unifying moment: ESPNs Sage Steele explains why Army-Navy is greatest rivalry in sports USA TODAY...
    Study finds Boston conference led to 300K global coronavirus cases Earths carbon dioxide emissions have record drop Report: Utah State football players opt out of season finale after comments by school president Colorado State's college football season-finale against Utah State scheduled for Saturday night was canceled Friday under unique circumstances. Texas A&M jumps into top five of Amway Coaches Poll Auburn Wire See more videos SHARE SHARE TWEET SHARE EMAIL What to watch next Texas school for the deaf reaches state football championship for 1st time TODAY Boise State returns the gridiron at Wyoming on Saturday KIVI Boise, ID WATCH: Georgia youth football coach appears to repeatedly hit child NBC News Unifying moment: ESPNs Sage Steele explains why Army-Navy is greatest rivalry in sports USA TODAY SPORTS 2 ABC13 legends honored in southwest Houston ABC 13 Houston ...
    President-elect Joe Biden was confronted today by Fox News’ Peter Doocy about investigations regarding his son, Hunter Biden, but ducked Doocy’s question and simply replied he was proud of his son before walking away. Biden was taking a few questions after his press conference Friday in Wilmington, DE where he and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris introduced a few new Cabinet picks. The video clip, aired by Bill Hemmer during his afternoon program, Biden on the stage, wearing his face mask. Doocy can be heard off-camera shouting questions at Biden. “Did Hunter Biden commit a crime?” asked Doocy. “Have you spoken to your son, Mr. President-Elect?” “I’m proud of my son,” replied Biden, who then started walking off the stage. News broke this week that Hunter Biden’s taxes are under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Delaware. President Donald Trump has tweeted his frustration that the FBI and DOJ had not...
    SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A Texas man released from prison after his sentence was commuted by former President Barack Obama has again been indicted on federal drug trafficking charges, according to Department of Justice officials. Hilario Nieto, 41, of San Antonio, is among eight people indicted on charges of conspiracy to possess and distribute methamphetamine and heroin in the San Antonio area, federal officials announced Thursday. John Convery, who is representing Nieto, said it is early in the case and there is no additional information he can provide but presumes his client innocent. Nieto was sentenced in 2004 to more than 20 years in federal prison on drug charges, according to the federal officials. He was scheduled for release in 2021. Obama commuted Nieto's sentence in 2016, the Justice Department said, and he was released in 2018. “It is truly appalling that a man whose sentence the President previously commuted...
    Hershel Walker, Bill Belichick, Mariano Rivera and many more star athletes have been picked by President Donald Trump to serve on the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness and Nutrition. “INBOX: White House announces that Trump has appointed Mariano Rivera, Bill Belichick, Herschel Walker, Johnny Damon, Natalie Gulbis and a host of others to serve on the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition,” a tweet Friday from Daily Caller White House Correspondent Christian Datoc read. (RELATED: ‘You Don’t Determine Who We Vote For’: Football Legend Herschel Walker Blasts Joe Biden Following ‘Ain’t Black’ Comment) INBOX: White House announces that Trump has appointed Mariano Rivera, Bill Belichick, Herschel Walker, Johnny Damon, Natalie Gulbis and a host of others to serve on the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition pic.twitter.com/NwYKK3ADGi — Christian Datoc (@TocRadio) December 11, 2020 The post included the entire list of athletes who had been selected by...
    The National Defense Authorization Act is headed to President Trump's desk for a signature after the Senate approved the annual defense spending bill by an overwhelming majority on Friday. Mr. Trump has threatened to veto the bill, setting up a test for congressional Republicans who may grant the president his veto override in the waning days of his administration. The bill passed in the Senate with 84-13 votes, clearing the 67-vote threshold needed to override a presidential veto. It passed in the House earlier this week by a vote of 335 to 78. If Mr. Trump does follow through on his promise to veto the bill, Congress would have to vote again on the measure, which would once more need the support from two-thirds of each chamber in order to become law. The NDAA has passed every year for the past 59 years, and most congressional Republicans seem unwilling to break...
     Presented by Alibaba  To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw  To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.    The Hill’s 12:30 Report: FDA could authorize COVID-19 vaccine on Saturday | FDA panel votes in favor of vaccine | Panelist who voted ‘no’ explains reasoning | Threat of brief shutdown grows | Multiple senators delay bills | Biden’s insider White House team | Plans to disinfect before move-in | Hunter Biden probe breathes new life | Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears drop collab together   LATEST WITH THE CORONAVIRUS One small step for the FDA panel, one big leap for Americans:     A Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committee voted yesterday in favor of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine will now head...
    Federal inmate Brandon Bernard was executed at 9:27 p.m. on Thursday, despite a last-ditch effort by advocates, celebrities, the prosecutor who jailed him, and at least one Trumpworld luminary to convince the president to spare his life. “Tonight, we who love Brandon Bernard—and we are many—are full of righteous anger and deep sadness at the actions of the federal government in taking his life. Brandon’s life mattered,” Bernard’s attorney Robert Owens said in a statement to The Daily Beast. The execution of the 40-year-old by lethal injection at a federal facility in Indiana was the ninth federal execution under President Donald Trump’s watch. But it was notable, in part, because of how it pitted him against a cadre of allies he had nurtured during his time in office. Attorneys Alan Dershowitz and Ken Starr—both veterans of Trump’s legal defense during the impeachment trial this year—had joined Bernard’s legal team...
    By James Oliphant (Reuters) - The U.S. presidential election was defined at first by a paralyzing coronavirus pandemic that upended traditional campaigning and then by President Donald Trump's frenzied but failing efforts to reverse his loss to Democrat Joe Biden. The pandemic – and Trump's handling of it – proved to be a big reason why Trump lost. A majority of Americans believed he didn't take the outbreak seriously enough. He flouted safety protocols and insisted the country return to normal as the economy ground to a halt. More than 286,000 lives have been lost to COVID-19 in the United States, by far the worst hit country. Biden took a different approach. He urged the public to listen to experts and take precautions, including masks and social distancing. He essentially canceled in-person events for months, reaching voters virtually instead. In the end, he was rewarded: Biden received more than 80...
            by Dr. Hal Scherz  Georgians have a big decision to make come January when runoff elections for the state’s two Senate seats will determine if President-elect Biden and his allies in Congress have a clear path to push their legislative agenda. Healthcare reform is a key component on the to-do list and if Democrats control all the levers of government, patients will suffer. We’ve seen this movie before. During the last healthcare reform push under a Democrat-controlled Congress and White House, Obamacare was born. At the time, President Obama misled Americans by suggesting they could keep their doctor and insurance plan if they liked it, knowing full well that it wasn’t a promise he would be able to keep. From the beginning, intentions behind the legislation were to shift decision-making power from patients and their doctors to Washington D.C.—all while compelling Americans to participate in...
    PSG have handed race-row victim Pierre Webo a special jersey after the delayed Champions League tie with his club Istanbul Basaksehir. Romanian fourth official Sebastian Coltescu could quit football rather than face a possible 10-match Uefa ban after both sides accused him of racism. 4Paris Sain-Germain SG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi gives Pierre Webo a No9 shirt after the Istanbul coach allegedly suffered racism in the original tie 4Pierre Webo was among those angered by what he perceived as racism towards him from Romanian fourth official Sebastian Coltescu 4Playes from both teams, including PSG superstars Kylian Mbappe and Neymar, warmed up in tops with a clear anti-racism messageCredit: EPA Coltescu sparked a walk-off from both teams after he identified Basaksehir coach Webo as "the black one" when asked by referee Ovidiu Hategan who to approach. Webo  was shown a red card but was on the bench for Wednesday night's tie - lasting 76 minutes due to...
    When a party loses the White House, the new crop of presidential confidence usually begins to move quickly to lay the groundwork for a run in the next campaign. Not this year. President Donald Trump’s blatant flirtations to run again in 2024 are crippling a wide field of Republican candidates. Instead of accessing fundraisers, building networks and visiting early voting states – the usual campaign planning steps – GOP needs White House believers to see what Mr Trump will do next to annoy him and risk disrupting his large and loyal base. This is the way the president wants it, making sure he gets the attention he wants and creating the money and media coverage he wants. Read our full report on the US election and its aftermath. But strategists say Mr Trump is essentially leaving the party because candidates are not ready because they are trying to avoid...
     Presented by Alibaba  To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw  To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN  --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.   The Hill’s 12:30 Report: Developments in the stimulus talks | White House offers proposal | Includes $600 checks, trimmed down unemployment benefits | Dems reject proposal | Direct payments more likely in a later bill | Biden’s defense pick faces hurdles | HHS nominee faces GOP opposition | Vaccine supply challenges | Pence visits Cape Canaveral | Biden announces Lloyd Austin for Pentagon chief at 2:30 p.m. | National Pastry Day   IN CONGRESS ‘I raise you $600 stimulus checks, but take out the unemployment benefit’:     Via The New York Times’s Emily Cochrane, “Jump-starting negotiations with days to spare, the White House on Tuesday offered Democrats a $916...
    Russian MPs have backed a plan to give their presidents lifetime immunity from prosecution, as part of a package of reforms championed by Vladimir Putin.   The draft law would expand Putin's immunity to cover any actions committed in his lifetime, not just during his term in office.  Putin, 68, has already cleared the way to run for two more terms once his current mandate ends in 2024 - but the draft law has triggered fresh speculation about his intentions.  The new immunity rules were part of a raft of constitutional reforms which were proposed by Putin and approved by Russian voters in a referendum last summer.   The draft law approved by Russian MPs means that Vladimir Putin (pictured today) would be immune from prosecution for any actions committed in his lifetime  The new bill means that the president cannot be detained, arrested or interrogated, and his home, office and...
    A prankster who created a fake Twitter account in the name of Donald Trump's sister, and who was retweeted by the president, has been exposed as a 21-year-old food delivery worker from Pennsylvania. Josh Hall, a fervent Trump supporter, said that he created the accounts for Elizabeth Trump Grau, their brother Robert Trump, and a series of other political figures just to amuse himself. He also made money, selling t-shirts and soliciting $7,300 in donations via a GoFundMe page. Josh Hall, a 21-year-old food delivery driver, managed to fool the president with a fake Twitter Hall, from Mechanicsburg, PA, 'was just trying to rally up MAGA supporters and have fun' Hall has insisted there was 'nothing nefarious' in his creation of fake Twitter accounts Hall said he became interested in politics in 2016, when he was a teenager, inspired by Trump. 'I kind of thought he was...
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A majority of the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday backed a $740 billion defense policy bill that President Donald Trump has pledged to veto. As voting continued, the vote in the Democratic-led House was 276 to 56 in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, a margin that would be large enough to override a veto. It must pass the Senate, which is due to vote in the coming days, before it will be sent to the White House for Trump's signature or veto. (Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Sandra Maler) Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters. Tags: United StatesGalleriesNewsCartoons on President Donald TrumpPhotosPhotos: Daily Life, DisruptedPhotosArmenia-Azerbaijan Conflict EscalatesNewsThe Week in Cartoons: Nov. 30-Dec. 4RecommendedAmerica 2020Texas Case a Hail Mary for TrumpAmerica 2020High Court Denies GOP Election ChallengeAmerica 2020Biden Calls on Public to Help Address PandemicBest StatesDivorce Rate by StateNational NewsArmy Disciplines Fort Hood CommandersCoronavirus...
    By BEN FOX, Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. election and cybersecurity official who was fired last month by President Donald Trump filed a lawsuit Tuesday over threatening remarks by a lawyer for the president that prompted a wave of death threats against him. Christopher Krebs says in the suit that he has been “bombarded” with threats since attorney Joseph diGenova appeared on the pro-Trump TV network Newsmax and called for Krebs to be killed. “The defendants’ threats have upended plaintiff’s life, as well as his family’s security, and caused serious fear, distress, suffering, and even physical damage,” he said in the lawsuit, filed in diGenova's home state of Maryland. Amid the threats, Krebs, a Republican and Trump appointee, was forced to move out of his home in Virginia for several days and hire private security. He still keeps his children from playing in their front yard out of...
    President-elect Joe Biden has announced that he plans to nominate retired Gen. Lloyd Austin to serve as his secretary of defense. If confirmed, the retired four-star Army general will be the first Black Secretary of Defense. That's historic, by any measure. The general, an Obama administration insider faces a new world of threats from China – and gains a military vastly improved by President Trump.  Appointing a Black person to one of the big Cabinet posts in the administration was a high priority for Team Biden and in Austin they found a very strong pick. He's a nominee that the Senate will love. But let’s move on from race, for the choice of Austin is fascinating on many levels. First, the Democrats are already fussing about “another general.” The New York Times fretted a retired general should not be Secretary of Defense and even the Stars and Stripes newspaper predicted turmoil. KEY HOUSE DEMOCRAT...
    President Donald Trump ended his Tuesday remarks at a coronavirus vaccine summit by denying that President-elect Joe Biden won the 2020 general election. Trump’s comments were prompted by NBC’s Peter Alexander, who asked why the administration had not invited anyone from Biden’s team to attend the event as they will be responsible for overseeing the majority of the distribution. (RELATED: FDA Releases Tranche Of Pfizer Data And Documents, Clearing Way For Vaccine’s Emergency Approval) WASHINGTON, DC – DECEMBER 07: President Donald Trump speaks to the media after presenting the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Dan Gable in the Oval Office on December 07, 2020 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images) “We’re going to have to see who the next administration is because we won in those swing states, and there were terrible things that went on,” Trump answered. “Whichever the next administration is will really be able to...
    FLOYD MAYWEATHER vs Logan Paul has been given the seal of approval by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman. The pair will clash in an exhibition boxing fight on February 20 which is set to generate millions for both men. 4Logan Paul's fight with Floyd Mayweather has been approved by WBC chief Mauricio SulaimanCredit: Getty Images - Getty 4The pair will clash on February 20 in an exhibition boutCredit: Getty Images - Getty It means Mayweather, 43, is still waiting for his first pro fight since going 50-0 against Conor McGregor in August 2017. Considered to be one of the greatest boxers ever, Mayweather is heavy favourite to beat YouTuber Paul. The social media star, 25, himself has had just one professional fight, which ended in defeat to British video game YouTuber KSI last year. It’s reckoned Paul pocketed a minimum of £1million from the clash. But that will pale in comparison...
     Presented by Alibaba  To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN  --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.   The Hill’s 12:30 Report: First Britons vaccinated | Potential U.S. vaccination start timeline | Trump reportedly turned down offer to buy more vaccine doses | White House denies report | Gottlieb says Trump officials passed on ‘multiple offers’ to buy more Pfizer vaccine | Where the COVID-19 relief package stands | Congress dares Trump to veto defense bill | Jupiter, Saturn closest in the sky since 1600s | National Brownie Day   HAPPENING TODAY The first Pfizer vaccinations have been given out:     Via CNN’s Ivana Kottasová and Emma Reynolds, U.K. citizens started receiving the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine today. https://cnn.it/2K4j68M  The first person in the U.K. to receive...
    BETHESDA, Md. (WJZ) — The doctor who criticized President Donald Trump’s brief fan drive-by outside of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center while ill with the coronavirus will be removed from the center’s schedule starting in January, CBS News reports. President Trump tested positive for COVID-19 in early October and was briefly hospitalized at Walter Reed, but recovered fairly quickly according to the White House. Dr. James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University and an attending physician at Walter Reed Medical Center, tweeted that Mr. Trump’s brief departure from the hospital was “theater” and called it “insanity.” >WJZ has a new news app! Download it now!
    Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was named Goya Foods's "employee of the month" earlier this year after the company’s sales increased when the New York Democrat called for a boycott. "When she boycotted us, our sales actually increased 1,000%," Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue said on the radio during the Michael Berry Show on Monday. "So we gave her an honorary. We never were able to hand it to her, but she got 'employee of the month' for bringing attention to Goya and our adobo." In July, Unanue praised President Trump during a Rose Garden speech, which sparked the ire of Ocasio-Cortez. “We're all truly blessed ... to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder,” Unanue said at the time. “We have an incredible builder, and we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president." Ocasio-Cortez hit back at the remarks on Twitter and signaled her support...
    Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a former Bush White House medical advisor, urged both the outgoing and incoming president to get any Covid-19 vaccine as soon as it is granted emergency-use approval by the FDA. Speaking with CNN’s Erin Burnett on Monday evening, Reiner strongly recommended President-elect Joe Biden and his running mate, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris be among the first in the nation to get inoculated from the coronavirus, as part of the White House protection protocol. “Erin, if the emergency use authorization for the vaccine is issued, let’s say this Thursday, on December 10th, I would vaccinate the president-elect Thursday evening, December 10th,” Reiner said. “I would vaccinate him right away.” Reiner then divulged that, after the anthrax mail attacks in late 2001, then-President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney were both vaccinated against that deadly agent. “So think about it this way. We are under attack by this virus,” Reiner noted. “Don’t forget, with the...
    Washington (CNN)President-elect Joe Biden could return to the nation's capital for his inauguration ceremony the way he long bridged his life at home and his job in politics: On an Amtrak train from Wilmington, Delaware, to Washington, DC.It would be a fitting moment for the man who took roughly 8,000 round trips on that same route during his time as senator and vice president -- earning him the moniker "Amtrak Joe" -- and who four years ago left Washington by train on his final day as vice president.Biden's inauguration team is eyeing a rail arrival as one of a number of plans being discussed for the January celebration, Democrats familiar with the planning told CNN. The plan is far from finalized and there is a great deal of uncertainty around all inauguration planning given the coronavirus pandemic, the Democrats cautioned. A spokesperson for Biden's presidential inaugural committee declined to comment.Biden's...
    Eugene Gologursky/Getty Images for International Women’s Media Foundation) MSNBC is reportedly undergoing a change in leadership. The Wall Street Journal broke news Monday that network president Phil Griffin is being replaced by NBC/MSNBC executive Rashida Jones. The Journal report notes this would make Griffin “the first Black executive to run a major cable news network.” Jones is expected to succeed Griffin in February. This story is developing. Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
     Presented by Alibaba  To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw  To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.    The Hill’s 12:30 Report: Congress poised to extend government funding by a week | Coronavirus talks tied in | COVID-19 relief package doesn't include $1,200 checks | UK begins COVID-19 vaccinations on Tuesday | Ga. to recertify election results after recount | Mich. judge rejects GOP efforts to decertify results | Biden unveils health team | Becerra chosen for HHS | Gives Calif. gov. potential to nominate 3 important posts | Melania announces completed White House tennis pavilion   IN CONGRESS Writing about government funding fights feels a bit like Groundhog Day these days:     With government funding expiring this Friday, lawmakers are likely...
    Fox News’ Chris Wallace grilled Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on the failures of the Trump administration coronavirus response as cases, deaths, and hospitalizations all continue to rise heading into what are projected to be an even worse winter. Wallace spoke with Azar about the encouraging news of vaccine distribution within weeks before asking about the alarming surges. And Wallace bluntly asked, “Secretary Azar, isn’t this the result of a massive failure by President Trump and his administration?” Azar pointed to surges in other countries and said, “It’s about behavior and cold weather… We need people to renew their commitment.” Wallace brought up how Joe Biden has publicly and repeatedly encouraged mask use while President Donald Trump early on made comments undermining that effort. “If President Trump had worn a mask then and urged everyone to wear a mask then, back in April, the way Joe Biden...
    Nearly every member of the press present at President Trump's rally in Georgia on Saturday night typed the words he had been wanting to hear since early November. 'Rigged Election!' journalists typed into their laptops and cellphones as the rally got underway.  Unfortunately for Trump, it wasn't a story they were writing but the Wifi password at the venue - the latest effort by the president's campaign to troll members of the press.  Members of the press were forced to use the password 'RiggedElection!' if they wanted to logon to the wifi network at the event held in an aircraft hangar in Georgia Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis gleefully tweeted about the stunt the Trump campaign pulled  The Trump team were fully open about their intentions. Journalists present at the event first had to log onto the network 'Make America Great Again,' before then typing in the password 'RiggedElection!'  Trump...
    Sarah Stier/Getty Images Alejandro Villanueva #78 works to protect Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger #7 from Leonard Williams #99 of the New York Giants on September 14, 2020. On Friday the White House announced that President Trump signed H.R. 8276, “which authorizes the President to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to Alwyn C. Cashe for acts of valor during Operation Iraqi Freedom….” The bill waives a federal law that requires a Medal of Honor to be awarded within five years of the actions that give rise to the award. In effect, it paves the way for the Department of Defense to formally recommend to the President that he award SFC Cashe the Medal of Honor. “Now that we have enacted bipartisan legislation to remove the only obstacle standing in the way of Alwyn receiving the Medal of Honor, which the Department of Defense has already concluded he...
    Washington (CNN)Days after the election, Mike Pence called a close friend for a 30-minute conversation to analyze what had just happened and what it all might mean for the future of the Republican Party. According to this person, the vice president was upbeat about the success of GOP candidates lower down the ballot, but Pence also sounded skeptical about the various lawsuits and legal challenges that the President's campaign was preparing."I'm not sure (he spoke) with the vigor of a man who is confident these suits will be successful," the friend told CNN.Whatever his tone implied, Pence has struck a careful balance since the election. In his rare public remarks, he has refrained from fully endorsing Trump's false claims the election was fraudulent, promising instead to fight to ensure "every legal vote is counted." And while the President has continued to tweet baseless conspiracies about a stolen election, Pence has...
    Rudy Giuliani boisterously declared that the path to the presidency for Trump did not involve the courts as judges in six states rejected his team's election fraud appeals, dealing a crucial blow to the president's effort to secure a second term.  Trump's personal lawyer was speaking on Hannity Friday as he made the claim and bemoaned about recent rejections in both Nevada and Georgia. 'The simple fact is, we don't need courts. The United States Constitution gives sole power to the state legislator to decide presidential elections,' Giuliani explained to Hannity. 'In fact, if we go back to the Founding Fathers, they would tell us that we are making a mistake.  Rudy Giuliani made the boisterous claim while appearing on Hannity Friday and as judges in six states rejected the Trump team's attempt to secure the election 'This should be thrown right to the House of Representatives and...
    President Trump's nominee for a top Pentagon position has sent out a tweet calling for the president to impose martial law and a revote overseen by the U.S. military. Scott O'Grady, the president's pick for an assistant secretary job, also has compared the elections to a 'coup' and echoed Trump's own claim that he won in a 'landslide,' despite losing to President-elect Joe Biden by more than 7 million votes. He retweeted one post that said 'Trump won & Biden & his Comrades will now attempt a coup.' President Trump's nominee for a top Pentagon position has sent out a tweet calling for the president to impose martial law and a revote overseen by the U.S. military. He also blasted out a tweet by former Trump national security advisor Mike Flynn that referenced 'limited form of martial law.' It showed Biden next to Chinese President Xi Jinping.  The petition O'Grady...
    More On: Coronavirus SEC fines Cheesecake Factory for hiding COVID-fueled cash burn Greece digs cemeteries just for COVID victims as country enters second lockdown UK health official says mask wearing in nation may persist for ‘many years’ World War II vet beats COVID-19, marks 104th birthday WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday vowed that Congress would not leave for the Christmas holidays without reaching a deal on coronavirus relief following months of gridlock led by Democrats. At her weekly press conference, Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters that she had spoken with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) by phone on Thursday about a potential deal and said negotiations between Democrats and the GOP were progressing. “We’re making progress,” Pelosi said. “We’ll take the time we need and we must get it done,” she went on. “We cannot leave without it.” A $908 billion bipartisan stimulus proposal unveiled on...
     Presented by Capital One  To view past editions of The Hill's 12:30 Report, click here: http://bit.ly/1M1mIfw  To receive The Hill's 12:30 Report in your inbox, please sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Tt4hqN  --> A midday take on what's happening in politics and how to have a sense of humor about it.* *Ha. Haha. Hahah. Sniff. Haha. Sniff. Ha--breaks down crying hysterically.   The Hill’s 12:30 Report: Fauci to serve as Biden’s chief medical adviser | Economy adds 245k jobs, lower than expectations | Trump health officials sound alarms on COVID-19 | Trump stays largely silent | Obama, Pence campaign in Georgia today | Trump follows with Saturday Georgia trip |  U.S. tops 14M COVID-19 cases | National Cookie Day deals   NEWS THIS MORNING Yes! Yes! A million times yes!:     Anthony FauciAnthony FauciHarris: 'Of course I will' take COVID-19 vaccine Overnight Health Care: Biden asked Fauci to serve as chief medical adviser | COVID-19 relief picks up steam as McConnell, Pelosi hold talks...
    PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron called on Friday for respect after Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan described him as a burden on France. Macron also told news website Brut that Erdogan was limiting freedoms for Turkish people. Erdogan said he hoped France would soon get rid of Macron. (Reporting by Michel Rose and Geert De Clercq; Writing by Matthieu Protard; Editing by Catherine Evans) Copyright 2020 Thomson Reuters. Tags: Turkey, France, Asia, European Union, Middle East, Europe
    Former national security advisor Mike Flynn said that he faced 'political persecution of the highest order' prior to his pardon from President Trump. One week after he was pardoned, Flynn addressed his freedom and persecution during Fox News' 'Lou Dobbs Tonight' on Thursday. Flynn, who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russian contacts during the Trump administration's transition, described a faulty justice system at play. 'As my family and I, particularly my wife and I talked about it and honestly prayed over it, we came to the conclusion that this was the right moment in time to do this -- that the justice system that we were facing was just not going to function properly,' Flynn, 61, said. 'And it was very, very obvious that that was going to be the case.' Michael Flynn (pictured) said he 'faced political persecution of the highest order' during the...
    Attorneys for President Donald Trump's reelection campaign told a Nevada judge in the first election fraud hearing on Thursday that more than 85,000 votes were illegally cast 'by dead people and non-residents'. One of the lawyers, Jesse Binnall, had previously said he intends to prove that fraudulent votes were cast and that Trump won the state, not President-elect Joe Biden.  During a hearing before state Judge James Russell in Carson City, Binnall claimed that more than 85,000 votes in Nevada were cast illegally. Attorneys for President Donald Trump 's reelection campaign told a Nevada judge (pictured) in the first election fraud hearing on Thursday that more than 85,000 votes were illegally cast 'by dead people and non-residents' One of the lawyers, Jesse Binnall (pictured), had previously said he intends to prove that fraudulent votes were cast and that Trump won the state, not President-elect Joe Biden . During...
    President-elect Joe BidenJoe BidenLawsuit alleges 200K Georgia voters were wrongly purged from registration list GOP lawmaker blasts incoming freshman over allegations of presidential voter fraud Haaland has competition to be first Native American to lead Interior  MORE said on Thursday that China must play by “international norms” when speaking about possible retaliatory action against the country for mishandling the coronavirus pandemic when it first broke out. During Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala HarrisKamala HarrisMiddle East: Quick start for Biden diplomacy Hillicon Valley: GOP chairman says defense bill leaves out Section 230 repeal | Senate panel advances FCC nominee | Krebs says threats to election officials 'undermining democracy' Top intelligence official says China targeting foreign influence at incoming Biden administration MORE's first joint interview since wining the election, CNN host Jake TapperJacob (Jake) Paul TapperThe Hill's 12:30 Report — Presented by Capital One — Pressure builds as UK approves COVID-19 vaccine Biden, Harris...
    President Donald Trump was in a “New York State of Mind” this week during a 46-minute speech in which he called out the state's attorney general, Letitia James, for investigating his organization. Poll Do You Think AG James Should Continue Investigating The President? Yes No Undecided Submit Vote View Results Subscribe to the results of this poll We'll send you an email when the poll is complete. Subscribe Get Daily Voice in your inbox as well Current Results Do You Think AG James Should Continue Investigating The President? Yes 0% No 0% Undecided 0% Back to Vote Subscribe to the results During his lengthy diatribe shown on Facebook, Trump expressed concerns about the various fraud investigations launched by James’ office and by other prosecutors in New York that he will have to confront when he leaves office next month. James was...
    Bradley Cortright December 3, 2020 0 Comments Mary Trump claims her uncle, President Donald Trump, cannot admit that he lost the presidential election and that he will try to undermine Americans’ trust in government institutions in response to the outcome of the election.  She told co-hosts of “The View” on Thursday that it is “impossible” for her uncle to “believe that he lost.” She explained: “He’s lost before in his life. But, he’s never had to be in a situation in which he can’t somehow turn that loss into a win either through cheating or buying his way out of a jam, or using somebody else’s connections in power. There’s literally nothing he can do about this.” “So, it’s sort of unfathomable because in my family, losing was literally the worst thing you could do. So it’s putting enormous amounts of pressure on him,” she added. She went on to claim...